Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lake Hamilton QB Butterfield Changes Commitment

Started by LMATH, December 15, 2008, 07:09:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LMATH

December 15, 2008, 07:09:56 pm Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:32:14 pm by philip.seaton
Lake Hamilton QB Phillip Butterfield has de-committed from Tulsa and committed to Arkansas State.

Butterfield who is a 6-foot-1, 205 pound Pro-Style quarterback with a 4.7 forty. He was named MVP of the Class 6A State Championship game last weekend, where he made plays on both sides of the ball, to include an interception in the end zone with 1:20 left in the game to seal the win for his team.

His Rivals page: http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=60494

bigt05

Not to bash the kid, but that seems like a really bad decision...Tulsa only has 2 qbs coming back(Jr/Sr) and Butterfield could beat both of them out and probably start from day 1...A-state on the other hand is getting thier butts handed to them by UCA in recruiting and is on the way down and has 6 qbs including the starter and 3 freshman coming back...

TrojanHog

There has to be a girl involved in this deal. 

songofthesword

ScotchHog

Maybe he believes that both Graham and Malzahn will be coaching elsewhere by the time he gets the starting job.  Seems like a possibility to me.
Always waiting

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

neahogfan180

"on the way down" - I believe they played for the conference championship.  Don't come at me with the score of that game, as I already know it and it does not prove your point.  That post is just an example of the narrowed minded people of the state.  We all should be excited that a talent like this stayed in state, instead of putting down the school he chose to go to.

Good luck young man, ASU is a great school and you stand every bit a chance as fulfilling your dreams rather it be in professional sports or in any other field at ASU as Tulsa.

And before some of you begin filling high and mighty, I am an ASU graduate but I can guarantee you I am as big of a Hog fan as you, so don't come at me with this ASU knowing there place garbage.  I support both Div 1 teams, UCA, UAPB, UAM, ATU, HSU, UALR, Lyons, John Brown, OBU and anyone else or college from this great state of mine.

neahogfan180

Also, please help me with the statement that ASU is getting their buts handed to them in recruiting by UCA.  I am not knowledgeable about either of their recruiting classes, but with Butterfields commit, ASU has one of the top 10 in state talents and UCA has none.  Also, ASU has a commit from 6 ft 7 320 lb OT that runs a 5.2 (not too shabby).

Please educate me bigt05, if you have any further knowledge.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 07:23:06 pm
Not to bash the kid, but that seems like a really bad decision...Tulsa only has 2 qbs coming back(Jr/Sr) and Butterfield could beat both of them out and probably start from day 1...A-state on the other hand is getting thier butts handed to them by UCA in recruiting and is on the way down and has 6 qbs including the starter and 3 freshman coming back...
That's ridiculous.  Butterfield can come in and learn a year and the job will be wide open at ASU.  All I have to say is welcome aboard!

As for UCA handing ASU anything in recruiting, that's just wrong..  Name me one single player that UCA has beat ASU on.  I can tell you right now that there are none.  Not to say that they don't have some kids that could play for ASU or another D1 school, but they don't beat them for kids... at all.  The one advantage UCA has is in transfers though.

Also, exactly who are the 6 QBs that are coming back at ASU?  They have a SR. starter in Leonard, two RS freshmen that have never taken a snap, a walkon SR. that has no snaps and another walkon that was out all year and has little chance of ever playing.

Basically, Butterfield will be at worst the 4th QB while he redshirts and he will have a great shot the next year.

WilsonHog

Congratulations to the young man. Students owe it to themselves to attend college where they will be happiest. If that happens to be the school you root for in athletics, great. If not, that's cool too.

donewithdale

Good choice by the kid. 

And I thought the commuter teachers college in Conway was going bankrupt and was being taken over by the Devry Institute.

bigt05

December 15, 2008, 08:16:07 pm #11 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:22:31 pm by bigt05
Butterfield is rated #9 and 15 according to Rivals.com, while 3 of the top 15-20 players in state are going to UCA along with Ashton Pennywell who is pretty much guaranteed to committ...I never said anything about ASU knowing their place and never tried to come off high and mighty, I said the best place for Butterfield a QB is Tulsa based on the offense run, coaching staff,and depth chart...ASU has hit the ceiling under the current staff and wont be a better program until you guys change things

Mcdonald-#12(at one point 10)
Patridge-#19
Stauch-#17(at one point 11)
3 of the top 4 lineman instate right now

If you can tell me that ASU and Tulsa are on the same level you are sadly mistaken and as a College football player(HSU) myself from most young ppl's point of view UCA has more potential than ASU...

cypert2

Swinging on the two and the four.

LJHOG

I find that odd.  But, whatever makes him happy is good by me.  Hope he is very successful.

bigt05

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 15, 2008, 07:59:40 pm
That's ridiculous.  Butterfield can come in and learn a year and the job will be wide open at ASU.  All I have to say is welcome aboard!

As for UCA handing ASU anything in recruiting, that's just wrong..  Name me one single player that UCA has beat ASU on.  I can tell you right now that there are none.  Not to say that they don't have some kids that could play for ASU or another D1 school, but they don't beat them for kids... at all.  The one advantage UCA has is in transfers though.

Also, exactly who are the 6 QBs that are coming back at ASU?  They have a SR. starter in Leonard, two RS freshmen that have never taken a snap, a walkon SR. that has no snaps and another walkon that was out all year and has little chance of ever playing.

Basically, Butterfield will be at worst the 4th QB while he redshirts and he will have a great shot the next year.

AState Roster:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/aap/roster

Tulsa Roster:
http://tulsa.rivals.com/croster.asp?Team=TULSA&Sort=3

Im sure you guys know more than i do about the ASU situation but comparing rosters It will be alot easier to start and break records for tulsa than Astate... And i am not biased toward ASU/UCA/Tulsa and backed everything i have stated up with facts(Im pretty sure its common knowledge of thier records and dont have to post those as well)...

Kicking Wing

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 08:16:07 pm
Butterfield is rated #9 and 15 according to Rivals.com, while 3 of the top 15-20 players in state are going to UCA along with Ashton Pennywell who is pretty much guaranteed to committ...I never said anything about ASU knowing their place and never tried to come off high and mighty, I said the best place for Butterfield a QB is Tulsa based on the offense run, coaching staff,and depth chart...ASU has hit the ceiling under the current staff and wont be a better program until you guys change things

Mcdonald-#12(at one point 10)
Patridge-#19
Stauch-#17(at one point 11)
3 of the top 4 lineman instate right now

If you can tell me that ASU and Tulsa are on the same level you are sadly mistaken and as a College football player(HSU) myself from most young ppl's point of view UCA has more potential than ASU...
You don't come off high and mighty by saying UCA outrecruits ASU you just come off as wrong.  You are obviously young and if you are at Henderson then UCA probably looks unbeatable.

Those players you mentioned are fine players, but not one has a D1 offer from ASU or anyone.  Ther aren't a lot of D1 players in Arkansas this year and you can bet that UA will get the ones they want, ASU will get the next group and CUA will get the ones after that.  I have been following recruiting a lot longer and closer than you I promise and that's just the way it is.  It doesn't mean coaches don't miss from time to time (look at Brown), but ASU is a lot closer to Tulsa than UCA is to ASU.  D1AA is great.  Heck, ASU was there for a long time and played for national titles, but D1 is a different animal completely and kids want to play at that level with and against the best.

I hope most young people have the sense to realize these things as most recruits do.

Saying this kid would have been smarter to go to Tulsa is like saying Joe Adams should have gone to USC.  It isn't that cut and dry.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 08:28:45 pm
AState Roster:

Tulsa Roster:

Im sure you guys know more than i do about the ASU situation but comparing rosters It will be alot easier to start and break records for tulsa than Astate... And i am not biased toward ASU/UCA/Tulsa and backed everything i have stated up with facts(Im pretty sure its common knowledge of thier records and dont have to post those as well)...
Again, why would Broderick Green transfer to UA?  Tulsa is better than ASU right now, but it wasn't long ago they lost to ASU in Jonesboro and it isn't always about just picking the team with the best record.  It's about playing at a D1 school where you fit in, you like the coaches and the school is right for you.

Don't get your tighties in a wad.  Butterfield has decide that he wants to go to ASU and that's great for him and ASU fans.

chiefsfan

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 08:28:45 pm
AState Roster:

Tulsa Roster:

are you comparing us to Tulsa or UCA here?   of course we are not Tulsa.   but we also have a ton more talent then UCA, and we fit Butterfield's style alot more then Tulsa does.   he basically ran the same offense in high school, that Arkansas State runs now.

He could set records at Tulsa, but if he does it, it may be looked at more as a reflection of the style of play rather then his talent.  at ASU, if he sets any records, it wont be because of the gimmick's that Malazhan likes to run

Comparing ASU to UCA is just idiotic.  UCA is 1AA and plays in one of the weakest 1AA conferences
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

and as a College football player(HSU) myself from most young ppl's point of view UCA has more potential than ASU...

UCA is looked at having potential in that area.  But Nationally...No way.   The fact you play for a team that lost to UCA this year means nothing, and doesnt prove anything

But UCA has to get themselves straight academically before they can do anything.  They gave out a whole bunch of scholarships that they couldnt under Lu Hardin,
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

bigt05

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 15, 2008, 08:38:37 pm
You don't come off high and mighty by saying UCA outrecruits ASU you just come off as wrong.  You are obviously young and if you are at Henderson then UCA probably looks unbeatable.

Those players you mentioned are fine players, but not one has a D1 offer from ASU or anyone.  Ther aren't a lot of D1 players in Arkansas this year and you can bet that UA will get the ones they want, ASU will get the next group and CUA will get the ones after that.  I have been following recruiting a lot longer and closer than you I promise and that's just the way it is.  It doesn't mean coaches don't miss from time to time (look at Brown), but ASU is a lot closer to Tulsa than UCA is to ASU.  D1AA is great.  Heck, ASU was there for a long time and played for national titles, but D1 is a different animal completely and kids want to play at that level with and against the best.

I hope most young people have the sense to realize these things as most recruits do.

Saying this kid would have been smarter to go to Tulsa is like saying Joe Adams should have gone to USC.  It isn't that cut and dry.

Once again you guys are letting your astate lovefest cloud your vision and stop you from reading my post, so please get out of your feelings and read where I clearly stated that the main reason i thought he should go to Tulsa is because of the depth chart and type of offense, Just as IMO when it comes down to it those were huge reasons BGreen and Joe Adams chose UA...I'm pretty sure highly recruited Student-Athletes would want a school that has been good the last 4-5 yrs over one that 15-20 yrs ago was good but is now is average...Can you honestly say that ASU with Roberts at the Helm has more potential than Tulsa or UCA???

Also please dont belittle me and my college choice, I had my chance to go to ASU and while it is a good school, like most ppl in my position I'd much rather take the full ride from Henderson and earn my way to a Graduate School Scholly from UA, than walk-on at Astate and be broke by the time i start Graduate school...some of us aren't fortunate enough to pay for ASU out of pocket...

bigt05

December 15, 2008, 09:14:25 pm #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:17:16 pm by bigt05
Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 09:08:35 pm
UCA is looked at having potential in that area.  But Nationally...No way.   The fact you play for a team that lost to UCA this year means nothing, and doesnt prove anything

But UCA has to get themselves straight academically before they can do anything.  They gave out a whole bunch of scholarships that they couldnt under Lu Hardin,

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 09:05:34 pm
are you comparing us to Tulsa or UCA here?   of course we are not Tulsa.   but we also have a ton more talent then UCA, and we fit Butterfield's style alot more then Tulsa does.   he basically ran the same offense in high school, that Arkansas State runs now.

He could set records at Tulsa, but if he does it, it may be looked at more as a reflection of the style of play rather then his talent.  at ASU, if he sets any records, it wont be because of the gimmick's that Malazhan likes to run

Comparing ASU to UCA is just idiotic.  UCA is 1AA and plays in one of the weakest 1AA conferences

Once again my original post was about Tulsa Vs. ASU all I said was that this yr UCA is beating ASU in recruiting THATS IT and also me playing against UCA has nothing to do with it, I was simply pointing out that I am a college football player so I understand some of the thought processes of a recruit...I promise you that if you asked the typical 17-23 year old would tell you that UCA has more potential and is on the Upswing while ASU is pretty much in a 6-6 neutral position...

chiefsfan

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 09:09:55 pm
Once again you guys are letting your astate lovefest cloud your vision and stop you from reading my post, so please get out of your feelings and read where I clearly stated that the main reason i thought he should go to Tulsa is because of the depth chart and type of offense, Just as IMO when it comes down to it those were huge reasons BGreen and Joe Adams chose UA...I'm pretty sure highly recruited Student-Athletes would want a school that has been good the last 4-5 yrs over one that 15-20 yrs ago was good but is now is average...Can you honestly say that ASU with Roberts at the Helm has more potential than Tulsa or UCA???

Actually ASU is a better Depth chart situation for him.   We have an oft injured starting QB who is a Senior this year, and do not have a compotent backup, despite having several on the roster

Also please dont belittle me and my college choice, I had my chance to go to ASU and while it is a good school, like most ppl in my position I'd much rather take the full ride from Henderson and earn my way to a Graduate School Scholly from UA, than walk-on at Astate and be broke by the time i start Graduate school...some of us aren't fortunate enough to pay for ASU out of pocket...

While im not belittling your college choice, I will continue to belittle your crappy football team if you continue to talk down about ASU

hawgfan80

It's just me but I'd pick Tulsa over ASU....every time.

bigt05

December 15, 2008, 09:40:54 pm #23 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:43:19 pm by bigt05
Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 09:18:56 pm
Actually ASU is a better Depth chart situation for him.   We have an oft injured starting QB who is a Senior this year, and do not have a compotent backup, despite having several on the roster

While im not belittling your college choice, I will continue to belittle your crappy football team if you continue to talk down about ASU

Am I talking to a brick wall???Once again Ive already that you probably know more about the ASU QB situation but from an outside person's perspective dont you think itll be easier to start over 2 others than 6+ incumbent starter?

Have you ever even played football past your popwarner glory days???

HSU sucks...hmm we have a 20-11 record since ive been on campus while ASU is 17-19 during the same stretch...ASU hasn't had a winning season since 1995 even during their lone bowl season they were 6-6 and lost the bowl game...just sayin tho lol, more facts while you speak with emotions...

chiefsfan

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 09:40:54 pm
Am I talking to a brick wall???Once again Ive already that you probably know more about the ASU QB situation but from an outside person's perspective dont you think itll be easier to start over 2 others than 6+ incumbent starter?

HSU sucks...hmm we have a 20-11 record since ive been on campus while ASU is 17-19 during the same stretch...ASU hasn't had a winning season since 1995 even during their lone bowl season they were 6-6 and lost the bowl game...just sayin tho lol, more facts while you speak with emotions...

You're comparing Henderson State to Arkansas State, and you think you are talking to a brick wall

You do not know for a fact what the average 17-23 year old thinks about ASU or UCA.   the average 17-23 year old doesnt give a crap about either school I imagine, and would hope they could earn their time at a better school.   I do not know of 1 athlete who turned down an offer to Arkansas State to go play for UCA.   That is what matters more in the end.   

chiefsfan

Quote from: hawgfan80 on December 15, 2008, 09:31:42 pm
It's just me but I'd pick Tulsa over ASU....every time.

Would you if ASU guaranteed you starting time, and Tulsa promised you nothing other then you would sit on the bench for 2 years and then be given a chance to compete against all other QB's they bring in, and thats only if they dont find a better QB to take your spot

Butterfield is pretty much guaranteed the starting job here after Leonard graduates after this season, and he might get significant playing time this year, since Leonard is so injury prone

Kicking Wing

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 09:40:54 pm

Hey, Junior, please read his posts and mine.  You sound like the people in the 80s that were saying ASU was a better program than UA.  Anyone that has a lick of sense knows the difference between D1 and D1AA. 

You are the one "speaking with emotions" as you try to convinse yourself that being a good D1AA program is equivalent to being a D1 program.  App. St. beat Michigan and won two national titles in a row.  Do you think they can get players that Michigan or UA wants?  No. Do you think that "the young people" think App. State is on the "upswing" and a better choice than Michigan or even Miss. State for that matter.

Also, PLEASE list these fantastic six prospects at QB that ASU has for me.  I know the roster forwards and backwards and I've already explained to you that it will be a SR. and 2 RS FR joining Butterfield next year.

While we are at it, do you think HSU could hang with Shiloh Christian?  Shiloh has a much better record and all the young dudes think they are really swell.

Geez.

bigt05

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 15, 2008, 09:52:15 pm
Hey, Junior, please read his posts and mine.  You sound like the people in the 80s that were saying ASU was a better program than UA.  Anyone that has a lick of sense knows the difference between D1 and D1AA. 

You are the one "speaking with emotions" as you try to convinse yourself that being a good D1AA program is equivalent to being a D1 program.  App. St. beat Michigan and won two national titles in a row.  Do you think they can get players that Michigan or UA wants?  No. Do you think that "the young people" think App. State is on the "upswing" and a better choice than Michigan or even Miss. State for that matter.

Also, PLEASE list these fantastic six prospects at QB that ASU has for me.  I know the roster forwards and backwards and I've already explained to you that it will be a SR. and 2 RS FR joining Butterfield next year.

While we are at it, do you think HSU could hang with Shiloh Christian?  Shiloh has a much better record and all the young dudes think they are really swell.

Geez.
Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 09:47:38 pm
You're comparing Henderson State to Arkansas State, and you think you are talking to a brick wall

You do not know for a fact what the average 17-23 year old thinks about ASU or UCA.   the average 17-23 year old doesnt give a crap about either school I imagine, and would hope they could earn their time at a better school.   I do not know of 1 athlete who turned down an offer to Arkansas State to go play for UCA.   That is what matters more in the end.   

You do realize that the average 17 year old football player coming out of high school is going to play Non-BCS football requiring them to care about lower schools...There isnt a that big of difference between Lower D-1 and a Top 5 D1AA...

I was never comparing them of course Asu is going to be better than HSU, simply pointing out both team records of since you believe that HSU sucks, but if you guys are going to bash the team I actually PLAY for then prepare for the facts that follow...

My whole Arguement was that I THOUGHT Tulsa was a better place for him...THATS IT and I actually like ASU...

Yes Im speaking with emotions while you are sitting there calling names...

SEdrhawg

There is more that goes into the college choice than just football.  It would seem like his original commitment to Tulsa was based largely on Gus Malzahn being at Tulsa.  Now realistically, what are the odds that Gus is there 4 years from now (next to zero).  Where would he be if he went to Tulsa and Gus left next year and the new offensive coordinator put in a wishbone (similar to Mallet's situation).  Also, Tulsa's enrollment is around 4,000 and ASU is around 11,000.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Maybe he has family in Jonesboro???  Maybe a girl is involved???  He has a 24 on the ACT (according to rivals), so maybe its academically motivated.

I'm not an ASU alum and so I really don't have a dog in this fight, but to say that UCA beats ASU in recruiting you would have to have a player with offers from both schools that chooses UCA over ASU.  To my knowledge none of the players UCA has commits from this year have offers from ASU.  This argument is wrong. 

bigt05

The arguement wasnt about recruiting was mvho that he was a better fit at Tulsa based on most of the obvius aspects student-athletes choose a college, i didnt bring any of the other variables up just because its much easier to look at the depth chart and on the field results...

I have seen UCA's name tossed around alot more than ASU's name concerning Arkansas recruits...Like i said early its a fact that UCA had started out better than ASU with 3 of the top 15-20 players already committed with a 4th expected to commit soon compared to ASU's none until the Butterfield commit...

hawgfan80

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 09:49:36 pm
Would you if ASU guaranteed you starting time, and Tulsa promised you nothing other then you would sit on the bench for 2 years and then be given a chance to compete against all other QB's they bring in, and thats only if they dont find a better QB to take your spot

Butterfield is pretty much guaranteed the starting job here after Leonard graduates after this season, and he might get significant playing time this year, since Leonard is so injury prone

Here's the deal....I like Tulsa better. Just me. The odds of the coaches of both schools being there through the next 4 years is pretty slim. So, in that case, I pick the school I like better, the teammates, and the opportunity to win. I think Tulsa affords that. I realize Butterfield may be "guaranteed the starting job." Maybe he likes that opportunity and that's fine. My opinion is that neither coach will be there so nothing is "guaranteed." So, I pick Tulsa. Every time.

WilsonHog

December 15, 2008, 11:15:23 pm #31 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:48:48 am by WilsonHog
Can I add my .02 to this argument?

The only person who can intelligently comment on what is right for Butterfield is that young man. It doesn't have to make sense to you, me, or anyone else.

Let me use a personal example to illustrate. Three years ago my son had a full ride to go to UCA on an academic scholarship. He turned it down to attend the University of Arkansas on a quarter scholarship, which means he'll walk away owing probably $50,000 in student loans. That's fine...because that is where he wanted to go to school. My daughter is about to do the same thing next fall.

They're following in my footsteps - I did the exact same thing when I was their age. I turned down scholarship money and took out student loans to go to UA because the campus felt like home to me. And still does.

Did my folks understand it? Nope, but they didn't have to. They weren't the one going to college - I was.       

It's a highly personal choice, or at least it should be. That's why I never - never- question where a young man chooses to attend college.

yraciv

Quote from: hawgfan80 on December 15, 2008, 11:05:29 pm
Here's the deal....I like Tulsa better. Just me. The odds of the coaches of both schools being there through the next 4 years is pretty slim. So, in that case, I pick the school I like better, the teammates, and the opportunity to win. I think Tulsa affords that. I realize Butterfield may be "guaranteed the starting job." Maybe he likes that opportunity and that's fine. My opinion is that neither coach will be there so nothing is "guaranteed." So, I pick Tulsa. Every time.

Why I'd choose Tulsa!  Am I missing something?
Tulsa > Jonesboro
TU football>Arkansas State football
#2 offense in nation>#36
TU academics are very good
QB situation...

WilsonHog

Quote from: yraciv on December 15, 2008, 11:24:23 pm
Why I'd choose Tulsa!  Am I missing something?
Tulsa > Jonesboro
TU football>Arkansas State football
#2 offense in nation>#36
TU academics are very good
QB situation...

You could be missing quite a few things, because in effect you're making the decision in a vacuum. Have you visited both campuses? Spent time with both coaches and their staffs? Talked to professors to check on your major? Bonded with some of the current players or recruits? Experienced any of the local scene?

Literally dozens of variables go into the decision, which may come down to nothing more than "I like it there."

yraciv

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 15, 2008, 11:30:15 pm
You could be missing quite a few things, because in effect you're making the decision in a vacuum. Have you visited both campuses? Spent time with both coaches and their staffs? Talked to professors to check on your major? Bonded with some of the current players or recruits? Experienced any of the local scene?

Literally dozens of variables go into the decision, which may come down to nothing more than "I like it there."

I have not, but I highly doubt ASU has anything to offer academically over them.  They definately wouldn't have them on job placement, but maybe that isn't a selling point for him.  I know Malzahn is a great guy to work with.  I also know that there isn't anything that could make Jonesboro look nicer to me.  Steve Roberts must be one hell of a nice guy, offered me a starting job, guaranteed a really hot tutor, let me have my own room, and "shown me the money" for me to go there...but thats just me!  I don't know what Butterfield sees, but you are right it's his decision.  I do tend to root for Arkansas State and wish Butterfield well, just very confused by this decision. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: bigt05 on December 15, 2008, 11:01:28 pm
The arguement wasnt about recruiting was mvho that he was a better fit at Tulsa based on most of the obvius aspects student-athletes choose a college, i didnt bring any of the other variables up just because its much easier to look at the depth chart and on the field results...

I have seen UCA's name tossed around alot more than ASU's name concerning Arkansas recruits...Like i said early its a fact that UCA had started out better than ASU with 3 of the top 15-20 players already committed with a 4th expected to commit soon compared to ASU's none until the Butterfield commit...

again how many of the states top 15-20 players have offers from ASU

Why would ASU offer the 15th best player in Arkansas when we could go and get the 25th best player in a state with alot more talent?

footballer

December 16, 2008, 03:06:30 am #36 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:12:29 am by footballer
nm

RxRazorback

as a College football player(HSU) myself from most young ppl's point of view UCA has more potential than ASU...

I'm a sophomore at ASU, but I follow the party scene more than I do Redwolves' sports. Even so, I can say that the consensus opinion among people my age is not that UCA has more potential than ASU. I've got friends at colleges all around the state and they all agree that the UofA has the dominant program in the state with ASU being a distant second and UCA even farther behind them.

And for those saying that UCA has more to offer than ASU, I've spent considerable time at both schools and definitely think that there is more to do in Jonesboro for a college student.
W88 Pig S88ie!

bigt05

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 11:49:44 pm

Why would ASU offer the 15th best player in Arkansas when we could go and get the 25th best player in a state with alot more talent?

lol Sounds alot like Hootie's style of recruiting, since when has Astate been able to turn down multiple top20 players from any state let alone its own recruiting pipeline state???(and that top 25 player from another state isnt even ranked in the top 30 of his state)

http://arkansasstate.scout.com/a.z?s=334&p=8&c=1&nid=3757241
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2215&Year=2009

Quote from: stAte_Sig423 on December 16, 2008, 03:14:48 am

I'm a sophomore at ASU, but I follow the party scene more than I do Redwolves' sports. Even so, I can say that the consensus opinion among people my age is not that UCA has more potential than ASU. I've got friends at colleges all around the state and they all agree that the UofA has the dominant program in the state with ASU being a distant second and UCA even farther behind them.

And for those saying that UCA has more to offer than ASU, I've spent considerable time at both schools and definitely think that there is more to do in Jonesboro for a college student.

I have a 2 sis at Astate and 2 brothers attending and 5 former teammates playing at UCA, not to mention alot of friends at both so ive been to both campus alot ...You obviously attend ASU so you have been to way more parties there than i (i have been to like 3 with my fellow frat bros) but on a Friday night I would much rather be in Conway than Jonesboro...

SEdrhawg

QuoteI have a 2 sis at Astate and 2 brothers attending and 5 former teammates playing at UCA, not to mention alot of friends at both so ive been to both campus alot ...You obviously attend ASU so you have been to way more parties there than i (i have been to like 3 with my fellow frat bros) but on a Friday night I would much rather be in Conway than Jonesboro...

I went to college in Conway (at Hendrix, not UCA) and my brother went to ASU, so I have experienced both scenes as well.  The only reason you would rather be in Conway than Jonesboro on a friday night is if you want to be asleep by 8:30.  Conway's social scene pretty much sucks.  I think they finally got permits to serve drinks in restaurants right about the time I graduated.  The parties at ASU are also a lot better.  Jonesboro is not much different, but it is better than Conway.

LongTimeReader

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 16, 2008, 08:17:06 am
I went to college in Conway (at Hendrix, not UCA) and my brother went to ASU, so I have experienced both scenes as well.  The only reason you would rather be in Conway than Jonesboro on a friday night is if you want to be asleep by 8:30.  Conway's social scene pretty much sucks.  I think they finally got permits to serve drinks in restaurants right about the time I graduated.  The parties at ASU are also a lot better.  Jonesboro is not much different, but it is better than Conway.

If you went to Hendrix, and couldn't find the parties...

That's your problem, not Conway's.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 15, 2008, 11:49:44 pm

Just drop it.  This guy doesn't get it at all.  He crawfishes like crazy.

Don't know why people feel the urge to do this comparison thing when this thread had NOTHING to do with that.  BCS, Mid-major, D1AA... there is a definite pecking order there no matter how anyone tries to deny it.

Wilsonhog has it right about being a complex, personal choice.  TO reiterate, why would a kid turn down a shot at a top 5 program in sunny California to go to Arkansas?  That seems more far fetched to me than someone not wanting to go to Tulsa, OK.  They go to UA over schools like USC or Texas because it fits THEM better.

SEdrhawg

QuoteIf you went to Hendrix, and couldn't find the parties...

That's your problem, not Conway's.

Read more, post less....

I said that I have partied in both Conway and Jonesboro and that Conway's social scene sucks (that includes the UCA, Hendrix, and CBC social scene as well as other aspects).

LongTimeReader

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 16, 2008, 09:09:49 am
Read more, post less....

I said that I have partied in both Conway and Jonesboro and that Conway's social scene sucks (that includes the UCA, Hendrix, and CBC social scene as well as other aspects).

Ah, yes, the old RMPL from someone that's been a member all of 5 days.  Spectacular.

Your quote was this:  "The only reason you would rather be in Conway than Jonesboro on a friday night is if you want to be asleep by 8:30.  Conway's social scene pretty much sucks."

To which I again reply - if you went to Hendrix and were asleep by 8:30 on a Friday or had no "social scene," you have no one to blame but yourself.

respirback

I'm glad Butterfield is staying in state.  I hate Tulsa.

WilsonHog

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 16, 2008, 09:09:49 am
Read more, post less....

Read more, post less?

Hell's bells, we've got 25,696 members and about 25,000 of 'em need to "read more post less."

Including you.   

hogdiggity

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 16, 2008, 08:17:06 am

you know what they say about Hendrix, it is "where the girls are girls and the guys are too!"  LOL

Kicking Wing

SEdrhawg

Quoteyou know what they say about Hendrix, it is "where the girls are girls and the guys are too!"  LOL

Thats funny, I've heard that before and for some instances its true... but in two years I will graduate with a double doctrate and make more in a month than most people make in a year, so you can pretty much kiss my a** on that one.

Call us whatever you want, just put Dr. in front of it  ;)

hogdiggity

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 16, 2008, 12:49:23 pm
Thats funny, I've heard that before and for some instances its true... but in two years I will graduate with a double doctrate and make more in a month than most people make in a year, so you can pretty much kiss my a** on that one.

Call us whatever you want, just put Dr. in front of it  ;)

what does salary have to do with what gender you prefer to date?  Hendrix is a very good academic school, that is for sure.