Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List 3 Qualities you want in our HC

Started by WilsonHog, October 30, 2017, 07:17:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

On the day of the press conference, what three things do you want to see?

I'll start with these three.

(1) A track record of signing Texas kids;

(2) An offensive philosophy based on the spread and the RPO; and,

(3) A track record of being able to put together a quality coaching staff.

sickboy

1. Known as a recruiter.
2. Known as a "mind", either on offense or defense.
3. Knows how to finish games.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

247Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 30, 2017, 07:17:01 pm

(2) A track record of being able to put together a quality coaching staff.

(3) A coach that will practice what he teaches. Hugh Freeze fiasco comes to mind.

My issues with CBB is he wants uncommon men, that are dedicated to getting in shape physically and mentally yet his health has gotten worse and not sure how focused he is half the time. Not calling for CBP back but he demanded efficiency
     and attention to detail and he gave it too (yeah personally he gave detail to someone else. No need to derail the thread).
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

The Pulse

1. Attentive to details

2. Offensive minded play caller that can evolve.

3. Dedicated to playing with/being a physical team.

lakecityhog

1. Humility!
2. A man of confidence in HIS system.
3. A man that plays EVERY down to WIN!!!

King Kong

Quote from: sickboy on October 30, 2017, 07:20:03 pm
1. Known as a recruiter.

This.

IMO Kiffin and Venables these requirements

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BR on October 30, 2017, 07:20:08 pm
Sounds like TCU's Gary Patterson

I'd love to have Patterson but allegedly his wife is so tied into the Fort Worth community that he isn't going anywhere. At least that is what I have read/heard. They love Fort Worth and frankly, I'm not sure why Patterson would leave there (and the less competitive Big 12) for the SEC? It isn't like he is poor or needs to go anywhere else to prove anything else to anyone at age 57. Why take on a task that is the biggest challenge of his career when he can continue to be successful in an established system at TCU? Keep in mind, that they don't expect him to win the Big 12 every year, just be respectable. He's in a sweet spot.
Go Hogs Go!

Bebop

1. Has turned a program around/is turning a program around.
2. X's and O's coach.
3. Can recruit.

King Kong

Quote from: Bebop on October 30, 2017, 07:28:08 pm
1. Has turned a program around/is turning a program around.
2. X's and O's coach.
3. Can recruit.

Kiffin it is

Bebop

Quote from: King Kong on October 30, 2017, 07:29:01 pm
Kiffin it is

He isn't the only one that fits that bill, in my opinion. Norvell, Campbell, and Brohm are examples of others that can fit my criteria.

247Hog

Quote from: King Kong on October 30, 2017, 07:27:48 pm
This.

IMO Kiffin and Venables these requirements

No way Long will ever hire Kiffin. He doesn't want CBP 2.0 drama.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

King Kong

Quote from: Bebop on October 30, 2017, 07:30:07 pm
He isn't the only one that fits that bill, in my opinion. Norvell, Campbell, and Brohm are examples of others that fit my criteria.

Has Norvell really turned around a program? I understand that his current team is a lot of his players but Fuente left a pretty solid footing

King Kong

Quote from: 247Hog on October 30, 2017, 07:30:21 pm
No way Long will ever hire Kiffin. He doesn't want CBP 2.0 drama.

It is possible those were all rumors. Also not really a scandal if he is single.

Bielema had a bit of a rep of lady slaying before Jen

Bebop

Quote from: King Kong on October 30, 2017, 07:32:27 pm
Has Norvell really turned around a program? I understand that his current team is a lot of his players but Fuente left a pretty solid footing

True, but Memphis isn't as established as Wisconsin was when Bielema took over for Alvarez. Fuente left Memphis after 3 years and Alvarez left after 15 years (could be said that he still had a hand in the football program after he became AD). Norvell is known to be more of an X's and O's guy where Bielema seems to be less of one.

hoggusamoungus

1. - Has won roughly 75% of games as a head coach

2. - Consistently finished in the top 3 of a P5 conference

3. - Recruited well enough to annually put players in the NFL, especially o-line and rb

That's our current coach.  Just an indication that it's all a crap shoot and you never know who will or won't be a successful hire.

Hogs-n-Roses

A) Texas recruiting history(ties to high profile high high schools and JUCOs)
B) super evaluator of talent
c) is a christian

rbb1991

Quote from: sickboy on October 30, 2017, 07:20:03 pm
1. Known as a recruiter.
This!!!

Dark Helmet Hog

I’ll start with these three.

I'll stick with your list. It's a good one.

go hogues

1. Track record of recruiting useable athletes to out of the way or less prominent locales.
2. Recruiting ties to Texas and Louisiana
3. An intense competitor on/off field who doesn't play "not to lose."
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

pigface

3 time rose bowl coach,   won the rose bowl games,  and 3rd refuses to mention these achievements in press guide if hired

Bebop

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 30, 2017, 07:41:44 pm
1. - Has won roughly 75% of games as a head coach

2. - Consistently finished in the top 3 of a P5 conference

3. - Recruited well enough to annually put players in the NFL, especially o-line and rb

That's our current coach.  Just an indication that it's all a crap shoot and you never know who will or won't be a successful hire.

Compared to my requirements:

1. He has never turned a program around or was in the process of turning a program when he came to Arkansas. He maintained the status quo at Wisconsin.

2. His lack of adjustments which reflect back on his knowledge of X's and O's.

3. He did put guys in the NFL at Wisconsin.

Out of my 3 requirements, he met only one.

HogPhilosophy

1.) CHARISMA!! - in order to attract any attention to Arkansas we have to have a coach that has that personality and owns it. Think what Berry Switzerland was to Oklahoma.

2.) Chess Player - someone who can out a scheme others with x's - o's

3.) merciless - I want someone with a killer instinct

WaltonCollege

1.Someone w deep Texas recruiting ties, experience in LA a bonus.
2. Someone young(er)
3. Knows the SEC

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Bebop on October 30, 2017, 07:54:37 pm
Compared to my requirements:

1. He has never turned a program around or was in the process of turning a program when he came to Arkansas. He maintained the status quo at Wisconsin.

2. His lack of adjustments which reflect back on his knowledge of X's and O's.

3. He did put guys in the NFL at Wisconsin.

Out of my 3 requirements, he met only one.

I didn't realize this was a competition.  Point is, HV would be elated if we got someone with those credentials but outside a select few, there are no "can't miss" hires.   

onebadrubi

1) someone who can't dictate system offensively to his players.  Have a pocket passer can run a more pro style, have a mobile guy can do some option items.  Want so see someone take advantage of what his strengths are with the kids on the team, not stubbornly having skilled players riding pine because he can't incorporate multiple skilled players into a system.

2) I want to see some good assistants coming through here again.  An eye for young skilled assistants. We've had no one leave for an upgrade in what?  10 years?  (Maybe 1 or 2)

3). I want to see someone isn't worried about bama, let's worry about the other teams.  Nobody is beating bama continually right now, so f it.  Give me the L and let's only focus on 11 games a year.  It will come

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

WaltonCollege

davehog

1. Can hire and retain a quality staff
2. Create a consistently sustainable recruiting strategy and hire the right asst. coaches to achieve the goal
*Note - I do NOT think that Texas recruiting is a must here as I don't think that's the Arkansas's best out of state recruiting territory any longer
3. Must have an offensive system that is not main stream

The_Iceman

1. Is his first name Chad?

2. Is his last name Morris?

3. Does he currently coach at SMU?

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 08:20:42 pm

Can I ask why you are so sold on Chad Morris?

ipigsooie

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 08:20:42 pm

1. Is
2. aTm  going to
3. Hire him?

ipigsooie

1. Born and raised in Texas so has ties to Texas for recruiting.

ipigsooie

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 30, 2017, 08:34:40 pm
1. Born and raised in Texas so has ties to Texas for recruiting.
2. Wife raised an hour away from campus. Owns property on Beaver Lake.
3. Had cornrows in college.

Quickdraw

And an aggressive defense.

Hog Fan...DOH!

1) A name brought up at least 40X in the past decade;
2) Over 65 years old;
3) Played for or coached on the '64 or '77 teams

camden5r

1. hasn't pissed of the Texas High school coaches
2. Defense or Offense minded
3.  Finish

Win!!!

Inhogswetrust

I have only one..........Guv must not like him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Piggfoot

I want a coach who is a leader of men and knows in detail all facets of football. His approach to football must be adaptable utilizing the best players he can recruit and getting from them their best talents.

He must be an ethical man and be able to recognize that quality in the coaches he chooses. These coaches must be experts in their field of coaching and be excellent recruiters. Preferably these coaches should be from one of the Coastal SEC states and have years of recruiting experience in these states.

He must have a stable home life and a family that is 100% supporting of him. A family that falls in love with NEA. Preferably no children or children young enough to grow into the area. Ideally he should have Arkansas roots.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Oklahawg

I hope our AD and his committee of advisors take a different approach, asking candidates they vet or actually interview to provide the top three qualities worthy of being hired. Rather than pigeon hole candidates based on my own perceptions maybe I can learn from the candidates (and not just the winning candidate - I have won interviews but not gotten a job offer).

So, I guess my answers would be:
1. has a vision for his program and can sell me  (fan, AD) that the vision fits UA
2. is well-connected in the coaching community so that is easy to go about replacing staff members or adjusting schemes to adapt to UA and the SEC
3. commands the room at first blush - great first impression + charisma (win the introductory presser, win the in-home visit with recruits, etc)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

BigE_23

1.) Someone who has either built something (rather than inherited it) and/or has turned a program around.

2.) Solid recruiter (where isn't important...good recruiters can recruit in any state)

3.) Teacher of the game (no penalties, turnovers, and for the love of God - TACKLE!)

HiggiePiggy

Built up terrible programs and made them into contenders. 

Does more with less. 

That's pretty much it for me.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The Hawg Marshal

The Power Of Pork

1. Doesn't wear windbreakers in 95 degree weather

2. Not the best friend to players type

3. Someone hungry and motivated
I don't know how to put a number to our level of puckered but I will say that most folks in here are puckered up to a level if they farted only a well trained dog could hear it.~ The OTR

swineology

Not Norville, Morris nor Fuente

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

mutt

defense                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            defense                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            defense

Deep Shoat

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 30, 2017, 09:41:37 pm
He is a good candidate that you don't hear much about.
If we make a change, he is the perfect candidate for the talent we have on campus.
All Gas, No Brakes!