Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

playa del carmen

Started by Dirttrackhog, March 10, 2015, 09:07:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirttrackhog

I am heading to a resort between Akumal and Tulum, ive been to this resort before and just stayed there the entire time.  I am wanting to get out and visit Tulum, playa del carmen and possible cozumel.  Any ideas as to where to go? eat, shop, sight see etc?  also I would think this area would be fairly safe, so should I rent a car or just use taxis?  If I rent a car, ill jus rent one for the whole week.  thanks for any info!

Albert Einswine

Take a taxi, the driving is insane down there, or that was my experience 15 years ago anyway. Cozumel is nice, we were told by the tour guide on the ship all is safe on the first couple of streets in from the waterfront, but that it starts to get dicey after that. If you go to Cozumel, visit Chankanaab National Park. It's beautiful and relaxing.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PharmacistHog

Unless something has changed in six years, playa del carmen is a hell-hole. Take a taxi then catch the boat over to cozumel. Honestly, we enjoyed our resort more than any of the places we traveled to. Thevfirst trip we never left the resort. The second we went to playa and cozumel and even back to cancun. Nothing was all that impressive but I was more about eating and drinking and laying around anyway.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

BR

Tulum is awesome... The Mayan Ruins are worth the visit... 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Uncle_dad

Coba is also a nice Mayan trip. It is not far from Tulum, but it is in the middle of the jungle. A lot of the structures are still being excavated. It is almost as though you are discovering it for yourself. The local Mayan dishes are pibil which is a stewed pork, and pok chuuk, which is a flank steak dish.  Xel Ha is nice if you didn't discover it your first time.

SouthSide Johnny

Playa is very nice been there many times especially at night, beaches and water are second to none!
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

rickm1976

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 10, 2015, 09:36:10 pm
Take a taxi, the driving is insane down there, or that was my experience 15 years ago anyway. Cozumel is nice, we were told by the tour guide on the ship all is safe on the first couple of streets in from the waterfront, but that it starts to get dicey after that. If you go to Cozumel, visit Chankanaab National Park. It's beautiful and relaxing.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

What he said.  I wouldn't risk driving a rental anywhere down there.