Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Arkansas play ASU?? POLL

Started by Mark Lericos, July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eclipse

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 05, 2007, 09:47:50 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.
Houston we have a problem...did you have the resident polster come up with the poll...i went to take the poll and there is no correct answer...
1.) No way, too much to lose
2.) Once every couple of years
3.) sure Why not...

Why not just yes or no...I really am not interested in playing them but don't see that we have too much to lose...How do yo vote NO with out agreeing with your slanted poll......The point is we have NOTHING TO GAIN...it is not the same...

Agree. I think we don't need to play them.  It has nothing to do with "to much to lose".  Nice way of getting the results he wants I guess, its a slow sporting news month.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:52:12 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 09:47:27 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:45:54 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 09:39:59 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:29:32 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 08:36:34 am

Mark, did you graduate from THE University of Arkansas or from ASU?  I'm a U of A grad that is originally from Choctaw, OK.  Also, I'm sorry but what does your comment about the local media being puppets for the U of A mean and what does it have to do with this discussion?  You lost me on that one.

You lost me, how does you graduating from the U of A and me not graduating from either school have any bearing on the discussion, I attend the games just like a lot of fans, and I'm making the obvious comment that with all these ridiculous opponents, why haven't the Hogs made an attempt to play a similiarly sized school within in the state?

as for the media comment, it's in response to your statement about my "smart alec" comment, when many posters on here have made similar comments about the media.

I asked because you sound like a typical ASU grad begging for Arkansas to play ASU.  Are you an ASU grad?  Also, why do comments from posters about the local media upset you?  Are you a local media person?  If so, what do you do?

I'm not begging the Hogs, nor am I supporting ASU. It's just a neutral obversation, I've heard nothing but negative comments on this board and from fans in person about this schedule. So my first question is, how can Arkansas spice it up? The easy answer is an in-state matchup.  Not EVERY year, every so often, maybe in years when you don't have a top caliber OOC scheduled. 

That's all.

Are you an ASU grad?  Why don't you answer?

I already did.. a few posts ago. Read more, post less.   NEUTRAL. I graduated from Troy.
[/quote]

Adding ASU to the schedule would not spice up anything.  If you really wanted to "spice" up the schedule, add Tulsa.  Also, you didn't answer the question about you being a local media person.  Are you?

Moonshine Pond

Mark, did you graduate from THE University of Arkansas or from ASU?  I'm a U of A grad that is originally from Choctaw, OK.  Also, I'm sorry but what does your comment about the local media being puppets for the U of A mean and what does it have to do with this discussion?  You lost me on that one.

You lost me, how does you graduating from the U of A and me not graduating from either school have any bearing on the discussion, I attend the games just like a lot of fans, and I'm making the obvious comment that with all these ridiculous opponents, why haven't the Hogs made an attempt to play a similiarly sized school within in the state?

as for the media comment, it's in response to your statement about my "smart alec" comment, when many posters on here have made similar comments about the media.

I asked because you sound like a typical ASU grad begging for Arkansas to play ASU.  Are you an ASU grad?  Also, why do comments from posters about the local media upset you?  Are you a local media person?  If so, what do you do?

I'm not begging the Hogs, nor am I supporting ASU. It's just a neutral obversation, I've heard nothing but negative comments on this board and from fans in person about this schedule. So my first question is, how can Arkansas spice it up? The easy answer is an in-state matchup.  Not EVERY year, every so often, maybe in years when you don't have a top caliber OOC scheduled. 

That's all.

I already did.. a few posts ago. Read more, post less.   NEUTRAL. I graduated from Troy.
[/quote]

I don't see any posts from you that indicate you graduated from Troy until this one.  I guess I could've missed it....

Jerk Pork

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:50:16 am

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.
Houston we have a problem...did you have the resident polster come up with the poll...i went to take the poll and there is no correct answer...
3.) sure Why not...

Why not just yes or no...I really am not interested in playing them but don't see that we have too much to lose...How do yo vote NO with out agreeing with your slanted poll......The point is we have NOTHING TO GAIN...it is not the same...

because some people might not want to play ASU every single year, so we needed a middle ground. If you don't... say NO. If you do but not all the time... select the middle. If you say YES...choose the last.
You missed my point...I don't want to play them but my reason is NOT that we have too much to lose...How do I mark NO with out getting lumped into the group that thinks "we have too much to lose"...I understand the reason for question 2 and 3....

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Moonshine Pond on July 05, 2007, 10:01:49 am

That's all.

I already did.. a few posts ago. Read more, post less.   NEUTRAL. I graduated from Troy.

I don't see any posts from you that indicate you graduated from Troy until this one.  I guess I could've missed it....
[/quote]

"...I'm not begging the Hogs, nor am I supporting ASU. It's just a neutral obversation, I've..."

switzerland baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 05, 2007, 10:03:49 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:50:16 am

3.) sure Why not...

because some people might not want to play ASU every single year, so we needed a middle ground. If you don't... say NO. If you do but not all the time... select the middle. If you say YES...choose the last.
You missed my point...I don't want to play them but my reason is NOT that we have too much to lose...How do I mark NO with out getting lumped into the group that thinks "we have too much to lose"...I understand the reason for question 2 and 3....

i gotcha now. the best way to do it would have been:

All the time
Occasionally
Never

then if it's no, it's for any number of reasons. It wasn't meant to be scientific... just gauge where most fans were headed with the topic. Sorry for the confusion...  :-[

Jerk Pork

Does the sports open at 6 tonight with the leading line..." Majority of Razorback fans polled don't want to play ASU because they say they have too much to lose"?
I sent an eamil to 40/29 last season about a poll on HDN that I felt had a slanted result as it also used narative type questions...

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 05, 2007, 10:07:56 am
Does the sports open at 6 tonight with the leading line..." Majority of Razorback fans polled don't want to play ASU because they say they have too much to lose"?
I sent an eamil to 40/29 last season about a poll on HDN that I felt had a slanted result as it also used narative type questions...

um... then you probably put more weight on the poll then we do. We don't advertise them as scientific. Just for fun and entertainment. if people don't want to play ASU, regardless of why, they don't want to play them.

Jerk Pork

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 10:12:13 am

um... then you probably put more weight on the poll then we do. We don't advertise them as scientific. Just for fun and entertainment. if people don't want to play ASU, regardless of why, they don't want to play them.
Thanks Mark, you can call me Jerk...three exchanges and we are on a first name basis...I hope you know that this is purely for the entertainment value...

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 05, 2007, 10:33:10 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 10:12:13 am

Thanks Mark, you can call me Jerk...three exchanges and we are on a first name basis...I hope you know that this is purely for the entertainment value...

Entertainment indeed. This place is one continous carnival ride!  :)

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:31:09 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 05, 2007, 08:31:55 am
Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 08:00:08 am
Why is Mark Lericos, a Hogville moderator for the "Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback" forum pushing ASU's agenda?

Or quoting from other boards?

HKS posts here as well, so do you.  And your comments on that board Albert are very similar to the ones you post there. Strange?    ???

Not strange at all.  You haven't answered the question of why you're pushing ASU's agenda.  Has it anything at all to do with you being a graduate of a fellow Sun Belt school?

I've already said I'm no longer opposed to playing the game.  I'm just not on board with playing it under terms and conditions that best suit ASU's agenda.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Mark Lericos

July 05, 2007, 10:43:46 am #111 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:45:42 am by Mark Lericos
Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 10:36:40 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:31:09 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 05, 2007, 08:31:55 am
Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 08:00:08 am
Why is Mark Lericos, a Hogville moderator for the "Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback" forum pushing ASU's agenda?

Or quoting from other boards?

HKS posts here as well, so do you.  And your comments on that board Albert are very similar to the ones you post there. Strange?    ???

Not strange at all.  You haven't answered the question of why you're pushing ASU's agenda.  Has it anything at all to do with you being a graduate of a fellow Sun Belt school?

I've already said I'm no longer opposed to playing the game.  I'm just not on board with playing it under terms and conditions that best suit ASU's agenda.

What is all this about pushing their agenda!!??  Have I said they need to play in Little Rock?  Or a home and home series?  Or every year?  Or split the ticket sales!? 

Albert, listen to me, I am saying there is no reason the two schools shouldn't play each other. It's silly. Whether it's all the time (so the Hogs have a consistent "rival" game) or every 3 or 4 years as a change of pace. I don't care honestly. I get paid regardless of what game I cover.... but the concept of ignoring ASU seems strange.

So where is the agenda?  ???

I'll one up the topic... doesn't have to be ASU, it could be UCA every few years as a Div 1-AA opponent. The hogs already did with ut-Chattanooga... and the Bears are a good team. So now the ASU agenda is off the table completely.

Newport Hog

Arkansas should not play ASU until ASU is in a decent conf like Conf USA or Big 12 or something. Okay let face it there never be in the Big 12 but say Conf USA and a powerhouse at that.  ASU is the scum of College football a bottom feeder that panders for top teams to squash them for  a paycheck lol that pathetic.  Im an ASU grad and I dont have any interest in this game. Arkansas should play Texas,OU,Texas Am or something not ASU.    Oh by the way rumor has it ASU  head coach might accept the OC job at Nelleton High school so what does that tell yea lol

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 10:43:46 am

What is all this about pushing their agenda!!??  Have I said they need to play in Little Rock?  Or a home and home series?  Or every year?  Or split the ticket sales!? 

Albert, listen to me, I am saying there is no reason the two schools shouldn't play each other. It's silly. Whether it's all the time (so the Hogs have a consistent "rival" game) or every 3 or 4 years as a change of pace. I don't care honestly. I get paid regardless of what game I cover.... but the concept of ignoring ASU seems strange.

So where is the agenda?  ???

I'll one up the topic... doesn't have to be ASU, it could be UCA every few years as a Div 1-AA opponent. The hogs already did with ut-Chattanooga... and the Bears are a good team. So now the ASU agenda is off the table completely.

I don't have a problem with it at all.  Do you understand that?  If I've misunderstood your position, I apologize.  After having read a couple of your posts (this being one of them: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=142282.msg2228104#msg2228104) that pretty much summed up the majority of reasons I ever heard from ASU supporters over the years I thought you might have an agenda.

I'm all for playing UCA, I'd even prefer to give them a game before ASU because they've never been so obnoxious as to demand one and print "How long will the Hogs run?" bumper stickers or push a legislative agenda to force the game.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

eclipse

How sad we would have to become if ASU was a "rival" game.

grayhawg

July 05, 2007, 11:54:24 am #115 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:52:12 pm by grayhawg
This is entertaining all right, but until FB is gone this is a dead turkey we are not playing as long as FB has any say. 8)

hogsanity

I say play them under 3 conditions:

1.  Game ALWAYS played in Fayetteville

2.  Game ALWAYS played the after October 20th

3.  If the Hogs win 3 years in a row by over 28pts each time, the series automatically ends, and will NEVER be resumed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Moonshine Pond

Quote from: hogsanity on July 05, 2007, 12:05:02 pm
I say play them under 3 conditions:

1.  Game ALWAYS played in Fayetteville

2.  Game ALWAYS played the after October 20th

3.  If the Hogs win 3 years in a row by over 28pts each time, the series automatically ends, and will NEVER be resumed.

If these were the stipulations, I could handle watching 3 meetings between the two teams, never to see it ever again!

beansandtaters

These arguments are ridiculous. AR and ASU SHOULD play. If we're going to play 4 Sun Belt teams, one of them should at least have something to grasp on to for interest.  The argument that it will split our recruiting is BS. Memphis beat TN once and it really hasn't seemed to hurt them too much. Of course, TN does have a coach that can recruit. 

gostAte

Quote from: Newport Hog on July 05, 2007, 10:46:39 am
Oh by the way rumor has it ASU  head coach might accept the OC job at Nelleton High school so what does that tell yea lol

Wow, where'd you get your information? Cause that is a complete fabrication.

SouthpawSensation

I'll say it again: Don't knock it until you try it.
Until we actually have concrete evidence (a scheduled game between Arkansas and Arkansas State that isn't forced upon us by the NIT), we will never know how much it will help or hurt by the two teams playing each other.
These people that say Arkansas won't benefit from it is making as much bologna as an Oscar Mayer factory because they simply don't know. It's an area that has never been explored as long as Broyles is there, and he really don't know. He just expects us to believe what he says as total gospel.

Bvilleboar

ASU needs the game.  The Razorbacks don't need the game.  I would have no more interest in playing pathetic ASU as any other cupcake they put on the schedule. 

I just don't understand why this is a issue with people.  Razorback fans are never going to be excited about playing ASU.  There is no and never would be any RIVALRY there.  The game would be a joke that people would become tired of after the first year.
2012 the year of the HOGS

DriveByHogger

Quote from: Sao Ming on July 03, 2007, 06:48:48 pm
OU plays Tulsa this year, me thinks...

Ponder.

The problem with this analogy is that Tulsa is a real University with a real football team. Arkansas state is a junior college with no reputation what so ever. If you are willing to stoop so low as to play ASU why not play Nashville High or Little Rock Central? The only reason to ever play ASU would be to beat them so bad that they give up football as a team sport forever and burn down their stadium.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

HawgWyld

Quote from: DriveByHogger on July 05, 2007, 02:22:36 pm
If you are willing to stoop so low as to play ASU why not play Nashville High or Little Rock Central?
That's a hard argument to make with a straight face when you consider that Chattanooga is on the schedule this year...

Mark Lericos

Last I checked ASU went to a bowl game 2 years ago, and beating them would probably help your SOS a lot more than 1-10 Fla International Fighting Protractors.

DriveByHogger

Quote from: HawgWyld on July 05, 2007, 02:24:32 pm
If you are willing to stoop so low as to play ASU why not play Nashville High or Little Rock Central?
That's a hard argument to make with a straight face when you consider that Chattanooga is on the schedule this year...

Not really. I don't agree with playing UT-Chattanooga or what were the directional Louisiana teams either. If we have to play a cupcake then Troy isn't too bad since they usually have a fairly decent team. OOC games should be played against Missouri, TCU, Houston level of teams.

hog.goblin

Ponder.

The problem with this analogy is that Tulsa is a real University with a real football team. Arkansas state is a junior college with no reputation what so ever. If you are willing to stoop so low as to play ASU why not play Nashville High or Little Rock Central? The only reason to ever play ASU would be to beat them so bad that they give up football as a team sport forever and burn down their stadium.

I am against the UA and ASU game because of lost recruiting opportunities.  However, I disagree with your statement.  ASU is not a junior college...maybe you were being sarcastic.  ASU is not much lower than Tulsa in terms of athletics...they are both at/near the bottom.  Tulsa is, by enrollment, the smallest D-1 school in the NCAA.  They have had some good basketball teams thanks to attracting good coaches.  Neither have done much in football but Tulsa has a longer history which has had a few decent moments.

OU has an upside to playing Tulsa...they get more specific exposure in the Tulsa metro area.  A lot of talent comes out of Tulsa.  That is not true of NE Arkansas.

All that being said...I would love to give them one thorough beat down to shut everybody up.

Bvilleboar

Quote from: DriveByHogger on July 05, 2007, 02:29:51 pm

Not really. I don't agree with playing UT-Chattanooga or what were the directional Louisiana teams either. If we have to play a cupcake then Troy isn't too bad since they usually have a fairly decent team. OOC games should be played against Missouri, TCU, Houston level of teams.

I agree.  If we are going to step down from SEC level teams for our OOC games lets not step so LOW down.
2012 the year of the HOGS

HawgWyld

Quote from: DriveByHogger on July 05, 2007, 02:29:51 pm

Not really. I don't agree with playing UT-Chattanooga or what were the directional Louisiana teams either. If we have to play a cupcake then Troy isn't too bad since they usually have a fairly decent team. OOC game should be played against Missouri, TCU, Houston level of teams.
I'd agree with that. The teams lining the OOC schedule are, for the most part, piles of crap. I'd agree with anyone saying we ought to get rid of those miserable games and schedule some games against decent opponents.

I have a problem, however, with the folks who can somehow justify putting junk teams like Chattanooga on the schedule and leaving ASU out in the cold.

DriveByHogger

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 05, 2007, 02:31:06 pm

Ponder.

I am against the UA and ASU game because of lost recruiting opportunities.  However, I disagree with your statement.  ASU is not a junior college...maybe you were being sarcastic.  ASU is not much lower than Tulsa in terms of athletics...they are both at/near the bottom.  Tulsa is, by enrollment, the smallest D-1 school in the NCAA.  They have had some good basketball teams thanks to attracting good coaches.  Neither have done much in football but Tulsa has a longer history which has had a few decent moments.

OU has an upside to playing Tulsa...they get more specific exposure in the Tulsa metro area.  A lot of talent comes out of Tulsa.  That is not true of NE Arkansas.

All that being said...I would love to give them one thorough beat down to shut everybody up.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I am a U of A grad from out of state and as such I may have a slightly different view than most in state Hog fans. When I came to the U of A as a freshman I had never heard of Arkansas State and didn't care one way or another. Living out of state as a U of A grad the only time I hear of them (outside of this UA/ASU game debate on Hog fan boards) is when some stupid OU fan comes up to me and says man we just beat you guys by like 60 points and I have to explain that ASU is not Arkansas.

gostAte

HawgWyld

nm (since the above was erased after I responded)

Mr. Hog

Playing ASU would not effect our strength of schedule one iota.  It would be a rout and the Hogs wouldn't have anything to gain by playing them.

I do wish ASU the best though !
Go Hogs Go!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Mr. Hog on July 05, 2007, 02:59:38 pm
Playing ASU would not effect our strength of schedule one iota.  It would be a rout and the Hogs wouldn't have anything to gain by playing them.

I do wish ASU the best though !

the actual BCS formula would disagree a bunch about that. So would every computer in America for that matter.

Assuming ASU holds steady around 8-4, 9-3, 7-5 even.

some of these non-conference teams are awful.  it's one thing to be small, it's even worse to be small and horrendous on the field. That will literally HURT your SOS.

deshahawg

Moonshine Pond

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 02:29:46 pm

Last I checked ASU went to a bowl game 2 years ago, and beating them would probably help your SOS a lot more than 1-10 Fla International Fighting Protractors.

Do you really think it would make a difference to college football "experts" outside the state of Arkansas?  If we substituted ASU for FIU this year, you don't think they'd still have us at #3 easiest schedule in D-1A football?

Beating ASU would help our SOS no more than us beating FIU, ULM, Tenn-Chat, etc.

HawgWyld

Quote from: deshahawg on July 05, 2007, 03:06:19 pm
It would be pointless!
So what? Our entire nonconference schedule is pointless this year and that's how it typically is...

Moonshine Pond

Ok, you asked for it:

ASU's yearly W-L record since 1990:

90: 3-7-1
91: 1-10
92: 2-9
93: 2-8-1
94: 1-10
95: 6-5
96: 4-7
97: 2-9
98: 4-8
99: 4-7
00: 1-10
01: 2-9
02: 6-7
03: 5-7
04: 3-8
05: 6-6
06: 6-6

Not a step up from any of the teams we play this year out of conference....

DriveByHogger

The problem is that we went from playing teams like Oklahoma State, Tulsa and Ole Miss as OOC opponents in the 70's and 80's to playing Sunbelt conf. teams. I understand that moving the TCU game to allow scheduling of UT for a home and home series affected our OOC schedule but we should never ever play Div I-AA teams.

Albert Einswine

When they went to their bowl game a couple of years ago and had that pitiful little contingent of fans that tagged along you'd have thought they'd be thrilled just to go to their first bowl in D-1, right?

Naw, they had to use the platform to throw shots at the Hogs and Hog fans with ridiculous signs made up for the ESPN cameras.

They used their time in the spotlight (when Arkansas didn't make a bowl game and they weren't in the Hogs shadow) to stir up more stink with regards to this issue when they could have just enjoyed the game and represented their school like good ambassadors.

Not a very bright thing to do if you're trying to win the hearts and minds of those you hope to business with in the future.

bigyellowdog

I agree with you Albert.  I turned on the game and was going to pull for State.  However, after seeing three of their fans holding up signs referencing the Hogs, I pulled for USM.  It showed they were more concerned with the Hogs than enjoying their bowl trip.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 03:21:35 pm

When they went to their bowl game a couple of years ago and had that pitiful little contingent of fans that tagged along you'd have thought they'd be thrilled just to go to their first bowl in D-1, right?

Naw, they had to use the platform to throw shots at the Hogs and Hog fans with ridiculous signs made up for the ESPN cameras.

They used their time in the spotlight (when Arkansas didn't make a bowl game and they weren't in the Hogs shadow) to stir up more stink with regards to this issue when they could have just enjoyed the game and represented their school like good ambassadors.

Not a very bright thing to do if you're trying to win the hearts and minds of those you hope to business with in the future.

That is true I remember that.  Yep, exactly why I'm not in their corner on this issue at all. perhaps a great reason to schedule them, and give the Indians (or whatever they will be called) a lesson in manners, and how to play football.  Of course, I'm still neutral on it.   8)

hog.goblin

Quote from: donewithdale on July 05, 2007, 03:18:29 pm
I can't believe this thread is still going.

To those of you who say we should go no lower than Mizzou, TCU, Houston etc in non conf, do you realize we are in the SEC? And to win the SEC means you have to play a minimum of 12 games and it looks like its about to become 13 every year.  You want us to play Mizzou or TCU and then go to Bama come back and play TCU and Houston and then have to go play Auburn or Tennessee and the rest of the SEC?  When do starters get to rest?  When do key players get to rest nagging injuries? 

And my opinion is still the same on this subject.  We keep playing a couple of Sun Belt schools.  ASU can get paychecks from Tenn, Texas, LSU etc.  And all the Sun Belt is well paid and happy and we get our rent a wins and hopefully helped the depth and durability of our team for the SEC.

Its not the UA's responsibility to help ASU.

And ASU would be the loser if things were ever divided more than they are now.  They can play UCA in the State Regional Agri Teacher School Bowl in LR since both their campuses empty on the weekends anyway.

If 4 Nonconference games are available, give me a solid BCS program (Oregon, Iowa, Georgia Tech, teams that are in the top 5 consistently of their conference); give me one Missouri/TCU type program that is in a good conference but isn't a powerhouse; and two Sun Belt/Big West type teams.  But no 1-AA teams.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas doesn't play A-State because it doesn't need its schedule strength to be even weaker than it already is.
[CENSORED]!

ckf06001

Why doesnt ASU play UCA or Harding i know for a Fact that UCA ask ASU to play every year and they turn them down for football and hardings coach ask every year to play them in Basketball and it doesnt happen. ASU has no room to talk until they play these schools its the same thing that arkansas does to asu i would love to see all these schools play each other but how long will the indians run from HArding and UCA.

SouthpawSensation

ASU playing UCA or Harding in football is the same thing as Arkansas playing Chattanooga. ASU is Division I, UCA is Division I-AA in football and Division I in other sports and Harding is Division II. NCAA Division I schools can only play one game aganst a lower classification every few years.
At least ASU played UCA a couple of years in the mid-90s. They tried to make it work and had pretty good crowds.

ckf06001

They use to but the A.D at UCA calls every week to try and work something out with them and they will not play. There strenght of schedule does not matter for them

Since the advent of Sun Belt football and the new bowl rules, it is now realistic for ASU to aspire to play in a bowl each year.  To qualify they must win the SBC with 6 wins or have 7 to go to another bowl (as Middle Tennessee did last year to go the the Motor City Bowl).  A game against any of the D2 schools does not count toward that number.  A game against UCA in the past would not have counted.  As UCA finishes being a transitional 1aa member and gets its schlorship #s to the required number it will count in the future.  If ASU refuses to play UCA then you might have a point, but not until then.

Prior to playing UCA twice in the late 90s, I believe ASU tried to schedule UAPB and they were not interested.

My recollection is that ASU has played Harding in both basketball and baseball in recent years.  The basketball game may have been an exhibition game.

Speaking of that, don't you know that any of the Arkansas d2 men's or women's basketball teams would be thrilled to get to play an exhibition game in Barnhill Arena against the hogs or lady hogs.  Instead the hogs played Xavier (New Orleans) and California University of Pa. and the lady hogs played Missouri Southern. 

Justifiable Hogicide

July 05, 2007, 05:45:49 pm #148 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:19:06 pm by Justifiable Hogicide
Only on one condition:

Play them once.

Take the number of points Arkansas beats them by.

Then the ASU (insert mascot name, to be determined) nor anyone else can't even mention the Hogs playing them again for that number of years.

:razorback:

gomersnerd

Quote from: Moonshine Pond on July 05, 2007, 03:14:46 pm
Ok, you asked for it:

ASU's yearly W-L record since 1990:

90: 3-7-1
91: 1-10
92: 2-9
93: 2-8-1
94: 1-10
95: 6-5
96: 4-7
97: 2-9
98: 4-8
99: 4-7
00: 1-10
01: 2-9
02: 6-7
03: 5-7
04: 3-8
05: 6-6
06: 6-6

Not a step up from any of the teams we play this year out of conference....

this is why the pigs are afraid of playing them

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf1975.htm
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".