Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Court Proposal

Started by Oklahawg, February 12, 2018, 06:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgball40

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 11:40:57 am
And irrelevant, it's not unusual for new hires to start out higher than the outgoing coach, deservingly or not. It's what the market demands. And typically long-term employees pay gets stagnant over time as they become comfortable with where they are.
irrelevant to you, but optics were probably of high priority to the lawyer(s) managing the case on behalf of the UofA.

hogfan10

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2018, 12:03:40 pm
It was absolutely relevant. One of the key points in Richardson's lawsuit was that white coaches at UA were treated differently than him. Hiring a white coach with less of a resume for more money would have been exactly on point.

Heath was hired for less. Self was hired for less at Illinois. The point wasnt that Self wasnt worth more than $1.03 million. Heck yeah he was. The problem was paying Richardson less.

Like I said, it requires critical thinking to see the issue. Had they been able to hire Self for what they hired Heath they would have. That's not a position Richardson put them in. It was a position they put themselves in.

Was it relevant to who Arkansas chose to hire as NR replacement, yes I agree that it was. Should it have been, no I don't think it should have been.
Other coaches could have been treated differently than NR was for any number of reasons that don't include racism. Those reasons could be because of which program they coached (HN coached a higher profile program in football), or possibly other coaches in lower profile positions (baseball/track/etc.) were just more enjoyable to be around and didn't have to have their ego stroked nonstop.
Maybe JM (track) should have sued because he was paid less than the basketball coach who only won 1 NC compared to JM's 42, was JM possibly paid less due to him not being black?

hogfan10

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 14, 2018, 12:10:35 pm
irrelevant to you, but optics were probably of high priority to the lawyer(s) managing the case on behalf of the UofA.

I agree with you. But, what the new coach was going to be paid s/h been irrelevant to what the outgoing coach was paid. The market changes each year.
Example, the 49rs just made their QB the highest paid player in the NFL. Does he deserve it, or is that what the market demands?

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2018, 11:20:56 am
Again, the point wasn’t that Self was white, but that they would have had to pay an up and coming white coach more than they were paying an established future HOF black coach. Not a good look legally or in the press. I’m thinking maybe some people here can’t think critically. Ask yourself why they would have been willing to pay the white guy more and then ask how long it would have taken Nolan’s lawyers to ask it in court.

Wrong. Once again, pure and simple, John White wanted a black coach hired so Arkansas wouldn't look racist in court. Self was rejected by John White because his skin was the wrong color.

Look, I fully support naming the court in BWA after Nolan but this blatant attempt to rewrite history needs to stop.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 01:33:02 pm
Wrong. Once again, pure and simple, John White wanted a black coach hired so Arkansas wouldn't look racist in court. Self was rejected by John White because his skin was the wrong color.

Look, I fully support naming the court in BWA after Nolan but this blatant attempt to rewrite history needs to stop.

Guv, I don't think you understand how rewriting history works. There can't be a rewrite of something that was never written in the first place. Show us where this history you speak of was initially written. Got a link?
Hogs up! Covid down!

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 11:35:29 am
Exactly, he didn't in those instances. But, we're to believe he did with regard to his employment at the UA. With the exception of being treated differently than other coaches, all of those instances were fan related. As far as treatment of coaches; different programs, job expectations/responsibilities, program revenues, etc. The jobs aren't the same.
The CEO of Budweiser probably makes more than the CEO of yuengling (sp?). I like like yuengling (sp?) better, but you know, so.

He did when it came to his job expectations and treatment. Remember the famous news conference we thought it was about the NCAA investigation (paraphrasing) when he said he didn't come over here like everyone else. And that he expected to be treated better...but he knew he wasn't treated like everyone else. Everyone was wondering what he talking about. You are right knowing Nolan why would anyone expect him to run off or quit because things got tough! Had he left...that would have been a sure sign that he was not discriminated against! Nolan NEVER would have gave Frank the satisfaction that he made him quit. It cost him his career but if you asked Nolan right now if he had it to do it over I bet he would say he wouldn't change a thing.

zebradynasty

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2018, 01:42:07 pm
Guv, I don't think you understand how rewriting history works. There can't be a rewrite of something that was never written in the first place. Show us where this history you speak of was initially written. Got a link?

LOL! ;D

hawg66

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 01:26:59 pm
Was it relevant to who Arkansas chose to hire as NR replacement, yes I agree that it was. Should it have been, no I don't think it should have been.
Exactly. It shouldn't be an issue what color a coach's skin is. Yet it was. If they were paying Nolan fairly they could have hired any up and comer they wanted, and it wouldn't have mattered what color he was. Because a NC coach wasn't being paid the school handcuffed themselves. Was Nolan well paid? Sure. Was it in line with what a white coach of similar abilities would have been earning?  The university hiring of Heath should be your answer.

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 02:53:00 pm
He did when it came to his job expectations and treatment. Remember the famous news conference we thought it was about the NCAA investigation (paraphrasing) when he said he didn't come over here like everyone else. And that he expected to be treated better...but he knew he wasn't treated like everyone else. Everyone was wondering what he talking about. You are right knowing Nolan why would anyone expect him to run off or quit because things got tough! Had he left...that would have been a sure sign that he was not discriminated against! Nolan NEVER would have gave Frank the satisfaction that he made him quit. It cost him his career but if you asked Nolan right now if he had it to do it over I bet he would say he wouldn't change a thing.

I tend to agree with the not quitting part, but a few comments (from NR) here and there over an 18 year period doesn't say much. It's pretty obvious and understandable to everyone but NR why football and it's coaches would get priority over any other sport at the UA.

hogfan10

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2018, 03:08:13 pm
Exactly. It shouldn't be an issue what color a coach's skin is. Yet it was. If they were paying Nolan fairly they could have hired any up and comer they wanted, and it wouldn't have mattered what color he was. Because a NC coach wasn't being paid the school handcuffed themselves. Was Nolan well paid? Sure. Was it in line with what a white coach of similar abilities would have been earning?  The university hiring of Heath should be your answer.

But, they were paying NR fairly. At one point in his Arkansas career he was a top 5 paid coach. IDK for sure, but I'd bet he was a top 10-15 paid coach when he was fired.

HeyHogs

This is a no brainer!  Nolan Richardson Court at BWA.  DO IT NOW! >:(

99toLife

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 14, 2018, 03:37:45 pm
This is a no brainer!  Nolan Richardson Court at BWA.  DO IT NOW! >:(
Probably not going to happen in the near future..

GuvHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 03:15:48 pm
But, they were paying NR fairly. At one point in his Arkansas career he was a top 5 paid coach. IDK for sure, but I’d bet he was a top 10-15 paid coach when he was fired.

Exactly. Nolan was among the highest paid College Basketball head Coaches in the USA. In his mind he believed that he should have been receiving the same pay as Houston Nutt but at a Football first school like Arkansas, that wasn't going to happen. No U of A head basketball coach will ever make as much as a U of A head football coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Porknoxville

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 05:16:51 pm
Exactly. Nolan was among the highest paid College Basketball head Coaches in the USA. In his mind he believed that he should have been receiving the same pay as Houston Nutt but at a Football first school like Arkansas, that wasn't going to happen. No U of A head basketball coach will ever make as much as a U of A head football coach.
So sorry dude as much as I'd like to agree with you outside of University of Arkansas circles, Arkansas is looked as at as a basketball / baseball School. Although we have been pretty mediocre in basketball these past few years.
Nolan deserves no he more than deserves to have that Court named in his name. Frank Broyles was a complete dick head to him and his staff. Throw in there John White also.

hogfan10

Quote from: Porknoxville on February 14, 2018, 05:48:29 pm
So sorry dude as much as I'd like to agree with you outside of University of Arkansas circles, Arkansas is looked as at as a basketball / baseball School. Although we have been pretty mediocre in basketball these past few years.
Nolan deserves no he more than deserves to have that Court named in his name. Frank Broyles was a complete dick head to him and his staff. Throw in there John White also.

But he was employed by the UA, which prioritizes football above basketball; just like all but a few P5 schools do. Football has and always will far out perform the others in terms of revenues and attention. Right or wrong that's just the way it is.
By NRs standards DVH should be making more than the basketball/football coaches, and JM (track) should have made more than NR if wins/losses/championships is the only determining factor. Everything is not black and white, there can and is other factors involved.

Oh, and I don't know if FB was a jerk to NR or not, but I do know that FB is who hired NR. Maybe NR was the jerk toward FB.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 12:00:27 pm
And, most likely, most of your worst basketball memories (last 16 years) are also because of NR.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang