Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

asu-j turned down bowl bid

Started by LoseAnutt, December 07, 2008, 07:25:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelliousHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:13:16 pm
Yes and No.   There are a bunch of D1 teams that actually lose money going to a bowl.  ASU is one of them.   That doesnt mean that you dont want to go though

We're mythed.   Most of the fans here would admit, we probably didnt deserve a bid.  But not one of us dared even suggest we should turn an invite down

Mythed? You've made yourselves into a mythological character now? How does one do this?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hawgfan80

I don't think there is any way Tommy Tuberville goes to Ark St. If he wanted another head job, he could go alot of places...and most of those are better than ASU.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Does the Motor City Bowl get a Government bailout?
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Burt B.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hawgfan80 on December 07, 2008, 11:14:14 pm
I don't think there is any way Tommy Tuberville goes to Ark St. If he wanted another head job, he could go alot of places...and most of those are better than ASU.
"TT to ASU"...........what a laugher.

razor-trac

December 08, 2008, 01:19:46 am #55 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:25:42 am by razor-trac
Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:49:35 pm
The Independence Bowl and the Sun Belt conference are most likely not on speaking terms anymore.  We contracted with them to take a Sun Belt school if the SEC or Big 12 couldnt fill its spots there.   Neither conference did.   Problem is that the I Bowl committee selected Louisiana Tech for one spot, and the Tech administration essentially threatened to not go there if they took a Sun Belt school as an opponent

Papa Johns had the same deal, but the contract didnt require a 6 win team to be taken.  they got to choose before the I Bowl for 6 win teams and chose NC State instead.   When the I Bowl selection came around, it was either the Sun Belt or Northern Illinois.   They took NIU.  Which is slightly ridiculous when you think about what either Arkansas State or Louisiana Lafayette would have brought to Shreveport

Motor City basically had last pick, and had to choose between San Jose State or the 3 Sun belt Schools.   They called and asked if we were interested, and were told no

Who GUARANTEES the most money? Pay to play or stay home if you don't have the infrastructure to care.
"We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." BH Obama at inauguration

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. " BH Obama a couple weeks later

That's what I call change.

asuato

Longshot to get TT for sure....but not a laugher. Remember that he was an assistant under Lacewell in '83 and '84 at ASU  and Auburn owes him six million, so he could possibly come to ASU pretty cheap and all ASU would be on the hook for is assistant salaries. TT was actually a candidate for the ASU job when Ray Perkins resigned but we couldnt afford what he wanted then...plus the fact we had just moved up from 1-AA so it was gonna be a monster program building process.

farhan

Wow is tubberville comes to astate, the fense that petrino built just got a FRICK LOAD of holes in it

SteveInArk

Quote from: asuato on December 08, 2008, 01:58:52 am
Longshot to get TT for sure....but not a laugher. Remember that he was an assistant under Lacewell in '83 and '84 at ASU  and Auburn owes him six million, so he could possibly come to ASU pretty cheap and all ASU would be on the hook for is assistant salaries. TT was actually a candidate for the ASU job when Ray Perkins resigned but we couldnt afford what he wanted then...plus the fact we had just moved up from 1-AA so it was gonna be a monster program building process.

I'm from Jonesboro. I like ASU. ... but the chance that TT would come back there IS a "laugher".  Seriously, state will obviously grow and get better.  But TT would probably retire from coaching before dropping to anything but a top-tier D I team and that is by not means a slam at ASU.  I personally think he chose to leave Auburn as much as they may have forced him out.  His career doen't have time to drop from the top tier, nor does he need to with his reputation.

As for the real thread topic.  For ASU to turn down a bowl, in this age, is a poor decision.  The money spent could never make up for the press and exposure the school and the program receives from it.  If you don't advertise the product, it is a tougher sell.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

HoopS

The Boar War

If ASU cannot afford to run a football program, the right way, it's time to shut it down.  The fact that they turn down a bowl tells it's fans at least five negative things: 1)  We don't honor what this teams done.; 2) We know our fans won't travel to support the team.; 3) We are satisfied with having a record that is below bowl eligibility.  If they expected to have a team that could go to a bowl wouldn't they have budgeted the expenses? 4) We don't care about national exposure and recruiting.; and 5) We don't care about the extra practices we could get with a bowl appearance.

I don't like ASU but I can't help but feel sorry for players who have worked their butts off only to have the administration say "thanks but no thanks".  A program that doesn't reward it's team for doing well, doesn't have a reliable fan base, doesn't plan for success, doesn't care about recruiting and good publicity, and doesn't care about making itself better is going to fail.   

SteveInArk

Quote from: HoopS on December 08, 2008, 06:44:57 am
What happened to Roberts?

Nothing.  Just the A-State crowd may be getting restless, per other postings and some message boards.  Who knows?

The subject of an out of work TT came up as a natural progression from that.

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

razobak

http://jonesborosun.com/story.php?ID=35988

Quoting AD Dean Lee:  the Red Wolves "were not extended an invitation to any bowl."
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: The Boar War on December 08, 2008, 06:57:33 am
If ASU cannot afford to run a football program, the right way, it's time to shut it down. 

They have made giant leaps in the past decade. Give them time. Good things are ahead.

I was on their campus this summer and did some running in their stadium and I was thoroughly impressed--except for the mosquitoes (I couldn't tell the mosquitoes from the crop dusters).

respirback

Why would AState want to get rid of Steve Roberts?  I think he's done pretty good there all things considered.

Ash

Quote from: razobak on December 08, 2008, 07:57:21 am
http://jonesborosun.com/story.php?ID=35988

Quoting AD Dean Lee:  the Red Wolves “were not extended an invitation to any bowl.”

And according to the AD at Auburn TT was begged to stay. What an AD says and what the truth is isn't always the same thing. That said he would have to be nuts to turn down a bowl bid if one was received.

DeltaBoy

December 08, 2008, 09:09:08 am #67 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:15:05 am by DeltaBoy
ASU got no bowl bid and Roberts not going anywhere so move along folks there is nothing to see here.  ;)
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 08, 2008, 07:59:26 am
I was on their campus this summer and did some running in their stadium and I was thoroughly impressed--except for the mosquitoes (I couldn't tell the mosquitoes from the crop dusters).

The crop dusters are a little smaller...
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

MountieDawg

THEY DID NOT TURN NOW A BOWL>>>>  READ THE ARTICLE THEY DID EVERYTHING THEY COULD TO MARKET THEMSELVES FOR A BOWL BID!!!  I pull for both Red Wolves and Razorbacks...  It seems that it would be good for the two teams to play a game every year for a rivalry since there is so much hate from Hog Fans to the Red Wolves!

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=494763
SEC!

football17

How in the hell is this thread not in the trash...

ASU was not offered a bowl and Roberts is still the coach.

What idiots.

josh_sec33

No football team should turn down a bowl.

basketball teams turning down NIT bids I can understand....not bowl games.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: IndyHog76 on December 07, 2008, 07:27:35 pm
They didn't want to play Central Michigan?

Hammer meet nail.  Central Michigan would destroy them.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 08, 2008, 09:09:08 am
ASU got no bowl bid and Roberts not going anywhere so move along folks there is nothing to see here.  ;)

Sounds like you are talking about an ASU-J football game.

HogTuba

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 08, 2008, 07:59:26 am
They have made giant leaps in the past decade. Give them time. Good things are ahead.

Crop dusters don't hunt you down in the early morning.  Jonesboro mosquitoes wait outside the door for you.

That's how I told the difference, anyway.
S-A-S-N-A-K--RA

claycohog

Music City Bowl contacted ASU and was told thanks but no thanks because ASU thought they would get to go to Shreveport if they lost against Troy.  As we now see ASU is staying in Jonesboro for the holidays.  It is sad for the players that athletic dept. dropped the ball once again.

psooie

The red wolves must have rabies if they think TT is gonna coach for them...now if they want a big name, maybe some former bama coaches, there are so many...mike dubose, Fran, shula, etc might want the job since they aren't doing much or maybe they should hire croom if they make a change.

claycohog

The Boar War

Quote from: football17 on December 08, 2008, 10:02:39 am

What idiots.

Then how did the fourth place Florida Atlantic jump the third place ASU?  If the bowl was in Tampa I might understand how a bowl committee could make a judgement call.  But the Motor City Bowl is in Detroit.

The Boar War

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 08, 2008, 09:45:32 am
I pull for both Red Wolves and Razorbacks...  It seems that it would be good for the two teams to play a game every year for a rivalry since there is so much hate from Hog Fans to the Red Wolves!

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=494763

How could you pull for both teams and still have a true rivalry?  Also if we were to play at a neutral stadium could the ASU athletic department afford to send the Red Wolves down to Little Rock?

MacHog19

The only way Tuberville ends up in Jonesboro is if he takes a wrong turn off I-40 on his way to Stuttgart to duck hunt.

Sorry ASU, you're not getting Tubs.  Maybe Ray Perkins is available again....

phadedhawg

I would love to see ASU get a big name coach and start to make a name for themselves...

Prolly won't happen in my lifetime but I support them against anybody but the Hogs!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: football17 on December 08, 2008, 10:02:39 am

What idiots.

Sort of.   Lee is using AD speak

We were not officiall offered a bid.  But the Motor City Bowl did call and ask if we were interested and were quickly told "no"     Motor City did not officially offer a bid, because it would look horrible for them in a Sun Belt team turned them down.    it also saves us from having to admit we told them no

As for Roberts, he's not going anywhere never was.  No one ever said he was.   There is a rumor that he will be forced to fire a couple assistants though, and there is a rumor that Lee may be released as AD
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: psooie on December 08, 2008, 12:03:31 pm
The red wolves must have rabies if they think TT is gonna coach for them...now if they want a big name, maybe some former bama coaches, there are so many...mike dubose, Fran, shula, etc might want the job since they aren't doing much or maybe they should hire croom if they make a change.

We dont have an opening.  But there is speculation because Tubberville coached at ASU as an assistant, and has done everything he can to help our program out as well.   Sort of like Brady, he no longer has anything to prove, and doesnt need the money
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

claycohog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 08, 2008, 03:53:21 pm
Sort of.   Lee is using AD speak

We were not officiall offered a bid.  But the Motor City Bowl did call and ask if we were interested and were quickly told "no"     Motor City did not officially offer a bid, because it would look horrible for them in a Sun Belt team turned them down.    it also saves us from having to admit we told them no

As for Roberts, he's not going anywhere never was.  No one ever said he was.   There is a rumor that he will be forced to fire a couple assistants though, and there is a rumor that Lee may be released as AD
I can't imagine burning a bridge like that and when everything else fell thru not having an option of going to a bowl.  Not having the funds to travel to Michigan is the only answer that seems to make sense in this situation.

No matter what the case is I NEVER want to hear these rinky dink ASU fans try to compare themselves to the hogs again after this little episode.  Trust me, you would have to live in NEA to understand my hatred for their small time fanbase.  I feel sorry for the kids on the team, as for everyone else involved, F'em.

chiefsfan

Quote from: claycohog on December 08, 2008, 04:23:19 pm
I can't imagine burning a bridge like that and when everything else fell thru not having an option of going to a bowl.  Not having the funds to travel to Michigan is the only answer that seems to make sense in this situation.

No matter what the case is I NEVER want to hear these rinky dink ASU fans try to compare themselves to the hogs again after this little episode.  Trust me, you would have to live in NEA to understand my hatred for their small time fanbase.  I feel sorry for the kids on the team, as for everyone else involved, F'em.

Isnt this the same board that has openly suggested Arkansas should turn down independence bowl bids because they didnt deserve it?

In the minds of ASU fans, we are upset that a bid was turned down, but we didnt deserve a bowl at 6-6 anyway.   No 6-6 SunBelt team deserves one

claycohog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 08, 2008, 04:32:15 pm
Isnt this the same board that has openly suggested Arkansas should turn down independence bowl bids because they didnt deserve it?

In the minds of ASU fans, we are upset that a bid was turned down, but we didnt deserve a bowl at 6-6 anyway.   No 6-6 SunBelt team deserves one
Bullcrap.  You play in a bowl game no matter what the fanbase thinks because it is a huge opportunity for your team to get better with another month of practice.

I like and respect you as a poster, chiefsfan, but I am not buying what you're trying to sell today.  If bowl committees were beating down ASU's door year in and year out, maybe.  We both know that is not the case.

Sivad

December 08, 2008, 05:00:51 pm #87 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:02:58 pm by Sivad
"Tommy Tuberville to Arky State."
Just in case you had ANY doubt of just how delusional those cats over there are.

chiefsfan

So Ole Miss called us this week about playing us  a home and home with our "home"  game in Little Rock.    Well thats the rumor at least

While nothing would thrill me more then to beat Houston Nutt into the ground, and then dance on top of him wearing tap shoes.   I dont like that idea

I just thought everyone here needed a constant update on all things ASU  ;D   Seeing as how we are so popular over here

claycohog

Why don't you like the idea?  Seems ASU continues to waste opportunities that will allow them to boost their program up to where the fans think it should be.  You don't turn into a BIGTIME program without having to earn it.  I think the problem lies right there, you guys want a free handout. 

Kicking Wing

There is no credible evidence that ASU turned down a bowl game, only messageboard "insiders" of whom several are not trustworthy from my experience.

The Independence Bowl mad a stupid decision to satisfy La. Tech and now they have a No. Illinois team that went 6-6 and had one non-conference win over a D1AA team.  They also won't bring 1500 fans.  The Indy Bowl just signed its own death warrant.  It's the worst matchup in the bowls.

ASU had a shot at the Motor City but FAu was chosen, likely because of the larger TV market and Schnellenberger being a known commodity.  They also won 5 of there last 6 (the lone loss against ASU) so they were the hotter team.

Gotta love messageboards.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Sivad on December 08, 2008, 05:00:51 pm
"Tommy Tuberville to Arky State."
Just in case you had ANY doubt of just how delusional those cats over there are.
Not any less credible than believing Nutt is going to take Arkansas to a national title... or Petrino for that matter.  Who thought a coach less than two years removed from a final four would be at ASU?  Brady has already signed enough players with one or two to go to earn a top 20 mid-major recruiting ranking.  He also has a four star transfer with 3 years to play on campus to add to that class.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 09, 2008, 10:50:14 am
Not any less credible than believing Nutt is going to take Arkansas to a national title... or Petrino for that matter.

I know it hurts you, but we're in the conference and have access to the exposure to make it a reality with the proper preparation.

No Sun Belt team, or any other lower tier mid-major will ever get a crack at that opportunity.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

claycohog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 09, 2008, 10:47:05 am
There is no credible evidence that ASU turned down a bowl game, only messageboard "insiders" of whom several are not trustworthy from my experience.

The Independence Bowl mad a stupid decision to satisfy La. Tech and now they have a No. Illinois team that went 6-6 and had one non-conference win over a D1AA team.  They also won't bring 1500 fans.  The Indy Bowl just signed its own death warrant.  It's the worst matchup in the bowls.

ASU had a shot at the Motor City but FAu was chosen, likely because of the larger TV market and Schnellenberger being a known commodity.  They also won 5 of there last 6 (the lone loss against ASU) so they were the hotter team.

Gotta love messageboards.
Believe what you want.  Motor City Bowl did contact ASU and was quickly told not interested.  Reason being is that ASU couldn't afford the trip to Michigan.

I remember several years ago FB admitted that the hogs lost money by going to Las Vegas for a bowl, but felt it was imperative to go for the future of the program.

The part that sickens me the most is having to read an article in The Jonesboro Sun on Monday about how ASU was left out and how they left no stone unturned and put themselves in position to go to a bowl yet was shunned.  That my friend is a complete lie.

CREDIBLE SOURCE

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: claycohog on December 09, 2008, 11:44:55 am
ASU couldn't afford the trip to Michigan.

I remember several years ago FB admitted that the hogs lost money by going to Las Vegas for a bowl, but felt it was imperative to go for the future of the program.

JFB was right.  Most of the teams playing in the Hawaii bowl games lose money as well.  Bottom line is, where do you want your program to go?

For those ASWho trolls (who want for free a share of what the Hogs have earned by hard work through the years), don't pretend your program is on the rise by itself.  If ASU-J can't afford to go to a bowl game, you are a long, long way from big time.  I bet UCA would have accepted that bid in a heartbeat - but then they have visions of their program going someplace in the future.

hawgfan_18

asu didn't turn down a bowl bid, they were told it was pretty much a done deal, Coach Roberts was getting ready to get the players together to tell them of the invite but were told at the last minute that FAU got the invitation instead of them.  they were going to go, they just got left out.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

While not trying to justify turning down a bid nor trying to make excuses for ASU, I'm surprised we've not heard more about programs being in the lurch financially.

Things are tough all over, so why would college football be any different from what's happening around the country?  Sure, most of the big time programs have a better support structure, but there are A LOT of people who simply don't have as much money as they did this time last year, and that includes the Tyson's, Hunt's, and Walton's.  At some point, Daddy Warbucks doesn't have as much money to give away as he used to, and who do you think will be the losers when that shakes out?

Athletic Director's have to be smart running their programs, and I suspect Lee's decision (if that's what it was) was what he thought was best for ASU athletics as a whole.  I'm sure he did everything he could to make it look like ASU never received a bid, which would look better publically than having to say we can't go because we don't have the money.  Unfortunately, in this day and age, things are going to come out, and it sounds as if ASU is struggling financially - just like a lot of businesses are.

Even more unfortunate for Lee is the fact that those money woes just may cost him his job.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

porcine1

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 09, 2008, 10:50:14 am
Not any less credible than believing Nutt is going to take Arkansas to a national title... or Petrino for that matter.  Who thought a coach less than two years removed from a final four would be at ASU?  Brady has already signed enough players with one or two to go to earn a top 20 mid-major recruiting ranking.  He also has a four star transfer with 3 years to play on campus to add to that class.

I'm sure being at ASU  was a goal for Brady. And just what the hell is "a top 20 mid-major recruiting ranking"???? That's a new one.

all nikon

December 09, 2008, 12:52:30 pm #99 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:54:37 pm by all nikon
ASU did not turn down a bowl bid. However, if ASU had, isn't it better to turn down a bowl bid than not to have received one? For those of you who feel a little bit better about yourselves when bashing ASU, there was only one team -- and without a doubt, one bad team that did it -- that had 6 wins against Division I opponents this year. Hands down, the Sun Belt is bad and will never be the SEC, nor wiLL ASU ever play on a level playing field as UA. UA needs to quit buying wins against Sun Belts teams and 1-AA teams or start giving props for ASU's success against teams on their level.
I'll type slower so some of you can keep up...ASU DID NOT TURN DOWN A BOWL BID.