Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting line-up

Started by parallaxpig, February 11, 2018, 07:30:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

When will DVH release Friday's starting line-up. Curious to see how many starters from last year don't make the field in first game.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

arthurhawgerelli

Couple of possible starters dinged up last week in practice. Wouldn't be surprised to not see a starting line up announced until the day of the game. Seemingly overcomeable dings.

bjeffersonhog

Just like every year, you will probably see a lot of different lineups early in the year until Van Horn is happy with what he sees.  I wouldn't read a whole lot into who does and does not start opening day.

ucahogfan

What makes you think any starter from last year would not make the field in the first game?

Our offense was one of the top in the country last year and we return 7 starters.  The only one I could potentially see not starting would be Gates and I think he will be in the lineup game 1.  Of course, this is all barring injury, but it's not like we return a bunch of guys who have trouble swinging it.

Lineups are typically released about 30 minutes to an hour before game time.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 11, 2018, 08:24:50 pm
What makes you think any starter from last year would not make the field in the first game?

Our offense was one of the top in the country last year and we return 7 starters.  The only one I could potentially see not starting would be Gates and I think he will be in the lineup game 1.  Of course, this is all barring injury, but it's not like we return a bunch of guys who have trouble swinging it.

Lineups are typically released about 30 minutes to an hour before game time.

Because there usually a couple of freshmen phenom who make the field.  If I had to guess I would say Shaddy will get pushed for playing time because of his fielding issues.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ucahogfan

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 11, 2018, 08:28:13 pm
Because there usually a couple of freshmen phenom who make the field.  If I had to guess I would say Shaddy will get pushed for playing time because of his fielding issues.
Kjerstad will probably be in the opening day lineup, but other than that, DVH will probably go with his vets.

Shaddy was a downright decent defender the second half of last season and has only gotten better since then with more reps.  He had 16 errors last year, but if I had to guess without doing a ton of research, I would think about 12 of those were in the first 30 games or so.  You have to remember that he was brand new to the position last year and did not have a ton of reps before the start of last season.

Scott7703

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. You have 16 guys capable of contributing everyday. Bonfield, Shaddy, Koch, Fletcher, cole and biggers will all be in the lineup barring injury. That leaves Lee, McFarland, Gates, Kjerstad, Turney, Kenley, wilson, murrell, and Martin competing for those last two spots. Fun times.

EconHawg

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 11, 2018, 08:46:46 pm
Kjerstad will probably be in the opening day lineup, but other than that, DVH will probably go with his vets.

Shaddy was a downright decent defender the second half of last season and has only gotten better since then with more reps.  He had 16 errors last year, but if I had to guess without doing a ton of research, I would think about 12 of those were in the first 30 games or so.  You have to remember that he was brand new to the position last year and did not have a ton of reps before the start of last season.

If I'm remembering correctly, he also started wearing glasses midseason last year. On Spare Ribs I think he said something about he didn't realize he had vision problems until he tried wearing glasses.  I'd like to see a breakdown of fielding percentage (and BA) for him before and after the glasses.  Either way, he was noticeably better at 2nd as the season went on.

Plus his possum fielding percentage is tops in the league.

Wisco Pig

Shaddy committed 7 errors in the first 15 games last year.
He committed 5 errors in the next 21 games.
He had 4 errors in the last 28 games.
I don't recall exactly when he started wearing the glasses.

SPAL

If you think about it, several of Shaddy's errors we're throwing errors on plays he should have eaten it but tried to make something happen.

boaron

Could somebody, off the top of their head, talk about his hitting with no glasses?  I would think that would be a huge problem.

EconHawg

Pretty sure he does wear his glasses at the plate. If he has stopped I would assume that it is because he's switched to contacts, but that's just pure speculation by me. In the interview I watched last season he said that his mom called and told him to get his eyes checked, I think because a sibling of his had started having eye problems around his age. So he hadn't been choosing to not wear his glasses, he just didn't know he needed them before he started wearing them.

Like a lot of guys on this team, to me he's just one of those players you love to cheer for. He's all hog.

Knot2brite

Third and first will be the places that I can see someone new sliding in...Gates and McFarland might start in those positions the first couple games but I can see a new person at third in the third game of the first series
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

EconHawg

I'm interested to see if Kenley stays on this upward trajectory he has going at the plate. I heard he hit for the cycle in the fall world series, and we all saw how he finished last season. If so, it will be hard to not play him at third and let Gates and McFarland duke it out for first. Add in Wilson competing at third and that leaves two awfully good ball players on the bench at any point.

Did Gates play at first any this fall?

flippinhogmana

as to first and third, I am not saying DVH will platoon, but he indicated in one of his pressers that, he might start with an offensive lineup, and switch to the better defenders late to protect leads, so starters at those positions might not play the complete games.  He also indicated (I am not sure if it was the same presser or another one) that he might rotate the lineups to go with more left handed/switch hitters than previous years because he simply has more availability of quality backups. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

EconHawg

Any insight on who might be the leadoff hitter this weekend/season?

parallaxpig

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 12, 2018, 01:21:16 pm
as to first and third, I am not saying DVH will platoon, but he indicated in one of his pressers that, he might start with an offensive lineup, and switch to the better defenders late to protect leads, so starters at those positions might not play the complete games.  He also indicated (I am not sure if it was the same presser or another one) that he might rotate the lineups to go with more left handed/switch hitters than previous years because he simply has more availability of quality backups.

Nice problem to have....

Wisco Pig

Quote from: EconHawg on February 12, 2018, 01:36:26 pm
Any insight on who might be the leadoff hitter this weekend/season?

Just a guess that it will be Cole, at least to start the season.  Arledge was the usual leadoff guy last year, but Cole got 21 opportunities to lead off, and the Hogs were 15-6 in those games.  You always want a leadoff hitter who reaches base at a high rate, of course, and Cole had the 2nd-highest OBP of any Arkansas starter during SEC play, although he started slowly in the non-conference season.  He was terrific down the stretch.

Also, Cole's name was the only one Van Horn mentioned when he briefly discussed the leadoff position during his media day press conference two weeks ago.  In the same breath, Van Horn said Cole could also hit third, but I'd have to think Bonfield will continue to be the primary guy there—he batted third in 63 of 64 games last year, and has more power than Cole.

Again, just my guess.  Other posters might have different ideas.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Wisco Pig on February 12, 2018, 07:05:14 pm
Just a guess that it will be Cole, at least to start the season.
I fully agree with you that it will probably be Cole starting off the season.  I could see DVH running out a lineup of this on Friday:

1.  Cole - RF
2.  Biggers - SS
3.  Bonfield - DH
4.  Fletcher - CF
5.  Koch - C
6.  Shaddy - 2B
7.  Kjerstad - LF
8.  McFarland - 1B
9.  Gates - 3B

Now it might be Kenley at 3B, but I would think 1-7 is pretty well set in terms of who all will be starting as long as they are healthy.

Will be interesting to see how DVH manages Koch's time behind the plate this year with two viable backups.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 12, 2018, 01:21:16 pm
Yeah, he mentioned about potentially subbing in Kenley (3B), Martin (2B), and Wilson (1B) to go along with Biggers to essentially give him 4 SSs in the INF.

thebignasty

I loved having Biggers in the 9 hole last year, but he hit so well that I do think getting him the ABs of a 2 hole hitter makes sense.  I do wonder if we will see Koch and Fletcher leapfrog Bonfield in the batting order, though I do think we start the season with Bonfield at 3.

dotnet

I think the first two are likely to be Cole and Fletcher.  I wouldn't be shocked if Biggers was 9th again. 

I wish there would be less worry on the second lead off hitter and just get the best hitters more PAs. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on February 12, 2018, 09:19:55 pm
I think the first two are likely to be Cole and Fletcher.  I wouldn't be shocked if Biggers was 9th again. 

I wish there would be less worry on the second lead off hitter and just get the best hitters more PAs.
I could definitely see Fletcher in the 2 hole as well.  He is probably our best hitter and you want to get him as many ABs as possible.  However, I don't want Biggers all the way down at the bottom of the lineup again.

AHiD

1. Biggers SS
2. Cole RF
3. Bonfield DH against lefties Lee DH against righties
4. Fletcher CF
5. Koch C
6. Kenley 3B
7. Kjerstad LF
8. Shaddy 2B
9. Gates 1B
My name...is Jerruh

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 11:07:11 pm
1. Biggers SS
2. Cole RF
4. Fletcher CF
5. Koch C
6. Kenley 3B
7. Kjerstad LF
8. Shaddy 2B
9. Gates 1B

Using that lineup, I could see DVH setting this order ...

1. Cole
2. Shaddy
3. Fletcher
4. Bonfield
5. Gates
6. Koch
7. Kjerstad
8. Kenley
9. Biggers

factchecker

Expect to see Turney at the DH spot soon.  He is legit.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bulldog04

I'm pretty sure in an interview DVH alluded to Koch batting 3rd. I maybe wrong though

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: bulldog04 on February 13, 2018, 06:17:25 am
I'm pretty sure in an interview DVH alluded to Koch batting 3rd. I maybe wrong though

See, I thought he said Cole would be 3 hole guy lol

Wisco Pig

Quote from: factchecker on February 12, 2018, 11:41:41 pm
Expect to see Turney at the DH spot soon.  He is legit.

Here's what Van Horn said about Turney in the media day press conference two weeks ago.

Cole Turney, this is a guy that, if you don't know who he was, as a sophomore in high school when we committed him, there was no way he was coming to school. We patted ourselves on the back and said, "Hey, we got a commitment from the number-one hitter in Texas, but that's all we get, we're not gonna get him." And then his junior year, pretty much the same thing.

Well, then he hurt his shoulder. And he hurt his leg. He did not have a good senior year. Didn't run well, didn't know why he wasn't throwing well from the outfield because he had a great arm. He was a big kid that could run. You know, we're looking at a kid that we thought at a minimum was going to be a late first-round draft [pick]. And, kind of started thinking we might get him—what's wrong with him? Well, we get him because he wants to go to school, he needs a lot of money to skip school. He has shoulder surgery on his throwing arm, which is his left arm. He doesn't play all fall for us, he's got an ankle problem...

Well, he finally got to start swinging the bat for us when he got back, and it's been really impressive. You know, when you hit a ball off the middle of the batter's eye as a freshman during your first BP round, it's pretty impressive. He's got Chad Spanberger power plus, and he hit a ball off the top of the left-center field wall yesterday, took a couple walks. I mean, he could grab that DH spot... He can't play in the outfield yet. We put him in the outfield and he tweaked his ankle again when we first got back, but he's got a chance to be in the lineup as our DH... It's not the shoulder anymore; the shoulder is what it is, he doesn't even really throw yet. It's more about just getting that bat in there and getting that ankle healed up a little better.

bulldog04

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 13, 2018, 08:13:42 am
See, I thought he said Cole would be 3 hole guy lol
I do remember he said Cole could bat leadoff or hit 3rd but didn't specify where he would bat.
I would go
Cole
Biggers
Koch
Fletcher
Bonfield
Kjerstad
Shaddy
Gates
Kenley

CJ HOG

Based off the end of last season, I would think it's probably going to be Cole leading off starting the season.  I'll take a stab at our weekend lineups to begin the season. (Assuming no one is already dinged up, which I'm unaware of.)

vs. Right-Hander
1.  Cole - RF
2.  Biggers - SS
3.  Bonfield - DH
4.  Fletcher - CF
5.  Koch - C
6.  Kjerstad -LF
7.  Shaddy - 2B
8.  Gates - 1B
9.  Kenley - 3B

vs. Left-Hander
1.  Cole - LF
2.  Biggers - SS
3.  Bonfield - DH
4.  Fletcher - CF
5.  Koch - C
6.  Lee - RF
7.  Shaddy - 2B
8.  McFarland - 1B
9.  Martin - 3B

I could see either/both Bonfied & Koch or Biggers & Fletcher flip flopping their spots depending on whose raking or might need protecting. Honestly, our lineup is loaded no matter how you send them out imo.

I think the midweek games will be very interesting. Hogs have a lot of newcomers who need/want ABs, and everyday players who may need rest to avoid the season long grind. It could lead to some interesting lineups, and I look forward to how DVH navigates the team throughout this season. It's ALMOST here!

Springfield_MO_Razorback

I love the thought of Fletcher batting second. Using him there like we did with Spanberger last year as a power threat early and should see better pitches. We have plenty of power to load up behind him. If DVH keeps the nine hole spot open like a second lead off guy you could interchange Biggers and Cole between 9th and 1st. I loved having Biggers there last year to round the lineup back and using the 2 hole as another power threat.

Birminghog

I am so glad to be a part of EI again. MMQB & JB are about to wear me out with the snarkiness & negativity. Many, many thanks to those who run EI & keep it a clean and safe neighborhood.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: Birminghog on February 13, 2018, 03:31:00 pm
I am so glad to be a part of EI again. MMQB & JB are about to wear me out with the snarkiness & negativity. Many, many thanks to those who run EI & keep it a clean and safe neighborhood.

+1

ucahogfan

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 11:07:11 pm
1. Biggers SS
2. Cole RF
4. Fletcher CF
5. Koch C
6. Kenley 3B
7. Kjerstad LF
8. Shaddy 2B
9. Gates 1B
So a couple of questions:

Why Kenley in the 6 hole and Shaddy in the 8 hole?  I would be willing to think Shaddy won't have the type of year he had last year.

Also, why do you have Bonfield getting approximately 20 starts instead of being an everyday player?  He has been one of our better hitters the last two years.

ucahogfan

Quote from: CJ HOG on February 13, 2018, 12:03:23 pm
Based off the end of last season, I would think it's probably going to be Cole leading off starting the season.  I'll take a stab at our weekend lineups to begin the season. (Assuming no one is already dinged up, which I'm unaware of.)

vs. Right-Hander
1.  Cole - RF
2.  Biggers - SS
3.  Bonfield - DH
4.  Fletcher - CF
5.  Koch - C
6.  Kjerstad -LF
7.  Shaddy - 2B
8.  Gates - 1B
9.  Kenley - 3B

vs. Left-Hander
1.  Cole - LF
2.  Biggers - SS
3.  Bonfield - DH
4.  Fletcher - CF
5.  Koch - C
6.  Lee - RF
7.  Shaddy - 2B
8.  McFarland - 1B
9.  Martin - 3B

I could see either/both Bonfied & Koch or Biggers & Fletcher flip flopping their spots depending on whose raking or might need protecting. Honestly, our lineup is loaded no matter how you send them out imo.

I think the midweek games will be very interesting. Hogs have a lot of newcomers who need/want ABs, and everyday players who may need rest to avoid the season long grind. It could lead to some interesting lineups, and I look forward to how DVH navigates the team throughout this season. It's ALMOST here!
So it looks like you lose the platoon advantage by having Lee in there vs. LHPs and Kjerstand in there vs. RHPs.  Kjerstad is a switch hitter if I rememebr correctly so you would think he could play full time.  Of course, he probably has a dominant side like the majority of switch hitters do.

You are right about this lineup being loaded.  Fletcher will have plenty of protection in the lineup although I would like to see him in the 2 hole.

I think we see a ton of lineup combinations in the pre-conference play to see who will be DVH's go-tos.  I do think we settle in with a lot of returners once SEC play comes.

CJ HOG

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 13, 2018, 07:58:10 pm
So it looks like you lose the platoon advantage by having Lee in there vs. LHPs and Kjerstand in there vs. RHPs.  Kjerstad is a switch hitter if I rememebr correctly so you would think he could play full time.  Of course, he probably has a dominant side like the majority of switch hitters do.

You are right about this lineup being loaded.  Fletcher will have plenty of protection in the lineup although I would like to see him in the 2 hole.

I think we see a ton of lineup combinations in the pre-conference play to see who will be DVH's go-tos.  I do think we settle in with a lot of returners once SEC play comes.

The roster stickied atop only shows Cole, Murrell, and Opitz as switch hitters, so I'm not sure about Kjerstad. Of course, it also list Lee as batting from the right side(which I thought seemed off to me). I went with it anyhow over my ever worsening memory.

I'll have to rethink it now. Against righties, maybe move Gates to 3B and let Lee play 1B. I think he played some 1B in fall ball. Maybe vs. lefties, you put Bonfield in LF and run another RH DH out there.

At any rate, it's a good problem to have more available Bats than you can get into the game at once. Definitely beats the alternative.

Scott7703

After hearing A DVH interview from yesterday i fully expect Turney to DH when he's deemed healthy. Will get interesting at that point on where that puts Bonfield. Did he take reps at 1st base this fall or did i dream that?

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 14, 2018, 12:05:38 pm
After hearing A DVH interview from yesterday i fully expect Turney to DH when he's deemed healthy. Will get interesting at that point on where that puts Bonfield. Did he take reps at 1st base this fall or did i dream that?

Bonfield has played some 1st base.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 14, 2018, 12:05:38 pm
I think we must have had the same dream about Bonfield at 1B. I know I didn't dream about DVH saying Bonfield was OK with playing some LF and some DH.

Did you have the dream about DVH saying he would start the best offensive players to get a lead and switch several positions to the better defensive players to finish the game? Wait, no! That wasn't a dream. I think DVH may use this strategy more often and with more players this year than in past years.

The way DVH talks about Turney, it's going to be fun to watch him hit. Turning heads before being 100% healthy.

parallaxpig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 14, 2018, 01:21:15 pm
I think we must have had the same dream about Bonfield at 1B. I know I didn't dream about DVH saying Bonfield was OK with playing some LF and some DH.

Did you have the dream about DVH saying he would start the best offensive players to get a lead and switch several positions to the better defensive players to finish the game? Wait, no! That wasn't a dream. I think DVH may use this strategy more often and with more players this year than in past years.

The way DVH talks about Turney, it's going to be fun to watch him hit. Turning heads before being 100% healthy.

What's issue with Turney?

CJ HOG

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 14, 2018, 02:09:09 pm

Unless it's something more recent, it's a shoulder issue I believe. Limits his throwing enough to keep him out of the field I think. Apparently, his hitting is not as hampered.

Here's some info...

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/27/state-hogs-its-all-about-cole-field-baseball-media/

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 14, 2018, 02:09:09 pm
See Wisco Pig's reply #28 in this thread.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

We pretty much already knew this, but I guess this make it official.

Scott7703

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 14, 2018, 01:21:15 pm

You could absolutely be right on starting the offense and finishing with defense. I have a contact pretty close to the program who says there are 5 freshman good enough to start in the field day one. Without question this has the potential to be the best freshman class we've ever signed. Add that to depth we already had coming back and guys coming back from injury and this team could be really special.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 14, 2018, 02:50:09 pm
We pretty much already knew this, but I guess this make it official.

That was the weekend rotation everyone expected heading into last year.  Good we get to see it actually happen this go round.  Excited to see what they could do.  Could be one of our better weekend rotations we have had.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 14, 2018, 05:18:23 pm

You could absolutely be right on starting the offense and finishing with defense. I have a contact pretty close to the program who says there are 5 freshman good enough to start in the field day one. Without question this has the potential to be the best freshman class we've ever signed. Add that to depth we already had coming back and guys coming back from injury and this team could be really special.
If I had to guess based on what DVH has said, it is probably Kjerstad, Turney, Opitz, Martin, and Murrell.  Based on what I have seen, I think our opening day lineup will be:

C - Koch
1B - Lee / McFarland
2B - Shaddy
3B - Gates
SS - Biggers
LF - Kjerstad
CF - Fletcher
RF - Cole
DH - Bonfield

For late game replacements, you have Kenley, Wilson, and Martin who take over for Lee, Shaddy, and Gates.  Gives us an infield defense which will cover a lot of ground.

hogwild04

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 14, 2018, 05:32:40 pm
If I had to guess based on what DVH has said, it is probably Kjerstad, Turney, Opitz, Martin, and Murrell.  Based on what I have seen, I think our opening day lineup will be:

C - Koch
1B - Lee / McFarland
2B - Shaddy
3B - Gates
SS - Biggers
LF - Kjerstad
CF - Fletcher
RF - Cole
DH - Bonfield

For late game replacements, you have Kenley, Wilson, and Martin who take over for Lee, Shaddy, and Gates.  Gives us an infield defense which will cover a lot of ground.

Freshman Bryce Bonnin can play the field and hit with the best of them as well.  He was ranked the #1 Short Stop in Texas by Perfect Game and was originally recruited as a infielder/ outfielder.  DHV said had a good fall hitting and held his own. With so much depth in the field ( DVH stated it was wearing him down, working both ways. so agreed to concentrate on pitching, he has only pitched 2 seasons,) and DVH said since he has just been pitching he has been electric and has potential to be one of the best, very athletic)  Though with a 97 mph fastball, hard to justify not pitching, though DVH mentioned he may go back to a 2 way guy next season.

thebignasty

Quote from: hogwild04 on February 14, 2018, 10:23:41 pm
Freshman Bryce Bonnin can play the field and hit with the best of them as well.  He was ranked the #1 Short Stop in Texas by Perfect Game and was originally recruited as a infielder/ outfielder.  DHV said had a good fall hitting and held his own. With so much depth in the field ( DVH stated it was wearing him down, working both ways. so agreed to concentrate on pitching, he has only pitched 2 seasons,) and DVH said since he has just been pitching he has been electric and has potential to be one of the best, very athletic)  Though with a 97 mph fastball, hard to justify not pitching, though DVH mentioned he may go back to a 2 way guy next season.

We are stacked.  It's going to be an exciting season.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 14, 2018, 05:32:40 pm

C - Koch
1B - Lee
2B - Shaddy
3B - Gates
SS - Biggers
LF - Kjerstad
CF - Fletcher
RF - Cole
DH - Bonfield

Based on what I have seen and heard, I think this will be the line-up on opening day.