Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 SEC Midseason Awards

Started by KentuckyFan, February 11, 2008, 02:14:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyFan

February 11, 2008, 02:14:52 pm Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:22:36 pm by KentuckyFan
Player of the Year - Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State (18 PPG, 6 RPG, 5 APG)

Freshman of the Year - Nick Calathes, Florida (15 PPG, 5 RPG, 6 APG)

Defensive Player of the Year - Jarvis Varnado, Mississippi State (5 BPG)

Most Improved Player - Eniel Polynice, Mississippi

Sixth Man of the Year - Darian Townes, Arkansas

Coach of the Year - Bruce Pearl, Tennessee

All-League 1st Team
Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State
Devan Downey, South Carolina
Marcus Thornton, LSU
Shan Foster, Vanderbilt
Richard Hendrix, Alabama

All-League 2nd Team
Nick Calathes, Florida
Ramel Bradley, Kentucky
Chris Lofton, Tennessee
Tyler Smith, Tennessee
Patrick Patterson, Kentucky

All-League 3rd Team
Patrick Beverley, Arkansas
Joe Crawford, Kentucky
Dwayne Curtis, Mississippi
Charles Rhodes, Mississippi State
A.J. Oglivy, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman 1st Team
Chris Warren, Mississippi
Nick Calathes, Florida
Anthony Randolph, LSU
A.J. Ogilvy, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman 2nd Team
Jai Lucas, Florida
Chandler Parsons, Florida
Jeremy Price, Georgia
Michael Holmes, South Carolina
Brian Williams, Tennessee

All-Freshman 3rd Team
Keegan Bell, Vanderbilt
Phil Turner, Mississippi State
Alex Tyus, Florida
Trevor Gaskins, Mississippi
Zach Graham, Mississippi

Beaverfever

Hogginitall

Is that for real?  SERIOUSLY?  Weems has been unstoppable.  What a joke!

KentuckyFan

I love Weems' game but who should I take off?  Beverley, Ogilvy, Curtis?

IUHog

Lets play a fun game of smite the Cat guy!

Oh yeah--take of Joe Crawford, he isn't even the best Crawford brother in D-1.  Jordan is better.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

KentuckyFan

Joe is better than Jordan right now.

Joe wasn't better as a freshman nor will he be a better player in the future.

That doesn't mean Joe shouldn't be on that list where he is.  However, I respect your opinions, and this is an Arkansas board, I wouldn't of posted it if I didn't expect criticism.

With that said, the Hogs are much more balanced than UK.  After Patterson, Crawford and Bradley scoring 17+ a game, nobody else is over 5 or 6.  And only a few guys are even at that.

jry04

Quote from: KentuckyFan on February 11, 2008, 02:30:50 pm
Joe is better than Jordan right now.

Joe wasn't better as a freshman nor will he be a better player in the future.

That doesn't mean Joe shouldn't be on that list where he is.  However, I respect your opinions, and this is an Arkansas board, I wouldn't of posted it if I didn't expect criticism.

With that said, the Hogs are much more balanced than UK.  After Patterson, Crawford and Bradley scoring 17+ a game, nobody else is over 5 or 6.  And only a few guys are even at that.
There are about 6 players on your list that Weems is better than. Weems is playing better basketball than anyone on Arkansas.

mathhog

mathhog

so, if kentucky has 3 of its 5 starters on AWARD winning teams, why is kentucky 12-9 ???

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KentuckyFan

Okay, question for Arkansas fans.

I've watched almost every SEC game this year, who do you feel is more important, Weems or Beverley?

IMO, Beverley is overall the better player on both ends and doesn't force the action as much.  Weems is an amazing athlete who struggled a ton early shooting, but when he gets hot, can be unstoppable.  Opinions?

KentuckyFan

February 11, 2008, 02:38:02 pm #11 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:40:06 pm by KentuckyFan
Quote from: mathhog on February 11, 2008, 02:36:38 pm
so, if kentucky has 3 of its 5 starters on AWARD winning teams, why is kentucky 12-9 ???

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are a 3-man team...so obviously their going to be up there in statistical categories...record is not always based on who has the best players, but who has the most depth and balance.

Arkansas has the best depth in the conference along with Tennessee and they have great balance inside and outside.  They are a far better team than UK.

mathhog

Quote from: KentuckyFan on February 11, 2008, 02:38:02 pm
They are a 3-man team...so obviously their going to be up there in statistical categories...

and tanking in the rpi. 

good luck in the nit.

i am rooting for the cats, but no, if you go 12-4 in the league, even, you are NOT dancing in march.  that's only 18 wins.  sorry. case closed.  you'd have to win the sect to go dancing, or finish 13-3.

jbcarol

I think Kentucky still only has three players who have scored 100 total points.

Crawford has plantar faciscitis (sp?).  He can't keep gutting it out.  Bradley hasn't recovered from a concussion, but he's the man.  Patterson is as advertised.  Underrated, even on the KentuckyFan's list.  Real deal.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

KentuckyFan

Trust me, you won't find a bigger SEC fan as a whole than me.  I don't dislike any other SEC teams.

IUHog

Jordan IS better than Joe right now--check the stats line from their head to head match-up at Indiana.

Name          Min   FG    3Pt   FT  Off Reb Ast TO  Stl Blk PF    Pts 
J. Crawford  37  4-15   1-6 1-3   1    2    2     2   1   0  2      10 

Name                Min   FG      3Pt    FT    Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
Jordan Crawford  39    5-10   3-5    7-10 0    2    2    3   2   0   2   20

chiefsfan

They are a 3-man team...so obviously their going to be up there in statistical categories...record is not always based on who has the best players, but who has the most depth and balance.

Arkansas has the best depth in the conference along with Tennessee and they have great balance inside and outside.  They are a far better team than UK.

Has Kentucky started selling NIT tickets yet.  You might want to get a jump on those.  Just hope you dont run into Gardner Webb, Houston, San Diego, or UAB
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

awwyeah84

If this is a really, official list, then i'm so unbelievably pissed off right now.

KentuckyFan

It's not, don't worry.  As for Jordan being better than Joe, do we really look at a head to head matchup and make that assumption?  That was Jordan's best game of the season.

Hogginitall

Statistics don't mean everything.  Just because Weems doesn't average as many points as some of those guys (although, he probably does if you only take into account SEC play), doesn't mean that he shouldn't be on one of those teams.  Like you said, we spread our scoring around.  But, when we need a big shot, it's either him or Beverly that get it.  They're both clutch and deserve to be on AT LEAST 3rd team all-SEC at this point.  AT LEAST.

spudhog

Quote from: KentuckyFan on February 11, 2008, 02:14:52 pm
Player of the Year - Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State (18 PPG, 6 RPG, 5 APG)

Freshman of the Year - Nick Calathes, Florida (15 PPG, 5 RPG, 6 APG)

Defensive Player of the Year - Jarvis Varnado, Mississippi State (5 BPG)

Most Improved Player - Eniel Polynice, Mississippi

Sixth Man of the Year - Darian Townes, Arkansas

Coach of the Year - Bruce Pearl, Tennessee

All-League 1st Team
Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State
Devan Downey, South Carolina
Marcus Thornton, LSU
Shan Foster, Vanderbilt
Richard Hendrix, Alabama

All-League 2nd Team
Nick Calathes, Florida
Ramel Bradley, Kentucky
Chris Lofton, Tennessee
Tyler Smith, Tennessee

All-League 3rd Team
Patrick Beverley, Arkansas
Joe Crawford, Kentucky
Dwayne Curtis, Mississippi
Charles Rhodes, Mississippi State
A.J. Oglivy, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman 1st Team
Chris Warren, Mississippi
Nick Calathes, Florida
Anthony Randolph, LSU
A.J. Ogilvy, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman 2nd Team
Jai Lucas, Florida
Chandler Parsons, Florida
Jeremy Price, Georgia
Michael Holmes, South Carolina
Brian Williams, Tennessee

All-Freshman 3rd Team
Keegan Bell, Vanderbilt
Phil Turner, Mississippi State
Alex Tyus, Florida
Trevor Gaskins, Mississippi
Zach Graham, Mississippi

foster hasn't done a thing in conference play. weems has burn the building down since we got into conference play.  couldn't help but notice two wildcats on the 2nd team. i give you patterson. without him, uk wouldn't have 5 wins overall right now. bradley is a nice player but not over weems and it may be a draw with beverly.

how can townes be the 6th man without being on one of the top 3 teams?

KentuckyFan

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 11, 2008, 02:43:29 pm
Statistics don't mean everything.  Just because Weems doesn't average as many points as some of those guys (although, he probably does if you only take into account SEC play), doesn't mean that he shouldn't be on one of those teams.  Like you said, we spread our scoring around.  But, when we need a big shot, it's either him or Beverly that get it.  They're both clutch and deserve to be on AT LEAST 3rd team all-SEC at this point.  AT LEAST.

I agree with the first part, but these lists usually reward 1) stats and 2) impact on winning teams.  That's why I asked who the Hog fans felt was a bigger key to success, Weems or Beverley.

catfanNar

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 11, 2008, 02:41:53 pm
Has Kentucky started selling NIT tickets yet.  You might want to get a jump on those.  Just hope you dont run into Gardner Webb, Houston, San Diego, or UAB
Hey you forgot to add Appalachian State to that list, oh wait.....

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 11, 2008, 02:43:29 pm
But, when we need a big shot, it's either him or Beverly that get it.  They're both clutch and deserve to be on AT LEAST 3rd team all-SEC at this point.  AT LEAST.
Unless Erv takes it himself and does a floater in the lane.  haha,  I'm an Ervin apologist, but sometimes I think he takes the ball at the end of the game and won't give it up.

KentuckyFan

I picked the 6th man based on guys who don't normally start.  It has nothing to do him being on one of the teams.

Think about it, does the best player on the NBA's All-League 2nd team also get the 6th man of the year award?  No...

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: KentuckyFan on February 11, 2008, 02:49:09 pm
I picked the 6th man based on guys who don't normally start.  It has nothing to do him being on one of the teams.

Think about it, does the best player on the NBA's All-League 2nd team also get the 6th man?  No...
Not to argue your pick of Darian as the 6th man, but just to let you in on why his numbers are so good for a guy who doesn't start.  Hill gets the start because he's the tip off guy.  Darian usually get's the starters minutes, unless Hill starts off hot.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

awwyeah84

Quote from: RanSolo on February 11, 2008, 02:51:37 pm
Not to argue your pick of Darian as the 6th man, but just to let you in on why his numbers are so good for a guy who doesn't start.  Hill gets the start because he's the tip off guy.  Darian usually get's the starters minutes, unless Hill starts off hot.

I understand that, but technically he is still considered the 6th man of the team.

awwyeah84

whoops, i jacked that up really bad.
Here is what i meant to say.

Techincally, Darian Townes is our 6th man, kind of like manu ginobli for the spurs...not sure what his role is this year, but last year, he came off the bench every game and only trailed tim duncan and tony parker in MPG.

jst01

who even decided this?  all these awards are subjective and stupid.  Who cares, we got 8 more to play. 

IUHog

You guys are like a boner in a pair of sweat pants man--you get excited and everyone notices.  Relax!
The Cats put together a nice sting of wins and their fans are all over the message boards proclaiming that their going to win the SEC EAST, the SEC tourney and make a deep run in the NCAA's as well as own the All Sec teams, coach of the year awards and how Adolph Rupp will beat out Jesus himself for Time Magazine's person on the common era.

jst01

Quote from: donewithdale on February 11, 2008, 03:05:57 pm
Nice add to the discussion.

then dont comment dude!  move on if you dont like it. 

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: awwyeah84 on February 11, 2008, 03:00:26 pm
I understand that, but technically he is still considered the 6th man of the team.
No doubt...  No doubt.

spudhog

Quote from: catfanNar on February 11, 2008, 02:46:13 pm

gardner webb!!!!!!!

Hogginitall

San Diego!

IUHog

jbcarol

Hollywood_HOGan45

weems is averaging 19.5 in SEC play

40MINSOFHELL

mathhog

Houston!

jbcarol

mathhog

UAB!

jbcarol

mathhog

Indiana!

mathhog

Louisville!

jbcarol