Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If UCA?

Started by tahlahog, June 24, 2010, 04:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kicking Wing

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 24, 2010, 09:19:23 pm
I agree about Conque and really do not want to see him go.  I have a friend who is a running back on the team and he said Conque has also established a great group of assistant coaches who all get along really well.  I am also excited for basketball this year and see how Big Nasty does as the head man.  I really don't know what to think about baseball, but I think we are getting a new coach.
Corliss will get the attention of recruits' parents in Arkansas for sure.  It's too early to know how he is as an x's and o's guy since he is so new to coaching.  He needs a lot of help from the administration to improve the Farris Center if he wants to make improvements though.  It's a subject for another thread, but I am disappointed that he turned down a home and home form John Brady.

Hornkiller

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 08:28:54 am
This kind of nonsense reminds me of the "How long will the Hogs run" crap back in the 80s when ASU was playing for national titles in D1AA and UA was rebuilding and fans sounded EXACTLY like this.

D1AA success is fun, but even in the national championship years ASU didn't draw as many fans as they do now in D1.  There's a reason that Troy and WKU moved up when they were playing for titles in D1AA.

I hate to break it to you UCA fan... but you are a case of why there are too many DI programs and pendulum needs to swing the other way. There needs to be more schools dropping back instead of trying to move up.

Quit trying to spend more money that you don't have that should go to academics in hopes that you'll get that big half million dollar payday to go up to Ann Arbor and let Michigan pound on you. Quit having delusions of grander that you'll one day be playing USC in the Rose Bowl for the national title.

We already have enough big boy schools in DI. We already have too many bowls and we can't figure out who plays for the national title half the time without it being a total cluster. There is nothing wrong with being a fine DII program. Embrace it. Be proud of your program. But you've already spent too much money in the vein hopes of being in the same athletic class and programs that have been there over 100 years. Come on - a man has got to know his limits.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Hornkiller on June 25, 2010, 08:37:46 am
I hate to break it to you UCA fan... but you are a case of why there are too many DI programs and pendulum needs to swing the other way. There needs to be more schools dropping back instead of trying to move up.

Quit trying to spend more money that you don't have that should go to academics in hopes that you'll get that big half million dollar payday to go up to Ann Arbor and let Michigan pound on you. Quit having delusions of grander that you'll one day be playing USC in the Rose Bowl for the national title.

We already have enough big boy schools in DI. We already have too many bowls and we can't figure out who plays for the national title half the time without it being a total cluster. There is nothing wrong with being a fine DII program. Embrace it. Be proud of your program. But you've already spent too much money in the vein hopes of being in the same athletic class and programs that have been there over 100 years. Come on - a man has got to know his limits.
Who are you talking to?

hogfan064

If the following schools turn down the Big XII then maybe UCA gets an invite

TCU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Southern Miss, BYU, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, Louisville, Memphis, Rice, Air Force, Louisiana Tech, Boise State, and Wyoming

BPsTheMan

Quote from: 1highhog on June 24, 2010, 04:16:46 pm
UCA has already began to SkyRocket, they have for several years.  No, I'm not saying they are competing with the Hogs, but they have been growing rapidly

UCA has the location, enrollment and possible following to start out by running ASU back to 1-AA. If they went 1-A, ASU would never get another decent recruit in Arkansas.

And I'm sure UCA is considering this.

The next year or so - with further conference alignments - will dictate if some of the lower tier 1-A's will stay in 1-a or go back to 1aa.

They need to start by building up Estes Stadium. I was there maybe a year ago and it didn't look much bigger than it did in the 80's - somewhat, but not enough.

The Conway and outer Little Rock market could make this possible for the Bears.

010HogFan

BPsTheMan

Partly true, but this should/will be based on markets.

As is, concievably, UCA has a much better potential than even Louisiana Tech (Little Rock/Conway versus Ruston).

The overall reward, IMHO, will be a reimergence of the old SWC - or something similar. It could/would raid the CUSA for sure, but IF this plays out, it will be 2-4 years down the road.

Baylor for instance, is going to get screwed at soome point - it's just a matter of time. Rice and SMU and possibly Houston will have no choice to join Baylor in a coalition. Add Larry Coker's upstart UT-San Antonio, and if UCA plays it's cards right and starts getting aggressive, they could fill in with this mix.

low tier 1-A's with a good/decent market include Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, North Texas for sure, et.

Jonesboro ain't gonna cut it in the long term.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 11:12:59 am
UCA has the location, enrollment and possible following to start out by running ASU back to 1-AA. If they went 1-A, ASU would never get another decent recruit in Arkansas.

The next year or so - with further conference alignments - will dictate if some of the lower tier 1-A's will stay in 1-a or go back to 1aa.

They need to start by building up Estes Stadium. I was there maybe a year ago and it didn't look much bigger than it did in the 80's - somewhat, but not enough.

I am positive that UCA is NOT considering this at all.

Estes is around 8500 capacity.

D1A is not contracting.  When the moratorium is lifted next year there will be a few teams added.  ASU is finally in a stable conference and just being in D1 is more lucrative financially than being an elite D1AA program.

A central Arkansas loccation isn't a big advantage to recruiting.  Just ask UALR.  Enrollment isn't really a big factor but UCA is the 4th largest school in the state so I don't get where you think enrollment is a big advantage.  Heck, Pulaski Tech has nearly 10,000 students, maybe they will move to D1 and take advantage of that central AR location!!

I go to ASU games as well as UCA and UA games so I have a pretty good idea of the support.  Do you go to all three?

hogfan064

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 11:12:59 am

There are several 1-AA schools that have more potential to make the jump up to 1-A before UCA does.  Schools like Montana, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Delaware, North Dakota State, and Texas State would be well ahead of ASU.   Even MEAC schools like Florida A&M and SC State have better resources. 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 11:32:46 am

D1A is not contracting.  When the moratorium is lifted next year there will be a few teams added.  ASU is finally in a stable conference and just being in D1 is more lucrative financially than being an elite D1AA program.

A central Arkansas loccation isn't a big advantage to recruiting.  Just ask UALR.  Enrollment isn't really a big factor but UCA is the 4th largest school in the state so I don't get where you think enrollment is a big advantage.  Heck, Pulaski Tech has nearly 10,000 students, maybe they will move to D1 and take advantage of that central AR location!!

I go to ASU games as well as UCA and UA games so I have a pretty good idea of the support.  Do you go to all three?

I played against them a gazillion years ago, but I have no idea of their support. If there is none, then you're correct - they can forget it.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 11:29:51 am
Partly true, but this should/will be based on markets.

As is, concievably, UCA has a much better potential than even Louisiana Tech (Little Rock/Conway versus Ruston).

The overall reward, IMHO, will be a reimergence of the old SWC - or something similar. It could/would raid the CUSA for sure, but IF this plays out, it will be 2-4 years down the road.

Baylor for instance, is going to get screwed at soome point - it's just a matter of time. Rice and SMU and possibly Houston will have no choice to join Baylor in a coalition. Add Larry Coker's upstart UT-San Antonio, and if UCA plays it's cards right and starts getting aggressive, they could fill in with this mix.

low tier 1-A's with a good/decent market include Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, North Texas for sure, et.

Jonesboro ain't gonna cut it in the long term.
How is it that Jonesboro with 66K population and a metro of over a million people an hour away can't make it but Conway with 57K population and a metro of 500K 45 minutes away is ideally suited to jump to the big time?  Their geography, enrollment and finances are quite similar.  The infrastrucutres are much different.

So. Miss., La. Tech, Miss. St., Kansas St., and so on are all in less than booming metropolitan regions and have thrived.  This doesn't mean ASU or UCA will do the same, but it certainly is evidence that geography isn't everything.  For that matter, UA outperforms a LOT of schools located in the largest citites in the country.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 11:36:37 am
I played against them a gazillion years ago, but I have no idea of their support. If there is none, then you're correct - they can forget it.
Which "they" do you refer to? 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 25, 2010, 11:34:09 am
There are several 1-AA schools that have more potential to make the jump up to 1-A before UCA does.  Schools like Montana, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Delaware, North Dakota State, and Texas State would be well ahead of ASU.   Even MEAC schools like Florida A&M and SC State have better resources.

Montana - yes
Boone NC and Statesboro GA, no way.
ND State - actually yes too
Delware maybe
Texas State maybe

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 11:39:01 am
Which "they" do you refer to?

UCA. They would need to have a legit following - you are correct. Too many upstart 1-A's lied about their game attendance during their transistional periods.

DeltaBoy

I want UCA to go D-1 and join the Sunbelt.  Then they could play at WMS and the money would help WMS get more imporvments.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan064

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 11:40:10 am
Montana - yes
Boone NC and Statesboro GA, no way.
ND State - actually yes too
Delware maybe
Texas State maybe

App State and Georgia Southern beat UCA in attendance every year and it's not even close.  They have more support and far better programs. 

The size of the city means nothing when we're talking about FCS programs moving up to FBS.  It all has to do with fan support and right now UCA isn't close to meeting the NCAA requirements. 

The Marmot

Quote from: tahlahog on June 24, 2010, 05:46:34 pm
What is was wondering was if UCA competed against teams such as Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri, and could compete with them, would you gravitate towards a UCA.  Oh by the way i Know it would be a long shot that this could ever happen maybe even an impossibility. 

If someone gave up Hog sports for UCA sports, they were never a Hog fan to begin with.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 25, 2010, 11:53:10 am
App State and Georgia Southern beat UCA in attendance every year and it's not even close.  They have more support and far better programs. 

The size of the city means nothing when we're talking about FCS programs moving up to FBS.  It all has to do with fan support and right now UCA isn't close to meeting the NCAA requirements.

We're not far from agreeing. But UCA has more raw potential to succeed at this than Appy State and GSU in the long term.

Nevada (Reno) was playing AT UCA in the early 80's. Troy was still in the Gulf South in the late 80's - not even close to Appy State.

A UCA move to 1-A in a few years would jolt their alumni into showing up. It happened like that at La TEch, Middle Tennessee, WKU, etc.

hogfan064

Quote from: BPsTheMan on June 25, 2010, 12:02:24 pm
We're not far from agreeing. But UCA has more raw potential to succeed at this than Appy State and GSU in the long term.

Nevada (Reno) was playing AT UCA in the early 80's. Troy was still in the Gulf South in the late 80's - not even close to Appy State.

A UCA move to 1-A in a few years would jolt their alumni into showing up. It happened like that at La TEch, Middle Tennessee, WKU, etc.

If ASU moved up to FCS the samething would happen to their attendance.  The difference is that App State averages 24,000 fans a game.  App State has had crowds over 30,000 before. 

UCA averages about 8,000.  This would likely put them somewhere between 25-30 in average attendance in the FCS. 

UCA is about where Coastal Carolina is.  2 schools that have recently become FCS programs, but lack fan support.  Coastal has a great area to recruit to and is in a rapidly growing community and is about the same size as UCA(enrollment).  Both are a long ways away from a move to FBS.

spe450

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 11:32:46 am

http://education-portal.com/articles/Arkansas_(AR):_Colleges,__Schools_and_University_System.html

This has UCA as 3rd, just a little ahead of ASU.

Why even bring UALR into the discussion?  They have no football program and they have no campus life.  The vast majority of their students are commuters.

And UCA is 15 minutes away from Little Rock, not 45.

spe450

I think UCA should stay where they are for at least the next ten years.  Much of the faculty wanted the school to remain D2 before the move up.  They wanted the school to remain a primarily undergraduate school.  I really don't see them moving up again anytime soon. 

cbjagman

Quote from: tahlahog on June 24, 2010, 04:07:41 pm
If UCA's program can begin to skyrocket, and if it is possible (although highly unlikely) that they could hop into say the big 12, What would that do to the hog fanbase? Just curious thought until football season comes around.
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Might want to consider this isn't a joke board with the exception of the trolls such as rebelboozer and olemiserybydamn.

hogfan064

To put the UCA attendance in perspective.

Last year App State averaged 24,000 a game.  That would rank them 83rd in 1-A ahead of 36 other members if they were at that level.

Last season UCA averaged 8,500 a game.  This would rank them 8th in D2 if they were at that level.

spe450

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 25, 2010, 12:36:11 pm
To put the UCA attendance in perspective.

Last year App State averaged 24,000 a game.  That would rank them 83rd in 1-A ahead of 36 other members if they were at that level.

Last season UCA averaged 8,500 a game.  This would rank them 8th in D2 if they were at that level.

Yep, and it is primarily students at the game.  They would definitely have to start playing the tuesday night games if they ever wanted to gain enough support.  Too much competition on Saturdays.

PigWine

Quote from: solix on June 24, 2010, 09:12:03 pm
If you had a choice between being the top scientist in your field and getting mad cow disease what would you pick?

/applaude

Solix... What's your favorite planet?... Mine's the Sun.

cbjagman

June 25, 2010, 12:55:34 pm #75 Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:57:13 pm by cbjagman
Quote from: hogfan064 on June 25, 2010, 10:48:12 am
If the following schools turn down the Big XII then maybe UCA gets an invite

TCU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Southern Miss, BYU, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, Louisville, Memphis, Rice, Air Force, Louisiana Tech, Boise State, and Wyoming
You might want to add such teams as Harden-Simmons, Sam Houston State, ULM, McNeese State, Montana Tech, Hawaii Poly, Pacific, Holy Cross, Slippery Rock, Davidson, Liberty, Shiloh Christian, Little Rock Central, Pulaski Academy, etc.

IronHog

Quote from: The Marmot on June 25, 2010, 11:58:10 am
If someone gave up Hog sports for UCA sports, they were never a Hog fan to begin with.

Arkansas effectively has a much larger support base than the rather small UAF campus because every college in the state is made up of Hog fans except for ASU.

Most schools don't have that.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: spe450 on June 25, 2010, 12:20:56 pm
http://education-portal.com/articles/Arkansas_(AR):_Colleges,__Schools_and_University_System.html

Why even bring UALR into the discussion?  They have no football program and they have no campus life.  The vast majority of their students are commuters.

That's not current. ASU is over 12K and UCA is not near it anymore.  UCA dropped the last few years.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: spe450 on June 25, 2010, 12:20:56 pm

Also, are you driving a rocketship? 

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

spe450

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
Also, are you driving a rocketship? 

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Are you driving a horse drawn carriage?

Maybe you should check out the map.  But I guess you don't need to since you go to many of the games.  If you can't make it to Lake Liquor and back within 30 minutes, you are doing something wrong. And Maumelle is right outside of Little Rock.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: spe450 on June 25, 2010, 02:51:57 pm
Are you driving a horse drawn carriage?

Maybe you should check out the map.  But I guess you don't need to since you go to many of the games.  If you can't make it to Lake Liquor and back within 30 minutes, you are doing something wrong. And Maumelle is right outside of Little Rock.
So, it's Maumelle now?  HAHA!!!!  I know where Maumelle is, I was there Sunday and I work in LR.  It takes a good 45 minutes from downtown LR to UCA's campus in an automobile.  Sure as heck can't make it in 15 minutes unless you have a plane but then there's the fueling, pre-flight checks, etc.

spe450

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 25, 2010, 03:04:02 pm
So, it's Maumelle now?  HAHA!!!!  I know where Maumelle is, I was there Sunday and I work in LR.  It takes a good 45 minutes from downtown LR to UCA's campus in an automobile.  Sure as heck can't make it in 15 minutes unless you have a plane but then there's the fueling, pre-flight checks, etc.
Why downtown?  You said the metro area?

spe450

At this point, I'm just arguing because I'm bored at work, Kicking Wing. 

It should honestly take about 30 minutes, per the google maps link provided to go from main street to downtown little rock.  So I'll give you those extra 15, but that's it. :)

Kicking Wing

Quote from: spe450 on June 25, 2010, 03:09:03 pm
At this point, I'm just arguing because I'm bored at work, Kicking Wing. 

It should honestly take about 30 minutes, per the google maps link provided to go from main street to downtown little rock.  So I'll give you those extra 15, but that's it. :)

I understand.  I am ready to leave too.

Honestly, Jonesboro and Conway are VERY similar in size, entertainment, demographics and so on.  Both have had very serious growth over the last 20 years and both are convenient to a larger metro area.  Of course, that's a big reason they've grown.

cosmodrum

Grander? So which smaller school that spent too much money on athletics and not enough on academics did YOU attend?
Go away, batin'

AppleHog

Thanks coach.

We had a great time.