Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State = New Mascot!

Started by MobHog, June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MobHog

The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=925876

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??

Rooka

We dont really care because we knew it was coming ever since they first issued that the NCAA would not allow Indian Mascots.  I am mad that they are taking it away and so are many on the ASU board, but I am pretty anxious to see what we will be called, and yea I know let the ASU hate show and come up with some retarded name to give us.

GO HOGS! GO INDIANS!

Newport Hog

Its funny thou, ASU is such a joke!!!!  ASU probably will try to become the razorbacks or hogs or something lol

MobHog

budcampbellfan

They ought to bring back "Jumpin' Joe" as a protest to the NCAA.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

HogISH™

who is arkansas state? they have athletics?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Anon2

Can't believe they may get a marketing firm to help in finding a new name.  Are their students not smart enough to recommend a name for their mascot?

Landonhog

Quote from: donewithdale on June 19, 2007, 03:00:39 pm
Quote from: MobHog on June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm
The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??

I think its stupid.  PC is out of control. 

Very true... 

Rooka

Quote from: Anon2 on June 19, 2007, 03:09:45 pm
Can't believe they may get a marketing firm to help in finding a new name.  Are their students not smart enough to recommend a name for their mascot?
I really dont know what the deal is with that, but they have said that more than likely it will be the alumni, students, and fans that get to make suggestions for the new mascot.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Anon2 on June 19, 2007, 03:09:45 pm

several of our students dont even know that we have a football team...   so the answer is no
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

DEVIL DOG HOG

My high school is called the Chieftains, the local Indian tribe didn't want a name change. Just a costume change worn by the majorettes in the band, no more the long headdress - feathers, a new logo to better fit the Indians of our area.  The school board also started an American Indians class, showing the positive side of Americans Indians.

IMO the people that don't want the reference to Indians at any level are missing the boat as far as furthering their image by not asking favors for use of the name Indians such as American Indian Studies and scholarships for their people.  They can also have a say in school logos and mascots.  
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

DEVIL DOG HOG

ASU Flaming Armadillos.

Just think of what their mascot would look like.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

StoernerJonesFan

The University of Broyles
The Fighting Nutts (mascot will be one of houston's many clever facial expressions, see DEVICEHIGH's forum for examples)

Apparently they wouldnt care, seeing as what they've let slide thus far.

kitshicker

Quote from: Newport Hog on June 19, 2007, 03:03:36 pm
Its funny thou, ASU is such a joke!!!!  ASU probably will try to become the razorbacks or hogs or something lol
I wouldn't consider them a joke........they made it to a bowl game a few years ago when we (Razorbacks) didn't. I'm not a huge ASU fan, but I want them to do good.

MobHog

Do you think they could get away with being the Tomahawks??

budcampbellfan

June 19, 2007, 03:21:03 pm #15 Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:06:51 pm by budcampbellfan
I think the NCAA should file suit against all the "Scalpers" that hang out on street corners near all big college games.  That name is just offensive! :D
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

hawgwilde

I think they should be called the Red Budgets! ;)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

ste4236

Northeastern State in Tahlequah, Okla. is becoming the Riverhawks from the Redmen either this upcoming year or the next. Seems to be quite a bit of this going on.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

Hogchick

Rooka

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on June 19, 2007, 03:17:19 pm
ASU Flaming Armadillos.Just think of what their mascot would look like.

The ASPCA wouldn't approve.   ;)
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

kitshicker

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on June 19, 2007, 03:47:47 pm

Much less PETA.

hawgwilde

How 'bout the Fred's Scholarship Slammers?
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: kitshicker on June 19, 2007, 03:48:48 pm
Quote from: longtimeHogfan on June 19, 2007, 03:47:47 pm

Much less PETA.

Would they be upset about the flaming part or the ASU part?

Both are cruel and unusual..........

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Newport Hog on June 19, 2007, 03:03:36 pm
Your momma.

Kicking Wing

Rooka

Kicking Wing

Quote from: MobHog on June 19, 2007, 03:18:42 pm
Do you think they could get away with being the Tomahawks??
That's actually pretty good.

bd93

Most of Jonesboro doesn't care because they care about the Hogs and not the Indians.

Dr Swineglove

As a person of mixed Irish-American ancestry, I am deeply insulted that Notre Dame persists in using a drunken, brawling, pint-sized Gaelic-looking dude in a bowler hat with a shamrock as it's mascot; the only thing missing is the IRA car bomb an pint o'Guiness - it's insulting to we Irish-Americans (sarcasm).  

Seriously, I think caricatures such as ASU's Injun Joe are obviously buying into a negative stereotype; it's not too far removed from a Sambo doll, really.  IMO, the most sensible thing to do would be to use images that are respectful, and if local native American tribes object to the imagery used, then it's an issue that should be addressed on an individual basis (i.e. not the NCAA telling Americans, including native Americans, what is good for the native Americans...).
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

pioneerhog

Quote from: Death by Hog on June 19, 2007, 03:37:01 pm
Quote from: Hogchick on June 19, 2007, 03:36:22 pm
Arkansas State = Who cares
Arkansas State= I care.
DBH, as a fan of both schools I can tell you it is best if you never click on a ASU thread on this board. Most of the time all it will do is piss you off. This is a Razorback board anyway so this shouldn't come as much of a suprise, this is also why I go to Tribalgrounds to talk about the Tribe.

Conway Cool Daddy

As a drunk street fighter I'm sick of being associated with the Irish and with Notre Dame.

;)

cityhog

I don't find anything wrong with the name Indians as long as the mascot and logo are respectful to Native Americans.  What I do find offensive are logos like the Cleveland Indians smiling Indian, and the most racist name in all of sports...The Washington Redskins.  I cannot believe in DC of all places that team name still survives.  Considering the insidious plan to wipe out Native Americans was birthed in that city I find it ironic at best that they "honor" Native Americans with that name.  To me it is akin to having the NFL team named the LA Wetbacks, or a new minor league baseball team named the Arkansas Racist Hillbillies.  OK, off my soapbox now. 

I hope ASU goes with something to do with the river.

HamHands

I am sure there is some Hog somewhere that IS offended by the U of A mascot.

How about the Arkansas State Crackers or ASU Honkies. What response would that get? We are going to PC ourselves right out of a country. It is ridiculous!
One day at a time.

cityhog

cityhog

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on June 19, 2007, 04:02:20 pm
As a person of mixed Irish-American ancestry, I am deeply insulted that Notre Dame persists in using a drunken, brawling, pint-sized Gaelic-looking dude in a bowler hat with a shamrock as it's mascot; the only thing missing is the IRA car bomb an pint o'Guiness - it's insulting to we Irish-Americans (sarcasm).  

Seriously, I think caricatures such as ASU's Injun Joe are obviously buying into a negative stereotype; it's not too far removed from a Sambo doll, really.  IMO, the most sensible thing to do would be to use images that are respectful, and if local native American tribes object to the imagery used, then it's an issue that should be addressed on an individual basis (i.e. not the NCAA telling Americans, including native Americans, what is good for the native Americans...).

What he said.

oops double post.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: cityhog on June 19, 2007, 04:05:25 pm
I don't find anything wrong with the name Indians as long as the mascot and logo are respectful to Native Americans.  What I do find offensive are logos like the Cleveland Indians smiling Indian, and the most racist name in all of sports...The Washington Redskins.  I cannot believe in DC of all places that team name still survives.  Considering the insidious plan to wipe out Native Americans was birthed in that city I find it ironic at best that they "honor" Native Americans with that name.  To me it is akin to having the NFL team named the LA Wetbacks, or a new minor league baseball team named the Arkansas Racist Hillbillies.  OK, off my soapbox now. 

I hope ASU goes with something to do with the river.

Chris Rock once said the Washington Redskins was akin to the New York Ni**as.
I can't believe they still insist on using this name. I think in most cases the pc thing is overboard but
in a few there definitely needs to be changes made.

Wash Hogwallop

Way to cave boys, good job.  I guess they could become the big red french ticklers since they already have the mascot costume.

BTW, Tennessee has just passed a law that high schools cannot be sued to change their mascots if they are indians. 

Immensehog

Then what the hell is this thing they have been sporting for  several years?

Life is short.  Act accordingly.

cityhog

Quote from: HoginHeat on June 19, 2007, 04:06:36 pm
I am sure there is some Hog somewhere that IS offended by the U of A mascot.

How about the Arkansas State Crackers or ASU Honkies. What response would that get? We are going to PC ourselves right out of a country. It is ridiculous!

As a cracker/honkie I wouldn't like it one bit.  Just as I am sure Native Americans don't like seeing teams/logos modeled after racial stereotypes. 

Torqued pork

If I was an IndianNative American, I wouldn't want to be associated with a perrinial loser like ASU football either.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on June 19, 2007, 04:13:33 pm
If I was an IndianNative American, I wouldn't want to be associated with a perrinial loser like ASU football either.
The feeling is "mutuel".

DEVIL DOG HOG

Believe it or not the Cleveland Indians logo was designed by an Indian Chief.

GO GREEN!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Immensehog on June 19, 2007, 04:10:42 pm
Then what the hell is this thing they have been sporting for  several years?

That is what we call a "spirit character".  Once they neutered our Indians, we couldn't have the mascot interacting with kids, dancing, etc. for fear of being "insensitive", so that character, which has one numerous awards, was created for the kids.

As bad as it seemed at first, it has gone over quite well.

I don't want to change, but if our Indians cna't do anything but sit in the teepee then it is time to make a change.

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ste4236 on June 19, 2007, 03:35:23 pm

Northeastern State in Tahlequah, Okla. is becoming the Riverhawks from the Redmen either this upcoming year or the next. Seems to be quite a bit of this going on.

Unless it's Florida St.  They have the money and power to avoid the wave of PCness.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Rey Pygsterio

How about this for a new ASU mascot - the Arkansas State Engines.

Eh, you hear me, people, on this? It's brilliant for so many reasons.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

beansandtaters

Quote from: rlh06 on June 19, 2007, 04:27:54 pm
Quote from: ste4236 on June 19, 2007, 03:35:23 pm

Unless it's Florida St.  They have the money and power to avoid the wave of PCness.

Exactly. That's the hypocrisy in the NCAA. Because the Seminole Tribe of FL said they didn't mind FSU's mascot, they get to keep it.  I mean, if it's wrong it's wrong, right?  The precedent they are setting by distinguishing who loses their mascot based on PC opposition could end up blowing up in their face later on down the line. Think about when all the huggers finally start getting upset about the Hawaii Rainbows  :P

hoghearted

Engines/'Injuns', Rey? You sly devil.

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

THHAWG

FSU has the approval of the Seminoles.  Native Americans did not call themselves Indians or Native Americans.  They called themselves, Cherokee, Seminole, Choctaw, Apache, Comanche, Creek, etc.  Any NCAA tema can keep their mascot if they get approval formt he tribe they represent (honor).  Example would be ASU Cherokees (assuming the Cherokee nation east/west would approve).  It is overly PC but who gets to decide which Indian mascots/ logos are offensive and which are not if not the specific tribes.