Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA shuts out #8 South Dakota

Started by fire_hog, September 30, 2006, 06:32:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fire_hog

UCA 24
South Dakota 0

In their first year playing D-I football, looks like Clint Conque will have Central Arkansas ranked next week. Way to go, Bears!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap?gid=200609300268
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

spe450

Unfortunately, it's the D2 south dakota.  They have south dakota state next weekend which is d1AA.  They are doing well against d1AA oponents though.

spe450

HAWGTROT

spe450

I was there from 98 to december of 02. 

Flatline

fire_hog

In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

HAWGTROT

Hawgndaaz

who is up for swapping Conque and Thompson for Nutt and Broyles??

I AM

HAWGTROT

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 30, 2006, 07:30:24 pm

I AM
got my vote.

The Hog

May be the best team in the state.  We will never know as long as Frank is in the seat.  Not really.
Automatic RUN!

HOGSWEAT

hardcorehogfan

uca is an up and going program, i am looking you big things in the future from them.  go bears

joshUCA

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 30, 2006, 07:30:24 pm

I AM
I'll pass on this one!!

sportscrazy

I went to UCA my freshman year in college (would have graduated from there if I didn't have to transfer b/c of a scholarship opportunity) and my wife graduated for South Dakota.  I gave her a hard time about the game today.  Go Bears!!!

pbjones81

SAUhogfan

HawgPilot

Adrenaline_Junkie

UCA is whack...........they shouldn't be a D-I team

98hogs

Quote from: Adrenaline_Junkie on October 01, 2006, 04:45:30 am
If ASU is D1 then UCA should be too and the fan turn out.  They have a nice program and do things 1st class.  Lets see ASU play UCa before claiming they need to play the Hogs. UCA will handle ASU.  Former Hogs CEdric Logan and Marc Winston played good yesterday.

AUSTXHOG

Go Bears!  94-98

It's good for them to step into the Southland Conference.  They are doing the right things to succeed.

doo-ran

92-98 (Undergrad and Grad)

Go Bears!!!

Sharkansas

The thing that impresses me is that UCA has a kicker who can make one from 40+ yards. 

RazrRila99

South Dakota is a pretty stout D2 team.  It really says something to shut them out.  However, would like to see them, play Voldosta, Northwest Mo, or Grand Valley.  I think youd be lookin at a shoot out there. 

Heres to UCA being the #2 team in the state in a relatively short time. 

Mordekai

Good for the Bears!  I intend to attend at least one UCA games this year.

-- Mordekai

spe450

Arkstfan

Quote from: 98hogs on October 01, 2006, 06:24:19 am
If ASU is D1 then UCA should be too and the fan turn out.  They have a nice program and do things 1st class.  Lets see ASU play UCa before claiming they need to play the Hogs. UCA will handle ASU.  Former Hogs CEdric Logan and Marc Winston played good yesterday.

How about ya'll play UCA instead? ASU doesn't have any I-AA teams on our schedule this year. UA does. There've been quite a few I-A vs. I-AA in-state games this year. Including one last night http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;_ylt=Ao9SUBx_oKURWNOmCF9k1kiB1LYF?gid=200609300019

bhuie

louisianahawg

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 01, 2006, 10:48:55 am

How about ya'll play UCA instead? ASU doesn't have any I-AA teams on our schedule this year. UA does. There've been quite a few I-A vs. I-AA in-state games this year. Including one last night http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;_ylt=Ao9SUBx_oKURWNOmCF9k1kiB1LYF?gid=200609300019
ASU sucks.  UCA is the better program hands down. 
UCA Alum 1996-2000

Arkstfan

Quote from: louisianahawg on October 01, 2006, 11:24:56 am
Quote from: Arkstfan on October 01, 2006, 10:48:55 am

ASU sucks.  UCA is the better program hands down. 
UCA Alum 1996-2000

Then UCA needs to be the team to break the UA policy.

Hudge

UCA played a ranked D-II team, not a ranked D-IAA team. When they can play and beat a ranked D-IAA opponnet, then they should be ranked.

joshUCA

Quote from: Hudge on October 01, 2006, 12:45:26 pm
UCA played a ranked D-II team, not a ranked D-IAA team. When they can play and beat a ranked D-IAA opponnet, then they should be ranked.
We may not be ranked, but hey we are getting some votes in our first year. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm

billself4prez

As a UCA grad (91-96)  I am loving the fact that we are getting way more attention the asu.  In a short time, we will be the second best school in the state (athletically).  asu has had their chance and now we will take over their position in the eyes of the nation.  Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 

joshUCA

Quote from: billself4prez on October 01, 2006, 01:14:54 pm
Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 
Don't say that!!!

Arkstfan

Quote from: billself4prez on October 01, 2006, 01:14:54 pm
As a UCA grad (91-96)  I am loving the fact that we are getting way more attention the asu.  In a short time, we will be the second best school in the state (athletically).  asu has had their chance and now we will take over their position in the eyes of the nation.  Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 

Loved that front page article you got today in the Dem-zette :)

Kicking Wing

Sounds like ASU fans in the mid-80s talking about UA.  I was at the game in Conway yesterday and UCA has some nice skill players and can compete in D1AA, but even diehard UCA fans know that you are just being ridiculous.  USD mived the ball up and down the fiedl all day and even though they are a solid D2 team, it showed that UCA sti9ll has some growing to do.

ASU vs. UCA would NOT be close.  Sorry to my UCA friends, but it just wouldn't.  The size and speed difference is quite noticeable.  It would be better than ASU playing UTM on pure emotion alone, but calling for UCA to beat ASU on the field or in the stands is plain idiotic at this point.  UCA needs to build on what they have and not worry about this crap.

I sure hope they start playing in JB soon though.

Sharkansas

What Lu Hardin needs to do is promote the "honey" factor at UCA.  Good Lord Almighty there are beautiful girls there.  I mean, seriously, there are fine women everywhere.  Once recruits discover this fact, UCA will easily be able to field a team that can compete with and defeat ASU.

Dollar for dollar, UCA is the best school in the state. 

Beautiful campus, growing academic reputation (Honors College), excellent athletic teams, and hott girls

Fenway Pork

84-88

Damn straight about the "scenery" at UCA!

RazrRila99

This is aimed at ArkStFan -- yes, UCA is playing D2 schools, but they arent playing the have-nots, SD is a playoff threat this year, and quite possibly a Natl Championship contender.  UCA is still playing with D2 players (less a few who transferred down), so it stands to reason they play D2 schools.  There is a transition period in there where they can play D2 schools and everything still count.  I look for in 3 years UCA being able to hang with quite a few D1A schools and be a power in 1AA. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Squishy on October 01, 2006, 03:54:39 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 03:23:55 pm
Sounds like ASU fans in the mid-80s talking about UA.  I was at the game in Conway yesterday and UCA has some nice skill players and can compete in D1AA, but even diehard UCA fans know that you are just being ridiculous.  USD mived the ball up and down the fiedl all day and even though they are a solid D2 team, it showed that UCA sti9ll has some growing to do.

ASU vs. UCA would NOT be close.  Sorry to my UCA friends, but it just wouldn't.  The size and speed difference is quite noticeable.  It would be better than ASU playing UTM on pure emotion alone, but calling for UCA to beat ASU on the field or in the stands is plain idiotic at this point.  UCA needs to build on what they have and not worry about this crap.

I respectfully disagree. I think UCA could hang with ASU any saturday. I would pick UCA. They have A LOT of talent and the defense is great.
I appreciate your disagreement being respectful and I wish I could say the same, but there is NO doubt that ASU would wipe the floor with UCA.  It's the equivalent of saying just because ASU won the Sun Belt and went to their bowl that they would beat UA.  It's ridiculous.  It would be close for about a quarter maybe a quarter and a hlaf and UCA would be worn down by the OL and DL of ASU and it would get ugly.

Sorry, that's just the truth.  Beating lower tier D1A teams and a good D2 team is a good start, but I think you are jumping the gun in your bold prediction.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Cole1976 on October 01, 2006, 04:29:14 pm
This is aimed at ArkStFan -- yes, UCA is playing D2 schools, but they arent playing the have-nots, SD is a playoff threat this year, and quite possibly a Natl Championship contender.  UCA is still playing with D2 players (less a few who transferred down), so it stands to reason they play D2 schools.  There is a transition period in there where they can play D2 schools and everything still count.  I look for in 3 years UCA being able to hang with quite a few D1A schools and be a power in 1AA. 

you are jumping way way too ahead of yourself here.   Unless something happens very very soon, UCA wont even be postseason eligible in 3 years.   Its great that they are winning and all, great for the state.  But to even remotely suggest that they have the talent to hang with ASU on the field is just plain stupid.         Yes South Dakota was  a good Division 2 school...but there is a big difference between a medicore d1AA school and a good D2 school   

The Illinois State game right now is your best idea of where the UCA program is at the present time.  They were a top 20 D1AA school.      Comparing South Dakota to them is like comparing apples to oranges.     

Eventually UCA and ASU will play...  and the game will be in Jonesboro before a good crowd.   ASU will win the game by at least 4 touchdowns...about the same would happen had Arkansas and ASU ever played in Fayetville...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Squishy on October 01, 2006, 03:54:39 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 03:23:55 pm

I respectfully disagree. I think UCA could hang with ASU any saturday. I would pick UCA. They have A LOT of talent and the defense is great.

They have talent...but they havent hit the meat of the schedule yet...  Still have road trips to top schools like Georgia Southern and UC Davis...   Big road trip to South Dakota State this week.  It will be the teams first ever really long trip, and how they respond should be interesting

There talent right now though consists of top D2 players  and a bunch of D1AA players who couldnt cut it in D1
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Porkatarian

October 01, 2006, 08:49:58 pm #46 Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:39:20 pm by Slapatarian
UCA Grad, 92 - 98....Pike

BTW, I believe that UCA has the best head football coach in the state.

Porkatarian
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Arkstfan

Quote from: Cole1976 on October 01, 2006, 04:29:14 pm

I hope UCA does help bring the SLC back to its former glory. McNeese is basically the only team left that has ever done crap in I-AA that is still in the league. There is plenty of I-AA caliber talent in the state and it is much better for those kids to get full rides in I-AA than partials in I-AA.

spe450

What's funny is that UCA leads the series 12-8-2.

Arkstfan

Quote from: spe450 on October 02, 2006, 12:13:39 am
What's funny is that UCA leads the series 12-8-2.

ASU leads 2-0 since leaving the NAIA and 5-0-1 since the end of WWII.
The rest date back to the era when Arkansas lost to Ouachita Baptist and UAM.