Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will the Hogs schedule ASU??

Started by TNRazorbacker, September 19, 2007, 04:02:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gkimrey

Its just a footbal game. Wouldn't it be better to play ASU in LR than Tennessee Rattlers?
\"if you would not be forgotten, before you are dead and rotten, either write things worth the reading or do things worth the writing\".  Benjamin Franklin

gomersnerd

It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

kgr

It helps the hogs not.

But from which school did the gov. graduate?

For what school did he serve on the board?

It will happen.

gomersnerd

Quote from: MuleriderFan on September 20, 2007, 03:13:09 pm
Quote from: riccoar on September 19, 2007, 10:13:53 pm
Quote from: RazorsEdge on September 19, 2007, 09:53:36 pm
Nolan came extremely close to losing to ASU and it wasn't the end of the world.

It would have been the end of the road had he lost.  I think Nolan would tell you that himself.

Nolan said he was more nervous in the ASU game then he was in the Nat'l Championship bc he knew that if he lost, he was gone.

Thank god those homer officials that hog fans cried about let the pigs steal it.
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

gomersnerd

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on September 20, 2007, 07:49:20 pm
Quote from: Jim on September 20, 2007, 07:41:42 pm
The anti-ASU argument holds no water until we quit playing Sunbelt teams.

There is nothing to gain by playing Troy just as much as there is nothing to gain by playing Ark State.  Yet, we still feel compelled to schedule every other team except ASU.  Why is that?

Again...if you want this question to go away, quit playing directional LA schools and any other team in the SBC.

There are a vast number of other teams in other conferences who'd be good OOC fodder...if that's all we're scheduling them for.

So why ASU?  The argument right now is why not ASU...I am asking why we should play them. 

I don't care if we do, I just don't find them to be relavant, the same as the rest of em.  I'd much rather play CUSA and MAC schools than Sun Belt schools, but why does it actually matter if we play them? 

Are we offended that ASU calls us scared?  We know we would bash them, and we can at our own will.  Same reason why a UFC guy doesn't beat the hell out of every drunk who tries to call them out.  We know we can, so we don't have to, but we could to prove a point. 

ASU is a joke, the same way that the rest of the SBC (except for Troy) is.   (Troy actually is pretty good year in and year out, and is the only SBC team to consistantly play teams close or beat them)  I don't care if we play them, and neither should you.  On a list of 100 problems the U of A and the Hogs have, not playing ASU is about #344.

If troy is so good why is ASU 3-0 against them the last 3 years??

75_zebra

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on September 20, 2007, 07:23:33 pm
Heres my question?  Why does it matter?  Since when could a coaching staff not play whomever they want for whatever reason they want? 

The argument that it keeps money in state as well is dumb, because it isn't the specific job of the athletic department to give it to certain schools, arbitrarily based on proximity...it simply doesn't matter, and whether or not they play ASU, FIU, ULM, or whatever other 3 letter sun belt school for a free win, I just don't see the point of being concerned. 

The U of A is superior to ASU in all ways, academic, athletic, location, anything you can think of.  So why worry about beating down one specific inferior school?  How about we concentrate on beating LSU rather than ASU?

Frank, is that you?

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: gomersnerd on September 20, 2007, 08:54:23 pm
Quote from: dmac4sainthood on September 20, 2007, 07:49:20 pm
Quote from: Jim on September 20, 2007, 07:41:42 pm
The anti-ASU argument holds no water until we quit playing Sunbelt teams.

There is nothing to gain by playing Troy just as much as there is nothing to gain by playing Ark State.  Yet, we still feel compelled to schedule every other team except ASU.  Why is that?

Again...if you want this question to go away, quit playing directional LA schools and any other team in the SBC.

There are a vast number of other teams in other conferences who'd be good OOC fodder...if that's all we're scheduling them for.

So why ASU?  The argument right now is why not ASU...I am asking why we should play them. 

I don't care if we do, I just don't find them to be relavant, the same as the rest of em.  I'd much rather play CUSA and MAC schools than Sun Belt schools, but why does it actually matter if we play them? 

Are we offended that ASU calls us scared?  We know we would bash them, and we can at our own will.  Same reason why a UFC guy doesn't beat the hell out of every drunk who tries to call them out.  We know we can, so we don't have to, but we could to prove a point. 

ASU is a joke, the same way that the rest of the SBC (except for Troy) is.   (Troy actually is pretty good year in and year out, and is the only SBC team to consistantly play teams close or beat them)  I don't care if we play them, and neither should you.  On a list of 100 problems the U of A and the Hogs have, not playing ASU is about #344.

If troy is so good why is ASU 3-0 against them the last 3 years??

Apparently ASU also dropped 30+ on the gators, beat Oklahoma State....oh wait, no they didn't, troy did.  Kentucky and Vandy also beat Georgia last year...I guess that makes Georgia an inferior program. 

Troy won 7 games in 04 and 8 games last season, which considering the SBC is pretty much guaranteed 3 losses a piece each year due to the pay games, its pretty good.  In the last 4 seasons, ASU has won 5, 3, 6, and 6 respectivly.  So ASU isn't bad.  However to say ASU is a better program than Troy is inaccurate, even if they do have their number.  Going back to a Georgia example, Florida has stomped the Dawgs year after year, but they are fairly comparable programs on a national level.

The point is, it is a dumb question to even worry about because why do we care who our whore is?  Just lets pay somebody, I don't care if its ASU, UCA, UAPB, Hendrix, or ULM.  Lets get our 3 paid Ws, the same as every other SEC team, and call it a day.  If ASU fans feel wronged that we won't validate the .5% chance of them actually playing Arkansas close, I won't lose any sleep over it and neither should you!

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: 75_zebra on September 20, 2007, 09:21:35 pm
Quote from: dmac4sainthood on September 20, 2007, 07:23:33 pm
Heres my question?  Why does it matter?  Since when could a coaching staff not play whomever they want for whatever reason they want? 

The argument that it keeps money in state as well is dumb, because it isn't the specific job of the athletic department to give it to certain schools, arbitrarily based on proximity...it simply doesn't matter, and whether or not they play ASU, FIU, ULM, or whatever other 3 letter sun belt school for a free win, I just don't see the point of being concerned. 

The U of A is superior to ASU in all ways, academic, athletic, location, anything you can think of.  So why worry about beating down one specific inferior school?  How about we concentrate on beating LSU rather than ASU?

Frank, is that you?

Can Frank even use a computer in his old age?  Better question, does he know what a computer that isn't the size of a room looks like?

NuttinItUp

There is no positive for the U of A to play ASU. It would be a terrible decision.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 21, 2007, 03:54:50 am
There is no positive for the U of A to play ASU. It would be a terrible decision.

I agree partially.  I think there is no positive, other than the paid W, but I don't really see a negative.  Other teams have suffered shockers before, and the world hasn't come to an end.  I just wonder why because they are located in the same state, despite there being 3 D1A schools closer (Mizzou, Tulsa, and OSU), why we feel some strange obligation to oblige them.  I feel more desire to play UA-Monticello if we want to stick in state. At least they are part of the UA system, and not the ASU system.  Not to mention, a pay game does wonders for a D2 athletic budget. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on September 21, 2007, 03:58:27 am
Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 21, 2007, 03:54:50 am

I agree partially.  I think there is no positive, other than the paid W, but I don't really see a negative.  Other teams have suffered shockers before, and the world hasn't come to an end.  I just wonder why because they are located in the same state, despite there being 3 D1A schools closer (Mizzou, Tulsa, and OSU), why we feel some strange obligation to oblige them.  I feel more desire to play UA-Monticello if we want to stick in state. At least they are part of the UA system, and not the ASU system.  Not to mention, a pay game does wonders for a D2 athletic budget. 
Besides the threat of a loss (if you win, you are expected to win, and if you lose you are considered terrible, which is worse if it is in state) you also have to contend with the splitting of the in state talent through elevation of the ASU program. We don't have a big enough population in Arkansas to support splitting our top tier talent between two universities. (even partially)

jneal56

Quote from: WHITEPW on September 19, 2007, 07:08:10 pm
Is there any upside to playing the other sunbelt teams we play this year.  They play an SEC school every year.  What difference would it make.  

The only thing I can think is, it is out of state so people from out of state bring their money and spend it here. Also and small as schools as they are, there can be some gained recruiting wise from their state. May not be much but if someones little brother comes and watches big brother get beat by the Hogs and think "hey I kinda like it here" then we got interest. I know that probably does not happen very often, but in fact it does happen. So from a financial standpoint, we are going to pay someone to come in and lose so it may as well be people from out of state that may stay and spend money if Fayetteville and Little Rock as well as maybe an impression on a youngster. I know people are gonna get on here and bash me for this because they usually don't put any thought into what they say. But anytime you play out of state schools the write up in the local paper wherever they are from will have the highlights from a game that Arkansas normally wins. I say that because of the Citadel.
"At least we are moral"

ToddW

I think our non conference games should be old teams from the SWC or neighboring states.  OU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OSU, Missouri.  These are the teams we should be playing on our non-conference schedule.  Pick up Notre Dame, or Michigan for that matter.  The program would benefit finacially as well as with experience with big name teams.  But SOS doesn't really count anymore and these schools probably wouldn't want to play us anyway.  Bring on TN-Chat!
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: ToddW on September 21, 2007, 07:39:41 am
I think our non conference games should be old teams from the SWC or neighboring states.  OU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OSU, Missouri.  These are the teams we should be playing on our non-conference schedule.  Pick up Notre Dame, or Michigan for that matter.  The program would benefit finacially as well as with experience with big name teams.  But SOS doesn't really count anymore and these schools probably wouldn't want to play us anyway.  Bring on TN-Chat!
Totally agree, I'd much rather play Southern Methodist, TCU, Rice, Houston than then any of the other Sun Belt teams.

PaleHorse

The only thing more stupid than this debate is one that we should still play in Little Rock.  Arkansas has nothing AT ALL to gain by playing ASU.
Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

LSPRazorbac

I would rather schedule a Big 12 school to play every year.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: football-writer on September 20, 2007, 02:23:28 pm
Quote from: Powerbacker on September 19, 2007, 08:39:34 pm
  All you need for an example of what could take place if Arkansas played ASU is the state of Mississippi. Small state with a population base similar to our state. You might think that fan support would never dwindle at the U of A, but over a period of time, the monopoly Arkansas has could very well be drained substantially.

How about when Tennessee was required, by Tennessee state law, to play Memphis.  And what has Tennessee done since then?  Oh, Won a national title, won several SEC championships, been ranked, with the exception of this year and last year, in or near the Top-10 every season.You say Arkansas has a monopoly and that's another reason why they qon't play ASU out of the "lowly Sunbelt" wwhat about when they play "lowly Sunbelt" teams Troy, Louisiana, Lafayette, ULM, North Texas, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, etc, etc, etc...

As for Mr...
Quote from: naturalbornpigger on September 19, 2007, 09:46:25 pm
Why won't ASU play UCA?

ASU HAS played UCA in the last 17 years....NOW it's time for UA to prove they are as big of a school as ASU and play the Indians....UA says they would win every year and in every sport....prove it...put your athletes where your mouth is...in other words "put up or shut up."

I'm a Razorback fan and, while I think you're right about UA winning, in certain sports, the major reason they haven't played will be out of office effective Jan 1.  The money generated, either through ticket sales or which school pays and which school receives would stay in-state...not like the $750 thousand the Hogs are paying the many other schools PER GAME that goes to Alabama (Troy), Florida, (FIU, FAU), Louisiana (ULM, ULL) or Texas (North Texas).

Plus...the last time a ASU team played a team from the hill, the ASU team (the ASU Lady Indians) defeated the UA team (the Lady Razorbacks) two years ago in the Women's NIT by a score of 86-56.  BEFORE the game UA's coach loved the idea of a yearly contest.  Following her team being blown out, she changed her tune and stated that there was no point to a yearly game.  Funny what losing by 30 will do to your attitude.

Actually Susie G lost to a lot of people by 30 pts.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SirCHog on September 20, 2007, 01:21:22 pm
The only advantage would be to play them in Little Rock and call it an away game.  That's worth considering.

Absolutely.  Let ASU pay for the cost of the game and guarantee UA say a $1,000,000 pay check.  That way UA could play at WMS and not lose money for a change ("something to gain"), and ASU would get the game with UA they want so badly and a great crowd to help their attendance figures.  Looks like a Win-Win.

pikehog

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 19, 2007, 09:11:02 pm
Arkansas would have nothing to gain from playing ASU. We should never play them period.

because we have so much to gain by playing half the sunbelt in our non-conference schedule.

HOGPICKER

Oklahoma/OSU
FSU/Miami
Bama/Auburn
and others too numerous to mention are prima facia evidence that in state rivalries weaken and eventually tear at the fabric of college athletics. 
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

dchoss

September 21, 2007, 02:28:16 pm #120 Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 02:31:28 pm by dchoss
Quote from: RazorsEdge on September 20, 2007, 12:04:30 pm
If we have to worry about losing recruits to ASU, we are in really big trouble. 

stAte plays in front of 19,000 fans for a homecoming game.
stAte plays in the SunBelt
stAte plays on television how many times a year?
stAte has never been in the top 25
stAte has been to one bowl

I'm not saying stAte would never land a top 25 Arkansas recruit, but you can't say that anyway.  DeAngelo Williams went to Memphis, and we don't play them.  Ole Miss played stAte regularly, and Oxford is a lot closer to Jonesboro than Fayetteville is.  Did Ole Miss lose recruits to stAte?  Wait, Ole Miss never lost to them.

The biggest recruiting danger from stAte would be if they started playing an exciting, fun to play brand of football and won some games.  They are getting closer to that already.  In a few years, the Hogs might want to play stAte to show everyone who the boss is.
oops, sorry, ASU finished in the AP top 20 back in 1975, went undefeated, i had some friends from high school play on that team, finished # 6 in the nation in one off the wall poll.  sorry, ASU has one win and one tie against OLE MISS.
if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

HOGPICKER

Quote from: pikehog on September 21, 2007, 02:05:59 pm
Arkansas would have nothing to gain from playing ASU. We should never play them period.

because we have so much to gain by playing half the sunbelt in our non-conference schedule.

Even another SBC school (ASU) would be better than IAA Chattanooga.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

Gaskinswitch

Quote from: PigPusher on September 19, 2007, 04:59:26 pm
It's time we did. Bunches of other schools do it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa That reasoning sounds like what a 9 year old girl tells her parents trying to let her go out with a 14 year old boy............every one else does it.

Think about this...................................What if Mississippi only had one Div 1 football program instead of 3 that split up the $$, fans , media coverage etc?  Do you think that maybe Mississippi might produce a program that that is better than the sum of all three?  Ask Johnny Vaught...................if you even know who I am talking about.

Arkansas is not going to play asu or anyone else in this state until there is one good thing in it for them to do so.  The policy has worked as intended and it will be continued.

Weather69

Question to all of you that think this way:  what do we have to gain from playing ULM, North Texas, Tenn-Chat, and all the other rent-a-wins?
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied."  Otto von Bismark

"The last official act of any government is to loot the nation."  Michael Rivero

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Weather69 on September 21, 2007, 03:56:41 pm

Question to all of you that think this way:  what do we have to gain from playing ULM, North Texas, Tenn-Chat, and all the other rent-a-wins?

A winning game that doesn't cost much.

4thdownnutt

since they are 1 and 44 against the sec I can understand why I'm scared

4thdownnutt

nate238

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on September 23, 2007, 09:25:36 am
now make that 1 and 45

Hmmm... this is the kind of stuff that makes no sense.  I guess I can reply with the Hogs' only win this year is against the lowly Sun Belt while ASU has taken out a Conf. USA team.  ASU might sound like the better team.  My point is that there are some stupid reasons given all over this board for not playing the game.

jjones

do you really think the hogs want to risk nutt losing to a better in-state coach?

jblack19

Quote from: football-writer on September 19, 2007, 08:10:16 pm
Quote from: King Smack on September 19, 2007, 04:56:43 pm
Why would the Razorbacks play little brother? It is a no win situation for the UofA. We beat them.... we are suppose too. There is nothing to gain in playing them.

Yet we'll play Troy, ULM, UL-La, North Texas...four universities IN THE SAME CONFERENCE as ASU but we won't play ASU....sad.  If we're not gonna play ASU, let's drop the other FOUR Sunbelt teams and pick up some Conference USA teams or Big XII teams...

PLUS, the last time a UA team played a team from ASU was a couple of years ago in the Women's NIT...ASU won by 30 points.
Its an SEC deal of some kind. Check out the other SEC schedules. We arent the only school that plays the Sunbelt 'cupcakes'. I would rather us play the likes of USC, Ohio St, or Michigan in place of one of those games.

ke2743

Quote from: mj4president on September 19, 2007, 05:20:44 pm
Why in world do people want this game? Don't say peole would rather see this game over Auburn or Tennessee etc because they dont. You think they would pay 100 a ticket like some fool said earlier this year then your wrong. They are a crappy school that we should not play. If we win so what, but if we lose then we are a laughing stock.
We already are the laughing stock.  I think ASU would beat us this year.  I'm from Jonesboro, but went to U of A, I have never been an Indians fan but the way things are going this year, I think I might hop on the Indian wagon.  I think the game would be great because it would make our coaches bust their a$$ to make sure we don't lose.  Hell have the game in Little Rock because ASU loves to tail gate too.