Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camping the buffalo

Started by RazorWild, March 29, 2015, 05:09:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorWild

I'm looking to float the Buffalo for a couple days.  Im from South Ark, and unfortunately have never floated it.  What I'm looking for is to show up, rent a canoe, float half, find a place along the river to pitch tent and camp; then, float the other half and stay in cabin at days end.  Do any of Yall have any experience with this.  Wanting me and wife to take this trip.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Flying Razorback

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch near Jasper, Arkansas is a good place for the second day to stay in the cabin.  Just down the road from Kyle's Landing which is a good place to camp in a tent with running water.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Hogfly

Quote from: RazorWild on March 29, 2015, 05:09:18 pm
I'm looking to float the Buffalo for a couple days.  Im from South Ark, and unfortunately have never floated it.  What I'm looking for is to show up, rent a canoe, float half, find a place along the river to pitch tent and camp; then, float the other half and stay in cabin at days end.  Do any of Yall have any experience with this.  Wanting me and wife to take this trip.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Buffalo Outdoor Center can hook you up with whatever you need. They've got cabins and such for you to stay in. They'll run your shuttle for you as well. They can basically organize your entire trip for you. You can go to their website and get the information you want. I'll link you to the section on multi-day canoe trips:

http://www.buffaloriver.com/multi-day-float-trips/

Lost Valley Canoe Rental is good as well:
http://www.lostvalleycanoe.com/index.html

As a previous poster said, Horseshoe Canyon is awesome to stay at. THey're about to be gearing up for Dude Ranch season, but you can probably rent a cabin for a night if you go prior to May or so. You'll just have to call them. There's a chance they'd help you out with your trip as well during the offseason. They're really nice people and could probably advise you on the logistics.

Hawgndaaz

all I got is tyler bend kinda sucks. extremely strict park rangers and lots of church groups singing.

Hogfly

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 03, 2015, 09:58:43 am
all I got is tyler bend kinda sucks. extremely strict park rangers and lots of church groups singing.

One year we camped at Kyle's Landing, and there was this big group of dudes, ranging in age from 20-65 or so, there playing bluegrass music. They were all absolutely fantastic pickers, and they were also drinking prolifically. Evidently, they get together once a year and campout and float and such. It was like a multi-generational thing with fathers and sons, but all of them played instruments. That was some of the most fun I've ever had sitting around a campfire with strangers.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Hogfly on April 03, 2015, 12:16:28 pm
One year we camped at Kyle's Landing, and there was this big group of dudes, ranging in age from 20-65 or so, there playing bluegrass music. They were all absolutely fantastic pickers, and they were also drinking prolifically. Evidently, they get together once a year and campout and float and such. It was like a multi-generational thing with fathers and sons, but all of them played instruments. That was some of the most fun I've ever had sitting around a campfire with strangers.

Now that sounds awesome.  I had a lot of fun at Kyle's Landing when I was younger.  I really need to get up there again.  I love bluegrass music and would have had the time of my life if I could have seen that.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

RazorWild

Thanks for info yall.  Outdoor center was very helpful.  Got a nice trip booked.  Now I have to find what to do with one extra day.  May go to eureka.  Never been there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorWild on April 04, 2015, 09:06:19 am
Thanks for info yall.  Outdoor center was very helpful.  Got a nice trip booked.  Now I have to find what to do with one extra day.  May go to eureka.  Never been there.

If your are going to do the extra day before the trip that is a good idea..............if afterwards and on the lower Buffalo try Blanchard Springs Cavern. Can stay in Mt. View and catch the Folk Center also. Folk Center has decent lodging. Mike Mills the owner of BOC does a great job. They have some really nice cabins as well as doing a great job with the canoe's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWild

Just got back today.  What a great trip it was.  Stayed in Morning Sunrise Friday, got on River Sat, tent camped that night, then floated to Pruitt.  Stayed in Cabin X that night.  Went to Crystal Bridges Monday (my dads company supplied those big beams).  Finished up in Dickson st.  Me and wife considering uprooting and moving to NWA.  Thanks again for all yalls info.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorWild on June 09, 2015, 03:15:53 pm
Just got back today.  What a great trip it was.  Stayed in Morning Sunrise Friday, got on River Sat, tent camped that night, then floated to Pruitt.  Stayed in Cabin X that night.  Went to Crystal Bridges Monday (my dads company supplied those big beams).  Finished up in Dickson st.  Me and wife considering uprooting and moving to NWA.  Thanks again for all yalls info.

Good deal! Glad you enjoyed.