Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**ARKANSAS @ TENNESSEE: WHO WINS?

Started by mathhog, February 09, 2008, 07:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

February 09, 2008, 07:24:09 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:39:26 pm by mathhog
Arkansas blazing into Knoxville on a 3 game streak of big opponents, Tennessee going opposite, struggling on the road with a coachless LSU team.

Will Arkansas' big men take down the Vols for their first home loss, just like in 05? (see below)
Or will the vols beat Arkansas due to our poor shooting, just like in 06?

[youtube=425,350]h8bw8OkvapA[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bw8OkvapA
CLICK TO SEE THE VOLS CHOKE AWAY A 14 POINT LEAD AS TOWNES BECOMES A MAN

What say you??

Hoggy Bear

I love the way the Hogs have played the last few games, but I need to see them play this way on THE ROAD (and not against LSU).

U.P. HOGG

Depends on which team shows up.  We looked bad coming of a week of no games, but hopefully we got the rust out and can go into Tennessee and play like a top team we are capable of being.

mathhog

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on February 09, 2008, 07:25:15 pm
I love the way the Hogs have played the last few games, but I need to see them play this way on THE ROAD (and not against LSU).

true dat.  i take comfort knowing we put lsu away by 16 and tennie only won by 2.  ut has struggled in more than a few sec games.

Razorbacks_77

This game scares me, and understandably so. Hopefully we will be there first home loss. I have faith that the Hogs will pull out a miracle in a close win. I hope to God they win, I have a friend who is the cockiest, most annoying Vol fan you could ever meet.

mathhog

Quote from: Razorbacks_77 on February 09, 2008, 07:29:13 pm
This game scares me, and understandably so. Hopefully we will be there first home loss. I have faith that the Hogs will pull out a miracle in a close win. I hope to God they win, I have a friend who is the cockiest, most annoying Vol fan you could ever meet.

I'm right there with you.  I want the vols to lose so bad it hurts.  Its like they discovered bball in 2006.  BTW, bruce, shouldn't you at least win an sectourney game before you are declared a god?

i love it, last year they win 24 games, and they are ready to hang banners for it... lol...

i guess its understood though, i mean, ut's greatest season was a sweet 16

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: mathhog on February 09, 2008, 07:33:14 pm
I'm right there with you.  I want the vols to lose so bad it hurts.  Its like they discovered bball in 2006.  BTW, bruce, shouldn't you at least win an sectourney game before you are declared a god?

i love it, last year they win 24 games, and they are ready to hang banners for it... lol...

i guess its understood though, i mean, ut's greatest season was a sweet 16
I almost vomited when they killed us in football. LOL but seriously quit freaking bragging about your basketball team. Nobody in the country four years ago was aware they had a men's team.

Tomhog™

Been a long time since Hogs on the road going to the 2nd toughest place to play outside Lexington.  They may give UT a run, but think they will come up short unfortunately.  HOGS PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE!

SPAL

KENDALLF

I think it all depends on which weems shows up
My sports world is finally looking up. The Hogs are back, my Texans are improving, and if only the Rangers would get some dang pitching!

eldeearr

Should be one of the best games of the year.   The Hogs are hot, but sometimes sloppy in their play and terrible at free throws.   Tenn. played sloppy ball today on the road and scored only about half of their season average.   I say Bruce Pearl gets them ready for the game, and due to the home team advantage, wins by 5.   The Hogs could pull off the win if they cut down on the turnovers and shoot better from the line.  Both teams are very similar.   It will be a helluva game. 

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 09, 2008, 07:37:10 pm
they will beat us soundly.

Playing like we did today, yes.  Play like we did vs. State and FL, not so fast my friend.

U.P. HOGG

Cant shoot 21 or more 3ptrs.  Unless that is of course, we make a lot of the first 10 :)

Arctic Hog

I think the Hogs have a chance.

I just hope they're ranked and the Armed Forces Network shows the game!

hview

We can't have many dry spells against Tn, a couple of them and the game will be over. If we can play defense with intensity, even if our shots aren't falling we'll have a chance to beat them. I'd like to see us attack the basket from the opening tip and get the inside game going before we start jacking up a lot of three pointers.

gohogsgo006

If Lofton has less than 15 points - we will win

IF Lofton score 16+ = we will lose.

Tennessee plays crazy at home (nailing threes, ally oops, turnovers)

Wednesday may be a long day
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Beaverfever

Hopefully we saved our shooting for tennessee.

eldeearr

One thing the Hogs need to be aware of (and Pell will have them ready) is the Vols' ability to choke off the opposing team's ability to throw the ball inbounds from under the basket.   If the Hogs are careless, Tennessee will cause lots of turnovers.    Both teams play an intense defense.  It will be a hard fought game.  And Lofton has come out of his shooting slump and has been hot lately.

hview

What do you think we might do to slow down Lofton, is it possible?

hogninja

Quote from: hview on February 09, 2008, 07:55:21 pm

I can't say it cuz it's not legal. :P :razorback:

eldeearr

If he's hitting those threes, I don't know.  He seems to have back that ability to to get the three-pointers with someone in his face.  He had several today with LSU players all over him.  If he's cold in his shots, he definitely will be susceptable to intense Hogs' defense.

hawgsav1

Quote from: hogninja on February 09, 2008, 08:00:03 pm
I can't say it cuz it's not legal. :P :razorback:

You can say it, but you can't promote illegal activities or do them yourself :-) +1 for being on the same wavelength as me
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hawgsav1

Quote from: eldeearr on February 09, 2008, 08:00:47 pm
If he's hitting those threes, I don't know.  He seems to have back that ability to to get the three-pointers with someone in his face.  He had several today with LSU players all over him.  If he's cold in his shots, he definitely will be susceptable to intense Hogs' defense.

I agree with you.  Question will lie with our guards.  Their guards are better, but our big men are better.  If we can stop their press and keep our turnovers low we will win the game.  If Townes and those guys can get going it will be a long night for UT.  That being said, we need Weems and Beverley to be able to penetrate and get shots in the paint.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

TorsinAHog

To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hview

...maybe Hunter rotates into the game and burns up his limit of fouls closely guarding him.

BrooklynRoss

I'm thinking some sort of Tonya Harding situation involving a bat to the leg or something. I'm kidding, of course, the easiest way to stop him would be to slip something in his food or drink. Not something that would hurt him, just make him really sleepy. Actually, that might not slow him down enough. I don't know, how about put a man on him (Bev) and then have Hill shadow him but don't leave the lane. Hill then should be prepared to pop out into a semi-double team and get a hand in his face hen he gets the ball on the perimeter in shooting range. I'm glad it's not my job to stop him.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

kimjongsqUeAl

February 09, 2008, 08:18:46 pm #26 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:21:28 pm by kim_jong_sqUeAl
I've said it all year and I'll say it again - we can beat anyone we want to IF we play basketball instead of stupidball.  It's up to us to win in Knoxville.  The only thing holding us back is us.  It will be tough but we can win.  I'll do my part and pray - because we're gonna need it!!  GO HOGS!!!!

BTW I predict an AR victory by 6 points. 
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

hview

Remember how Hill was guarding Warren on the perimeter in the closing moments of the game, then he dropped off him  leaving him wide open. Weems rushed in, but to late Warren hit the shot. Not sure whose fault that was, Hills or Weems, but we better not do that against Tn.

I like your thought, we need to keep someone constantly shadowing him. I was thinking long tall Hunter might spend his minutes doing this, though he might be to slow.

hview

If we just continue to play defense like we have in the last few games, we can compete with Tn. Keeping the turnovers down is another key.

chiefsfan

its not just chris lofton that can beat you anymore though.  Juan Smith is very very strong 3 point shooter as well.   to beat Tennessee we will need to dominate inside, and play tough defense outside.   Put Sonny Weems on Lofton... Maybe the his height advantage can help
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hview

Your right Tennessee has a lot of weapons, they are a very talented team. We just need to bring the D.

razorbackfan4life

I think Tenn will win... but if our defense is solid then we have hope.

Lo-Ammi

"I have a friend who is the cockiest, most annoying Vol fan you could ever meet.

Have you met a vol fan who isn't?

hillhog

If GE is sitting on the bench we have a better chance

40MINSOFHELL

Ark will win, bad shooting was due to us wanting to play tn, well i hope thats what it was lol..ark wins by 7 and lead the sec for the first time in a LONG time lol

The Realist

This game could go either way. 
The one significant advantage for Arkansas is half court defense.  The problem is, Tennessee might not care and just shoot ridiculous from 3 point to make our defense a moot point.  (Ask Florida in the first half about that).  Tennessee's half court defense is not  good.  We can take advantage of their big men in a huge way.  The way Bryan Williams hedges on the pick and roll is a sin.  How he is not burned every play is beyond me because he loses his man every time (He was in the Florida game).  if our point guards can find the roll off of that we will help ourselves alot. 
We will have to be mentally ready for the loudest arena we will be playing in all year.  We need to ride out Lofton's shooting.  He will make his.  Put Sonny Weems on him and just make sure he doesn't bite on the drive and step back which Lofton loves.  He will still make some but keep him under 20 we have a good shot.  Free throws will be big. 
It is a winnable game if Tennessee is playing average.  If Tennessee is playing great, that includes being unconscious from 3 point land and makes it nearly impossible for us to defend.  We should control the boards and be ready to run. 

Will be a fun game to watch for sure, could go either way.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

davril98

first, TN is not the second toughest place to play in the conference.  maybe 8th toughest.
second, you can't put weems on lofton because you can't afford weems fouling out/being tired chasing him around.

gohogs

If Lofton gets it going from beyond the arc, we might be in trouble. he is beastly when he is on

gohogs

Hogwildandwired

This is one of those games i just really dont know who will win. Always i hope the hogs will come out of it with a W but we'll just have to see.
ALL RED IS RAZORBACK RED

mathhog

we put brewer on him in '06 when we won in knoxville.  maybe put weems on him, a long defender?  problem is if weems gets in foul trouble.

if they call the game like they did the game tonight, our guards will be toast, but our bigs will get a LOT of trips to the line!

jgphillips3

This is one of the few left that scares me.  Arkansas came back down to Earth a little bit tonight.  Tennessee was awful today too.  I think if both teams play their "A" games it will be a good game.  If Tennessee is remotely more on their game than we are, it could be a long night.  I think our intensity and depth will be crucial.

wholehog92

TN has no answer for us in the low post either.  I'll always remember thinking we had a real weapon in Pat Bradley and I think it was KY that put a post player on him because he couldn't beat them off the dribble.  Absolutely shut him down.  Lofton is not much quicker with the dribble.  Could we put Washington on him?  I think putting Townes and Hill on the floor at the same time would be interesting as well with one of them guarding Lofton.  Weems could handle Smith very well.  Pell will have our guys in position with the knowledge, it will be up to them to execute and hit their shots.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

idiotghos

If Tennessee gets on, there's no way we, or any other team in the country, stops them.  Fortunately, they're not playing too well.

The way our defense has been the last few games, I'm really feeling pretty good about this game.

mathhog

Quote from: idiotghos on February 10, 2008, 12:42:13 am
If Tennessee gets on, there's no way we, or any other team in the country, stops them.  Fortunately, they're not playing too well.

The way our defense has been the last few games, I'm really feeling pretty good about this game.

Me too.  i say we win by 7 or so.

wwwhogfan

As much as it hurts to say it, I believe TN gets the win.  I think it would be close in Fay but we don't have a chance on the road.

Tomhog™

The only way I see Arkansas sneaking out with a win is a combination of sound defense (with easy transition buckets), few turnovers, made freethrows, and better than average 3-pt shooting.  Lack in any of those area, or God forbid, several, and it might not be pretty.

NuttinItUp

Well they are the best team in the SEC this year. (and one of the handful of best teams in the nation) So, playing them is gonna be tough, but I think we can play them close. I hope to squeak one out and steal one on the road. Can you imagine how our RPI would shoot up if we beat mighty Tennessee on the road?

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

DSmithNPS

Hogs SQUEAK one out on the road...win by 2