Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On the officiating...

Started by The Realist, February 13, 2008, 10:35:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 14, 2008, 01:54:03 pm
I don't even know why I'm trying to argue this anymore with some of you guys.  I, and many others, have made it crystal clear that we don't think the refs lost us the game.  We've given many other reasons why we lost the game, besides the refs.  But, some of you guys are a little too dense to figure out that we're not blaming the refs for the loss.  All I'm saying is that the refs contributed to how lopsided the final score was in Tennessee's favor.  I do not think we could've won the game last night.  Tennessee played too well and Arkansas played too poorly.  I just think it could've been a "quality road loss" in the eyes of the NCAAT committee, instead of a complete blow-out that nobody will give us any credit for, simply because of the final score.  It should've been a 6-12 point loss, instead of 22.  If the refs were consistent on both ends, the score would've been quite a bit closer, in my opinion.
You probably won't believe this but I agree wholeheartedly. I was not saying you were blaming the refs, only that some were making it sound like they were to blame.

parrishw

I don't even know why I'm trying to argue this anymore with some of you guys.  I, and many others, have made it crystal clear that we don't think the refs lost us the game.  We've given many other reasons why we lost the game, besides the refs.  But, some of you guys are a little too dense to figure out that we're not blaming the refs for the loss.  All I'm saying is that the refs contributed to how lopsided the final score was in Tennessee's favor.  I do not think we could've won the game last night.  Tennessee played too well and Arkansas played too poorly.  I just think it could've been a "quality road loss" in the eyes of the NCAAT committee, instead of a complete blow-out that nobody will give us any credit for, simply because of the final score.  It should've been a 6-12 point loss, instead of 22.  If the refs were consistent on both ends, the score would've been quite a bit closer, in my opinion.
Quote from: Dropkick on February 14, 2008, 02:13:47 pm
You probably won't believe this but I agree wholeheartedly. I was not saying you were blaming the refs, only that some were making it sound like they were to blame.

Okay,
Hopefully you two are tired of calling each other names and have come to a better place so I will make a comment.

As someone else posted a little earlier the refs were a contributing factor.

Not so much the one sided calls but moreover the lack of consistency. The apparently same level of contact at one point in the game that resulted in a foul called would be allowed or no-called even if it happened immediately on the other end of the floor.
Any group of players and coaches will and can make adjustments in response to how a group of officials make the first few calls in any given game. I did not get to see the first 15 minutes but I know that PBev was setting with two fouls after 2 1/2 minutes. That is uncommon since PBev typically only fouls when he intends to. That told me that the game was being called closely as I listened to the radio on the way home to watch it on TV.
When I sat down to watch I saw inconsistency in the officiating within just a few minutes.

That crew of refs called the last TN game so maybe they were used to them so they did not react like the Hogs did.

Our boys, and our coach, were shocked and amazed at the calls that were coming down. Unfortunately as I said earlier this crew of officals were making the game more about them than the players.

That is not the first time that has happened and it is always when you have at least one of the officials that just likes to bully coaches and players. That is what I saw last night. That white haired guy was getting his rocks off being the big bad ref that was running the show and the wrong thing to do was argue with him so he could step out into the spotlight and call a technical.
The Hogs and Pel made no secret ,by body language and later vocal comments, that the refs were having trouble seeing the play because they had their heads stuck way up in a dark place. 

When you encounter a ref like that white haired fool you are in for trouble if you argue with him because then he is just going to go out of his way to screw you every chance he gets.

Those continuation calls giving the basket with the foul were so far out of touch with the reality of the rules that it was obvious he was having fun putting Pel and our boys in their place.

But,
TN made some great shots and won the game with a solid offensive effort. Gotta give them their due.. The refs should be listed in their games stats as having scored about 10 or 12 points for them............but they played well nonetheless.

Next time Pel and our boys will be better cause they have been getting better and learning from their mistakes rather well over the last 4 or 5 games.

I believe and hope we will see TN again in the SEC tourney and I think the Hogs will give a better accounting of themselves.

What I saw overall was that we can play with them...............................and the season ain't over.

Siccum Hogs

GoHogs#1

Go Hogs