Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kansas City BBQ places

Started by hog20, April 07, 2015, 10:36:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog20

Best place to eat BBQ especially around Royals???

DLUXHOG

Joe's Kansas City BBQ (used to be called "Oklahoma Joe's".....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hog20

Hogfly

Quote from: DLUXHOG on April 07, 2015, 10:49:03 am
Joe's Kansas City BBQ (used to be called "Oklahoma Joe's".....

The other one that is getting a LOT of love among KC BBQ aficionados now is called Q39. OK Joes used to be the BBQ insider place, but it seems that Q39 is starting to overtake it, at least among the KC folks I talk with. That being said, OKJ's is amazing, and I haven't personally gotten to try Q39 yet.

http://www.q39kc.com/

BR

Jackstack, Smoking Guns, LC's, Joes, Q39
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

popcornhog

I've lived in KC for 18 months. In my opinion (and most people agree), Oklahoma Joe's is the best.

Tied for second -- Arthur Bryant's for ribs or pulled pork; Jon Russel for burnt ends (particularly the burnt end and sausage sandwich).

In my opinion, Jack Stack is certainly good but it's nowhere near the best. It is quite overrated. It just feels like a damn Applebee's to me.

B.B.'s Lawnside is pretty good -- but it's by far the best atmosphere -- live music at the bar and a big porch.

Q39 deserves a mention for burnt ends. There's a new barbecue joint called Char bar that is right up there with the others mentioned in this thread.

You really can't go wrong with any of these.
WPS

hogslobber

popcornhog

Quote from: hogslobber on April 09, 2015, 09:04:57 am
Hayward's is my favorite.

http://haywards-bbq.com

Arthur Bryant's is famous

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com

Does Hayward's have a location in Kansas City now?
WPS

cosmodrum

Joe's for brisket/burnt ends, Gates for ribs and beef sammiches, Jack Stack for ribs/burnt ends and the best beans on Earth. LC's for burnt ends. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Arthur Bryant's is famous, but you'll either love the sauce or hate it.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: popcornhog on April 08, 2015, 06:24:19 pm
I've lived in KC for 18 months. In my opinion (and most people agree), Oklahoma Joe's is the best.

Tied for second -- Arthur Bryant's for ribs or pulled pork; Jon Russel for burnt ends (particularly the burnt end and sausage sandwich).

In my opinion, Jack Stack is certainly good but it's nowhere near the best. It is quite overrated. It just feels like a damn Applebee's to me.

B.B.'s Lawnside is pretty good -- but it's by far the best atmosphere -- live music at the bar and a big porch.

Q39 deserves a mention for burnt ends. There's a new barbecue joint called Char bar that is right up there with the others mentioned in this thread.

You really can't go wrong with any of these.

Jack Stack doesn't have the real KC BBQ feel to it (white cloth establishment), but the food is on point.
Go away, batin'

Hogfly

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 09, 2015, 09:46:52 am
Jack Stack doesn't have the real KC BBQ feel to it (white cloth establishment), but the food is on point.

I agree with this. Jack Stack feels like a "nice" restaurant, which I don't personally mind. I think that, overall, Jack Stack has the best cuisine or dining experience but not necessarily the best BBQ.

I think Q39 trends in that direction as well, but I haven't been there yet.

When I eat Joe's, I usually just call in and get it to go instead of dealing with the insanity (thanks Bourdain).

hogslobber

Quote from: popcornhog on April 09, 2015, 09:19:45 am
Does Hayward's have a location in Kansas City now?

111th and Antioch.

Overland Park

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogfly on April 09, 2015, 09:51:25 am
I agree with this. Jack Stack feels like a "nice" restaurant, which I don't personally mind. I think that, overall, Jack Stack has the best cuisine or dining experience but not necessarily the best BBQ.

When I eat Joe's, I usually just call in and get it to go instead of dealing with the insanity (thanks Bourdain).

Yep, I call Joe's and leave my dad's house in Blue Springs and it's ready to go.
Go away, batin'

popcornhog

Quote from: hogslobber on April 09, 2015, 09:51:44 am
111th and Antioch.

Overland Park

Yeah, I've been there. I thought you were saying that there was one in KC now. You got my hopes up, damnit!
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogfly on April 09, 2015, 09:51:25 am

For atmosphere it's gotta be B.B.'s Lawnside.
WPS

hogslobber

Quote from: popcornhog on April 09, 2015, 11:10:21 am
Yeah, I've been there. I thought you were saying that there was one in KC now. You got my hopes up, damnit!

Overland Park, Kansas

In my 4 years in school there , we always considered this Kansas City

Guess I don't know what you mean by Kansas City

popcornhog

Quote from: hogslobber on April 10, 2015, 05:33:05 pm

Overland Park, Kansas

In my 4 years in school there , we always considered this Kansas City

Guess I don't know what you mean by Kansas City
I guess we call it the suburbs. I don't usually drive that far out for lunch unless I've got business in Johnson County.

Semantics I guess, but I mean Kansas City proper when I say Kansas City.

Anyhow, I think the OP was talking in the context of being in KC for a trip. I doubt he'd want to drive 30 minutes to JoCo Kansas. With that backdrop, I assumed you meant that a KC location had opened.
WPS

hog20

Ate at Joe's.  It was really good, the brisket was great! Melted in your mouth!! Pulled pork sandwich really good too.  Thanks!!