Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey and Kentucky??

Started by faulknercohog, February 02, 2008, 08:35:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

faulknercohog

If Pelphery has success with the Hogs do you see him leaving for the the Kentucky job if it comes open?
A few posters on the Wildcat message boards seem to think it's a done deal........Your Thoughts.

condohog

Might be hard to leave at that point.

taintlint

Isn't it nice to have a coach that we want to keep for a change?

But to your question..............

First, Kentucky has to lose their coach.

Second, Arkansas will open up the flood gates of the Razorback Foundation if Pelphry has a level of success that prompts Kentucky interest.

Sleep well.

hogman1974

The very second Kentucky offers Pel the job he is on a plane with tears of joy back home.  That's okay.  Nothing we can do about that.  But we have him right now.  And we will for at least 4 more years (IMO).  Let him get us back to where we belong, and then he can go coach where his heart will always be. 

3kgthog

I'm not worried about it. Billy Clyde will be fine at UK. As much as I want that guy to fail he has won everywhere he's been. I don't see that changing now that he has even more tools at his disposal.

Pelphrey is here to stay barring Kentucky accidentally losing a coach.

CurlyTail

February 02, 2008, 08:56:11 pm #5 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:50:45 pm by CurlyTail
Quote from: 3kgthog on February 02, 2008, 08:52:30 pm
I'm not worried about it. Billy Clyde will be fine at UK. As much as I want that guy to fail he has won everywhere he's been. I don't see that changing now that he has even more tools at his disposal.

Pelphrey is here to stay barring Kentucky accidentally losing a coach.

I agree. I know we all like to make fun of BCG now, and I do it too, it's fun. But he didn't forget how to coach all of a sudden. He struggled through a tough start with another coach's players, just as Pel has gone through his growing pains as well. IMO he will do just fine at UK and be there a long time, and we won't have to worry about this.

That said, if he is ever offered the job, then yes, unfortunately I think he would probably take it, and I cannot blame the man for that.

flagstaffhog

I'm afraid that we will eventually loose Coach P to Kentucky. I hope that I am wrong, wrong, and wrong again...
Go HOGS Go!

HogMavFan

I don't think he is leaving for Kentucky. I think he is starting to realize what a great place this is. Our facilities and fans are as good as Kentucky and I think he is smart enough to realize that he would be taking a chance on ruining his legacy at Kentucky if he went back since they would eventually hate him. Much like Alabama in football, Kentucky has fans that will never ever be satisfied unless Adolph Rupp came back to life.

dfwsuidae

Anyone who thinks Pel would stay here if given the chance to coach his alma mater is extremely naive.  I think it's pretty much inevitable-provided he continues to have success.  We can only hope that the inevitable is delayed for as long as possible.  In other words:  Win BCG Win! 

reddogjcss

Who cares; just do his best while he is here. But he might become a Hawg while he's here; The hawg call is stong medicene.

Rayzback

Be hard to leave Hogs, after he leads us to the next national championsip.... :razorback:
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

NEAHawgfan

It's not hapenning anytime soon, so let's move on....

GO HOGS!!!!! :razorback:

40MINSOFHELL

Pelphrey will stay here, he wont go back

aristotle

Quote from: taintlint on February 02, 2008, 08:41:50 pm
Isn't it nice to have a coach that we want to keep for a change?

Indeed

HogMavFan

Quote from: dfwsuidae on February 02, 2008, 09:22:46 pm
Anyone who thinks Pel would stay here if given the chance to coach his alma mater is extremely naive.  I think it's pretty much inevitable-provided he continues to have success.  We can only hope that the inevitable is delayed for as long as possible.  In other words:  Win BCG Win! 
It was pretty much inevitable that Les Miles would take the Michigan job as soon as it came open and we saw how that worked out. Everyone in life doesn't always end up at their alma mater.

hillhog

I think coach Pel is the only one that knows the answer to this question, and at this point he may not even know for sure.

dwbhog

February 02, 2008, 09:42:12 pm #16 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:43:52 pm by dwbhog
Quote from: CON HOG WAY on February 02, 2008, 08:35:01 pm
If Pelphery has success with the Hogs do you see him leaving for the the Kentucky job if it comes open?
A few posters on the Wildcat message boards seem to think it's a done deal........Your Thoughts.

I think Kentucky will be fine with BG, but if in a few years something happens & they do come after coach P...then that must mean we are where we want to be again.  I think we're on way to being on top again, and I wouldn't mind seeing Kentucky get back to being a notch below us.  I miss the days when we played UK & it was one of the biggest (national) games of the year.

hogninja

Freshly create a dynasty at AR or possibly tarnish your legacy at KY.  Unless you just have a Jones for the KY gig, why?  I would rather create a dynasty than try to revive one, IMHO. 8) :razorback:

LamarMundane

I thought about this just the other day. First, I think it's very premature as I don't think UK will be looking that soon, and I haven't drawn any conclusions about Pelphrey myself until after this season is over...and really even longer than that. I have always believed that a coach needs three years to draw any firm conclusions on where his program is going. (This year is a bit different since Pel inherited so much talent from Heath)

But...I do think if Kentucky called, he would go home. I wouldn't hold it against him at all. Home is home, and home is where the heart is. It would be very similar to Dave Van Horn doing a great job at Nebraska, but when Arkansas called, he came home. It also explains Dana Altman's heart overruling his head and returning back to Creighton. Altman is a Nebraska guy all the way, his extended family is all there, and that's all you need to know about what happened there.

hogfan446

Can't we just enjoy the fact that we are starting to look like a real basketball team again and that we have a good coach?  What the hell good does it do to worry about something that may or may not happen in the future??

Tigerhog14s

Wonder what Clydes buyout plan is? I don't think they can afford to fire him for a while anyway.
Clothes make the man, Naked people have no influence on society. -Mark Twain

Razorhogs

Kentucky would be about the only job he would leave for.  That is only because he played for them.

john

I read in the Dem-Gaz yesterday (i think) that his parents were talking about how beautiful NW ark is, sounded to me as if they might consider moving here to be close to him, if that were to happen, Pel may really put down some roots here
i do believe that Kentucky is the only job he would leave us for

Marc Maggard

Arkansas is one of the top 10 bball jobs in the NCAA IMO.  Pel will do great for Ark.

But he will absolutely leave anywhere to coach at UK.  That's nothing against the incredible history and tradition of Arkansas basketball, but Pel is a cat and that's his life's dream.  You can't hold that against him....but yeah, it will be a while cause BCG will do great at UK.

mm

dunnhead

I hope they learned their lesson with Nutt and will make him sign an agreement not to coach at any other SEC school for at least a year if he wants to leave for Kentucky.

Lando Calrissian

Kentucky and Florida are the only two jobs in the entire country I could see him leaving for.

And doing so would mean he would have to have been wildy successful here and I'm all for that.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

taintlint

February 02, 2008, 11:44:10 pm #26 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:52:38 pm by taintlint
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on February 02, 2008, 11:40:41 pm

And doing so would mean he would have to have been wildy successful here and I'm all for that.

Exactly.

If they come after him hard (sounds kinda dirty) it is only because he has taken us places we have not seen since "Starter" jackets were cool.

Razorback88

Pel won't be going to Kentucky for many, many years, because Gillispie will have that job on lockdown for a while.  He won't be getting fired because he'll win there just like he's done at every other school he's coached.  I could only see a possible NBA jump as a reason for him to leave Kentucky in the next decade or so.

NuttinItUp

Gillespie will be at Kentucky for 3 years minimum.

Ray Piggers

The only thing I will say is that IF the pelph leaves us for Kentucky, that will mean we're winning.. And winning is good.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Marc Maggard

Quote from: dunnhead on February 02, 2008, 11:39:58 pm
I hope they learned their lesson with Nutt and will make him sign an agreement not to coach at any other SEC school for at least a year if he wants to leave for Kentucky.

He would not sign that contract.....

mm

oldhawg

If indeed Pelphrey has a successful run through SEC Conference play, and continues the trend into the NCAA Tourniment, then he needs to be given a hefty raise next year.

We can determine whether or not Pel stays at Arkansas during the next three or four years, not when Kentucky comes a calling-----provided he is as successful as we seem to think he can be.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Bogarto on February 03, 2008, 12:28:23 pm
If Pel is offered by Kentucky he's gone without a doubt. For BCG to leave though he would either have to fail miserably (not likely) or move to the NBA or another school. I don't see him leaving for another school but I can see him jumping to the NBA.

Billy has said in the past that his dream is to coach the lakers.....that being said, he is as much a college coach as Bobby Knight is.  He's not cut from the NBA cloth. 

mm

NWAhogfan

Funny - I remember when Stan Heath first came here some were worried that Michigan or Michigan State would steal him away from us.  Turns out that wasn't an issue.

Like several folks have already stated on this thread, if Kentucky comes for Pelphrey, it means we are winning.

Also, doesn't Pel have a Kentucky clause in his contract?  I can't remember how it works exactly.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: NWAhogfan on February 03, 2008, 03:39:10 pm
Funny - I remember when Stan Heath first came here some were worried that Michigan or Michigan State would steal him away from us.  Turns out that wasn't an issue.

Like several folks have already stated on this thread, if Kentucky comes for Pelphrey, it means we are winning.

Also, doesn't Pel have a Kentucky clause in his contract?  I can't remember how it works exactly.

A Kentucky clause???  That's funny.  First, there is no need for it...second, no coach or school would write it in.

And Pel's desire to coach at UK is strong....can't speak for Heath, but Pel has to make ARK a national contender first....and UK doesn't have any immediate job opening.

It will probably happen one day, if Pel does what we all think he can do...but it's a ways off.

mm

Demaghog

I don't think BillyG is going to tank.  I think it will be another Tubby situation-- good but not great. 

Look, BillyG is ALREADY on the hot seat in Kentucky.  If they force out BillyG they will be the #1 Coach Killer school.  They are the worst when it comes to unreasonable expectations-- they just aren't what they were.

Pel might see that Arkansas is a better situation than Kentucky.  Arkansas is a school that he can win at, maybe even win a championship.  But we don't pressure basketball coaches like Kentucky.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Demaghog on February 03, 2008, 04:37:39 pm
I don't think BillyG is going to tank.  I think it will be another Tubby situation-- good but not great. 

Look, BillyG is ALREADY on the hot seat in Kentucky.  If they force out BillyG they will be the #1 Coach Killer school.  They are the worst when it comes to unreasonable expectations-- they just aren't what they were.

Pel might see that Arkansas is a better situation than Kentucky.  Arkansas is a school that he can win at, maybe even win a championship.  But we don't pressure basketball coaches like Kentucky.

hahaha.... where did you get the idea that Billy was on the hotseat....that's crazy.

You read too many message boards with dumb redneck posters....lol

And Pel knows all about UK....

mm

Ouachihog

Quote from: hogman1974 on February 02, 2008, 08:44:41 pm
The very second Kentucky offers Pel the job he is on a plane with tears of joy back home.  That's okay.  Nothing we can do about that.  But we have him right now.  And we will for at least 4 more years (IMO).  Let him get us back to where we belong, and then he can go coach where his heart will always be. 

Completely agree.  Anyone who says "he likes it here now" or whatever is kidding themselves.  He would literally "crawl" to kentucky about 2 seconds after they offered him.  He is Kentucky all the way.

With that said, it wouldn't be a bad thing, b/c it would mean we are winning again and we could go get another good coach.  Just my opinion. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

FaulknerHogfan

Ironic, I thought about this topic last night about 12:30....

Yes, in 5 years when he has many years of success at AR, he will be gone.  You always go home at the end...  Hate it, but it will happen!  However, I will enjoy the ride while it last!

WPS!

flynhog

i have a coworker who is a graduate of uk and a huge fan.  We discussed this about a week after JP got the job last winter.  He thought it was a great hire for U of A.  the word from LEX is that they want Pelphrey once he "grows up".  He has a fantastic deal here, but hes going to have to get really great at what he does before they are going to take him as HC there. 

Theyre still hurt over the whole Eddie Sutton fiasco and wont have anyone who not going to be able to get the the dance every year. 

I give JP 7 or 8 years on the hill then its off to LEX for a homecoming. 
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

rude1

I think thats premature speculation at this point. First, Pel hasn't proven anything yet. Second, Billy G is putting together a pretty good recruiting class at Ky. So any speculation on any coaching movement is years away from actually coming about.

Bad_Intentions

I think Pel is going to have so much success here, that he won't want to leave. I think this is going to be his home now. He has his legacy at UK, no doubt. But with the way their fans are, they'd turn on him in a heartbeat if he doesn't win and win big immediately. He's beloved there now. He has nowhere to go but down in UK's eyes.

Honestly, it's a possibility that he could leave to coach UK one day. But I think he'll pull a Les Miles. He'll recognize that his situation at his current school is great, and if he and his family like/love the area, which I believe they do - who wouldn't? - he'll realize that Fayetteville is his home and where he needs to be.
WPS!!

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Bad_Intentions on February 03, 2008, 06:32:40 pm
I think Pel is going to have so much success here, that he won't want to leave. I think this is going to be his home now. He has his legacy at UK, no doubt. But with the way their fans are, they'd turn on him in a heartbeat if he doesn't win and win big immediately. He's beloved there now. He has nowhere to go but down in UK's eyes.

Honestly, it's a possibility that he could leave to coach UK one day. But I think he'll pull a Les Miles. He'll recognize that his situation at his current school is great, and if he and his family like/love the area, which I believe they do - who wouldn't? - he'll realize that Fayetteville is his home and where he needs to be.

Obviously, you don't know Pel at all.....anyone who does will tell you that he'd leave ANY job to coach UK.  I know Pel pretty well, it's not even up for discussion.  And that is NOTHING against ARK, cause they are a top 10 program historically IMO....

mm

Bad_Intentions

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 03, 2008, 11:10:26 pm
Obviously, you don't know Pel at all.....anyone who does will tell you that he'd leave ANY job to coach UK.  I know Pel pretty well, it's not even up for discussion.  And that is NOTHING against ARK, cause they are a top 10 program historically IMO....

mm

No Marc, I do not personally know John Pelphrey.

What you're saying could definitely happen. I certainly don't doubt it.

But at the same time, you never know what's going to happen years into the future. I think it's far too early to speculate about this topic. The time will probably come one day, and I wouldn't be shocked with the result either way it goes down.
WPS!!

kbrew31

Good topic.  First, answering the question of BCG's buyout...  There isn't one.  There isn't even a contract.  Just a "memorandum of understanding."  Second, BCG will be around for a good while, but if and when he decides to move on, Pel will be the first and only choice to take over.  And Pel will come home.  Understand that Pel cannot ruin his legacy.  He can't even put a tarnish on it.  He's a member of a group of Cats that stuck with the program and help resurrect it from its darkest period.  We gave them the name "The Unforgettables" for a reason.  We also hung their names from the rafters.  I could understand if Pel turned it down to stay at Arkansas, but I highly doubt it.  But that is a loooooong way in the future, so we'll just have to enjoy our hoops the way it is right now  ;).

wholehog92

I think if UK doesn't give BG at least 3 years, then they run the risk of being known as a coach killer.  I think they know that.  I also believe that BG will be successful within 3 years.  That being said, BG may very well go to the pros, in that case, I would be very worried.  I think now is the time for our admin to get this guy under a real contract.  He has shown he can recruit as well as develop team play.  I am willing to risk individual player development being the only aspect he hasn't demonstrated this year (he may have and I'm just too dense to see it.)  Bottom line is this is the cheapest year we will have to get this guy locked down for some coin for him to leave so that we can flash some dollars to attract our choice when it happens.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Marc Maggard

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that Billy G is one some sort of "hotseat"....that's not even close to true.

mm

HotlantaHog

If Pel wins big at Arkansas, he is secure pretty much forever -- for most of a decade anyway and really longer if he is focused as he now looks. There would be no hot seat. If there is a down year or two, it wouldn't matter. At Kentucky, every year the coach feels like he is on the hot seat. It doesn't take much to lose the fans. If Pel and his family grow to like Arkansas over the next five years, they may not want to move back to Kentucky. Arkansas may feel like home. Remember, it was Petrino's wife and family who really pushed him to leave Atlanta. His family will play a big role in any future decision. If they are happy in Arkansas, don't be surprised if he opts to stay here.

Marc Maggard

well, I've said all I know to say.....the answer is simple.  Pel will be on a plane to UK the second he gets the call.  Nothing will change that...it's his entire life's dream.

mm

WholeHogSmoker

Marc, unfortunately I agree.  Right now I'm watching the Rick Petino show on CSS.  I just saw a commercial with Coach Pelphrey wearing a Kentucky Blue Polo peddling "kentucky proud produce".    :puke:

It would be like me coaching women's ping pong in Alabama.  If the hogs called, I'm gone!  Period!