Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting funny now: Sumlin to Arkansas Speculation

Started by BR, October 31, 2017, 09:25:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

RazorPiggie

NuttinItUp

Sumlin actually has done pretty well at A&M.

2012    11–2   
2013    9–4   
2014    8–5         
2015    8–5      
2016    8–5      

I think most people here would prefer that over what we had.   

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Ham Ham Pigelow

That just sounds like Forde's speculation of what theoretically COULD happen.  I didn't get from that article any particular rumor.

bkjbearcat

I think SECCountry is just throwing darts at names on a wall at this point.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hawghiggs

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

grayhawg

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 31, 2017, 09:37:48 am
Yeah a couple weeks ago it was Malzahn, I would be very surprised if we wind up with another  SEC coach.

The NewEra

Sumlin appears to be on pace to have his second half of the season collapse.  Maybe we should hire Sumlin to coach us for the first six games and have Bielema coach us for the second have of the season?  Just a thought!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 30, 2017, 07:17:01 pm
On the day of the press conference, what three things do you want to see?

I'll start with these three.

(1) A track record of signing Texas kids;

(2) An offensive philosophy based on the spread and the RPO; and,

(3) A track record of being able to put together a quality coaching staff.

=Sumlin?   ;D

Sumlin probably stayed a season too long.  This situation was done after last year. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

3kgthog

Jeff isn't going to hire a guy with what could gently be described as a love for grandpa's cough medicine.

FutureMan

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 31, 2017, 09:37:48 am

Uhh, they were just reporting what Pat Forde said in his column...
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

jrulz83

Arkansas has a head coach for 2018. He likes windbreakers.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 31, 2017, 09:32:05 am

2012    11–2   
2013    9–4   
2014    8–5         
2015    8–5      
2016    8–5      

Remove Manziel and Sumlin would not even still be there.

navyhog24

Might as well just hire Gus if we're gonna go the "retread" route

farmhawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 31, 2017, 10:31:51 am
Jeff isn't going to hire a guy with what could gently be described as a love for grandpa's cough medicine.
He hired brettt.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

NuttinItUp

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Sumlin would li9kely end up doing better than 75 percent of the names being bandied about on here.

ipigsooie

Dude can straight up recruit, especially in texas. I think this would be a great hire. He hasnt been great tamu but it might not be the right place for him. He was owning at Houston prior to am and yeah, he drank too much one night. Stuff happens.

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 31, 2017, 09:32:05 am

2012    11–2   
2013    9–4   
2014    8–5         
2015    8–5      
2016    8–5      

Except for the first year those are mediocre outcomes based on their recruiting since joining the SEC.

twistitup

I like it...he's got fire, can recruit and can develop players
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

SPAL

sowmonella

Quote from: The NewEra on October 31, 2017, 10:29:08 am
Sumlin appears to be on pace to have his second half of the season collapse.  Maybe we should hire Sumlin to coach us for the first six games and have Bielema coach us for the second have of the season?  Just a thought!
You may be on to something. +1
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 31, 2017, 09:28:36 am
Now that's just dumb.

Actually that's just lazy Pat Forde throwing out rumors to fill space in his blog because whole coaching mess is far too complex to sort out without real effort.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Atlhogfan1

A&M has been loaded with NFL draft picks including first rounders.  They've had the #1 player taken (2017), 2 (2013) and 6 and 7 (2014).  Yet Sumlin has been mediocre.

A&M's teams have been soft.  A result of recruiting in Texas and Sumlin's style of play. 

A&M's defense ranks right now:
49th in yards given up
76th in pts given up
97th in 4th qtr pts given up per game

Last season A&M ranked 120th in 4th qtr pts given up per game - 3 spots lower than our crapshow

Mediocre to poor defense with the nation's most fertile recruiting ground based on numbers of recruits. 

I don't really want to see what this finesse Texas football would do to our defense or program.  Some seem set on trying it though. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawginj

Hog Pharm

I think it's interesting that the same people who say they wouldn't want Malzahn because he can't get it done at a place like Auburn would be fine with Sumlin.

hawgon

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 31, 2017, 10:31:51 am

He already has...

twistitup

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 31, 2017, 12:25:53 pm

I don't really want to see what this finesse Texas football would do to our defense or program. 

What it would do to our defense or program? Look at us now.....it couldn't hurt. You act like we have a solid D and program - just a heads up....we don't.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 31, 2017, 12:25:53 pm
A&M has been loaded with NFL draft picks including first rounders.  They've had the #1 player taken (2017), 2 (2013) and 6 and 7 (2014).  Yet Sumlin has been mediocre.

A&M's teams have been soft.  A result of recruiting in Texas and Sumlin's style of play. 

A&M's defense ranks right now:
49th in yards given up
76th in pts given up
97th in 4th qtr pts given up per game

Last season A&M ranked 120th in 4th qtr pts given up per game - 3 spots lower than our crapshow

Mediocre to poor defense with the nation's most fertile recruiting ground based on numbers of recruits. 

I don't really want to see what this finesse Texas football would do to our defense or program.  Some seem set on trying it though.

WTH are you talking about?  Our defense is softer than baby poo.

HogSlop84

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:55:38 pm
WTH are you talking about?  Our defense is softer than baby poo.

Yes.  Is it that difficult to understand what I'm talking about? 

Quote from: twistitup on October 31, 2017, 12:53:26 pm
What it would do to our defense or program? Look at us now.....it couldn't hurt. You act like we have a solid D and program - just a heads up....we don't.

I act like that?  Where in my posts do I act like that?  Go check my post history on our defenses. 

It could hurt.  Certainly won't help. 

Sivad

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 31, 2017, 10:53:28 am
Dude can straight up recruit, especially in texas. I think this would be a great hire.
So he can recruit Texas better at Arkansas than he could at Texas A&M?

Spektre

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: BR on October 31, 2017, 09:25:58 am
It's getting funny now...  Sumlin to Arkansas

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/coaching-rumors-texas-coach-kevin-sumlin-land-arkansas

We know how Bret Bielema fails.

We know how Kevin Sumlin fails.

Heck we know how Petrino, Nutt, and every other current or recent SEC coach fails except for Nick Saban and we can't afford Nick.

Jeff Long's job is to find some coach we never heard of who can fail in another much more interesting way than Kevin Sumlin or any of the rest.

swinemaster

Sign me up!  I would love to know the entire truth regarding the mass exodus of 5 star QB's he went through.  Don't know the details well enough to know if that was his fault. 

I think he's a helluva coach.  And a better recruiter.  Aggie will regret getting rid of him IMHO.

code red

Quote from: The NewEra on October 31, 2017, 10:29:08 am
Miss. State will absolutely destroy the Hogs.  They won't make the mistakes Ole Miss made.  They will finish us.  A&M will be fine. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

longpig

Quote from: Hog Pharm on October 31, 2017, 12:50:16 pm
I think it's interesting that the same people who say they wouldn't want Malzahn because he can't get it done at a place like Auburn would be fine with Sumlin.

I can appreciate Sumlin's drinkn more than Gus's wife.
Don't be scared, be smart.

jgphillips3

Sumlin and Miles are "do less with more" guys.  They would be train wrecks here...like Bielema.  We need the "do more with less" guys like we had with Petrino.  This would be the Brohm, Campbell, Morris, Norvell type hire and would be the right kind of hire for us.  We need young, hungry, innovative and personable.  Tired old retreads are going to keep giving us CBB type seasons.  Surely that is obvious to anyone paying attention.

As a stop gap, Gus is the only head coach of a major program I can think might do okay here, but without Auburn buying him talent, unless he's prepared to return to more of the style offense he ran at Tulsa, he would never last here.  I don't want him but he's the only "big name coach" who I think even makes partial sense.

Al Boarland

sickboy

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2017, 10:34:49 am
Remove Manziel and Sumlin would not even still be there.

Yeah, but would it be justified? Where was A&M before Sumlin? They hadn't been relevant since the 80's, save a few decent seasons here or there. And back then, they played in an up and down conference. Sumlin brought them a Heisman QB and five straight years in the golden years of the SEC West winning 8 or more games.

longtimeHogfan

Wouldn't you think there was a no compete clause in all SEC contracts?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

sickboy

goodguytex

Sumlin to Arkansas? That would be kind of awkward... We already have a HC. And he's probably going to be our HC next year too. And he's got built in excuses too.... Star receiver, RB, and Center and QB go down. And those excuses will work too.