Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Knight resigns from Texas Tech

Started by mathhog, February 04, 2008, 07:25:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razerbacker

WilsonHog

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3230737

I hate to hear that.

Agree with his methods or not, Bobby Knight was one helluva fine basketball coach. The sport will be less with him gone.

CurlyTail

Wow. This is stunning.

I hope all is well. Looks like the TT fans seem to think it is either his or his wife's health at issue.

hogwild6700

Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Topcat

The guy's a good coach but a pure a$$. Glad he's gone. Good riddance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      signed Wally Hall         

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

SuthrnFballer15

"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

vandybuff

Perhaps he is going to work with O'Reilly Auto Parts --- he already has the wardrobe.  I can see him now, "Hey, A@@h@le, that f*^%^ng spark plug will fit in your piece of s&*t car!  Now don't the F*&^ hassle me again!

Let us please hope he is gone for good!

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Throwback1

college bb fans will miss ya coach...one of the greatest ever
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

bdutt

wow. shocker.

I wonder if ESPin will rip him apart for "quitting" on his team...
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

oldbooniehog

I have taken the American Sports Education Program coaching course, as it's required for something I do.

Bobby Knight is offered, by name, in that class as an example of how NOT to coach.

I'm glad Bobby Knight is gone from coaching college sports.

Did he win? Yeah.....several years ago.

Was he a good coach as in good for those who played for him? Would I have wanted anyone related to me to play for him?

Hell no.

I mean if all you're interested in is wins, well, you know the Waffen SS got some wins, too.

But I'm glad he's gone.

I wish all the Bobby Knight worshippers would follow their little tin dictator into obscurity, too.

obh

Throwback1

I doubt those who disagree with you are going to slink into obscurity...unless this isnt the US anymore and nobody told me.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

vandybuff

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 04, 2008, 08:34:20 pm
I have taken the American Sports Education Program coaching course, as it's required for something I do.

Bobby Knight is offered, by name, in that class as an example of how NOT to coach.

Was he a good coach as in good for those who played for him? Would I have wanted anyone related to me to play for him?

Hell no.

I mean if all you're interested in is wins, well, you know the Waffen SS got some wins, too.

But I'm glad he's gone.

I wish all the Bobby Knight worshippers would follow their little tin dictator into obscurity, too.

obh

Yes, I agree.  Bob Knight did win a lot of basketball games, just as Adolph Hitler was instrumental in inner-city renovation in Europe.  I rest my case.

Throwback1

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bdutt on February 04, 2008, 08:32:35 pm
wow. shocker.

I wonder if ESPin will rip him apart for "quitting" on his team...

That was my very first thought when I heard the news.  It won't happen.  Just like they didn't go after Rodriguez for leaving WV early and then also not honoring his contract like a man. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Throwback1

Different situation...alll the TT kids have been recruited and/or coached by Knight's son since HS...this is just an ordained transition...apples and oranges

BUELT1

Bobby knight did win games, but his players went on to become men and graduate. Nearly 80 percent of his players graduate, the national average at Div I is 42 percent. He cut players for not going to class and drugs. He felt it was a privilege to play on a full ride scholarship and you should win on and off the court. Not all Div I players go on to the pro's, so they need to contribute to society. I did not always approve of his methods, but if more coaches held thier players to higher standards, then more kids would succeed in life off the court.
GO HOGS GO!!!!

Razorback88

Hell no.

But I'm glad he's gone.

obh

I have to disagree with you.  Everyone who played for him knew exactly who they were playing for before they stepped on campus.  He turned his guys into men, and won a ton of games.  He is passionate about the game and shows it...would you rather have a guy that just stands there (Stan Heath)?

Throwback1

Quote from: buelt1 on February 04, 2008, 08:57:11 pm
Bobby knight did win games, but his players went on to become men and graduate. Nearly 80 percent of his players graduate, the national average at Div I is 42 percent. He cut players for not going to class and drugs. He felt it was a privilege to play on a full ride scholarship and you should win on and off the court. Not all Div I players go on to the pro's, so they need to contribute to society. I did not always approve of his methods, but if more coaches held thier players to higher standards, then more kids would succeed in life off the court.
+1

claycohog

Quote from: Topcat on February 04, 2008, 07:41:15 pm
The guy's a good coach but a pure a$$. Glad he's gone. Good riddance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      signed Wally Hall         
I thought it really could be Wally until I read "signed Wally Hall".

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Throwback1 on February 04, 2008, 08:54:31 pm
Different situation...alll the TT kids have been recruited and/or coached by Knight's son since HS...this is just an ordained transition...apples and oranges

Maybe so, but why quit now?  Why not at the end of the season?  Petrino left a bunch of paid professionals.  Most of whom didn't choose the team or coach they play for.  I have no problem with Knight resigning or his controversial behavior.  My problem will be with the media who likely will not even suggest that this action has even a hint of inappropriatness. 

I agree that it's different, but not by much.l
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: buelt1 on February 04, 2008, 08:57:11 pm

Good desciption of BK and his coaching approach. 

jgphillips3

Resigned?  What did the devil step down in Hell leaving a vacancy down there?

Throwback1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 04, 2008, 09:03:59 pm
Maybe so, but why quit now?  Why not at the end of the season?  Petrino left a bunch of paid professionals.  Most of whom didn't choose the team or coach they play for.  I have no problem with Knight resigning or his controversial behavior.  My problem will be with the media who likely will not even suggest that this action has even a hint of inappropriatness. 

I agree that it's different, but not by much.l
Lot we don't know...I"ll wait to hear the facts.

heathtits

Bobby Knight's behavior is the all-time metaphor for tough game situations. If you can't handle the coach and practice, how can you be expected to handle a crunch time opponent that doesn't give a rats A$$ about you. Bobby cared for his kids, I'll admit in a rather strange way but look at his record, there are obviously A LOT of talented players who buy into and play their hearts out for him.

Also to my knowledge he has NEVER been connected with anything sketchy or dirty as far as recruiting and administrating goes.

I can see this being an Eddie Sutton type move. He'll be back somewhere.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Knight heard that the TT administration was thinking about renewing the contract with Arkansas.  Knight decided to resign immediately rather than face an annual Pel slapping.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Throwback1 on February 04, 2008, 09:07:51 pm
Lot we don't know...I"ll wait to hear the facts.

...and I agree with you on this, but the media isn't interested in facts.  Plus, you've already said the situations are different.  So how do we really know they are differenct w/o the facts.  Facts which we will never fully know in either case.

Again, I have no problem with Knight resigning mid-season or his coaching technique.  I actually kind of liked the guy. 

Bob from Dumas

Hell no.

But I'm glad he's gone.

obh

I have to disagree with you.  Try your arguement on players like Landon Turner who was paralyzed in a car accident.  Knight worked behind the scenes raising money for Landon so his medical and social needs could be met.  This is just one story...there are many more.  Most of the players who played for Bob Knight would defend him and his actions even though you don't agree with them. 

Dagger

Quote from: vandybuff on February 04, 2008, 08:40:01 pm
Yes, I agree.  Bob Knight did win a lot of basketball games, just as Adolph Hitler was instrumental in inner-city renovation in Europe.  I rest my case.

Did you just compare Hitler and Bobby Knight?

Bobby Knight is a basketball genius and a complete a$$hole and that's about it.

stronguard

In related news, chairs all over Lubbock breathed with a sigh of relief. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: stronguard on February 04, 2008, 09:46:22 pm
In related news, chairs all over Lubbock breathed with a sigh of relief. 

+1

WilsonHog

A few words from The General:

"When my time on earth is done and my activities here are passed,
I want they bury me upside down,
and my critics can kiss my ass!"

"I'm just not at all satisfied with what transpired with our team in terms of our fundamental execution. I don't think it's anybody's fault but mine. You heard me talk after games all season long about missed opportunities and how we didn't see things. Those are things that have got to be taught. Learning those things is just as much a responsibility of the teacher as the ones learning those things." 

"I've spent a lifetime doing what I think is best for kids collectively and individually. I've done it my way and while my way irritated some people, so be it. I've turned out a lot more kids over the years."

"Our big problem in college basketball is not with the kids we lose to the pros, but with the ones we pervert the process to admit - the ones who are in college only to become pros and take up a place a genuine, degree-seeking student could have."   

"I've never felt that my job was to win basketball games - rather, that the essence of my job as a coach was to do everything I could to give my players the background necessary to succeed in life."

Throwback1

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 04, 2008, 10:18:08 pm
A few words from The General:

"When my time on earth is done and my activities here are passed,
I want they bury me upside down,
and my critics can kiss my ass!"

"I'm just not at all satisfied with what transpired with our team in terms of our fundamental execution. I don't think it's anybody's fault but mine. You heard me talk after games all season long about missed opportunities and how we didn't see things. Those are things that have got to be taught. Learning those things is just as much a responsibility of the teacher as the ones learning those things." 

"I've spent a lifetime doing what I think is best for kids collectively and individually. I've done it my way and while my way irritated some people, so be it. I've turned out a lot more kids over the years."

"Our big problem in college basketball is not with the kids we lose to the pros, but with the ones we pervert the process to admit - the ones who are in college only to become pros and take up a place a genuine, degree-seeking student could have."   

"I've never felt that my job was to win basketball games - rather, that the essence of my job as a coach was to do everything I could to give my players the background necessary to succeed in life."

+1

Hard not to like BK's fundamentals and coaching abilities.

(But, he kinda has some anger management issues!)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WilsonHog

And this comment from John Wooden:

"I guess you can never be surprised at some of the things Bob does," former UCLA coach John Wooden told the AP. "I don't think there's ever been a better teacher of the game of basketball than Bob. I don't always approve of his methods, but his players for the most part are very loyal to him. I would say that no player that ever played for him would not say he did not come out a stronger person."

Throwback1

McKdaddy

I'm a BK apologist.  If I'd had an ounce of b-ball talent, I always thought he'd be the coach for me.  Like many have said, his temper and methods may not have been the best, but the results speak for themselves.

His kids' graduation rate and desire to prepare his players for a life other than b-ball are what I admire most.  No recruiting violation, not even a sniff from the ncaa is to be applauded.

Lastly, the Landon Turner story is only one of many stories of behind-the-scenes humanitarianism you can find about BK at the Indianapolis Star.

He will be missed by college b-ball, certainly by me.   :'(
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Throwback1

HOG1947

"yet has never been in trouble for breaking NCAA rules, always has a high graduation rate and gave his salary back a few years ago because he didn't think he'd earned it.

"I am very fortunate and blessed to have played for him. He made me a better man and for that I am grateful," former Indiana star and current New Mexico coach Steve Alford said."

Another excerpt from the article.

+1 to Bob Knight
We stumble across the truth from time to time but
most of us pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off,
and proceed as if nothing happened.

The art of Diplomacy is being able to say "good dog" until you can find a big rock.

vandybuff

Obviously some, if not many, disagree with me in that I think Bob Knight's behavior was not excused by his record.  The point was made that he graduated his students and cut them if they did not attend class or used drugs.  Well, shouldn't every coach do this?  If some do not, fine ... but I chose not to be a fan of their program, regardless of how successful that program may be.

Throwback1

not excusing his behavior..he's a man with flaws....just no doubt, imo, that the good he did far outweighed the bad

WilsonHog

I admired Knight because of his convictions. Simply put, he decided early on how best to prepare young men for life and coach basketball and he followed that method be darned.

In an age of political correctness, he had none.

In a time where it was the norm to lower expectations, he refused to. 

vandybuff

Quote from: Throwback1 on February 04, 2008, 11:05:22 pm
not excusing his behavior..he's a man with flaws....just no doubt, imo, that the good he did far outweighed the bad

We all have flaws, but most learn to have at least some modicum of control.  I may not like the sermon next Sunday, but I doubt that I will 'throw a pew'!

Throwback1

lol...well....it was a small "pew"...besides, he had some control, obviously...never hurt anybody....

Dagger

February 04, 2008, 11:42:48 pm #46 Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:02:19 am by Dagger
"When my time on earth is done and my activities here are passed,  I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

;D

lyon98

Coach K must have thought well of him. He played under him 4 years and then was an assistant 4 or 5 years later at IU.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Vandimar

It's not like he was killing people. He just got a little angry sometimes.

And say you don't like him all you want but there are numerous examples of how good a person he was. Flawed yes, aren't we all, but a good person who did good things. Don't let a couple ESPN clips make your mind up for you.

My favorite thing he ever did was give his salary (alot of money) back b/c he didn't think he deserved it.

I don't know how to say this w/o sounding cheesy but...it takes a man to do that. Especially in the spotlight.
I'm not in this movie, I'm not in this song.

ErieHog

I think Dan Wetzel hit it on the head:

"In his opinion the purpose of college athletics falls into three main categories:

1. Ensure an education (both academically and in life) for student-athletes.

2. Follow the NCAA rules.

3. Win.

After that, it's all small stuff. After that, he figured, what really mattered?

So, if you happened to be the coach who has a near 100 percent graduation rate, who has hundreds of former players who swear your teaching drove them to success, if you happened to do all this while completely following NCAA rules and you won more games than anyone – essentially the best of all-time at Nos. 1, 2 and 3 – would you want to hear about what you consider the other stuff? "

I'll miss Coach Knight; he was everything that is good,decent, and honest in college basketball.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."