Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shining Example from Today's Jonesboro Sun

Started by HogCzar1, September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripod1

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 15, 2008, 09:48:06 am
Then don't get upset when people point out that ASU is nothing more than the neighborhood brat.  They are not my team, I'm not suppose to like them.

So let me ask a question.  What if, Mustain, Williams, Brodrick, and other past Hogs or state recruits had gone to ASU?  Would there be threads here updating them and wishing them all the luck in the world?  I much prefer to hate USC as opposed to ASU.  I for one love it when all of our state schools win.  Do I think ASU can compete against the Hogs?  Maybe once in a blue moon but now with Hootie gone those chances are even slimmer.

chiefsfan

Quote from: nutted on September 15, 2008, 09:19:03 am
Don't you guys remember a few years ago when some national chain restaurant....nothing good I'm sure...probably an Applebees....opened and had Hog stuff AND ASU stuff hanging in the restaurant.

ASU fans wrote and bugged the corporate office and made them take the hogs stuff down.

Not the restaurant but the corporate office.  Now we can make all kinds of jokes about ASU fans knowing what a corporate office is....but that's for a later thread.

They love to hate the hogs.  This coming from someone born in Memphis...moved to Jonbur and went all through school there....graduated from JHS and had 9 friends sign football and basketball schollys with ASU.

I got to hell out and moved to Fay. for college and stayed for many years after school.

Funny I live in the ATL now and when I think of going home I think of Fay, not J'boro.

There was a razorback store in Jonesboro that did a big radio advertisement saying that if Arkansas beat USC in LA a few years ago they would make T-Shirts.    After the game, the store had to unlist its own phone number for a while because a bunch of people, (ASU fans, but also some other SEC fans in town) got together and called the store for 3 days straight asking whether or not "And USC Just Scored Again" T-shirts were out yet.     

Its hard to blame us for some of the antics.   In How many other D1 College towns in the country can you find tons of merchandise for a different school?   Not many.    If a Ole Miss supply store opened up in Fayetville, how long do you think it would be open before people called them about when Nutt's SEC Championship Under Construction shirts would be ready?

Its what an ASU fan has to fight every day.  In fact its what alot of the Sun Belt schools have to fight daily.   And its something all of us want changed, and we all have our various ways to fight it.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Feralhog

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 09:57:09 am
There was a razorback store in Jonesboro that did a big radio advertisement saying that if Arkansas beat USC in LA a few years ago they would make T-Shirts.    After the game, the store had to unlist its own phone number for a while because a bunch of people, (ASU fans, but also some other SEC fans in town) got together and called the store for 3 days straight asking whether or not "And USC Just Scored Again" T-shirts were out yet.    

Its hard to blame us for some of the antics.   In How many other D1 College towns in the country can you find tons of merchandise for a different school?   Not many.    If a Ole Miss supply store opened up in Fayetvvile, how long do you think it would be open before people called them about when Nutt's SEC Championship Under Construction shirts would be ready?

Its what an ASU fan has to fight every day.  In fact its what alot of the Sun Belt schools have to fight daily.   And its something all of us want changed, and we all have our various ways to fight it.

What are you, ASU's school mam?  I don't carre if you like ASU and I could care less that it pisses you off that I hate 'em. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

chiefsfan

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 15, 2008, 09:48:06 am
Then don't get upset when people point out that ASU is nothing more than the neighborhood brat.  They are not my team, I'm not suppose to like them.

I dont recall any ASU fans coming over here and asking you guys to like us.   We came over here because of the comments you guys would make

And as for UCA.   They have alot of work to do to pass ASU.   Even the most diehard UCA fan will admit that.   They had 4,800 people at their last football game...and most of those were UAPB fans...   A long way to go
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Feralhog on September 15, 2008, 10:00:15 am
What are you, ASU's school mam?  I don't carre if you like ASU and I could care less that it pisses you off that I hate 'em. 

Have you read the threat at all.  I posted early on in the thread that I honestly wished more of you guys would hate us. It would make the debates between the schools alot easier to deal with.

Im more worried about the Hog fans on here (And there are several) who seem to think there is a state law that says all people who live in Arkansas must like the Razorbacks

Ex-Trumpet

What the heck is a Red Wolf anyway?  Isn't that some brand of bad beer?  Are they drunk?

What happened to the mascot name being changed to "Engines?"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Feralhog

September 15, 2008, 10:21:49 am #56 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:33:01 am by Feralhog
Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 10:03:59 am
Have you read the threat at all.  I posted early on in the thread that I honestly wished more of you guys would hate us. It would make the debates between the schools alot easier to deal with.

Im more worried about the Hog fans on here (And there are several) who seem to think there is a state law that says all people who live in Arkansas must like the Razorbacks

It's not a state law but your confusion is understandable.   You've assigned logical thought as being law simply because the vast majority of Arkansasn's know it's dumb to be anything other than a Razorback.  I'll not begrudge you of your rights.  People all across our landscape have the constitutional right to do as much stupid crap as they want. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Justifiable Hogicide

Forget the Jonesboro Sun.

The Democrat-Gazette put it best about ASU: "Nothing To Howl About".

Pork Twain

Way to blow something way out of proportion.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

cane1sthog2nd

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm
This morning's Jonesboro Sun Sports Page offers a real glimpse into the mindset of ASU. The title of the story is "Missed Opportunity" by Sun Sports Writer Matthew V. Roberson.
The first three paragraphs are as follows.
    Arkansas State missed more than an opportunity on the football field.
    With attention from across the state shifting focus and building momentum, Arkansas State made a couple of costly mistakes and Southern Mississippi capitalized to hand the Red Wolves a 27-24 defeat before an announced crowd of 25,938 Saturday night at ASU Stadium.
   In its effort to gain further respect as the smaller BCS school in an already small state, ASU (2-1) couldn't overcome a pair of second half turnovers to lose for the first time this season.

So there you have it. The most important aspect of this game was not that ASU could have started 3-0. It also was not that ASU could have helped itself with potential bowl opportunities with a win. It also was not that they could have gained momentum heading into conference play. No, instead, it was the inability somehow to steal momentum away from the Hogs. (whatever that means) Once again, a shining example of the fact that no matter what happens at ASU, their entire sense of being is dependent on how they relate to the Razorbacks.
  Matt, I also would probably do a little checking on the fact you assert ASU to be a BCS school as well.

As opposed to the STATE (HOG) newspaper that headlined as follows "Nothing to howl about"  "So much for the spotlight, and so much for momentum."   Read as - Now get back in your place.

Bama Hog™

Quote from: Feralhog on September 14, 2008, 05:36:18 pm
The reason I would assume he cared is because most Arkansas fans root for ASU too.  That's how I use to be until I discovered their deep hatred and jealousy of the University of Arkansas.  All it took for me to start hating ASU was a  trip to the tribal grounds message board. 

I started hating them when they changed their mascot and did not go with the obvious choice of the ASU Spitcups.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 10:01:26 am
I dont recall any ASU fans coming over here and asking you guys to like us.   We came over here because of the comments you guys would make

And as for UCA.   They have alot of work to do to pass ASU.   Even the most diehard UCA fan will admit that.   They had 4,800 people at their last football game...and most of those were UAPB fans...   A long way to go

NEWSFLASH!!! there was a tropicical storm on its way to Central Arkansas on Saturday..

dorkanddiana

Its hard to blame us for some of the antics.   In How many other D1 College towns in the country can you find tons of merchandise for a different school?   Not many.    If a Ole Miss supply store opened up in Fayetville, how long do you think it would be open before people called them about when Nutt's SEC Championship Under Construction shirts would be ready?

Its what an ASU fan has to fight every day.  In fact its what alot of the Sun Belt schools have to fight daily.   And its something all of us want changed, and we all have our various ways to fight it.

That's the point. That you have to fight the fact that another in state school sells more merchandise in your "hometown" than does the local school speaks volumes. It pretty much means you don't really belong on the D1 level. Face it ASU will never have as much support as the Hogs even in Jonesboro, let alone anywhere else in the state. It's time the ASU faithful realized that outside of about a 5 county geographic region in NEA your little school ceases to exist.

lookinupthehill

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.  Who cares if ASU wants to build themselves up a little?  Isn't that the right of every program? 

And for the record, I lived in NE Arkansas for the first 22 years of my life and I never, NOT ONCE, heard of a person that hated the Hogs just because they were in favor of ASU.  I've been a Razorback fan all my life, I graduated from ASU, and I don't care who does what.  I'll always be a Hog fan AND a Red Wolves fan.  We will never see the day in our lifetime where the two clash, they are just on different levels. 

lookinupthehill

September 15, 2008, 10:56:20 am #64 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:58:17 am by lookinupthehill
Oh, and for the record, some of you elitists need to grow up a bit.  Yes, we all love the Hogs, but support the Arkansas schools nonetheless.  Just because it's not Fayetteville, doesn't mean it's a piece of crap.  Good lord, you're like 'Bama fans...

Wild Bill Hog

For me, one of the biggest reasons for us not to play the aswho red inks is because it makes them so mad.  I love watching them blubber on and on about it.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 15, 2008, 10:50:07 am
NEWSFLASH!!! there was a tropicical storm on its way to Central Arkansas on Saturday..

Oh I understand it hurts a little.  But good gosh, only 4,000 people?   

chiefsfan

Quote from: dorkanddiana on September 15, 2008, 10:53:02 am
That's the point. That you have to fight the fact that another in state school sells more merchandise in your "hometown" than does the local school speaks volumes. It pretty much means you don't really belong on the D1 level. Face it ASU will never have as much support as the Hogs even in Jonesboro, let alone anywhere else in the state. It's time the ASU faithful realized that outside of about a 5 county geographic region in NEA your little school ceases to exist.

Okay...whatever you say. 

dorkanddiana

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 11:10:19 am
Okay...whatever you say. 

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?topic=38195.0

Here, a quote from your own board.

"You answered your own question.  Until I reach the Jonesboro city limits, I never see any ASU stuff in any store anywhere.  Remember, I live in Benton County.  What makes the Wal-Mart stores in Jonesboro so special is they have ASU stuff and it's affordable.  I admit they don't have much, but it's more than I'm used to seeing.  We're usually out of there in 10 minutes.  It's not like my wife goes shopping for shower gel or something while we're there."

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 11:08:53 am
Oh I understand it hurts a little.  But good gosh, only 4,000 people?  

Yes. There were tornado warnings all over central arkansas. Sirens went off in Conway around 5:00 if i remember correctly.

On a side note, I heard several UCA students complaining that the tickets were 25.00. I guess they thought since it was in LR and not on UAPBs campus they should get a break on ticket prices.

astate

September 15, 2008, 11:52:36 am #70 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:00:03 pm by astate
Quote from: sggrant323 on September 15, 2008, 09:45:41 am
Bleh. Its ASU. I was born in Jonesboro and grew up there. I still went to Fayetteville for undergrad, and have since never made it back to NEA for extended periods of time. ASU sucks. My brother went there, and so did most of my friends from high school. I'll cheer for them so long as we aren't playing them. However, I'll allow their fans to hate the hogs. Maybe if they get good it we can play them and beat the pants off of them year after year, and have a real rivalry with a team, as opposed to a "made-up" one with LSU and a "been-dead-for-twenty-years" one with Texas. You people who are pissed they hate us.... who cares? Arizona fans hate Arizona State. Mississippi fans hate Miss. State. Auburn fans hate Alabama. Clemson fans hate South Carolina. And vice versa for all of those. It is the natural way in the kingdom of fandom. Personally, I don't think ASU is worth my time to hate. They just aren't good, nor a threat to the hog way of life.

Thats laughable.  Are you suggesting that Arkansas is GOOD this year?  Arkansas will be lucky to win another game this year after barely beating a 1-AA team and another gimme game.  Lets face it.  Neither UA nor ASU are national caliber teams.   UA still lives in the glory of the 60's cause that is all they have.  At least they have that.  ASU has nothing to look back on.   ASU should give up wanting to play UA because even a win by ASU does not mean that much.  Nobody outside the state gives a CRAP!   Get a life people. Worry about the games on your teams schedules not about games that will never be played.

Feralhog

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 15, 2008, 10:53:27 am
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.  Who cares if ASU wants to build themselves up a little?  Isn't that the right of every program? 

And for the record, I lived in NE Arkansas for the first 22 years of my life and I never, NOT ONCE, heard of a person that hated the Hogs just because they were in favor of ASU.  I've been a Razorback fan all my life, I graduated from ASU, and I don't care who does what.  I'll always be a Hog fan AND a Red Wolves fan.  We will never see the day in our lifetime where the two clash, they are just on different levels. 
Who says we frieken care?  I could care less!  I just hate the pricks, is that ok with you?

Feralhog

Quote from: astate on September 15, 2008, 11:52:36 am
Thats laughable.  Are you suggesting that Arkansas is GOOD this year?  Arkansas will be lucky to win another game this year after barely beating a 1-AA team and another gimme game.  Lets face it.  Neither UA nor ASU are national caliber teams.   UA still lives in the glory of the 60's cause that is all they have.  At least they have that.  ASU has nothing to look back on.   ASU should give up wanting to play UA because even a win by ASU does not mean that much.  Nobody outside the state gives a CRAP!   Get a life people. Worry about the games on your teams schedules not about games that will never be played.
Go kiss an injun four eyes.

The Boar War

Very classy.  Perhaps ASU fans should follow our example as we haven't put out the "ASU Football; 97 years of ineptitude and counting" t-shirts.

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 15, 2008, 10:56:20 am
Oh, and for the record, some of you elitists need to grow up a bit.  Yes, we all love the Hogs, but support the Arkansas schools nonetheless.  Just because it's not Fayetteville, doesn't mean it's a piece of crap.  Good lord, you're like 'Bama fans...

You should drop the petty regionalism.  It's a road that only leads to Robert Shields' house--and I hear his toliets are frequently clogged.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: DrSwineESQ on September 15, 2008, 12:59:01 pm
You should drop the petty regionalism.  It's a road that only leads to Robert Shields' house--and I hear his toliets are frequently clogged.

Who's Robert Shields?

GuvHog

September 15, 2008, 02:31:33 pm #76 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:36:17 pm by GUVHOG
Don't you guys remember a few years ago when some national chain restaurant....nothing good I'm sure...probably an Applebees....opened and had Hog stuff AND ASU stuff hanging in the restaurant.

ASU fans wrote and bugged the corporate office and made them take the hogs stuff down.

Not the restaurant but the corporate office.  Now we can make all kinds of jokes about ASU fans knowing what a corporate office is....but that's for a later thread.

They love to hate the hogs.  This coming from someone born in Memphis...moved to Jonbur and went all through school there....graduated from JHS and had 9 friends sign football and basketball schollys with ASU.

I got to hell out and moved to Fay. for college and stayed for many years after school.

Funny I live in the ATL now and when I think of going home I think of Fay, not J'boro.

I don't remember that one but I do remember one where a party of 4 went in to Ruby Tuesdays
in Jonesboro one night to eat dinner and spotted U of A stuff hanging on one wall. One of the men got up and demanded to see the restaurant manager and red him the riot act until he took the
Hog stuff down. He even threatened to close the place down if the Manager didn't comply. I wish
I had the money to open up a restaurant in Jonesboro, fill it from one end to the other with Hog
stuff, and double dare one of them suckers to come in and just try to make me take it down!!!! You'd see a guy wearing a T shirt with a BIG Hog on tryin' his best to whip
some red wolf BUTT!!!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lookinupthehill

That's funny, so do I... guess why:  Fayetteville is a whole lot better place to live than Jonesboro.

And just for fun:  what do you think would happen if the Applebees in Fayetteville put up Red Wolves stuff on their walls?  I'd be willing to bet that some irate person would read that manager the same riot act until it got taken down.  The street goes both ways, jack.  Just playing devil's advocate.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 15, 2008, 02:31:33 pm

I don't remember that one but I do remember one where a party of 4 went in to Ruby Tuesdays
in Jonesboro one night to eat dinner and spotted U of A stuff hanging on one wall. One of the men got up and demanded to see the restaurant manager and red him the riot act until he took the
Hog stuff down. He even threatened to close the place down if the Manager didn't comply. I wish
I had the money to open up a restaurant in Jonesboro, fill it from one end to the other with Hog
stuff, and double dare one of them suckers to come in and just try to make me take it down!!!! You'd see a guy wearing a T shirt with a BIG Hog on tryin' his best to whip
some red wolf BUTT!!!!

When was this? I was in that Ruby Tuesdays a week after it opened and I only saw high school stuff.

UCA did the same thing to a bank in Conway.Thats a little different than just some random people I guess. Im sure UCA puts tons of money in that bank. 

I lived in Jonesboro for 6 year 98-04 while I was in college and I just didnt see the hate for the razorbacks many of you are claiming. I had a hog license plate on the front of my car and wore plenty of razorback stuff and I never heard a single negative comment towards my hog "fandom".  I think some of you must have just been going around looking for an argument.

Even if I did hear negative comments it wouldnt bother me. Just because you are from or live in arkansas doesnt mean you have to love the razorbacks. And i dont get why that offends some of you. There are probably 70,000 people in jonesboro while ASU is in session, God forbid not all of them worship the Razorbacks.

Brownie Tuggle

September 15, 2008, 03:53:37 pm #79 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:59:31 pm by Brownie Tuggle
Quote from: Big Dog on September 15, 2008, 05:39:46 am
Every time the Hogs suck ASU wants a piece of the Hogs and this year is no different. They won't want to play the Hogs once Petrino gets the players that he needs, so who cares what they think.

That's not true. ASU would play Arkansas naked on the North Pole if they could get it on the schedule. I'm a Hog Fan. But heck we cant win the SEC outright! We play every Sun Belt team but ASU. That's like cussing and drinking in church! It makes the UA look like a Big Hypocrite. The "we dont have anything to gain" battle cry is old. We're not setting the college football world on fire at Arkansas! The two comeback wins over the vaunted WIU and ULM were huge! Play ASU and stop talking out tha side of your neck UA!!! now let the Band play.

e_dub

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on September 15, 2008, 03:53:37 pm
That's not true. ASU would play Arkansas naked on the North Pole if they could get it on the schedule. I'm a Hog Fan. But heck we cant win the SEC outright! We play every Sun Belt team but ASU. That's like cussing and drinking in church! It makes the UA look like a Big Hypocrite. The "we dont have anything to gain" battle cry is old. We're not setting the college football world on fire at Arkansas! The two comeback wins over the vaunted WIU and ULM were huge! Play ASU and stop talking out tha side of your neck UA!!! now let the Band play.

If A-State had to come to RRS for the game and UA got all gate proceeds and concessions, I would agree this would be good.  Otherwise, it makes no sense to give money to an in-state school.  NONE.  You can't be serious.

The Boar War

Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on September 15, 2008, 03:46:04 pm
When was this? I was in that Ruby Tuesdays a week after it opened and I only saw high school stuff.

Yeah thats what he said Arkansas State stuff.

Texman

Quote from: e_dub on September 15, 2008, 04:04:04 pm
If A-State had to come to RRS for the game and UA got all gate proceeds and concessions, I would agree this would be good.  Otherwise, it makes no sense to give money to an in-state school.  NONE.  You can't be serious.

Please explain.  In all honesty, I don't understand the issue with giving an in-state school a game and some money?  We give it to schools close to us all the time that are actual direct rivals when it comes to recruiting.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: theProdigy on September 15, 2008, 02:01:36 am
Arkansas doesn't have anything to gain from playing, ULM, W. Illinois, or Tulsa either.  Yet they play them.  Fact, Arkansas has played every team in the Sunbelt Conference except for Arkansas State.  If they aren't any different why don't we play them? 

The truth is that it is more out of fear of losing than anything else.  There is no legitimate reason that Arkansas should NOT play Arkansas state, other than fear of being upset.  That is the truest part of it. 

How many times do we have to go over the reason that Arkansas will not play Astate?????

Every team that Arkansas plays in the Sun Belt that is out of state,  they have the potential to gain the attention of a recruit in that area.  Who does A-State have in their area that we would have trouble recruiting?  No one!  Goof Ball, this is the reason, that we would play everybody else in the Sun Belt except A-State. 

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

ExArky

Scheduling Sun Belt teams to help with recruiting? You've GOT to be KIDDING me. Weakest argument I've ever heard.

Arkansas doesn't play Arkansas State because the powers that be, many boosters and fans (not all) don't want to. Bottom line. Nothing really illegal or immoral about it. It's hard to understand how UA has something more to gain playing Tulsa, which is even closer to Fayetteville and more of a threat to beat UA with a locally loved offensive coordinator, but nonetheless UA is free to choose who it will play and not play. Likewise, in athletics, ASU should act as if UA doesn't exist, as it is capable of building a decent mid-major program without playing the Hogs. If Southern Miss and East Carolina can do it, then ASU could.

I do get tired of hearing belittling of my hometown Jonesboro, which if a fine town despite not having Tyson or Walton billions, and arrogant assertions that UA is vastly superior academically to ASU, when the sad truth is that all Arkansas public higher education institutions are viewed as bottom-feeders nationally. That said, I was thankful for scholarships that allowed me to graduate ASU as the first college graduate in my entire family tree, and though the particular program I was in stacked up pretty well nationally, I was never under any illusion that I was getting a high-end education overall, and also under no illusions that the party-hardy UA students were getting anything much better.

Choosing between UA and ASU academically is a little like picking between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Camry ... both are functional, neither is spectacular. Athletically, UA has vastly larger resources and facilities and will be a consistent Top 25 if not Top 10 soon with both Petrino and Pelphrey at the helm of the major teams. ASU has moved a notch or two up from the bottom rung of I-A and might be able to be the type of mid-major that plays in an NCAA tourney or a bowl game every 2-4 years. UCA is on the move and neither UA or ASU should look down their noses at Conway.

The state of Arkansas as a whole will benefit if the state is not seen as a one-horse town when it comes to athletics, and if the state public institutions will pull in the same direction to change higher education for the better. I think a few UA-ASU, UA-UCA, ASU-UCA games would be fun but not necessary to anyone's central mission.

Texman

Quote from: ExArky on September 16, 2008, 09:00:17 am
Scheduling Sun Belt teams to help with recruiting? You've GOT to be KIDDING me. Weakest argument I've ever heard.

Arkansas doesn't play Arkansas State because the powers that be, many boosters and fans (not all) don't want to. Bottom line. Nothing really illegal or immoral about it. It's hard to understand how UA has something more to gain playing Tulsa, which is even closer to Fayetteville and more of a threat to beat UA with a locally loved offensive coordinator, but nonetheless UA is free to choose who it will play and not play. Likewise, in athletics, ASU should act as if UA doesn't exist, as it is capable of building a decent mid-major program without playing the Hogs. If Southern Miss and East Carolina can do it, then ASU could.

I do get tired of hearing belittling of my hometown Jonesboro, which if a fine town despite not having Tyson or Walton billions, and arrogant assertions that UA is vastly superior academically to ASU, when the sad truth is that all Arkansas public higher education institutions are viewed as bottom-feeders nationally. That said, I was thankful for scholarships that allowed me to graduate ASU as the first college graduate in my entire family tree, and though the particular program I was in stacked up pretty well nationally, I was never under any illusion that I was getting a high-end education overall, and also under no illusions that the party-hardy UA students were getting anything much better.

Choosing between UA and ASU academically is a little like picking between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Camry ... both are functional, neither is spectacular. Athletically, UA has vastly larger resources and facilities and will be a consistent Top 25 if not Top 10 soon with both Petrino and Pelphrey at the helm of the major teams. ASU has moved a notch or two up from the bottom rung of I-A and might be able to be the type of mid-major that plays in an NCAA tourney or a bowl game every 2-4 years. UCA is on the move and neither UA or ASU should look down their noses at Conway.

The state of Arkansas as a whole will benefit if the state is not seen as a one-horse town when it comes to athletics, and if the state public institutions will pull in the same direction to change higher education for the better. I think a few UA-ASU, UA-UCA, ASU-UCA games would be fun but not necessary to anyone's central mission.

+1, very logical and accurate post

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I do get tired of hearing belittling of my hometown Jonesboro,

This is something I don't get. I think Ive asked it before but why do so many people here have a problem with Jonesboro? I'd imagine many of you bashing Jonesboro haven't been their in a while. I thought it was a really nice place when i lived there. Now when I go back its almost looks like a completely new place and I've only been gone for 4 years. 

PositronHog

Live and grew up in NWA, but have never had a reason to go to Jonesboro, I see a road trip in my future. Anyplace in particular interesting?

DrSwineESQ

I do get tired of hearing ...  arrogant assertions that UA is vastly superior academically to ASU, when the sad truth is that all Arkansas public higher education institutions are viewed as bottom-feeders nationally. That said, I was thankful for scholarships that allowed me to graduate ASU as the first college graduate in my entire family tree, and though the particular program I was in stacked up pretty well nationally, I was never under any illusion that I was getting a high-end education overall, and also under no illusions that the party-hardy UA students were getting anything much better.

Choosing between UA and ASU academically is a little like picking between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Camry ... both are functional, neither is spectacular.

You claim that all institutions of higher education in Arkansas are considered "bottom-feeders" --that means you haven't been paying attention.  http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/13309.htm   

The problem is that most folks only focus on UA atheletics, and they ignore any news regarding the other work going on across campus.  The billion dollars raised to improve the UA went into academics and academic facilities, not athletics, and it is having an impact and will continue to do so for years to come.  The UA is not the same school it was even 5 years ago.  Arkansans should be proud of how far the UA has come in the last decade, they should not be making blanket statements that all schools in the state are bad.   

GuvHog

September 16, 2008, 11:08:09 am #90 Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:12:01 am by GUVHOG
Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on September 15, 2008, 03:46:04 pm

UCA did the same thing to a bank in Conway.That's a little different than just some random people I guess. I'm sure UCA puts tons of money in that bank. 

I lived in Jonesboro for 6 year 98-04 while I was in college and I just didn't see the hate for the razorbacks many of you are claiming. I had a hog license plate on the front of my car and wore plenty of razorback stuff and I never heard a single negative comment towards my hog "fandom".  I think some of you must have just been going around looking for an argument.

Even if I did hear negative comments it wouldn't bother me. Just because you are from or live in Arkansas doesn't mean you have to love the razorbacks. And i don't get why that offends some of you. There are probably 70,000 people in Greensboro while ASU is in session, God forbid not all of them worship the Razorbacks.

It may not have been Ruby Tuesdays, one knows how stories get changed from person to person
but it did happen in a restaurant in Jonesboro. I am originally from NEA, lived there a BIG part of my life and graduated from Greene County Tech in Paragould. My wife and I have a large number of relatives still living in the Jonesboro area. I know personally of some clothing merchants who were
threatened for daring to sell Razorback clothing. I was in Cracker Barrell, where they have a display of Razorback items for sale along with ASU stuff and watched in shock as a man wearing ASU clothing berated an employee loud enough that you could hear it all over the restaurant, demanding that she remove all of the Razorback stuff from the restaurant immediately. The manager finally had him escorted out telling him not to come back. Needless to say, the display is still there.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SgtPepper

Quote from: ChargerHog on September 14, 2008, 08:01:43 pm

I actually thinl UCA is the second best team in the state.
I totally agree..  and Arkansas State is the best team in the state.
The stAte's University

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SgtPepper on September 16, 2008, 12:40:32 pm
I totally agree..  and Arkansas State is the best TAXPAYER SUPPORTED team in the state.

Fixed that for you.

SgtPepper

The BAC is inhabited by a bunch of panty waists.
The stAte's University

dorkanddiana

Quote from: SgtPepper on September 16, 2008, 12:46:45 pm

It's panty wastes, you ignorant tool.

Hawgndaaz

In the category of Arkansas colleges that have "red wolves" as their mascot, and are located in the NE, ASU is #1.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SgtPepper on September 16, 2008, 12:46:45 pm

At least a bunch of people are there.  The same cannot, of course, be said concerning the number present in any of the athletic facilities at aswho.

The Boar War

I agree.  Is Indian/Red Wolf High 6 or 7A?

majp51

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm
This morning's Jonesboro Sun Sports Page offers a real glimpse into the mindset of ASU. The title of the story is "Missed Opportunity" by Sun Sports Writer Matthew V. Roberson.
The first three paragraphs are as follows.
    Arkansas State missed more than an opportunity on the football field.
    With attention from across the state shifting focus and building momentum, Arkansas State made a couple of costly mistakes and Southern Mississippi capitalized to hand the Red Wolves a 27-24 defeat before an announced crowd of 25,938 Saturday night at ASU Stadium.
   In its effort to gain further respect as the smaller BCS school in an already small state, ASU (2-1) couldn't overcome a pair of second half turnovers to lose for the first time this season.

So there you have it. The most important aspect of this game was not that ASU could have started 3-0. It also was not that ASU could have helped itself with potential bowl opportunities with a win. It also was not that they could have gained momentum heading into conference play. No, instead, it was the inability somehow to steal momentum away from the Hogs. (whatever that means) Once again, a shining example of the fact that no matter what happens at ASU, their entire sense of being is dependent on how they relate to the Razorbacks.
  Matt, I also would probably do a little checking on the fact you assert ASU to be a BCS school as well.

I think you are over interpreting. I think you are at best seeing the mindset of certain ASU fans in the media.

I mean the ASU v UA football thread is more done by certain ASU fans, and vurther enflamed by people in the media. The worst aspects of that push are not coming from ASU.

majp51

Yeah right. A single win against a Down Texas A&M team and you are the best school in the state.