Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Trip to Yellowstone Yields Better Omen for Razorback Season Than SEC Media Days

Started by Robert Shields, July 21, 2014, 10:58:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Trip to Yellowstone Yields Better Omen for Razorback Season Than SEC Media Days

Robert Shields

SEC media days went on for days last week, and we found out that those on the outside have no expectations for the Razorbacks next season. So the good news for Bret Bielema is that Arkansas can only exceed expectations. It will take a real crash off the side of the road, no pun intended, for the season to be considered a complete failure.

In past years during SEC media days, I have typically gone on the road to the wonderful waters of Orange Beach, Alabama, to take the pulse of SEC fans from across the South who congregate on the Redneck Riviera each summer as if it were an annual convention. This year, we altered things.

I have never ever really mentioned my family in this space, but this year we did not make the beach. My wife wanted to do something different because one of my sons has graduated from high school and is heading to college. It's a turning of a page in our life with one leaving the nest, and she wanted the family vacation to be a memorable one.

The choice for vacation by her this year was Yellowstone National Park, which I quickly learned is referred to as YNP by the locals, and then we finished by staying three nights in the Teton mountains.

It was no surprise that we saw very few people wearing SEC colors as is the standard in Orange Beach. I did see one person wearing a purple-and-gold LSU fishing shirt, but I did not bother him as he was winded coming back up the trail from the brink of the lower falls of the grand canyon of Yellowstone. Being from Louisiana, I'm going to assume that he was used to being a flatlander much like me and going up more than 8,000 feet is daunting. So I can't blame him for huffing and puffing and won't blame the diet of gumbo and etouffee.

I wore my long-sleeve red shirt with a large white Razorback emblazed on the back and a smaller one on the left side in the front on one day of the vacation. The logo apparently was not recognizable by those in the park, which is not the case on the beach when wearing anything with a Razorback on it. Most looked at it like I was wearing some new fashion like a "Life is Good" shirt.

The park was outstanding, but I felt the ground was explosive and ready to go at any time as I witnessed the geysers, hot springs, and boiling pots, and at times it felt weird if you thought about it too much looking at the caldera in which I was at the bottom.

If there was one spot that stuck out to me that was very memorable, it was the brink of the upper falls that I just happened upon at dusk one night when I pulled off the road. The violence of the rushing water was incredible as it cascaded toward its ultimate drop. I would recommend it to anyone as a must stop.

After five nights in YNP, we headed south into the Teton mountains and stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge. The view of the mountains was spectacular across Jackson Lake. Here we met Travis, who was from Harrison and served us several times as we ate at the restaurant. He mentioned that he had run across very few people from Arkansas in those parts.

Then one night as we waited for our food Travis came by and mentioned that there was a group outside on the deck from Arkansas also. My son looked outside and said, "That's Jake Bequette." Bequette is a former first-team all-SEC defensive player, maybe one of the few Razorbacks to make that honor in the last few years.

We went out to visit and needless to say he had a warm and inviting personality. We introduced ourselves and explained that I was a Little Rock Catholic High graduate and that my son had just graduated from the school. Bequette was also a standout Rocket when he attended the same high school. He made the comment that the Rockets were in the house.

The next morning we woke up early and took the ferry across Jenny Lake to climb up to see Hidden Falls and up further to Inspiration point. We pressed further and went up the mountain and the tree line and glaciers were visible above us. I wish we could have pushed farther and made it to the forks, but we did not and I hope one day to go back and make it.

On the way back at the dock where the ferry stops, there was a map and if you're from a state and are the first you can put the state up on the map. It goes without saying that we were the first from Arkansas to return. My son grabbed the red state magnet and put it on its place on the map.

The map, though, was distorted, which I liked since Arkansas was the same size as Texas. Each state magnet had things of importance to that state. The Arkansas magnet had Christ of the Ozarks, deer, diamond, and of course the ever-present Razorback.

So, maybe in such a remote place from my home state to run into Jake Bequette and find a magnet with a Razorback on it, that is a good omen for the coming season.

It was at least better than the portents coming out of SEC media days.

Send your serendipitous Razorback finding this summer to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

LZH

ricepig

Move to Travel and Vacation, or are we going to have to read what everyone did this summer?

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: ricepig on July 21, 2014, 11:12:52 am
Move to Travel and Vacation, or are we going to have to read what everyone did this summer?

Don't Have to read it.. but since you asked, this was my summer. At least I'll add a picture ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

ricepig

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on July 21, 2014, 11:17:48 am
Don't Have to read it.. but since you asked, this was my summer. At least I'll add a picture ;D

Dang, it must have rained a lot to flood the streets.  8)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on July 21, 2014, 11:17:48 am

New Orleans still hasn't recovered from Katrina?

The_Iceman

zane

I had this gif all ready to go

Then I read the darn

Glad you and the family enjoyed the trip. I will be sure to post the gif again in next week's edition.
RIP LSUfan

ncrebel

Guess I'm in the minority.  Thought it was a nice post.  Running into Jake Bequette was pretty cool.
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

Ex-Trumpet

Grand Tetons...French for large tiddies!!  How can a vacation to such a destination be anything but great!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Al Boarland

Jek Tono Porkins

Usually I despise Robert's articles with every atom in my being, but this one was pretty good. My family went to YNP when I was 11 and it was my favorite vacation.

Robert, did y'all see any wolves? When I was there, seeing wolves was very rare and we didn't see any, but I hear it's fairly common now.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Robert Shields

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 21, 2014, 12:01:48 pm
Usually I despise Robert's articles with every atom in my being, but this one was pretty good. My family went to YNP when I was 11 and it was my favorite vacation.

Robert, did y'all see any wolves? When I was there, seeing wolves was very rare and we didn't see any, but I hear it's fairly common now.

I didn't see any wolves.  We were in the Lamar Valley one time, which is where they tend to live, but was not patient enough to wait until right before dark.  There was a large group waiting to photograph them when they would supposedly come out on this ledge.  You need something with very high magnification to see them, which I did not have.  I also only saw one bear and it was at some distance. A kid wanted to see it so I handed him my binoculars.  The bison and elk were everywhere including outside our room and even passing them walking to dinner.  I hope you get to return someday.

Locutus_of_Boar

Well look on the bright side Robert:  The odds of Arkansas winning the SEC title this year are actually better than the chances that you'd be standing at ground zero at the exact moment of a Yellowstone caldera eruption.

Provided that is you don't return next year, of course.  ;)

GolfnHog

I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to all things, RS. This was a nice lil write up and I enjoyed the read......this time.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hogwild

Razorfox

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ldfergu

Good read. I was lucky enough to work there for 6 months in the summer of 2012. Absolutely incredible place

Robert Shields

Quote from: Hogwild on July 21, 2014, 01:15:49 pm
It beautiful country up there, don't know if I could handle the winters.

We floated the Snake River. Our guide told us that it can snow all the way up until July as it did this year and it starts snowing again by the end of August so yeah, I don't think I could handle the winters either.

Robert Shields

SPAL

WorfHog

The_Iceman

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GirlHog on July 21, 2014, 02:26:51 pm
Thanks for your article. It brought back memories of going to YNP and Grand Tetons NP. I was about 8 and remember seeing Old Faithful, elk, and bear. Your kids will remember it all their lives! I'm almost 60, and that trip is right up there with my Super Bowl XVIII trip!!

Stop, stop, stop, please stop, please, please, pretty please..! Stop feeding Robert's writer fantasy. It was a great post, but this cat is no writer...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Dr. Starcs

Inhogswetrust

As I rarely read RS I had to after reading some of the comments. Robert this might be your best yet. I know it was only partly Hog related and a very positive post but I love the outdoors and have been in that area many times. There are certain things I wish every American could see in person at some point in their life and those two are on the list! I'm glad you and your family enjoyed yourselves. I congratulate your son on his achievement and take it from me kids leaving the nest can be both exilerating and sad at the same time. Good luck to him as he goes out into the world to make his mark. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgbawb

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

yraciv

yraciv