Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEVERAL VOLS HAVE THE FLU

Started by HogHillbilly, February 12, 2008, 01:46:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogHillbilly

Or as Bruce Pearl says "Flu Like Symptoms"

This could be huge if some of their starters are out.................

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/feb/11/flu--sickness-still-hitting-ut-vols/
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

hoosier

Don't beleive anything Pearl says before a big game.

McKdaddy

I'd rather play them at full strength so there are no excuses.
It would be huge if some starters are out but I wouldn't like it if the tables were turned.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hogfeezy

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 01:49:37 pm
It would be huge if some starters are out but I wouldn't like it if the tables were turned.
I agree with you. I don't want there to be any way they can explain it when we come into Knoxville and escape with the W.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: hoosier on February 12, 2008, 01:49:08 pm
Don't beleive anything Pearl says before a big game.

Well........We know for a fact they "WERE" sick.......Of course we don't know how sick they are still

HogHillbilly

I don't care what the fans or anyone else says.............A win is a win..........Sick or not

It would be HUGE for us to get out of there with a win

McKdaddy

I'm afraid with all the flu-like crap going around that our team might get it.

The Boar War

Thats too bad.  I really do want to face them at full strength.  I hope we win but win or lose this will be a good barometer for our team.

HogNuttz

Why do these people not take the flu shot?  Every year I've gotten the flu shot, any sickness I get wouldn't be enough to keep me out of a game, or even effect my performance that much.  We know athletes aren't afraid of needles.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogNuttz on February 12, 2008, 02:02:25 pm
Why do these people not take the flu shot?  Every year I've gotten the flu shot, any sickness I get wouldn't be enough to keep me out of a game, or even effect my performance that much.  We know athletes aren't afraid of needles.

Flu shots haven't been worth a damn for many this year.

Many in my office took one, and still got the flu...different strand of flu than what the shot prepped them for.

But hey, at least you're not blaming the flu on Pelphrey.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HogHillbilly

February 12, 2008, 02:08:12 pm #10 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:10:19 pm by HogHillbilly

On their defense...........The Flu Strain out right now IS NOT covered by the current Flu Shot

It is developing faster than our shots are..............

HogNuttz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 12, 2008, 02:05:24 pm
Flu shots haven't been worth a damn for many this year.

Many in my office took one, and still got the flu...different strand of flu than what the shot prepped them for.

But hey, at least you're not blaming the flu on Pelphrey.

And you're not blaming it on Ervin's bad decision making or the poor attitude of the players.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

The Realist

JaJuan Smith looked like he was about to keel over for the 20 seconds he went in the game vs, LSU on Satuday.  That being said, he did win the game for them in those 20 seconds.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

pimphog

me too.......let's beat their a** with all their players........

COCHISE

Quote from: HogHillbilly on February 12, 2008, 01:52:33 pm
I don't care what the fans or anyone else says.............A win is a win..........Sick or not

It would be HUGE for us to get out of there with a win
I agree.  Players missing games due to being sick or injuries is part of the game, this is a top 10 team we're going up against, I don't care who Tennessee puts on the court I just want to win.  This game has HUGE tourney implications.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogNuttz on February 12, 2008, 02:11:43 pm
And you're not blaming it on Ervin's bad decision making or the poor attitude of the players.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/216579

Good thing we have a coach who knows how to fix things.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

McKdaddy

Quote from: 870 RZR on February 12, 2008, 02:24:40 pm
I agree.  Players missing games due to being sick or injuries is part of the game, this is a top 10 team we're going up against, I don't care who Tennessee puts on the court I just want to win.  This game has HUGE tourney implications.
I don't think anyone on here does not want to win in the event TN has players with the flu.

tiber

CurlyTail

Flu, rabies, herpes... who cares? Injuries and/or sicknesses are a part of the game. If they don't play, they don't play. Tennessee is a top-5 team right now, and they will put their starting five on the court when the game starts just like we will. We will then play a game of basketball. We need to win that game, regardless of who is on the court for TN.

All this does is give the Vols an excuse as to why they lost this game, if they lose.

McKdaddy

Quote from: CurlyTail on February 12, 2008, 02:50:08 pm
Flu, rabies, herpes... who cares? Injuries and/or sicknesses are a part of the game. If they don't play, they don't play. Tennessee is a top-5 team right now, and they will put their starting five on the court when the game starts just like we will. We will then play a game of basketball. We need to win that game, regardless of who is on the court for TN.

I care.  It's not that I don't want the Hogs to win IF the Vols have some flu.  I want to win regardless.  However, I'm not giddy about them being sick (if that's still the case on Wed) b/c I'd rather play someone at their best, IF GIVEN THE CHOICE.
I realize we don't have the choice--this games is gonna happen regardless.  I hope the Hogs win regardless.
However, my competitive nature precludes me from celebrating the thought that TN might have some sick players.

hei5manhog

a W against Tenn almost locks us in the tournament, full strength or not.  It's still the #4 team in the country. I am hoping they are full strength though.  I want to know if we are for real or not!
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

COCHISE

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 02:41:04 pm
I don't think anyone on here does not want to win in the event TN has players with the flu.
But there are some suggesting that it would diminish our victory, I'm saying I don't care if Tenn. starters aren't on the court due to the flu, I doubt the Vols fans would be upset to find out that some of our players couldn't play.

COCHISE

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 12, 2008, 02:58:11 pm
a W against Tenn almost locks us in the tournament, full strength or not.  It's still the #4 team in the country. I am hoping they are full strength though.  I want to know if we are for real or not!
We can determine if we're for real or not once we get in the tournament, right now we're a bubble team and need as many wins as possible, if that's against a depleted Tenn., so be it.

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

CurlyTail

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 02:54:41 pm
I care.  It's not that I don't want the Hogs to win IF the Vols have some flu.  I want to win regardless.  However, I'm not giddy about them being sick (if that's still the case on Wed) b/c I'd rather play someone at their best, IF GIVEN THE CHOICE.
I realize we don't have the choice--this games is gonna happen regardless.  I hope the Hogs win regardless.
However, my competitive nature precludes me from celebrating the thought that TN might have some sick players.

Um, that was my point. I'm not "giddy" about a couple of Vols being sick and I'm certainly not "celebrating" it; I couldn't care less. My point was I'm more concerned with winning the basketball game than I am about the flu. I don't care who is playing for Tennessee. We can speculate all we want about flu this, flu that. They are going to put a starting five on the floor, and we will play. If we win the game, flu or not, we will be in excellent shape for the tournament. That is all that matters.

HogNuttz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 12, 2008, 02:28:51 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/216579

Good thing we have a coach who knows how to fix things.

Your point being what, Pel has a cure for the new flu virus?

McKdaddy

CurlyT, I wasn't referring to anybody in particular.  Giddyness, however, is in the eyes of the beholder.

This might sum up my feelings, "I am hoping they (TN) are full strength though.  I want to know if we are for real or not!"
As another poster said, we can find that out in the Ncaa's.  True.  I'd like to know now as well, rather than wait till mid-March (like last year) to get my hopes up, assuming then we were at least sorta "for real".  Why not find out now?
A better guage for me would be a healthy TN team, that's all I'm saying.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogNuttz on February 12, 2008, 03:07:05 pm
Your point being what, Pel has a cure for the new flu virus?

Did that article mention anything about the Hogs having the flu? Has there been any talk of the Hogs having the flu?

Nope, there suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure hasn't.

But, I think you know what my point was. Ervin is playing much like he was at the beginning of the year, and the players aren't suffering from any obvious chemistry issues. Hence why we're winning big games.

Smokehouse

nah, Tennessee players realize they have to live up to the great "tradition" of Tennessee basketball, so they'll push through the symptoms.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

CurlyTail

Of course a TN team at full strength would be a better test for us, that goes without saying. I would also prefer they be completely healthy, if I could have my way, so there would be no excuses. But again, we can't control what TN does, just like we can't control the people who would say it was a less of a win, if we did beat TN at less than full stength. All we can do is play the game to win. That was why I said "who cares" in my earlier post. Our focus should still be on the same thing it was already on: winning the game.

McKdaddy

Quote from: CurlyTail on February 12, 2008, 03:35:59 pm
Of course a TN team at full strength would be a better test for us, that goes without saying. I would also prefer they be completely healthy, if I could have my way, so there would be no excuses. But again, we can't control what TN does, just like we can't control the people who would say it was a less of a win, if we did beat TN at less than full stength. All we can do is play the game to win. That was why I said "who cares" in my earlier post. Our focus should still be on the same thing it was already on: winning the game.
Lol, in the big picture we feel the same.  I agree w/ your "who cares" sentiment in every point presented above.  Almost.
I'm not focused on anything but winning the game.  If they are sick so be it.  If it affects their play, so be it.  If they are 100% healthy so be it.
On this opinion board I merely stated I'd prefer they be healthy--like you said, "that goes without saying."  But also what "goes without saying", is a win is a win.  Nobody is stating that they don't want the Hogs to lose if TN is unhealthy.

DeltaBoy

sick or not I hope we beat them by atleast 18 !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CurlyTail

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 03:44:19 pm
Nobody is stating that they don't want the Hogs to lose if TN is unhealthy.

Actually, I am stating that. I don't want the Hogs to lose, regardless of whether TN is at full strength or not. I'm assuming that's what you meant to say. There are advantages to both scenarios, IMO. If we play a depleted TN team, it obviously gives us a better shot at winning the game. If we play them at full strength, it gives our team a more genuine test of skills and also gives us as fans a better feel for where this team is at right now. Again, I agree with all of that. I guess I was just a little bit confused as to which direction you were coming from. You replied to my initial "who cares about the flu" post and said "I care." Then you went on to say you're not focused on anything but winning the game, if they're sick, so be it, and other things that suggest that you really don't care about the flu and that you're thinking more along the same lines that I am, which is we need to win the basketball game, regardless of who is on the floor.

McKdaddy

Quote from: CurlyTail on February 12, 2008, 04:24:02 pm

Actually, I am stating that. I don't want the Hogs to lose, regardless of whether TN is at full strength or not. I'm assuming that's what you meant to say. There are advantages to both scenarios, IMO. If we play a depleted TN team, it obviously gives us a better shot at winning the game. If we play them at full strength, it gives our team a more genuine test of skills and also gives us as fans a better feel for where this team is at right now. Again, I agree with all of that. I guess I was just a little bit confused as to which direction you were coming from. You replied to my initial "who cares about the flu" post and said "I care." Then you went on to say you're not focused on anything but winning the game, if they're sick, so be it, and other things that suggest that you really don't care about the flu and that you're thinking more along the same lines that I am, which is we need to win the basketball game, regardless of who is on the floor.
lmao, my bad, should have read.....

Nobody is stating that they don't want the Hogs to win if TN is unhealthy.

CincyVol

Im not sure they will still have these symptons tomorrow considering they've had them since Friday or Saturday.

LRCentralTiger

You are right.  A tainted win is not a win.  Ask the Lady Vols about last nights game.

CurlyTail

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 04:26:04 pm
lmao, my bad, should have read.....

Nobody is stating that they don't want the Hogs to win if TN is unhealthy.

LOL, I know that's what you meant.  ;)

McKdaddy

CurlyT,
"I care" just enough just to post a meaningless opinion in efforts to have some discussion.  That's all, an opinion of the physical condition I want the Vols in when we beat them.
Outside of this thread, I really don't care about the flu b/c a win is a win regardless of the circumstances.

McKdaddy

February 12, 2008, 04:30:38 pm #38 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:33:19 pm by McKdaddy
Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 12, 2008, 04:27:43 pm
You are right.  A tainted win is not a win.  Ask the Lady Vols about last nights game.
Whoa, cowboy, didn't say that.  A win IS a win.  In the cases of clock malfunction, faulty officiating (5th down anyone?), etc., it may be tainted, but it's in the win column. ;)

As for injuries, sickness, bad grades and other lineup depleting instances--a win is a win.

RazorFlix

Only people w/ risk factors for the flu are supposed to get flu shots.  Risk factors can include old age, immunocompromised status, COPD, diabetes, etc.  Also, the flu shot is only effective in stopping the flu 30-50% of the time.  I doubt any of the Tennessee or Arkansas players for that matter would be advised by current medical recommendations to get the flu shot.  Then again, if you want a flu shot you can get one.

McKdaddy

Quote from: RazorFlix on February 12, 2008, 04:30:52 pm
Only people w/ risk factors for the flu are supposed to get flu shots.
Thank God, my wife is on my arse each year to get it.  Can I quote you Doc? ;)

RazorFlix

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 04:34:52 pm
Thank God, my wife is on my arse each year to get it.  Can I quote you Doc? ;)

Copy/pasted info.  Good luck :)
"The following groups are at increased risk for serious illness with the flu, or in contact with those at high risk, and should receive vaccine:

All people 50 years of age and older;
Adults and children with long-term heart or lung problems, including asthma;
Residents of nursing homes and other facilities housing patients of any age who have serious long-term health problems;
People who have kidney disease, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, anemia, cancer or immunological disorders and other medical conditions for which they are under the close supervision of a doctor, including people with HIV inflection;
Children aged 6 months to 18 years on long-term aspirin therapy and, therefore, might be at risk for developing Reye syndrome after influenza infection; and
Women who will be in the second or third trimester of pregnancy during the influenza season. "

CurlyTail

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2008, 04:29:14 pm
CurlyT,
"I care" just enough just to post a meaningless opinion in efforts to have some discussion.  That's all, an opinion of the physical condition I want the Vols in when we beat them.
Outside of this thread, I really don't care about the flu b/c a win is a win regardless of the circumstances.

And your opinion is valid and welcome, please don't feel like it is not. We share the same thoughts for the most part. I was just a little confused as to which direction you were coming from, that's all.

GHG :razorback:

mhuff

I want Pel to get this team or a future team pressing and running the opposing team in the ground. I want the opposing team bent over and calling for momma before halftime. Take it to em HOGS.

phadedhawg

i wouldn't give much weight to this.  A good sweat can be the best thing when you are sick.  That's what the Army taught me anyhow! 

Plus those athletes will be flushed with fluids thru IV if they are really sick.

This will be a nonissue.  IMHO

Dropkick

Quote from: CincyVol on February 12, 2008, 04:26:23 pm
Im not sure they will still have these symptons tomorrow considering they've had them since Friday or Saturday.
Hey Cincy-
Are you in Cincinnati? If so have you ever been to El Coyote's?

HogFaninMemphis

They'll be like MJ did a couple of times.
They'll take shots before and during the game and play.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

slopinhogs

don't listen to rumos, hope they don't give it to our guys if true. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

CurlyTail

Quote from: Dropkick on February 12, 2008, 05:26:17 pm
Hey Cincy-

Pretty good food. I've been to the one in Kentucky, if it's the same chain.

CincyVol

Quote from: Dropkick on February 12, 2008, 05:26:17 pm
Hey Cincy-

Yep Cincinnati. Never been there though although I've heard of it. Is the food good?