Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

softball

Started by flippinhogmana, January 18, 2018, 05:31:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

our season opens in about three week (Feb 9).  Our first fourteen games are on the road in Louisiana, California and in Florida. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Southarkansashog

Can't wait! Wish My family lived a little closer so we could come watch them in Fayetteville.

Southarkansashog

Do you have to pre order softball tickets or are they sold at the ball park?

flippinhogmana

softball isn't as nearly as well attended as baseball.  If it was baseball you had better plan ahead and purchase ahead, but with softball, except on promotional days (and on that availability I just couldn't say) I doubt you will have any trouble walking up and purchasing general admission tickets.  It will differ from game to game and day to day,  but generally I dont think you will have any trouble that way.  Give it a year or two though and it will be different. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Already some MAJOR drama unfolding in the SEC softball season. Mizzou -- just ~11 days before the season -- fired their coach, Ehren Earleywine. This is a CRAZY thing to do, considering that he had been under investigation for improper conduct just a couple years ago and apparently cleared. Now, though, the new AD basically said, "upon further review, we want to go in a new direction." There are rumors that last year after the SEC Tournament in Knoxville, Coach E and the staff flew home to CoMo on their own and left the team to get home by themselves. I'm not even sure how that's possible, but that's one of the stories going around. Anyway, he's out and they've promoted an Assistant to be Interim for the year. As you might imagine, the players are a little shell-shocked.

Very glad we have a seemingly happy, mature, and stable coaching staff running our program! Eight days till we open the season!

ladybackfan

Softball games are FREE. Just walk through the gate and find a seat. Non conference AND conference games.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ladybackfan on January 31, 2018, 11:51:47 pm
Softball games are FREE. Just walk through the gate and find a seat. Non conference AND conference games.
seriously? That would be amazing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

flippinhogmana

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 31, 2018, 11:58:10 pm
seriously? That would be amazing.

That was the policy Deifel's first year (to combat an awful year before and the loss of fan support and not much attendance).  I havent heard what the policy will be this year.  It may be the same, but I am confident you wont have any problem getting a general admission ticket.  As the team builds, it wont stay the same.

ladybackfan

Yes they are free this year also. I checked during the fall scrimmage games and was told they were free again.

flippinhogmana

For the first time in a long time I am excited by the prospects for a good season for the softball team.
Psych and I have talked about this a great deal (he is more the resident expert along with LBBF) than I am but I am an active follower.  I am excited for two main reasons - First our pitching portends to be the best and deepest it has perhaps ever been, certainly in a long time.  We are apt to have three quality pitchers this year, though one is a freshman and still unproven.

Secondly, we have the best freshman class in a long time - despite the fact that we return most of our starters in the field and in the batting order - I think three of them will challenge for either starting or extended playing time.

flippinhogmana

softball season starts a week from today in Hammond, La.

the team will play fourteen games before we see them in Fayetteville on the 28th.

They will be televised four times on ESPNU, and all their SEC games (and home games) will be SEC network for viewing on our internet devices.

their first game against Kennesaw state could be a good one.  They are picked to win their conference and won 40 games last year.  They are a lower classification, but still a good game.

Nichols State is our next two games - they are also a top notch team in their division (Southland Conference).  They finished runup last year but return a lot of their starters including five who are picked as preseason all conference.

From there the hogs play single games against ten different team in either Hammond, La, Palm Springs, and in Madiera Beach, Fla before returning home to play Missouri State.

The Missouri State game begins a six game preconference home stand for the hogs.   

hawg1221

Quote from: ladybackfan on January 31, 2018, 11:51:47 pm

That's great! I felt bad last year, because my wife and I talked about going to a free game and never made it. We will be going this year.

ladybackfan

Are the games this week on the internet or on any radio stations?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ladybackfan on February 08, 2018, 01:57:42 pm
Are the games this week on the internet or on any radio stations?

As of this morning, the games in Hammond La, are cancelled.  The first games are now starting the 17th in Palm Springs.

ladybackfan

Ok. Thanks for the info. Guess it will be a boring weekend now.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 08, 2018, 02:15:49 pm
As of this morning, the games in Hammond La, are cancelled.  The first games are now starting the 17th in Palm Springs.

Too cold?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 08, 2018, 06:55:35 pm
Too cold?

i would imagine that had something to do with it, but the official reason was inclement weather (the had some icing down that way so I dont know if they are figuring ice or rain)

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 08, 2018, 02:15:49 pm

Weeelllll... poop!