Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Hall

Started by mizzouman, January 28, 2008, 03:37:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama Hog™

Quote from: mizzouman on January 29, 2008, 02:27:21 pm
Thanks Tomhog.  I come on here because I went to Mizzou and grew up in Missouri, obviously, but have been living in Little Rock since 1988, except for 4 years in Detroit and one in Memphis.  So, I have an affection for the Razorbacks although I'm a HUGE Mizzou fan. 

GMAC?
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Polecat

Matt ain't going to Mizzou, you can count on that. From what I can gather, he'll be at the UA this weekend. Hopefully BP can put a big ribbon on this guy and seal the deal. This is a player who dominated and didn't allow a sack in the largest classification in the state, so his talent and potential is obvious.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: mizzouman on January 29, 2008, 02:27:21 pm
Thanks Tomhog.  I come on here because I went to Mizzou and grew up in Missouri, obviously, but have been living in Little Rock since 1988, except for 4 years in Detroit and one in Memphis.  So, I have an affection for the Razorbacks although I'm a HUGE Mizzou fan. 

Understandable

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on January 28, 2008, 03:37:18 pm
Got a note from someone who knows about Matt Hall's visiit to Mizzou.

I know you hear/read the same things after every recruit visits, but it appears that the Tigers really impressed Hall during his visit according to his HC Jeff Holt. Really likes the campus and facilities along with the football aspect. Keep your fingers crossed.

For What it's Worth.

My daughter is a softball coach at a college right across the street from Mizzou and while it is a nice place and there is a lot of energy surrounding their football program and the school, Columbia can't compete with Fayetteville or Arkansas in terms of a quality place to be, live, play ball or go to school. If Matt Hall chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, I say, good riddance. Everyone has to make their own choices and everyone has their own opinions. But if he chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, I wish him well and I am glad he didn't come here. In the long run, as an Arkansas kid, he will be sorry he wasn't here to be a part of moving this program to the next level.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

RussvegasRazorback

A family member of mine goes to Russellville High and she said today a Mississippi coach had been to the school to visit with Matt

NostraHogmus

mizzouman

Those of us Hog Fans that have an IQ higher then our shoe size understood that your initial post was innocent- no offense taken.  The rest of the posters here are typical clueless Arkies....

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 29, 2008, 03:02:25 pm
My daughter is a softball coach at a college right across the street from Mizzou and while it is a nice place and there is a lot of energy surrounding their football program and the school, Columbia can't compete with Fayetteville or Arkansas in terms of a quality place to be, live, play ball or go to school. If Matt Hall chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, I say, good riddance. Everyone has to make their own choices and everyone has their own opinions. But if he chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, I wish him well and I am glad he didn't come here. In the long run, as an Arkansas kid, he will be sorry he wasn't here to be a part of moving this program to the next level.
Give these guys a break.  There are many factors that goes into making a decision like this.  They have to deal with coaches, friends, and family trying to tell them whats best for them.  Both programs are on the up swing, and he will have a chance to compete and succeed wherever he choses. 

I hope he comes to arkansas, because a lineman of his size has the potential to dominate the line of scrimmage.  He could be apart of something special here at arkansas.  That doesn't mean I will be pissed if he goes somewhere else.  That's his decision, and none of us are close enough to the situation to make that decision for him.  If you really cared, you would be glad for him that he has some big time offers.  JMO.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ballhogger14u

i was enjoying this going back and forth, i to was at the cotton bowl and everyone of the mizzou fans(can't figure out why they don't know how to spell Missouri) i talked to were very nice and we were pretty rowdy, but when you come into someone's house they will defend it. neverless i was getting a kick out of you.

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 29, 2008, 03:02:25 pm

I will have to respectively disagree.  Columbia is a GREAT college town and a great place to live and is Fayettville.  It's in the middle of the state and you can get to Kansas City or St. Louis in an hour and a half.  Quality of life in Columbia is also great as it is in Fayettville.  As far as academics, that's where the similiarities end.  The U of A is a great school, but Mizzou is a top notch school academically and is way ahead of the in that area.

Now, what confuses me is that you say that if he chooses Mizzou (which he probably won't) that you wish him well but glad he didn't choose Arkansas.  What do you mean by that?

Anyway, Fayetteville is a great town, the school is great, but so is Mizzou.

MizzouRah

I lived in Columbia for six years and worked at U of A for four.  I loved living in both towns.  I prefered Columbia but I was going to school there and could spend more time in Downtown Columbia than on Dickson Street as an employee.

Columbia does not get all those "best places to live" awards for no reason.  Both places are great to live.  There is more enthusiasm throughout the state of Arkansas for the Hogs but that is rapidly changing as the entire state of Missouri is really getting excited about the success of the Tigers.  I am confident Mr. Hall will be quite happy in either location.  Obviously the stability and recent success of the Missouri program is a positive attribute.

Uncle_dad

January 31, 2008, 10:50:47 pm #61 Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:54:55 pm by Uncle_dad
Quote from: mizzouman on January 31, 2008, 10:36:56 pm
I will have to respectively disagree.  Columbia is a GREAT college town and a great place to live and is Fayettville.  It's in the middle of the state and you can get to Kansas City or St. Louis in an hour and a half.  Quality of life in Columbia is also great as it is in Fayettville.  As far as academics, that's where the similiarities end.  The U of A is a great school, but Mizzou is a top notch school academically and is way ahead of the in that area.

Now, what confuses me is that you say that if he chooses Mizzou (which he probably won't) that you wish him well but glad he didn't choose Arkansas.  What do you mean by that?

I'll agree that both are great college towns, but as far as Mizzou being top notch academically while Arkansas is only good, I just don't see it.  I feel that both schools have some top notch programs (UA- Architecture and Business; Mizzou- Journalism and Veterinary Medicine, to name a couple from each).  As a native Missourian and Arkansas alum, I think it depends on what you are studying as to which school is superior.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 28, 2008, 04:19:18 pm
He was simply quoting what one Mizzou fan said to another.  He wasn't telling us to keep them crossed.

Those damn quatation marks just messes you up. :)

Uncle_dad

Quote from: MizzouRah on January 31, 2008, 10:49:19 pm
I lived in Columbia for six years and worked at U of A for four.  I loved living in both towns.  I prefered Columbia but I was going to school there and could spend more time in Downtown Columbia than on Dickson Street as an employee.

Columbia does not get all those "best places to live" awards for no reason.  Both places are great to live.  There is more enthusiasm throughout the state of Arkansas for the Hogs but that is rapidly changing as the entire state of Missouri is really getting excited about the success of the Tigers.  I am confident Mr. Hall will be quite happy in either location.  Obviously the stability and recent success of the Missouri program is a positive attribute.
[/quote
Quote from: MizzouRah on January 31, 2008, 10:49:19 pm

Don't forget that we have the Cards, Rams, Chiefs, Blues, and dare I say Royals competing for our state sentiments in Missouri, as well.  I feel that the Mizzou slide of the 80's/90's was tolerated a lot more than the Arkansas slide ofthe 90's.  I think that was because most of my fellow Missourians had a team to fall back on.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Uncle_dad on January 31, 2008, 10:50:47 pm
I'll agree that both are great college towns, but as far as Mizzou being top notch academically while Arkansas is only good, I just don't see it.  I feel that both schools have some top notch programs (UA- Architecture and Business; Mizzou- Journalism and Veterinary Medicine, to name a couple from each).  As a native Missourian and Arkansas alum, I think it depends on what you are studying as to which school is superior.

C'mon, that sounds too reasonable.

mizzouman

Quote from: Uncle_dad on January 31, 2008, 10:50:47 pm

You're correct.  UA has a great Architecture and Business school, but I'm talking about the school as a whole.  Sure, if I wanted to be an Architect, I sure would choose UA over Mizzou.  However, if you compare the programs down the list, Mizzou would come out ahead.  This is not to say UA is a marginal or even just an "ok" school.  It's a great school, but I just think Mizzou is better.  Also, I'm not the only one who says that.

MzzouRah, am I being off base here?  Perhaps I am and if I am, I do apologize in advance.

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: mizzouman on February 01, 2008, 12:04:54 am
You're correct.  UA has a great Architecture and Business school, but I'm talking about the school as a whole.  Sure, if I wanted to be an Architect, I sure would choose UA over Mizzou.  However, if you compare the programs down the list, Mizzou would come out ahead.  This is not to say UA is a marginal or even just an "ok" school.  It's a great school, but I just think Mizzou is better.  Also, I'm not the only one who says that.

MzzouRah, am I being off base here?  Perhaps I am and if I am, I do apologize in advance.

I wouldn't say either one are "great" when viewed as a whole.  Seeing as how both failed to make the top 75, I think the point is moot.  According to the U.S. News national university rankings, Arkansas is #124 and Missouri is #91.   Not exactly Ivy league material.

As far as bang for the buck, Kiplinger ranks the top 100 best values in public colleges (for in and out of state).

In-State

Missouri was #53 (up from #57 in 2007)
Arkansas was #59 (up from #95 in 2007)

Out of State

Missouri was #54
Arkansas was #50

RickyRoma

Quote from: mizzouman on January 31, 2008, 10:36:56 pm

You were doing just fine until you started spewing this...I don't appreciate anyone putting down my institute of higher education compared to yours and certainly don't care to see it on OUR fan board.  Just stick to sportstalk and enjoy your flash-in-the-pan success because it won't last.

Uncle_dad

No need to apologize, Mizzouman, we're having an intelligent (although somewhat off topic) discussion here.  My point is that you will get a good education at either institution, although neither is Duke nor Vanderbilt when it comes to academics.

BTW-  Do you remember Warren Powers sending Drain up the middle whenever it was 3rd and long?  Do you know what Warren Powers is doing right now?  Selling cars in St. Louis!  I know another coach that is fond of running up the middle who would make a great car salesman!

HamShank

Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on February 01, 2008, 09:15:05 am
I wouldn't say either one are "great" when viewed as a whole.  Seeing as how both failed to make the top 75, I think the point is moot.  According to the U.S. News national university rankings, Arkansas is #124 and Missouri is #91.   Not exactly Ivy league material.

As far as bang for the buck, Kiplinger ranks the top 100 best values in public colleges (for in and out of state).

In-State

Missouri was #53 (up from #57 in 2007)
Arkansas was #59 (up from #95 in 2007)

Out of State

Missouri was #54
Arkansas was #50

Ooooooooooooh, SNAPS!!!  Mizzouman gots servvvvvvved!!!!!*

(*just being an a$$)

But yeah, do a little research, Mizzouman, before you start talking academic smizzack. 

DeltaBoy

I'll be shocked if Matt Hall isn't a hog by sunset on the 6th! :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mizzouman

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on February 01, 2008, 09:30:03 am
You were doing just fine until you started spewing this...I don't appreciate anyone putting down my institute of higher education compared to yours and certainly don't care to see it on OUR fan board.  Just stick to sportstalk and enjoy your flash-in-the-pan success because it won't last.

I never put down UA.  UA is a fine school.  I have nothing but good things to say about the school.  Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

mizzouman

Quote from: Uncle_dad on February 01, 2008, 10:44:18 am
No need to apologize, Mizzouman, we're having an intelligent (although somewhat off topic) discussion here.  My point is that you will get a good education at either institution, although neither is Duke nor Vanderbilt when it comes to academics.

BTW-  Do you remember Warren Powers sending Drain up the middle whenever it was 3rd and long?  Do you know what Warren Powers is doing right now?  Selling cars in St. Louis!  I know another coach that is fond of running up the middle who would make a great car salesman!

Powers was a decent coach but kinda lost it there at the end.  I remember playing poker with Eric Drain in the dorms.  Dude was one mean mutha.  Needless to say, that was the last time I played cards with him.

wholehog92

Quote from: The Restless Native on January 28, 2008, 07:00:38 pm
In no way did we own them in the Independence Bowl, but they sure as hell owned us in the Cotton Bowl.  I know, cause I was groaning with all the other freezing Hog fans who sat there and experienced this ass kicking first hand.  In fact, I was at both games...no comparrison!

Hogville tailgated with some great Mizzou fans at the Independence Bowl.  In fact, some of those fans have joined this board per our invites (just like we have invited fans from So.Cal., Bama, LSU and other schools).  We will continue to do so, too.  Posterrs like LSUFan, JoeSC, Crimson, GatorHog, VolFan have been solid members of Hogville -- and good friends.

I like Tammany Tom pretty well also.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

mizzouman

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2008, 11:08:45 am
I'll be shocked if Matt Hall isn't a hog by sunset on the 6th! :razorback:

Yes, back to the subject.  I think you are correct.

OnYourToes

With NSD drawing close, it is my understanding that we will not know Matt's decision until he signs his name on the LOI, is this correct?

No more info to be leaked?
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

BealeStreet

I thought this was Matt Hall news...lol   Does size really matter?  Why are we talking about grades????  lol

wholehog92

http://enrollment.missouri.edu/Administration/Ann_Korschgen.php

Hey restless, do you have anything from a slightly less biased source?  When I was in school a couple of years ago U of A was in the top 50 engineering programs in the USA today for undergraduates.  I also noted a lot of what the good dr was touting was for grad degrees, most football kids grab undergrad and split.  History is great, knowledge expands and grows at a rate where present is more relevant.  I'm not discounting mizzous present, but don't gloss over U of A and their recent strides either.  You could tout a lot of the research development U of A does as well.  I actually like mizzou, in fact my brother was on their rodeo team.  Growing up in Harrison, Springfield Mo TV was the channels we got, so I was even a mild fan of the spoonhour group of bballers.  I would like to point out that this is a U of A board of rabid fans, when you come on here saying another school is superior in any way, people will react.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

mizzouman

I started this about Matt Hall and somehow it got all screwed up.  I would love to discuss the merits of each school, but perhaps in another thread.  Anyway, good luck to Matt Hall in his decision.

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: The Restless Native on February 01, 2008, 11:31:57 am
Hamshank...I have all the stats on Missouri's academic standing versus Arkansas' late and recent rise to a higher academic standing.  You might think twice before you start gloating, since you are clueless to all the facts. 

Missouri has enjoyed a long history of academic excellence.  Arkansas, for the most part, is a neophyte to these polls and rankings...thanks in part to the arduous and focussed dedication of John White (keeping him from micro-managing the athletic department was a slight problem).

“Mizzou’s learning communities are nationally recognized and widely replicated,” says Ann Korschgen, vice provost of enrollment management. “They are among the best in the country due to the high level of faculty involvement, the excellent array of learning experiences available for students, the support and commitment of the Residential Life staff, and the positive impact they have upon student retention.”

"MU is ranked at No. 32 with Michigan State University and Virginia Tech in the top 50 public national universities-doctoral list and is ranked 73rd on the list of both public and private national universities-doctoral."

"The School of Law’s Dispute Resolution Program tied with Pepperdine University, Calif., as the No. 1 program in the nation. The School of Law itself was ranked 59th in the list of top 100 law schools."

"MU’s Department of Family and Community Medicine was ranked No. 2 in the nation. For the past 10 years, MU has ranked in the top three in this category, nine years as No. 2."

"MU’s School of Medicine ranked12th among schools emphasizing primary care. Administrators credit MU’s innovative problem-based curriculum, which prepares students with real-world training, as one of the key factors in its consistent top 20 ranking in this field."

"MU’s Health Services Administration master’s degree program was ranked No. 15. For more than a decade, the program has been ranked in the top 20."

"The Clinical Psychology doctoral program was ranked No. 25."

"The College of Education was ranked No. 32 overall, while its Career and Technical Education program ranked 7th and its Counseling Psychology Program ranked 9th."

"The master’s degree program at the Sinclair School of Nursing was ranked 53rd out of 278 schools across the nation."

Should I stop now? 

The University of Arkansas is making HUGE strides academically -- finally.  I remember back when I was a college student and the University of Arkansas' law school lost its accredidation -- not good.  Point?  They have had huge hills to climb through the years.  Conversely, Missouri has been considered a strong public university and has maintained high standards for many, many years. 

Yes, Hamshank should think twice about gloating because there really isn't anything to gloat about in either direction.  However, you might want to actually do some research aside from quoting the mouthpiece of Missouri enrollment.  That way, when you try to bring down the thunder, you might actually appear to know what you are talking about.

HamShank

February 01, 2008, 02:42:21 pm #80 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:43:58 pm by HamShank
Quote from: The Restless Native on February 01, 2008, 11:31:57 am
Hamshank...I have all the stats on Missouri's academic standing versus Arkansas' late and recent rise to a higher academic standing.  You might think twice before you start gloating, since you are clueless to all the facts. 

Missouri has enjoyed a long history of academic excellence.  Arkansas, for the most part, is a neophyte to these polls and rankings...thanks in part to the arduous and focussed dedication of John White (keeping him from micro-managing the athletic department was a slight problem).

"Mizzou's learning communities are nationally recognized and widely replicated," says Ann Korschgen, vice provost of enrollment management. "They are among the best in the country due to the high level of faculty involvement, the excellent array of learning experiences available for students, the support and commitment of the Residential Life staff, and the positive impact they have upon student retention."

"MU is ranked at No. 32 with Michigan State University and Virginia Tech in the top 50 public national universities-doctoral list and is ranked 73rd on the list of both public and private national universities-doctoral."

"The School of Law's Dispute Resolution Program tied with Pepperdine University, Calif., as the No. 1 program in the nation. The School of Law itself was ranked 59th in the list of top 100 law schools."

"MU's Department of Family and Community Medicine was ranked No. 2 in the nation. For the past 10 years, MU has ranked in the top three in this category, nine years as No. 2."

"MU's School of Medicine ranked12th among schools emphasizing primary care. Administrators credit MU's innovative problem-based curriculum, which prepares students with real-world training, as one of the key factors in its consistent top 20 ranking in this field."

"MU's Health Services Administration master's degree program was ranked No. 15. For more than a decade, the program has been ranked in the top 20."

"The Clinical Psychology doctoral program was ranked No. 25."

"The College of Education was ranked No. 32 overall, while its Career and Technical Education program ranked 7th and its Counseling Psychology Program ranked 9th."

"The master's degree program at the Sinclair School of Nursing was ranked 53rd out of 278 schools across the nation."

Should I stop now? 

The University of Arkansas is making HUGE strides academically -- finally.  I remember back when I was a college student and the University of Arkansas' law school lost its accredidation -- not good.  Point?  They have had huge hills to climb through the years.  Conversely, Missouri has been considered a strong public university and has maintained high standards for many, many years. 

Take it easy, Restless.  I wasn't trying to get your dander up.  And though I tend to agree with earlier posters that (as it is with most every university in the country) it depends which subject you're talking about to determine which is the best school for you, I was (as I stated in the post) "just being an a$$." 

I'm proud of what UofA has accomplished academically over the last decade, though before you call me "clueless" again, pull some quotes from the UofM website, or want to compare peckers or ACT scores, let me state clearly that arguing so vehemently about schools that are ranked 124 (Arkansas) and 91 (Missouri) is a little like arguing that you're the skinniest girl at fat camp.

So, yes, you should stop now.

WPS!  Get Matt Hall!!

ballhogger14u

Hey wholehog, what did your brother do in rodeos, just wondered, i team roped , but it was a long time ago

Hawgballz

Ya'll better be careful, Hoophog don't care for nonconformists.   >:(
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

RickyRoma

Quote from: mizzouman on February 01, 2008, 12:04:54 am

How is Mizzou's criminal justice department?   They should use your basketball team as a case study...

opineonswine

I believe Matt will be a Hog.  If not, I believe it would be Ole Miss not Mizzou.

Rumor has it he is solid for the Hogs (even if his Mother may not be).

PigTimePlayer

This is one of those sources that are famous on Hogville, but I talked to a friend who knows Matt.  He believes that Matt will be a Hog and that anything that had gone wrong between he and BP could be patched up during the visit.  I think Matt really would rather be a Hog than go to Ole Miss . . . duh.

so there you go.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

bcshog

Quote from: mizzouman on January 28, 2008, 09:07:41 pm
Out recruited since 2004 perhaps, but just couldn't win a football game against us.  Now, that's pretty sad.  Have a great day!!!!
Yeah, did you see the effort from our players mizzouri fag!  It's not like we didn't have the talent to whip your a$$ (see LSU).  We also didn't have a true coach at the time.  You need to get off the meth and get back to a place we call reality.  You better hope our teams don't meet in the future.