Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State and Gus

Started by ur, November 02, 2007, 09:56:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ur

With ASU heading toward a losing season, would now be the time for them to step up and offer Gus the HC job? If Nutt stays around next year, A lot of razorback fans may start following both schools.

ark30inf

Quote from: ur on November 02, 2007, 09:56:33 am
With ASU heading toward a losing season, would now be the time for them to step up and offer Gus the HC job? If Nutt stays around next year, A lot of razorback fans may start following both schools.

Won't happen, Roberts is having trouble figuring out how to win beyond early in seasons.  But he is not doing badly enough to be tossed at ASU (check ASU basketball).

HAWGTROT

I think something has been in the works here for a couple of weeks now. My source is pretty solid. But, now the SMU opening might change that.

HootieHaterfromALA

Who is source....weed?

cosmodrum

Umm...huh?

Please be a little more vague.
Go away, batin'

HAWGTROT

Oops, sorry for the new post. I was trying to reply to the Arkansas state / Gus thread. If some one could just merg this. As you can see I don't post much.

PCHogs

I hear SMU wants Malzahn to be their next Head Coach.....could just be a rumor though.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

davis01

What are you talking about?

HAWGTROT

Quote from: HootieHaterfromALA on November 02, 2007, 10:04:08 am
Who is source....weed?
Haha that's funny. Again sorry for the mix up.

VRaptor

Quote from: PCHogs on November 02, 2007, 10:05:27 am
I hear SMU wants Malzahn to be their next Head Coach.....could just be a rumor though.

Hopefully just rumor. I'd hate to see him go to a coach killer like SMU

PCHogs

Quote from: VRaptor on November 02, 2007, 10:08:01 am

Hopefully just rumor. I'd hate to see him go to a coach killer like SMU

I agree.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

PCHogs

Quote from: opineonswine on November 02, 2007, 10:25:05 am

I hear they are hot to trot for Houston Nutt and he is interested. 

That would be great!  They can have him!
My websites: 

WP razorback

I would not swear to this, but aren't Steve Roberts and Gus Malzahn good friends? It seems like I remember hearing that.  I am sure Malzahn could do wonders with Corey Leonard as offensive coordinator at Arkansas State.

prairiehogcompanion

Did you hear this on the radio?

MCheisman

Gus would be a great fit at ASU, I hope they follow threw with it.

PCHogs

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on November 02, 2007, 10:28:31 am

Did you hear this on the radio?

No.  A good friend of mine in NW Arkansas who hears alot of stuff told me.  Some of the stuff he hears is accurate, but some isn't.  That's why I say it may just be a rumor or speculation.
My websites: 

ark30inf

Quote from: Trav34 on November 02, 2007, 10:37:58 am
if Gus were to become the head coach at Astate I would be an astate season ticket holder.  As an alum of Arkansas State this would be a dream come true.

Yeah, it would be nice.  But my gut is that the odds are someone down in the 1% range.

MCheisman

Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2007, 10:44:47 am
if Gus were to become the head coach at Astate I would be an astate season ticket holder.  As an alum of Arkansas State this would be a dream come true.

Yeah, it would be nice.  But my gut is that the odds are someone down in the 1% range.
Really, how do you figure that or are you just shooting in the dark?

PowderedToastMan

stAte will not fire Roberts.  He won a conference title and went to a bowl game two years ago.  He is an outstanding guy.  His job is safe for now. 
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

ark30inf

Quote from: MCheisman on November 02, 2007, 10:58:05 am
Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2007, 10:44:47 am

Really, how do you figure that or are you just shooting in the dark?

Basing it on 40 years as an ASU fan.  If Dickey Nutt is not gone....there is certainly no reason for Roberts to be replaced.  ASU  has been on the coaching carousel and got hurt bad.  I find it highly unlikely that the PTB are going to cut Roberts loose when ASU has a fairly stable 6-6 program.  Not sure the cat is going to sit on that stovetop again, even if it should.

okiehawg

IMO OC at Tulsa > HC at Arkansas State.  So I don't think he would take this job.

Destin2bAhog

Evidently they are interested in another coach from Arkansas.  

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26405

LZH

Quote from: PCHogs on November 02, 2007, 10:26:20 am

Actually, goofus would probably do ok there...seriously.  Pick up a good DFW RB every now-n-then, be semi-competitive in the WAC, Big West, Texas League, whatever...go 6-6 and keep saying things like "keep gettin' 'bedder'", "precious", & "he wants to be here", and before they know what hit them, he'll have been there 10 years.  Yay Mustangs.

hogtheball

Quote from: WP razorback on November 02, 2007, 10:28:11 am
I would not swear to this, but aren't Steve Roberts and Gus Malzahn good friends? It seems like I remember hearing that.  I am sure Malzahn could do wonders with Corey Leonard as offensive coordinator at Arkansas State.

Gus and Steve know each other. They were both at OBU in '87.  I think Steve was Gus' GA coach in spring ball.  I don't know if they stay in touch, however.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ark30inf

Quote from: okiehawg on November 02, 2007, 11:44:00 am

IMO OC at Tulsa > HC at Arkansas State.  So I don't think he would take this job.

Probably not, Sun Belt (and ASU) have been doing pretty well against Conference USA as a whole.  A Head Coaching job at Sun Belt is not much difference from Offensive Coordinator at CUSA except that as HC you don't have to put up with your Head Coach criticizing your 3rd ranked offense for screwing up your 199th ranked defense.

MJ2

Gus is too smart for that gig.  It's career suicide.

ark30inf

Quote from: MJ2 on November 02, 2007, 12:18:19 pm

Unless he is having personality issues at Tulsa....his best bet is to stay there a couple more years and then try to get another assistant's gig at a prestigious program.  The Head Coach at smaller program thing is probably not his best route.

cardinalhawg

I have thought about this before in regards to Gus being a good coach for ASU to go after.  He would instill excitement into that program, would have a good connection with recruiting within the state, and would provide an exciting offense for the school.  ASU has shown some signs of life in their football program in recent years, and he could be the guy to get the over the hump.

The thing is that Roberts is probably winning enough to stay there for as long as he wants, but not winning enough to get a better job.  ASU struggled so mightily before he got there, that playing .500 ball is a step up.  However, if ASU wants to be gutsy and feels like they could get Gus to accept a head coaching job with them, then they could really make a statement by making the change.  I am not saying that they should fire Roberts, but it would be bold and aggressive move it they did.  At the least it would increase fan interest in the program.

If I was looking for a head coach at ASU, Gus would be the guy I would go after.

jjones

Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2007, 12:19:43 pm

Unless he is having personality issues at Tulsa....his best bet is to stay there a couple more years and then try to get another assistant's gig at a prestigious program.  The Head Coach at smaller program thing is probably not his best route.

I agree.  I believe that A-state will eventually become a more competitive school, but for the time being the athletic department doesn't seem to care a great deal about sports or Dickie Nutt wouldn't still be there.  Although I would love to see it happen and firmly believe Gus could succeed at A-state, it just doesn't seem like everyone in there administration is on the same page when it comes to athletics. 

GrumpyHog

Roberts is popular with ASU fans, plus Gus isnt going down the scale.

Wild Bill Hog

My goodness, a few weeks ago a number of posters were thinking Roberts would be a good candidate to consider for HC at UA.  Those losses really mess ya up, brotha.

ark30inf

Quote from: cardinalhawg on November 02, 2007, 12:26:11 pm
I have thought about this before in regards to Gus being a good coach for ASU to go after.  He would instill excitement into that program, would have a good connection with recruiting within the state, and would provide an exciting offense for the school.  ASU has shown some signs of life in their football program in recent years, and he could be the guy to get the over the hump.

The thing is that Roberts is probably winning enough to stay there for as long as he wants, but not winning enough to get a better job.  ASU struggled so mightily before he got there, that playing .500 ball is a step up.  However, if ASU wants to be gutsy and feels like they could get Gus to accept a head coaching job with them, then they could really make a statement by making the change.  I am not saying that they should fire Roberts, but it would be bold and aggressive move it they did.  At the least it would increase fan interest in the program.

If I was looking for a head coach at ASU, Gus would be the guy I would go after.

Agreed, but things move slow at ASU so don't expect it.

ark30inf

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 02, 2007, 12:28:10 pm
My goodness, a few weeks ago a number of posters were thinking Roberts would be a good candidate to consider for HC at UA.  Those losses really mess ya up, brotha.

The problems of the ASU staff appear to me to be the ability to adjust as the season goes on.  They do very well in the off-season when they have time to plan and work on schemes.....they surprise people early in the season.  But then teams get films and adjust but ASU sticks with the same thing and offensive production goes down as the season progresses.  They have to figure out a way to adjust and keep opponents off balance through a whole season.

scootman

IF Gus were to go to stAte and HDN were to remain at UA AND Jeff Long decided it was time for the two teams to play each other it could make some very interesting football. Even if HDN were gone I think it would be great if Gus went to stAte. I think it would go a long way to helping put stAte back on the football map for Arkansas. This is the kind of rivalry we need in Arkansas.
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

bigyellowdog

ASU would be stupid to fire Roberts.  The only way they lso him is if he goes somewhere else which would not surprise me.

Gus will hold out for the right job opening.  ASU or SMU won't be it.

Tripod1

Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2007, 12:19:43 pm

And I hope that is not the problem in tulsa for Gus.  That would be all he needs.  Personality problem at UA and then personality problem at Tulsa.  Gus haters would then point a finger and say it was all Gus' fault.  Besides, Gus has a much brighter future than ASU or SMU.

okiehawg

Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2007, 12:17:20 pm
Quote from: okiehawg on November 02, 2007, 11:44:00 am

Probably not, Sun Belt (and ASU) have been doing pretty well against Conference USA as a whole.  A Head Coaching job at Sun Belt is not much difference from Offensive Coordinator at CUSA except that as HC you don't have to put up with your Head Coach criticizing your 3rd ranked offense for screwing up your 199th ranked defense.

I didn't hear about him and the HC getting into an arguement.

On top of that, the CUSA gets a lot more exposure than the Sun Belt.  The Sun Belt is considered the weakest conference in D-1.  At Tulsa, he is getting a lot of national exposure because of the success of his offense and the amount of times they have had the opportunity to play on TV.

HawgWyld

Quote from: PCHogs on November 02, 2007, 10:26:20 am

SMU and Nutt deserve each other. That's a match made in heaven (or, hell maybe).

Merle Hawggard

ive heard some talk of roberts to memphis or ole miss..he's a good coach, would do great at a school where he can get more talent.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

bearcathog

Probably wont happen.

But wouldn't it be ironic and funny if he did?

"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

Hog Scratch Fever

Maybe we found the one area HDN is better than Gus.........getting the SMU job.  Please, please, please, please.......etc.
"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

PorkuPine

roberts aint going anywhere. he is the man for that job