Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dueling GPSs

Started by HawgWild, March 23, 2015, 10:56:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

So, I get to the eastern edge of Mobile and my Garmin, Toyota GPS and Smart phone Google maps each have a different path through the city and across the Bay. Two take me through the tunnel and the third, Garmin, wants me to go downtown and across the causeway.

On the way back I commit to the one I used going down from central Arkansas, the Garmin, after going through the tunnel on I-10. I went down through Greenville, Jackson and Hattiesburg. Coming back it routed me through Vicksburg and Tallulah.

Please explain.

TIA

McKdaddy

I've wondered about this as well.  I prefer Google maps 90% of the time over Apple maps, but sometimes Google maps provides a route that is eye-raising or can't find a location of a restaurant or business or home.  Google does such a good job w/ maps for mobile use, that when it is "wrong", it is simply perplexing.

Google maps has set such a high standard, imo, that I'm surprised when it can't find some place I'm looking for; however, when that does occur, invariably Apple maps will have/locate that place that Google didn't have, which surprises me (i.e.  if google maps can't locate it, how does Apple maps have it?).
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

woodrow hog call

I don't remember which one we were using last year on that same route but,
it had us get off I 10, go on like an access road for a about 2 miles, then get back on I 10 and we must
have passed a hundred or more cars. I would not have believed it was possible
to bypass that much traffic that easy if I had not of seen it.

May have been the Tom Tom, but not sure, we did the same thing as far as
using maps on phones, comparing them to GPS directions.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

tophawg19

had a tom tom keep telling us to turn right on top of a big bridge every time we used it to reach a certain location . it was about two miles short of location .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GolfNut57

I have a Tom Tom that we have used for trips to FL the last few years and I have found that it gives you some real interesting routes, if at the start you choose the option of "shortest" as opposed to the "fastest" option of getting to your destination. The shortest will actually have you driving down gravel roads and goat trails to get where you are going. lol.

I think it was around Montgomery or maybe in Birmingham it actually had me leave the freeway and drive around a couple of city blocks, then drive through a shopping center parking lot and then get back on the freeway. No idea about the what or why of that.

I now have the WAZE app on my phone so I plan on trying its navigation the next time I go tripping.

Quote from: HawgWild on March 23, 2015, 10:56:48 am
So, I get to the eastern edge of Mobile and my Garmin, Toyota GPS and Smart phone Google maps each have a different path through the city and across the Bay. Two take me through the tunnel and the third, Garmin, wants me to go downtown and across the causeway.

On the way back I commit to the one I used going down from central Arkansas, the Garmin, after going through the tunnel on I-10. I went down through Greenville, Jackson and Hattiesburg. Coming back it routed me through Vicksburg and Tallulah.

Please explain.

TIA

It has been hacked by those PDs so that they can get a crack at your wallet.  :D
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

HawgWild

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 27, 2015, 05:06:13 pm
It has been hacked by those PDs so that they can get a crack at your wallet.  :D

That wouldn't surprise me!