Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU fires BB coach Brady

Started by HOG RED UMP, February 08, 2008, 10:58:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 08, 2008, 11:37:37 am
I hear there is a coach at Arkansas State that would love to go to LSU. 

Dickey would be a perfect match at LSU
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

The_Iceman

this was a stupid, STUPID! move by LSU. 2 years removed from the final 4 and you fire the guy because Davis and Thomas and Brandon Bass all go pro? come on, thats pathetic. 

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Dropkick on February 08, 2008, 05:13:07 pm
"As a matter of fact, everyone that meets Miles or has had any contact with him likes him, likes him a lot. " -Tammany Tom

Sorry but that sounds like total BS to me. Have you talked to every person that has met or come in contact with him. You all love him because he is winning. There is nothing wrong with that. I bet he can even pronounce Arkansas now.

Miles came into a situation where everyone wanted to dislike him. He was replacing a God. The entire fanbase was extremely skeptical of the man. Everyone loved Saban for one reason only: He built a great football program and won. Saban is a complete jerk. The stories told about Saban while he was at LSU would astound you. He treated people like dirt, but no one cared because he won. Miles, on the otherhand started winning the fanbase because of the way he treated people. A lot of LSU fans were very slow to warm up to Miles in football terms, but the stories told about him personally were always favorable unlike the stories told about Saban.

Look.....college football coaches live in glass houses. Their every move is documented. People who follow Arkansas football very closely know exactly how Nutt treated people while he was there. It was well documented on this board for all to read.  We know how our football coaches treat people here in Louisiana too. It is well documented for everyone to read.   

HOGLIGULA

did you just happen to forget about the NCAA violations that limited the number of scholarship players.  No it is just that you do not like Brady, so good luck with finding someone who wants to coach in that hell hole
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

fu-man-soo

if i were lsu i would hire Scott Drew

Tammany Tom

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2008, 05:38:24 pm
this was a stupid, STUPID! move by LSU. 2 years removed from the final 4 and you fire the guy because Davis and Thomas and Brandon Bass all go pro? come on, thats pathetic. 

It was a stupid, STUPID! move by Arkansas to fire Nutt. 1 year removed from winning 10 games and playing in the SEC Championship game and you run the guy off because McFadden and Jones go pro? come on, that's pathetic.

See how that reads.

Just like there is a lot more to the story on why Nutt was run out of town, there is a lot more to the story on why Brady was run out of town. You guys bitched and moaned because the national media and other fans couldn't understand why you would want Nutt gone. Same story here in Louisiana.

You guys wanted Nutt gone and you are better off. Your fanbase seems very united now, you signed every top kid in the state, and people are excited about Arkansas football for the future. I see it and read it here. It is obvious to anyone with a brain. The LSU fanbase doesn't support LSU basketball because of Brady. Our team plays in front of 2-3,000 fans because the fanbase can't stand the coach. Our best players go out of state to play. Yeah, it is real stupid to fire the coach.

HOGLIGULA

The LSU fanbase doesn't support LSU basketball because of Brady. Our team plays in front of 2-3,000 fans because the fanbase can't stand the coach.

Really 2,000 or 3,000 I am not buying that number at all the PMAC might not be full but there are a lot more people than that in that arena
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

The_Iceman

there is a big difference between winning ten games and going to the final 4 in basketball. he never underachieved with his talented teams. Nutt has constantly done that, not to mention all the crap he did off the field. Brady did a great job with a average bball program at a football school. Nutt did an average job with a talented football team at a football school. Nutt never got us to a BCS game (final 4).

Tammany Tom

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 08, 2008, 05:41:00 pm
did you just happen to forget about the NCAA violations that limited the number of scholarship players.  No it is just that you do not like Brady, so good luck with finding someone who wants to coach in that hell hole

Man, a lot of bright comments being made today. NOT!

Those freaking violations and sanctions occured 10 years ago. TEN.

Nutt had some NCAA investigations that hurt your football program immensely and you couldn't recruit well for years because of that investigation. Nutt used that crutch for years. Your smart fans could see through it and knew it was BS. Nutt could never build that fence around Arkansas. It took Petrino, what, 2 months to build that fence.

I think I heard those exact same words: Arkansas will be lucky in finding a coach that will want to coach for that crazy fanbase. The smart Arkansas fans knew that it was only a matter of time that a really good coach would be hired. Guess what? It happened. Same thing will happen here, my man.

Your memories are so short. I mean it was only a couple of months ago that all this was going on up there with your football program.

oldfart

I am sure that LSU is going to be able to attract a top-flight coach and get back into the fray.  Too much good BBall talent in the state, bring in someone like Anthony Grant who can ignite the fire and the Tigers are going to be back contending for national honors again. 

HOGLIGULA

Look Tom I respect the fact that you have your opinion of Brady, but realize at least  you are not under NCAA sanctions for the next coach.  And Brady was not that bad as a coach as you think, put your personal opinion aside, he has made more NCAA tournament appearances than Arkansas or any other team in the West for that ten year span.  Now he may not be the best coach but do not compare him to NUTT

HotlantaHog

February 08, 2008, 06:14:43 pm #61 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:16:57 pm by HotlantaHog
If Arkansas struggled to find a great basketball coach -- and it WAS a struggle, though in the end it worked out very well -- can you imagine how hard it will be for LSU to find a good coach?

Tammany Tom

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 08, 2008, 06:09:05 pm
Look Tom I respect the fact that you have your opinion of Brady, but realize at least  you are not under NCAA sanctions for the next coach.  And Brady was not that bad as a coach as you think, put your personal opinion aside, he has made more NCAA tournament appearances than Arkansas or any other team in the West for that ten year span.  Now he may not be the best coach but do not compare him to NUTT

I do have to compare him to Nutt, because there is so much to compare. Outside of your state, people think you guys were crazy to run him off. Do you guys have any idea how much people thought you guys were absolutely insane having those planes fly over stadiums and how you had fans doing extensive research into his personal life? There were a lot of reasons why your fans wanted Nutt gone just as there are a lot of reasons why our fanbase wants Brady gone.

You guys knew you deserved better than what Nutt was delivering. You knew your players deserved better by your coach. We feel the exact same way. Like outside fans did not understand you guys, outside fans are not going to understand us and why we want Brady gone so bad. We feel we deserve better and our players deserve better.

A lot of people said that Arkansas could never do better than what Nutt did, even some of your fans. However, Petrino is an upgrade, he did build that fence, and he will do a better job than what Nutt did. I firmly believe that. It may not have worked for you guys, and may not still, but it sure seems like it will and it was definetly worth the chance to see if it would work. The exact same thing can be said for us and our basketball program and running off Brady. We all feel like we will be better off. We might not, but we all feel it is worth the risk.

I hope this helps you to understand how we feel.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 08, 2008, 06:14:43 pm
If Arkansas struggled to find a great basketball coach -- and it WAS a struggle, though in the end it worked out very well -- can you imagine how hard it will be for LSU to find a good coach?

Do you have any idea how much basketball talent is in our state?

What was Arkansas basketball like before Eddie Sutton decided to go to Arkansas? I'm sorry, but it sucked. Bobby Knight told Sutton that he was crazy to leave Creighton for Arkansas. He told Sutton that Arkansas was a graveyard and that it would end his career. Well.........guess what? It didn't. I think Billy Donovan was told the same thing about Florida too (that it was a bad move going to a football school and trying to build a basketball program). 

I can assure you that LSU can find a good coach that wants to build a program, wants to compete at a high level, and knows the kind of high school talent that is in our state.

When Skip Bertman came to LSU from Miami in 1984, he came to a state that could care less about baseball. He was told that he was crazy to leave south florida for a graveyard like LSU that didn't support baseball. All LSU did under Bertman was win 5 National Championships and lead the country in attendance for 16 straight years.

The moral of the story: If you hire a good, energetic, young coach that is not afraid to work his butt off, compete, and build a winning program, he just might do it for you.   

HOGLIGULA

Tom I will say that he should have been allowed to finish the rest of the season, you are not going to find a coach in the middle of a season, but since he has been fired you have the first major coaching  opportunity to open up.  I will warn you though finding the right coach is not going to be easy, and you may not like the results of the search, but it may turn out that you end up with someone who fits the team better.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: bigfoot on February 08, 2008, 04:08:43 pm
They just lost a heck of a ball coach.

well, they didn't lose him...they told him to take a hike...lol

mm

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 08, 2008, 03:46:00 pm

He has a habit of sending various people to the ATM for him to get him cash and demanding they bring a receipt.....just so they see how much cash he has in the bank.....lol...he's a total jackass.

Not to argue or anything..but is it not possible he wants a receipt just so he can be sure how much money was really taken out, since it was not him, and not to show off his account?

Just sayin...
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

LSUfan20

February 08, 2008, 07:36:26 pm #67 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:56:59 pm by LSUfan20
Brady did an admirable job for most of the time he was here, considering the circumstances.  He brought some exciting players in and there were some very fun stretches of basketball under him.

However, I believe the time had come.

He had the luxury of Baton Rouge producing McDonald's all-Americans in three consecutive years, and that does not include Tyrus Thomas.  However, despite his Final Four success, he was unable to parlay that into recruiting success.  Louisiana high school phenom D.J. Augustin did not even consider LSU, because Brady has not had much success developing point guards.  Greg Monroe will be attending Georgetown.  There are countless other in-state recruits that he has missed out on.

Despite returning all but two players from a Final Four team in 06-07, we went 5-11 in SEC play and were snubbed by the NIT.  Given the generally low expectations of LSU fans for its basketball team, it had to be really, really bad for John Brady to be fired less than two years after a Final Four appearance.  However, the team had regressed tremendously and was showing no signs of improvement.

The attrition rate was through the roof, and the graduation rate through the floor.

Fan interest in LSU basketball is at an all-time low.  We are averaging something like 7,000 fans a game, and the women's team regularly outdraws the men.  When Brady said on his radio show last week that he should "schedule cupcakes like the football team," I feel that was the last straw.  Not a wise thing to say when the football team just won a national title, enjoyed a lopsided regular season win over ACC champion Virginia Tech, and Brady's own team had lost to Wichita State and Tulane earlier this year.

His press conference was tough to watch, and I felt bad for him.  However, it was the right thing for Bertman to do.  It gives Coach Brady a chance to search for other opportunities, gives the team a chance to perhaps salvage a respectable season, and gives the university a chance to advertise itself as a vacant coaching position early in the game.

I appreciate his contributions to our basketball program, and wish him best of luck in the future.

Niels Boar

Bad news for us if they make the right hire.  Brady had consistently lousy backcourts and could not develop depth.  He went to the FF thanks to a string of NBA big men growing up a stone's throw from campus.  Imagine what Nolan could have done with a run of Swift, Bass, Big Baby, Tyrus Thomas, etc. 

RazrBakr

February 08, 2008, 08:11:35 pm #69 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:16:12 pm by RazrBakr
Hey guys, did you hear that LSU fired their coach today?  :P
I'll miss hating on him and booing everytime he stands to protest.  I know our student section will miss him .  They always had fun with Brady (older Greg Kinear look-alike?)

Link: 
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-lsu-bradyfired&prov=ap&type=lgns
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

opineonswine

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 08, 2008, 05:46:12 pm
It was a stupid, STUPID! move by Arkansas to fire Nutt. 1 year removed from winning 10 games and playing in the SEC Championship game and you run the guy off because McFadden and Jones go pro? come on, that's pathetic.

See how that reads.

Just like there is a lot more to the story on why Nutt was run out of town, there is a lot more to the story on why Brady was run out of town. You guys ****ed and moaned because the national media and other fans couldn't understand why you would want Nutt gone. Same story here in Louisiana.

You guys wanted Nutt gone and you are better off. Your fanbase seems very united now, you signed every top kid in the state, and people are excited about Arkansas football for the future. I see it and read it here. It is obvious to anyone with a brain. The LSU fanbase doesn't support LSU basketball because of Brady. Our team plays in front of 2-3,000 fans because the fanbase can't stand the coach. Our best players go out of state to play. Yeah, it is real stupid to fire the coach.

good point.  I had learned to like John Brady because I talked to him personally and found out he is more bark than bite.

But LSU should have a better bb team. 

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Brady is a guy I never liked as an opponent, but if he were our coach, I believe I would have really liked him. 

stan the man

I'll bet LSU won't have as much trouble attracting a good coach as we did.  I'm really surprised that they hired John Brady in the first place.

FedUpWithNutt

I think that it is a stupid decision on LSU's part to fire Brady at this juncture in the season.  Perhaps there is a reason that Bobby Knight resigned so suddenly!!?   

lyon98

I agree with most of what Tammany says. People did talk about us being nuts for running a 10 win nutt off. We deserved better and got better. If I was a lsu fan I would think my basketball team should be in the class with my football team. I'd probably fire Smoky, too and want a good baseball team. They might as well forget about track however they used to rule the sec.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

WilsonHog

Are some of y'all actually arguing with Tammany Tom over John Brady?

Hell's Bells, that'd be the exact equivalent of someone arguing with us about Nutt.

LSU experienced a helluva lot of success in basketball before Brady, and they will again.

And to think Brady was damn near begging for our job last spring.   

Tone

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 08, 2008, 04:11:06 pm
I know numerous people, numerous, that have met both Brady and Miles and not one would agree with your statement saying Brady is nice and Miles is a jerk, not one. As a matter of fact, everyone that meets Miles or has had any contact with him likes him, likes him a lot.

LSU may be a football school, but LSU is 2nd to Kentucky in SEC Conference Championships in Basketball. LSU is third in the number of Final Four appearances of all SEC schools. LSU used to have a very good following in basketball. The P-Mac in the 80's and 90's was sold out or close to it all the time. Since Brady took over it rarely, if ever, sells out. Brady has single handidly made basketball a sport that no one cares about in this state. The fans and boosters can't stand him. I know a lot of fans that stopped supporting LSU basketball about 5-6 years ago and all, like me, said they would not support LSU basketball until he was fired.

Louisiana is rich in basketball talent just like it is in football talent. Our best talent leaves the state in droves and has for a long time. The only reason LSU went to a final four recently is because we had 4 McDonald's All-Americans that were all from Baton Rouge that wanted to stay at home and play. They were all very close and wanted to play on the same team together at home. Brady had nothing to do with these players wanting to play for LSU. Nothing. They played for LSU in spite of the man. Big Baby couldn't stand Brady, none of the players like him. 

Brady, like Nutt are polarizing figures.  You like them or not.  People will say anything to get their point across regarding a certain coach.  Fact is one of the summers I was there he was just off coming back from the final four.  Big baby was there and they seemed to get along pretty well.  Big baby had issues, mother, friends etc that lead to some of his problems.  He did not make great choices.   Brady lost the McDonald's AA from there in BR and everyone was ready to get rid of him last year.  Butch Pierre will do a good job as an interim though.  He is a good motivator/just not certain about his bench coaching skills.  I really liked Coach Treloar, very nice to me, my kids and wife.

You can't tell me everyone loved Miles.  That summer there was a lot of talk about his demeanor(mostly from the are high school coaches). He was not mr. warm and fuzzy.  After the Tennessee loss the previous year, I heard how much LSU fans liked him.(sarcasm) They like him now because he won a NC.  Things look better in hindsight if your winning, and a lot of crap is looked over.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Besides TCTWF, I don't think there's much of a bigger jerk out there that had it coming than John Brady.  The only difference was TCTWF tried to make himself look like a good person, but JB didn't care what people thought of him.

Baconator

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 08, 2008, 05:46:12 pm

See how that reads.

Just like there is a lot more to the story on why Nutt was run out of town, there is a lot more to the story on why Brady was run out of town. You guys ****ed and moaned because the national media and other fans couldn't understand why you would want Nutt gone. Same story here in Louisiana.

+1 It's never a good idea to criticize a school's decision on firings unless you know the whole story.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2008, 07:32:00 pm
Not to argue or anything..but is it not possible he wants a receipt just so he can be sure how much money was really taken out, since it was not him, and not to show off his account?

Just sayin...

Perhaps I was not clear enough cause I was being brief....

He has them print out a "balance inquiry" receipt....And this is a common thing...lol.  IT's a running joke around there.

And I can't see Knight at LSU....LSU basketball operates unlike Bobby Knight operates.....two different animals.

mm

HotlantaHog

Whatever you think of Brady, it seems a serious mistake to fire him in the middle of the year. Why not let him finish the season? Sure it is unlikely, but who knows with 100% certainty how teams mature and how they will perform in March when it matters most?

Where is the national media who was hammering Petrino for leaving with three games left in his NFL season? The Falcons season WAS over as there was zero chance of getting in the playoffs, but LSU still has a chance to win the SEC and make the NCAA tourney.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm going to take a stab at why they went ahead and fired Brady now.

He peaked 2 years ago with the Final 4 appearance.  Here is his record over the last several years.

18-11
20-10
27-9
17-15
8-13 this year would probably finish 12-18 at best.

With the exception of the final 4 year his record was mediocre at best.  We would be clamoring for his head if that was his record here.

He was an average coach with a few good seasons sprinkled in.  He won 20 or more only 4 times out of 11 years.  In 2 of those 20 win seasons they also had double digit losses.

Bertman is a smart enough AD and a fierce competitor.  He knows in the long run JB would not take them to the next level.  He also knows from watching his neighbor to the north how hard it is to find head coaches.  What if Brady had rallied his guys and finished with a winning record and maybe an NIT bid.  It would have been harder to fire him then.  He can take his lumps now and by March this will be long forgotten.

Bertman is also smart enough to know how much goodwill if any Brady had with LSU donors and so he knew he wasn't risking anything on the home front by canning him now.

I'll miss Brady because it was fun to beat him, but I think we may be overestimating how good of a coach he is because he happened to beat regularly during our recent period of suckage.  For Hog fans and the rest of the SEC this firing sucks because they just might hire a coach to take them to the next level.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

UhOhioHog

I too thought this was a bad move by LSU to fire Brady. 

However, I seem to recall people saying the same thing about Arkansas and TCTWF when we parted ways.  Tammany Tom is much closer to the situation than I am and if he says something, I value his opinion.  The last thing I want to do is look like same idiots that bashed us for firing the Dork claiming how he did more with less and won a fictional Western Division Championship!

+1 Tammany Tom for standing your ground and for supporting Hogville!