Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How long before UCA is a major football program in Arkansas.

Started by lockmaster, May 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lockmaster

I thought I would ask this question. I think with the location and the fast growth it won't be that long. ;D
GO BEARS

arkjay19

another 10 years.

they did GREAT their first year in Div 1AA, but they'll have to do much more there before they move up to Div 1A.

okiehawg

Quote from: Box Swine on May 09, 2007, 01:00:34 pm
Another 20.

I would say at least 20 before they are D 1A.  Do they currently have more people in attendance at their football games than Arkansas State? 

HawgWyld

Quote from: locknuts_up on May 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm
I thought I would ask this question. I think with the location and the fast growth it won't be that long. ;D
GO BEARS
Without Frank around to keep his foot on their collective necks, they may turn into an impressive team one day. I doubt they'll ever rival the Hogs, but they should find some success.

Ex-Trumpet

Depends on what your definition of "major" is...

I'm leaning towards "never!"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

edt

razorpimp

Don't count out ol' Lou Harden....that guy is a shrewd businessman.......

oldbear

It will be hard.  I played there in the 80s, so I would love for them to be a player, but I believe in order to get to be big time, they need more money than what a state with the population of Arkansas can offer.  Who knows though.  Mississippi has two SEC schools.  Surely we are not that far behind.

coachp

Never will happen!  Do not like being negative but I have to tell the truth as I see it.

bosshawg38

As a UCA student, I believe it will be a very long time before UCA becomes a legitimate D-1 football team, if at all. There is much work to be done. The attendance needs to increase. I'm not sure as to what ASU draws on a regular basis, but UCA does not fill the stadium up regularly enough as it is. The tailgating on Bruce Street is helping, but attendance still needs to increase.

hogsanity

They will be a "major" program in the state as soon as people start FOi'ing the coaches records, whining every time some kid they are recruiting goes elsewhere, calling for a coach to be fired because 2 players out of 100+ leave, protesting the coach after a 10 win season.  Then and only then will they be a major program in the state.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

joshUCA

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2007, 01:34:43 pm
They will be a "major" program in the state as soon as people start FOi'ing the coaches records, whining every time some kid they are recruiting goes elsewhere, calling for a coach to be fired because 2 players out of 100+ leave, protesting the coach after a 10 win season.  Then and only then will they be a major program in the state.

Priceless...+1

joshUCA

Quote from: bosshawg38 on May 09, 2007, 01:16:55 pm
As a UCA student, I believe it will be a very long time before UCA becomes a legitimate D-1 football team, if at all. There is much work to be done. The attendance needs to increase. I'm not sure as to what ASU draws on a regular basis, but UCA does not fill the stadium up regularly enough as it is. The tailgating on Bruce Street is helping, but attendance still needs to increase.

All good and valid points!

NorthStHog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2007, 01:34:43 pm

Funny......and oh yeah..... maybe 50 years.
Go Hogs!

krack1925

Quote.  Mississippi has two SEC schools.  Surely we are not that far behind.
Two bad SEC schools....

BRizzleDizzle

never...I'd rather ASU in the SEC then UCA any day of the week.

tophawg19

if we keep nutt they may be the best team in arkansas very soon .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Boar in the USA

It's up to UAF. If they continue to embrace central Arkansas (principally by playing games at WMS) then UCA's progression will stall out at lower-tier DI (like ASU). However, if the divide between the NW and central regions continues to expand, UCA could have a nice D1 program in 7-10 years. There is a lot of talent in central Arkansas and I bet UCA wouldn't mind playing most of their home games at a refurbished WMS. Think how visible that football team would be in the Little Rock metropolitan area. You would, eventually, have some good players coming through the Little Rock and North Little Rock high schools who are UCA fans.

If you imagine how good Ole Miss could be if Miss St. did not have a major college football program, you can see what a disaster it would be to allow UCA to build a substantial D1 program.

razornole

Depends how long the coaching situation on the hill is a joke.  IF ddw is there until 2012, I'd say there will be many more fans of the program in Conway
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

VenturaHog

I doubt ASU will ever reach higher than they have already, wheras UCA is in a much better location and seems to be building serious momentum.

DeltaBoy

UCA growth as a Major player depends on how soon the UA pulls out of playing in LR all together unless LR build a new staduim .  If UA pulls out and LR then remodels WMC the UCA could make a major move. ASU is too close to Memphis to ever get beyond the Sunbelt or CUSA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

beansandtaters

UCA being in a better location is debatable in a football sense. The Hogs own central AR much more than they do Northeast AR. Because of that, ASU is able to steal a few gems from that side of the state every year. UCA will not get good players from central AR as long as the Hogs have the presence they have now and will remain a D1AA school.

Doug

Here's the thing that y'all need to keep in mind.... Lou Harden is a GREAT Chancellor and will do everything he can to keep UCA growing.

There are over 12000 students now attending UCA, and the university is scrambling to build more housing and expand current facilities.  Unless I'm mistaken, this is a direct result of Chancellor Harden's influence.  From their news archives from September, 2006:

QuoteUCA sets fourth consecutive enrollment record
The University of Central Arkansas has set another record enrollment this fall of 12,400 students, making UCA the second largest college in Arkansas.

Since Lu Hardin assumed the presidency in September 2002, UCA has added nearly 4,000 students, increasing from 8,500 students to 12,400 students. This represents a 46 percent increase in four years.

Another bonus:  Coach Clint Conque has a serious commitment to winning and strong leadership.  He's authorative, yet handles things as a father would.  Did you know that with the record they had last year (first year in Div 1AA), they would have qualified for a bowl, had it not been for the "initiation" thaty they are in (cannot be in a bowl game in any sport for the first two or three years, I forget which).

Have a peek at Coach Conque's history here:  http://www.purplebears.net/football/coaches.php

Granted, the other sports are struggling, however, it looks like they're going to turn around over the next few years, as the whole school benefits from the additional exposure from moving into the SLC.

And last, but certainly NOT least, the UCA is extremely fan friendly.  Look for SouthernSportsMedia to have a M.O.A.T in Conway at some point this year.  :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

mj4president

The WORLD will end before that happens. Seriously no joking the world will end before that happens. I am giving the world 200 more years TOPS. Everything is going down hill.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

UAfan

They'll be better than asu eventually, but no more than that.

hardcorehogfan

i think uca is going down a different road.  they will take the lessons learned by ASU.  they will look to be very competitive in the league that they are in as opposed to getting into a bigger league and getting dominated and having to play money games.  i look for them to have a quality program, but only as a mid major.  i do not think they will try to compete head on with the u of a.  there main focus will be academics.  however, if it is done right (top of the line stadiums, game atmosphere) it could be very exciting to follow them.

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Dr Swineglove

A major impediment for UCA getting big-time would be the difficulty of getting into a major conference.
A program doesn't have the resources to really compete unless it's in a major conference, but no major
conference would invite them unless they were already big-time. It's a catch-22, and one of the major reasons
there isn't a lot of upward mobility in college football.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

mword

cosmodrum

It's easy to say never, but who knows? I began attending UCA in 97 (yes, I grauated), and the school is leaps and bounds from where it was. They also have an excellent coaching staff. They even had a kid (Jacob Ford) drafted by the Titans, after their first year in D1. Maybe, it will never happen, but Lu Hardin is definitely paving the way.

Go away, batin'

ms_hog

Quote from: hardcorehogfan on May 09, 2007, 03:42:14 pm
i think uca is going down a different road.  they will take the lessons learned by ASU.  they will look to be very competitive in the league that they are in as opposed to getting into a bigger league and getting dominated and having to play money games.  i look for them to have a quality program, but only as a mid major.  i do not think they will try to compete head on with the u of a.  there main focus will be academics.  however, if it is done right (top of the line stadiums, game atmosphere) it could be very exciting to follow them.

I would have to agree.  ASU is hell bent in competing on the level of the UA and because of that, they have lost ground to UCA.  Being a UCA graduate myself, I think it would be the wiser course to hang out in D1AA football.  However, I'm not sure how well their other sports will do.

lockmaster

I would love to go watch the bears play at WMS against ok. state ........my brothers out of tulsu and he's a cowboy fan.
GO BEARS

RBLtoHOG

the year 5020... but most think that the world as we know it will be destroyed by then
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

lockmaster

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on May 09, 2007, 05:53:24 pm
the year 5020... but most think that the world as we know it will be destroyed by then

thats about the same time that nutt is gone? or the hogs have a passing game?

pigsooiec5

I am a recent UCA alum and an UA grad student.  Here's the thing, I think UCA can have some pretty good success at the level they are at right now, but it would be very difficult for them to be a big time program.  First off, they weren't even dominant at the DII level of Football.  My senior year they went to the DII semi finals or quarterfinals and that was their most successful year at the DII level.  They did win a couple of national titles in NAIA, but come on, that barely counts.  Furthermore, from what I know, they've never had ANY major success in basketball.  They made it to the 1st or 2nd rd of the NCAA DII tournament a couple of times while i was there, I think.  At the DII level, women's basketball is where they had the most success.  I think they were in the national championship game and lost on a 3 pointer at the buzzer from the other team, IIRC. 

UCA is building some very nice facilities for football, no doubt, but I don't see them becoming a dominant powerhouse.  In basketball, they might make the tournament eventually, but they desperately need to make some cosmetic renovations to their arena.  If I were a decent recruit, there's no way I'd sign up to play hoops at UCA after seeing the arena, it's just tacky looking, never full, and not loud.

razorbackcaller

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imahoggie

Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: locknuts_up on May 09, 2007, 05:55:43 pm
Quote from: RBLtoHOG on May 09, 2007, 05:53:24 pm

thats about the same time that nutt is gone? or the hogs have a passing game?

God I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

hogsrock

Quote from: locknuts_up on May 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm
GO BEARS

When pigs fly.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

Kicking Wing

Major in D1AA?  Probably 10 years.  Major in D1?  Not likely ever.  A low D1 with more exposure than they get at D1AA and better facilities and fan interest?  Hard to say, but some day.

You can tell it's the offseason by this thread.

A few facts about this subject:

1.  UCA drew around 7500 in its first year of D1AA.  There is room for growth.  ASU draws 17K per game and for decent opponents (Memphis, OSU, Army, Tulsa) they will draw 23-30K.  So, as someone asked earlier, they aren't equal in attendance or even close at this point.

2.  A lot of people seem to forget that ASU had great success at the small college level (a national title) and the D1AA (played in the championship) before moving to D1 without much of a conference affiliation in 1992.  The thing about all that D1AA success is that the crowds were smaller for playoff games at that level than an average regular season game at the D1 level.  The facilities are light years ahead since Coach Roberts has come on board as well.

3.  UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.

4.  Little Rock is vital for recruiting students and Hardin realized that asset.  However, this isn't high school and enrollment has almost nothing to do with athletic success.  In many ways, central AR is a stronger base for the hogs than even NW AR.  If being in central AR were so beneficial, when is UALR going to become a basktball power?  The real truth is that there are lots of twons smaller than Little Rock that have great programs and lots of places much larger than LR or Fayetteville that have horrible programs. 

5.  UCA had a nice first year last year with 21 of the best seniors from their d2 team the year before.  They beat 4 D2 teams, 1 D1AA team with a 6-5 record and 3 D1AA teams with losing records.   It was a nice transition, but with no D2 teams on the schedule, going to La Tech and replacing 9 defensive starters, they are likely to take a step back this year.

I think UCA will develop into a good D1AA program and hopefully even join the Sunbelt eventually.  Either way I can't wait for ASU to start playing them.  I remember all too well the hubris that comes with success at a lower level (i.e. the "How long will the hogs run" fiasco) and I see some of that right now by the "UCA is going to be a major power in D1" crowd.  Granted, most of the people saying such are hog fans and not the hardcore UCA folks.   

Conway4Hogs

QuoteUCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.{/quote}

They already get recruits that have offers from ASU...UCA doesnt aspire to be the Uof A but they want to field a competitive sports program in sports other than football as well.
They will never be stronger than the Razorbacks but I would be willing to wager they pass ASU within 5 years

chiefsfan

Quote from: Conway4Hogs on May 09, 2007, 10:32:29 pm
UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.{/quote}

They already get recruits that have offers from ASU...UCA doesnt aspire to be the Uof A but they want to field a competitive sports program in sports other than football as well.
They will never be stronger than the Razorbacks but I would be willing to wager they pass ASU within 5 years

Pass ASU in 5 years?  Now THAT is funny.  UCA wont even be eligible for D1AA playoff berths for 3 more years, and they'll have passed a Division 1 program by then?

They could pass ASU, eventually, it is possible.  But UCA is hardly stealing recruits away from ASU at this point, they may take 1 or 2 guys away, that we MIGHT offer a scholly...  but they may be more interested in the honors program at UCA or something

UCA doesnt have the facilities to pass anyone in D1 at this time.  Their baseball field doesnt have lights
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Justifiable Hogicide

A.S.T.C. a major D-1 football program?

Never.

:razorback:

chiefsfan

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 09, 2007, 11:50:50 pm

A.S.T.C. a major D-1 football program?

Never.

:razorback:

I agree.  No chance on earth.   I dont mind seeing UCA win, but they have no chance
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

lateshow

Quote from: Conway4Hogs on May 09, 2007, 10:32:29 pm
QuoteUCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.{/quote}

You need to double check your info homeboy. Tell me who signed with UCA that had an OFFER ON THE TABLE from ASU?

treyuca

Quote from: Douglas on May 09, 2007, 02:27:42 pm
Here's the thing that y'all need to keep in mind.... Lou Harden is a GREAT Chancellor and will do everything he can to keep UCA growing.

There are over 12000 students now attending UCA, and the university is scrambling to build more housing and expand current facilities.  Unless I'm mistaken, this is a direct result of Chancellor Harden's influence.  From their news archives from September, 2006:

QuoteUCA sets fourth consecutive enrollment record
The University of Central Arkansas has set another record enrollment this fall of 12,400 students, making UCA the second largest college in Arkansas.

Since Lu Hardin assumed the presidency in September 2002, UCA has added nearly 4,000 students, increasing from 8,500 students to 12,400 students. This represents a 46 percent increase in four years.

Another bonus:  Coach Clint Conque has a serious commitment to winning and strong leadership.  He's authorative, yet handles things as a father would.  Did you know that with the record they had last year (first year in Div 1AA), they would have qualified for a bowl, had it not been for the "initiation" thaty they are in (cannot be in a bowl game in any sport for the first two or three years, I forget which).

Have a peek at Coach Conque's history here:  http://www.purplebears.net/football/coaches.php

Granted, the other sports are struggling, however, it looks like they're going to turn around over the next few years, as the whole school benefits from the additional exposure from moving into the SLC.

And last, but certainly NOT least, the UCA is extremely fan friendly.  Look for SouthernSportsMedia to have a M.O.A.T in Conway at some point this year.  :D
You might not be mistaken about the cause of the spike in enrollment, but that's just about the only thing you got right in your entire post. Please stop taking up for us. There are so many errors in your post it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. I mean, you quote a story that calls Lu, not Lou, the president of the university. And I'm sure President Hardin, not Harden, would be thrilled to find out - along with the rest of the FBS, that's the new name for I-AA, world – that there are bowl games. That's just great news. It's two bad that in five years, not two or three, we'll only be eligible for the playoffs. Maybe Coach Conque has pulled some strings to get us into one of those bowls you speak of.

If you actually want to learn some things about UCA, go to ucafans.com and read – a lot. Sure, there aren't that many members, but the most of the folks there know what they are talking about.