Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama Recruiting Issues?

Started by golfjam, February 09, 2008, 12:39:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

golfjam

i was with one one my best friends last night (who is a huge Ole Pi$$ fan) and he swore up and down that 7 SEC schools have reported violations against Bama's class......i've looked everywhere and found nothing.....
he also claims that their class is better than ours....Rivals is the word of god.....and Hootie is the best thing since sliced bread......maybe it was the G & T's talking......
anyone else heard anything?
golf
It's Evolution Baby!

Mitch C

I heard that Nick Saban wears a thong.

hawgwash

Rivals ranks Ole Miss' class significantly better than ours.  Everyone else I've seen ranks our class significantly higher than theirs.

The_Iceman

ole miss' recruiting class got worse since nutt got there and our got better since Petrino got here.

Dr Swineglove

February 09, 2008, 01:25:50 pm #4 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:50:03 pm by Dr Swineglove
Ole Miss got three undisputed blue chips from their current class, the best of whom is going to have
trouble getting/staying eligible.  We had six undesputed blue chips plus arguably the nations's best
freshman QB transfered in. 

Ole Miss has a good class now only because they oversigned, and they won't all qualify.
Check again in August, and see who gets more Rivals stars on campus.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

3kgthog

Alabama cheat at recruiting? No freaking way. They are the epitome of "by the book."

rljjr

HDN could get every 5-star stud available and still find a way not to get to a BCS game. Even an objective look can see Ole Miss got a great RB and some nice players, but we got so much more. As Dr S so aptly stated, OM is oversold and alot won't qualify. I wouldn't even worry about if they do ... they still have HDN.

USA TODAY said we were 37th and Hootie's bunch came in at 23rd.  I do not understand how these ratings are decided.  Hootie did oversign.  What effect that has on the eventual class? 

RAZ FAN

Does anyone know why Darius Barksdale didn't sign with Ole Miss on signing day? Is he still going there?

farmhawg

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on February 09, 2008, 01:25:50 pm
Ole Miss got three unqualified blue chips from their current class, the best of whom is going to have
trouble getting/staying eligible.  We had six unqualified blue chips plus arguably the nations's best
freshman QB transfered in. 

Ole Miss has a good class now only because they oversigned, and they won't all qualify.
Check again in August, and see who gets more Rivals stars on campus.

Exactly. Rivals has their team ranked higher due to more signees. Scout and Espin only avg the top 25 signees in their rankings for the teams.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

johogs001

Also, rivals rankings are formula based and depends highly on quantity signed and not just quality. That's why bama is 1 in rivals since they signed 30 plus also.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: RAZ FAN on February 09, 2008, 02:24:04 pm
Does anyone know why Darius Barksdale didn't sign with Ole Miss on signing day? Is he still going there?

i didnt know he didnt sign but from playing againse him in high school and knowing about him as a person he rides with a cop instead of south panola to away games becuase he is quick tempered and gets into a lot of fights, most of which he loses. he started a bunch of comotion at a high school get together which led to students being suspended. i dont think he made more than a 16 on his act. from my knowledge north west community college would be out of the question for him if he wasnt so good at football, this is the same situation for a lot of south panola players
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

claytongray

Quote from: RAZ FAN on February 09, 2008, 02:24:04 pm

He won't qualify, and Ole Miss wants to place their non-qualifiers at Hargrave Academy. He apparently doesn't want to go there.

FBPLAYER65

Anybody that thinks Ole Miss signed a better class is insane. We signed 6 four stars plus Mallett. They signed 2 four stars and a five star.

hawgwash

I thought I read somewhere Rivals only considers the 20 highest ranked players.  If that's right, it eliminates the bias in favor of larger signing classes unless you sign less than 20.  But it does have a big impact during the summer and the football season as teams are getting verbal commits, some at a faster pace than others.  I think the reason they are ranked higher than us by Rivals is because they have several more 3 stars than we do.  Also, while Mallett was a huge get, he doesn't count in the rankings by the various services.

Dr Swineglove

February 09, 2008, 04:15:01 pm #15 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:25:26 pm by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: hawgwash on February 09, 2008, 03:46:57 pm
I thought I read somewhere Rivals only considers the 20 highest ranked players.  If that's right, it eliminates the bias in favor of larger signing classes unless you sign less than 20.  But it does have a big impact during the summer and the football season as teams are getting verbal commits, some at a faster pace than others.  I think the reason they are ranked higher than us by Rivals is because they have several more 3 stars than we do.  Also, while Mallett was a huge get, he doesn't count in the rankings by the various services.

Arkansas had six 4*, ten 3*, and 9 two*, for 72 total stars (25 players= 3.0 average)
OM had 1 five*, 2 four*, 15 3*, and 13 2* for 84 total stars (31 players=2.7 average)

If you count only the top twenty players, Arkansas and OM both
have exactly 62 stars each - putting both schools right at 3.1 star average.

Given that OM's 5 star and a bunch of the three stars aren't going to qualify,
and since they can only actually give out 25 scholarships in the unlikely event that more
than 25 qualify, clearly Rivals reached the wrong conclusion when they crunched their
own data.  We're clearly going to pull ahead by August.  And besides, you have to give extra
weightto the top end to properly evaluate a class - one 4 star WR is better than two 2 star
WR's any day of the week.  Two projects who project to play only in scrub time do not equal
a player who projects to have a chance to make all-conference or better.  And the Hogs are
getting more than half  a dozen impact players versus just two, possibly three for OM.

Nutt is Mr Feburary - the only reason his class looks better than it is, is that Rivals
doesn't know how to use Excel.  Personally, I'd be embarrased to turn such a sloppy/misleading
report in to my boss, derived from data like that.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

gohogsgo006

Quote from: golfjam on February 09, 2008, 12:39:09 pm
i was with one one my best friends last night (who is a huge Ole Pi$$ fan) and he swore up and down that 7 SEC schools have reported violations against Bama's class......i've looked everywhere and found nothing.....
he also claims that their class is better than ours....Rivals is the word of god.....and Hootie is the best thing since sliced bread......maybe it was the G & T's talking......
anyone else heard anything?
golf

Arkansas recruited quality, Ole Miss recruited quantity
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

jgphillips3

How many times when HDN was here did we wind up going..."hey, what ever happened to that stud (name your position) guy that we recruited?"  His best guys rarely make it to campus and of those that do not many stay.  Yeah, the Nutt lovers can throw DMAC out, but he LOVES the Razorbacks and who can blame him for loving a coach that gave him the ball 2/3 of the time?  Our class will be much better next year and even that much better when viewed a few years down the road.

pigstye

no telling how many of old piss players from last year will not qualify or be in jail. there were a lot that didn't qualify after mid terms, and there is still that hotel ransacking that someone must be accountable for..TCTWF will take action,  suspend them all for 1st quarter of spring practice game, that'll show em

southwesthog

Quote from: PorkThis on February 09, 2008, 12:50:00 pm
I heard that Nick Saban wears a thong.

I always figured that saban wore a thong!!