Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If UCA?

Started by tahlahog, June 24, 2010, 04:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tahlahog

If UCA's program can begin to skyrocket, and if it is possible (although highly unlikely) that they could hop into say the big 12, What would that do to the hog fanbase? Just curious thought until football season comes around.

1highhog

Is there anyway this can become a NWA  against Central Arkansas Thread???  Just sayin..

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: tahlahog on June 24, 2010, 04:07:41 pm
If UCA's program can begin to skyrocket, and if it is possible (although highly unlikely) that they could hop into say the big 12, What would that do to the hog fanbase? Just curious thought until football season comes around.

The first thing they would need to do is get their program up to D-I status

Buff

If UCA football gets big enough to jump to the Lil12-2, I will be hiding in a cave trying to ride out the apocalypse.

1highhog

UCA has already began to SkyRocket, they have for several years.  No, I'm not saying they are competing with the Hogs, but they have been growing rapidly and i don't have the numbers to back it up, (I'm sure someone here does) but it seemed as though at one time they were forecast to overtake maybe it was ASU or somebody as the 2nd biggest College in Arkansas sometime in the Near future, anyone know the true numbers on this?
As far as Football goes, UCA has a very good program and even though they are way below what the Razorbacks have, I root for them and love to see them do well, it seems as though they play a-lot of Texas teams and they have a heck of a  Football Coach.

JadedHog

June 24, 2010, 04:22:48 pm #6 Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:49:31 pm by JadedHog

if the earth started spinning in the opposite direction tonight would the sun come up in the west tommorrow? there's more likelyhood of that happening than UCA going to the Big 12.

losthawg68

Quote from: JadedHog on June 24, 2010, 04:22:48 pm
if the earth started spinning in the opposite direction tonight would the sun come up in the west tommorrow?

Would that make time run backwards and toilet water to swirl in the opposite direction when flushed?
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

daprospecta

Just would be another team to root for unless they played the hogs. I can't remember the year but I remember when Arkansas and ARkansas st. made the tourney.I was 15 I think. That's was nice watching two teams from ar play.  Even though A st. got put out early.

1highhog

the UofA has a student population of 19,849.  ASU has a student population of 12,156.  UCA as of 2010 is stated to have a student population of 10,861 students, a decrease of 8.1% over that of Spring 2009. UCA saw its highest enrollment in Fall 2008 with 12,974 students, an increase of 2.8 percent over its enrollment one year earlier, which was 12,619.  This is all I could come up with, but according to this, UCA still has a little way to go.

Brewhahog

I could easily see the big 12 going with uca over a school like TCU who played in a bCS bowl game or Tulsa who has been ranked in the top 25...this just in CBP has been fired and replaced by j. frank Broyles!

bigdaddyhawg

Not sure "curious" is the word I'd use to describe your thought here.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jdevers

University student population size has nothing to do with D1 status.  How is the attendance at UCA's games? 

UCA is substantially larger than quite a few D1 universities already, but is there really enough support to build a stadium that can hold a lot more people?  15,000 per home game average (the current record at their stadium is a bit over 12,000).  They also will have to raise the level of more than just football to be considered.

tahlahog

with the evolutionist in the world this would be possible.
Quote from: JadedHog on June 24, 2010, 04:22:48 pm
if the earth started spinning in the opposite direction tonight would the sun come up in the west tommorrow? there's more likelyhood of that happening than UCA going to the Big 12.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: losthawg68 on June 24, 2010, 04:26:45 pm
Would that make time run backwards and toilet water to swirl in the opposite direction when flushed?

Outstanding questions both.  I have oft' pondered these exact things.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: jdevers on June 24, 2010, 05:41:41 pm
University student population size has nothing to do with D1 status.  How is the attendance at UCA's games? 

UCA is substantially larger than quite a few D1 universities already, but is there really enough support to build a stadium that can hold a lot more people?  15,000 per home game average (the current record at their stadium is a bit over 12,000).  They also will have to raise the level of more than just football to be considered.

I think they are already D-1 in most if not all other sports.

tahlahog

What is was wondering was if UCA competed against teams such as Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri, and could compete with them, would you gravitate towards a UCA.  Oh by the way i Know it would be a long shot that this could ever happen maybe even an impossibility. 

Smokehouse

even if UCA started moving that way, the Big12-2 is going to crumple before they could get there.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

1highhog

I thought the same thing, didn't they just finish up their stuff so that now they can compete and win their Conference Championship?  Maybe it was not Div.1, but they moved up to something.

Iwastherein1969

when one of these stumbles and sits on my face
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

LZH

I had to drive to LR today, and during the trip, in my ever-expanding-pointless-what-if mind, I thought about this very thing (not the Big12, but the Sun Belt).  If UCA were to jump up in classification to D1, I think they could compete quite well in the Sun Belt.  But....do they have the fan base to support such a transition?...(I think one of the D1 requirements is having a 30,000 seat stadium and a minimum attendance average of about 15,000).  Since UALR won't have a D1 football program anytime in the near future, I would love to see UCA make the leap...but I'm not sure they're ready support-wise.

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 24, 2010, 05:56:35 pm
when one of these stumbles and sits on my face

Especially the blonde on the right....the bigger the thighs, the bigger the fun.  I'm a musician....trust me.

1highhog

June 24, 2010, 06:14:37 pm #22 Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:25:37 pm by 1highhog
I think the average attendance at UCA football games is 10, 662 with a high being reached of 12,620.  The Bears moved up from NCAA Division II to Division I FCS with 2006 being their first season in Division 1.  Their attendance has rose steadliy since Coach Conque has been their Coach.

Hawghiggs

UCA should just stay in the FCS. They are in a great position to build an elite program at that level.

1highhog

June 24, 2010, 06:27:15 pm #24 Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:32:08 pm by 1highhog
Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 24, 2010, 06:25:17 pm
UCA should just stay in the FCS. They are in a great position to build an elite program at that level.

I agree, it's not like they can leave anytime soon anyway.  Since they have made the move they have been one of the best teams in that league.  Not only that but UCA is a good fit it seems for Razorback players to go once they see they are not going to get much playing time on the Hill, so that's another reason for me to pull for UCA.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: 1highhog on June 24, 2010, 06:27:15 pm
I agree, it's not like they can leave anytime soon anyway.  Since they have made the move they have been one of the best teams in that league.  Not only that but UCA is a good fit it seems for Razorback players to go once they see they are not going to get much playing time on the Hill, so that's another reason for me to pull for UCA.
Backend recruiting is a must for UCA to become an FCS power. I to follow them for that reason. Also, I just think that it would be great for the state to have a FCS championship calibur program. Maybe someday UofA,and UCA win national titles the same year.

Lakerhog

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

ucahogfan

I attend UCA and I can personally tell you that Coach Conque is building an elite program.  After moving to D-1 FCS competition in the Southland Conference, they had to have a four year period in which they could not participate in postseason play.  Next year will be the first year that any team can compete in the postseason.  They won the conference championship in 2008, but couldn't compete because of that four year period.  This year they went 5-7, but I believe the largest margain of defeat in any one game was 4 points to Hawaii off of a crazy pass that their quarterback competed.  I would also like to invite every Hogvillian to come down to Conway on a Saturday the Hogs are on the road and experience tailgating on Bruce Street and a football game in Estes Stadium.

1highhog

I would like to do that sometime.  I'm a Hog through and through but I like UCA and root for them to.

Choctaw Hog

The idiocy of some posts on here are beyond belief.  UCA has as much chance of getting into the Big 12 as does Fayetteville HS.

solix

If you had a choice between being the top scientist in your field and getting mad cow disease what would you pick?

Kicking Wing

UCA is in a world of hurt financially after Lu spent them into the poor house to increase enrollment and get to FCS status.  They derive far more of their revenue directly from student and university support than anyone in the state and with the scrutiny from state auditors and the FBI as well as the need to drastcially improve facilities to get to even thinking about FBS, it will be a while before UCA threatens to move up or make serious noise with the big boys. 

Their greatest asset is Conque's coaching and he has applied for several jobs the last two years because he knows the money isn't there for him or the program for a few years at  least.  He will keep football winning on his own but baseball and basketball have not faired well in the move up.

ucahogfan

I agree about Conque and really do not want to see him go.  I have a friend who is a running back on the team and he said Conque has also established a great group of assistant coaches who all get along really well.  I am also excited for basketball this year and see how Big Nasty does as the head man.  I really don't know what to think about baseball, but I think we are getting a new coach.

conwaycarl

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 24, 2010, 09:13:57 pm
UCA is in a world of hurt financially after Lu spent them into the poor house to increase enrollment and get to FCS status.  They derive far more of their revenue directly from student and university support than anyone in the state and with the scrutiny from state auditors and the FBI as well as the need to drastcially improve facilities to get to even thinking about FBS, it will be a while before UCA threatens to move up or make serious noise with the big boys. 

Their greatest asset is Conque's coaching and he has applied for several jobs the last two years because he knows the money isn't there for him or the program for a few years at  least.  He will keep football winning on his own but baseball and basketball have not faired well in the move up.
Except for the fact he just sighned a 6 year extension, now another school could buy that out but that isn't the actions of a coach looking for another job.

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 24, 2010, 09:19:23 pm
I really don't know what to think about baseball, but I think we are getting a new coach.

You just got a great baseball coach in Allen Gum from SAU.  He will build up the program, and have the team competing for conference championships in a few years.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

IronHog

UCA is in a good position to have a very nice D1-AA program.  The advantage with sticking there for a while is they can become a destination for SEC/Big 12 players looking to move down for whatever reason.

UCA will be the second best Arkansas program in 10 years even if they stay in D1-AA.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

nextlevel

Quote from: IronHog on June 24, 2010, 10:34:47 pm
UCA will be the second best Arkansas program in 10 years even if they stay in D1-AA.

They already are...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hawg Balling

Wow. Just...wow.

jpenrod1

Yes, There will be a split fan base. I think that ASU is on its way to splitting our fanbase, and if it was located within twenty min of Little Rock it probably would have already. Two years ago I met a group of Red Wolf fans. not fans who liked ASU but also cheered for AR, They hated AR and loved the red wolves.

I think it is dumb to think that there will never be a split. I just hope through off season traveling by the coaches, as well as games played in Little Rock, and Dallas will keep fans all over the state satisfied till our population is large enough to support two teams.

IronHog

Quote from: jpenrod1 on June 24, 2010, 10:48:14 pm
Yes, There will be a split fan base. I think that ASU is on its way to splitting our fanbase, and if it was located within twenty min of Little Rock it probably would have already. Two years ago I met a group of Red Wolf fans. not fans who liked ASU but also cheered for AR, They hated AR and loved the red wolves.

I think it is dumb to think that there will never be a split. I just hope through off season traveling by the coaches, as well as games played in Little Rock, and Dallas will keep fans all over the state satisfied till our population is large enough to support two teams.

ASU isn't going to split the fan base.  LSU, OM, or other SEC schools encroachment over the next 20 years is a much, much greater threat.

UCA can have a nice program and exist without competing directly with the HOGs.  ASU has chosen the path of ultimate failure.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Aeschere

do people on this forum just get bored and post absurd crap?

Sivad

Quote from: 1highhog on June 24, 2010, 04:16:46 pm
UCA has already began to SkyRocket, they have for several years. 
Everybody stand back!

RAF

Quote from: Sivad on June 24, 2010, 11:19:28 pm
Everybody stand back!
I laughed for a full 5 minutes when I saw this.  +1.

neeko501

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 24, 2010, 09:13:57 pm

wow someone read the tabloids....hey i hear a man/bat was discovered in colombia

losthawg68

For everyone griping about this thread, it has as much relevance as any that are asking for black jerseys, Gus luvin and a jump to the Texas cronies conference.  Give the Guy a break, he had a different idea for a thread, unlike 90% of the ones already here.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Kicking Wing

Quote from: neeko501 on June 24, 2010, 11:39:22 pm
wow someone read the tabloids....hey i hear a man/bat was discovered in colombia
You do know that every bit of that is true don't you?  Do you read the papers?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: IronHog on June 24, 2010, 10:34:47 pm
UCA is in a good position to have a very nice D1-AA program.  The advantage with sticking there for a while is they can become a destination for SEC/Big 12 players looking to move down for whatever reason.

This kind of nonsense reminds me of the "How long will the Hogs run" crap back in the 80s when ASU was playing for national titles in D1AA and UA was rebuilding and fans sounded EXACTLY like this.

D1AA success is fun, but even in the national championship years ASU didn't draw as many fans as they do now in D1.  There's a reason that Troy and WKU moved up when they were playing for titles in D1AA.

Hornkiller

I take it your job doesn't require random drug testing.....

Kicking Wing

Quote from: conwaycarl on June 24, 2010, 09:24:09 pm
Except for the fact he just sighned a 6 year extension, now another school could buy that out but that isn't the actions of a coach looking for another job.
Sure it is.  There's no reason not to secure the job you have while looking for another.  He tried to get the head coaching gig at Illinois St., La. Tech and a TE coaching position at LSU.  He's a great coach but he's not blind.  Lu and John Thompson did a lot of damage that the new President and AD are trying to work around.