Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Newton vs Other Rookies

Started by Dionysos25, August 13, 2011, 09:08:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dionysos25

C. Newton   6/14   119yds 73.2 rating at the moment, got lucky on one long throw. Ponder looks like crap.. Gabbert looked not so good. Locker looks pretty good for Titans. Mallett  looked better than all of them.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

hogfan14

Ponder is 3/5 so far...not much to judge off of. I didnt think gabbert looked TOO bad. Mallett is so much better than cam though...im suprised he hasnt ran it yet

StoernerJonesFan

I sincerely hope that the Carolina Panthers lose every game this season...then when they have the #1 pick in next years draft, they will select a legit QB (or at least one that wasn't paid in college).

David Dykes

Well I can tell you he will be better in the NFL than Stoerner and Jones StoernerJones fan

Bubba's Bruisers

They're rookie QB's in the NFL playing in their very first game. Oh yeah, it's only preseason too.  Not much to take away from these last couple of days.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dionysos25

Ponder looking better, but looks small n fragile.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

David Dykes

Yea people on here act like the preseason is something, it means nothing.  Colts/Rams game tonite should tell you that

David Dykes

Dionysos25

Quote from: David Dykes on August 13, 2011, 09:23:27 pm
Yea people on here act like the preseason is something, it means nothing.  Colts/Rams game tonite should tell you that

You can tell if a QB is rattled in the pocket, if they can complete passes against pro competition. They should be able to complete passes against 2nd/3rd stringers, especially 1st overall pick.

HogNuttz

Don't forget Dalton.  He looked less than stellar.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Bubba's Bruisers

My Rams beg to differ.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

David Dykes

Depends on your protection and WR's

Dionysos25

Quote from: David Dykes on August 13, 2011, 09:24:29 pm
How does 6-2 230 look fragile?

I'm 6-2 230. I'm fragile   :)

Just looks small when compared to some of the guys out there at the QB position.  I shouldn't say fragile. That's an extrapolation.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogNuttz on August 13, 2011, 09:27:05 pm
Don't forget Dalton.  He looked less than stellar.

He also plays for Cincy.  He was screwed before he ever took his first snap...except for the guaranteed money, of course.

David Dykes

I was 6-2 160 at one point, now that is fragile

HF#1

I think deep down everyone, including espn, knew that Mallett was going to be the better NFL qb.  I know it's the infant stages of their careers but I think 10 years down the road this will prove to be the case.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Danny J

Quote from: hogfan#1 on August 13, 2011, 09:41:08 pm
I think deep down everyone, including espn, knew that Mallett was going to be the better NFL qb.  I know it's the infant stages of their careers but I think 10 years down the road this will prove to be the case.
During the new england game the sideline announcer was talking about mallett. He said the patriots had mallett the number one QB on the board.

BulldogBasketball

I was watching the Panther game online and he made a decent throw about 20 yards down the field.

You would have thought Newton had made one of the best throws of all time based upon the reaction of the announcers.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Dionysos25 on August 13, 2011, 09:08:26 pm
C. Newton   6/14   119yds 73.2 rating at the moment, got lucky on one long throw. Ponder looks like crap.. Gabbert looked not so good. Locker looks pretty good for Titans. Mallett  looked better than all of them.
But the Newton Church of God just recently got blessed.  It's the way coach designed the play that counts....Auburn...the NCAA...all play second fiddle to the "Truth".  We are so naive. 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

songofthesword

i have ot admit. cam did not look horrible. he's going to be okay. he's more accurate than we give him credit for and it's going to take a few years to really beome a real QB but once gets the head part of the game down, he will be a really really good/eliete one. the thing you have ot rmemeber ab out cam is, .he hasn't HAD to become a real QB yet. he's been the best athlete on the field, by FAR, for his entire life. But i think he will be okay honestly.

I am even more shocked by locker. he's going to be a good one. i admit i was just flat wrong on that one. as was everyone else here. give the nfldraftmonster dud his dude. he nailed that one.

I think mallet will be in the top 3, where on the top 3 i don't know it depends on how all three develop but i think those 3, are going to make it in this dfraft class and be produtive NFL Qb's

the rest are pathetic. lol the bangles already know they screwed the pooch.

Danny J

Quote from: songofthesword on August 13, 2011, 10:17:57 pm
i have ot admit. cam did not look horrible. he's going to be okay. he's more accurate than we give him credit for and it's going to take a few years to really beome a real QB but once gets the head part of the game down, he will be a really really good/eliete one. the thing you have ot rmemeber ab out cam is, .he hasn't HAD to become a real QB yet. he's been the best athlete on the field, by FAR, for his entire life. But i think he will be okay honestly.

I am even more shocked by locker. he's going to be a good one. i admit i was just flat wrong on that one. as was everyone else here. give the nfldraftmonster dud his dude. he nailed that one.

I think mallet will be in the top 3, where on the top 3 i don't know it depends on how all three develop but i think those 3, are going to make it in this dfraft class and be produtive NFL Qb's

the rest are pathetic. lol the bangles already know they screwed the pooch.
I saw a bit of locker earlier and I was shocked as well. He turned a horrible looking busted play into a very nice long TD pass. I do think its a bit early to declare winners and losers but we should have a good idea by the end of the season.

Tony Perkis

Hopefully Locker will be a stud.

Farrestor

Quote6-2 160

That is good measurables for DeQueen High..

I hate cam as much as the next guy but he is playing for the panters? and it is preseason.....
King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

Dionysos25

Forgot Colin Kaepernick .. passer rating of 27.6  9/19 117yds 2 ints. I rank them like so... for their first showing, I realize it's preseason

1. Mallett
2. Locker
3. Ponder
4. Gabbert
5. Newton
6. Dalton
7. Kaepernick

Pigdiana Jones

All of them will be busts except for RM.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

StadiumDrive

I used to think this too, but I once heard a former NFL player say that preseason is the hardest football played all year. And it makes sense, especially for rookies and 2nd and 3rd teamers. Guys are fighting for jobs, its not like they're half anus-ing it. So when a player plays well in preseason, it means something. When a team plays well in preseason, it means less.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: headhawg7 on August 13, 2011, 10:02:27 pm
During the new england game the sideline announcer was talking about mallett. He said the patriots had mallett the number one QB on the board.

That's why they drafted him. Apparently they didn't think he'd fall to them in round 1 and passed on him because they had Brady. He was still there in round 2 and they thought about pulling the trigger again, but didn't because they had needs elsewhere. In round 3 they finally threw their hands up and drafted him.

New England hasn't been as good lately as they were in the middle of the decade, but they almost always make smart decisions. Let that be a lesson to the rest of the league. You can't tell me that the Bengals wouldn't be better off with Ryan than Andy Dalton for the next 10 years, "off the field issues" be darned.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: salebow on August 13, 2011, 11:37:50 pm
All of them will be busts except for RM.
I don't think so. I think Locker has the tools to be a good to great qb in the league.

hogfan14

Kaepernick didnt look good but to be fair his OL was horrible. He's definately a project. The 49ers should go get a veteran besides alex smith

Tony Perkis

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 14, 2011, 02:26:10 am
Kaepernick didnt look good but to be fair his OL was horrible. He's definately a project. The 49ers should go get a veteran besides alex smith
#4?

AFWarrior83

I don't care to follow any of the other NFL rookie QB's besides Mallett. I can say this, Mallett is a long way from replacing Brady, but he looked GOOD zipping the ball to those Pats receivers!
Hogville member since 2005.

Danny J

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 14, 2011, 02:26:10 am
In another thread I just stated the same thing. Smith looked terrible and the O-line looked just as bad. When their protection did hold up smith's passes were all over the place. I can't believe they passed on mallett. Oh well...it is better for ryan in the long run to be in NE but kind of sucks for impatient hog fans such as myself who want to see him play now. Finally have a QB that can play and play well in the NFL(recently) and he has to sit all season. Again..I know its in ryan's best interest to sit behind brady but it's like being a child and not being able to open x-mas presents under the tree for 2-3 years. You know they are there....but don't get the satisfaction of opening and playing with them.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on August 14, 2011, 02:41:38 am
I don't care to follow any of the other NFL rookie QB's besides Mallett. I can say this, Mallett is a long way from replacing Brady, but he looked GOOD zipping the ball to those Pats receivers!
I think he'll be a starter for another organization within the 3 years.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: Tony Perkis on August 14, 2011, 02:44:22 am
I think he'll be a starter for another organization within the 3 years.

I think Brady will retire after he wins another Super Bowl. I think they will hold onto Mallett until Brady retires, just b/c he's the same type of QB. Mallett might even have a stronger arm than Brady?
Hogville member since 2005.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on August 14, 2011, 02:50:34 am
I think Brady will retire after he wins another Super Bowl. I think they will hold onto Mallett until Brady retires, just b/c he's the same type of QB. Mallett might even have a stronger arm than Brady?
Very possible.

BulldogBasketball

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on August 14, 2011, 02:50:34 am

Brady does have Gisele Bundchen waiting for him to retire.

HogNuttz

Every rookie QB in the history of the game has always looked like crap.  So if Locker actually looks serviceable......how bad was everyone else he played with at Washington?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Pig Worshipper

Cam Newton will probably be a very good NFL quarterback given time. Life isn't fair, guys, and sometimes cheaters do prosper. ESPN is already promoting Cam Newton by showing all eight of his completions and only one of his eleven incompletions. He is a photogenic, well-spoken guy and he is going to get all the attention. We will have to get used to it but we don't have to like it.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: HogNuttz on August 14, 2011, 09:10:46 am
Every rookie QB in the history of the game has always looked like crap.  So if Locker actually looks serviceable......how bad was everyone else he played with at Washington?
He took a winless team to a bowl victory over Nebraska...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: David Dykes on August 13, 2011, 09:24:29 pm
How does 6-2 230 look fragile?

Because 6-2 is probably 6-1 1/2, and even 6-2 is below average in the NFL.

Drew Brees is 6-0, 209. Size ain't everything.
[CENSORED]!