Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching

Started by hawgfan4life, February 06, 2018, 09:22:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Supposed to be well known for defense and gave up countless wide open 3 point shots.  Coach didn't even look interested most of the game.  1 NCAA tournament in 6 years.  Yep!  That is the opposing coach everyone brags on being so great.  He got a good draw and his talented players got on a roll at the right time last year.  AR was a couple of plays away from the same thing last year.  Point is our coach is far better than haters want to admit, talent is critical to high level success, and getting in a groove at the right time is important.  If Martin was at AR, fans would be more mad at him than MA.

lynbug

Well, I was gonna make an original post about this but your post seems an appropriate place.  A couple of days ago I checked the winning percentages of SEC coaches....all wins, not just SEC and It was prior to the start of this season.  Anderson ranked 4th at 66% behind Calipari--78, White--70, Drew--69 and Wade--67.  You might say that we could remove Wade and Drew from this conversation because they are the underclassmen in this group.  This leaves MA ranking 2nd behind Cal.  Also, MA ranks 4th in NCAAT appearances behind Barnes, Cal and Howland.  Objectively, we might not be in as bad of a situation a we sometimes think.

BannerMountainMan

People think we can get back to where we were for 4-5 years in the 90's...the only team Arkansas has ever done that was Nolan freaking Richardson with the same style as MA....you see what happens when you bring the slow down game into Fay, Arkansas, nobody wants to come play at Fayetteville where nobody has ever heard of. Name a worse place to go to than Fayetteville, not scenic wise but city wise.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

razorpimp

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 06, 2018, 09:22:03 pm
Supposed to be well known for defense and gave up countless wide open 3 point shots.  Coach didn't even look interested most of the game.  1 NCAA tournament in 6 years.  Yep!  That is the opposing coach everyone brags on being so great.  He got a good draw and his talented players got on a roll at the right time last year.  AR was a couple of plays away from the same thing last year.  Point is our coach is far better than haters want to admit, talent is critical to high level success, and getting in a groove at the right time is important.  If Martin was at AR, fans would be more mad at him than MA.

You are comparing records of a coach that is at South Carolina....let that sink in...

We are better than USCe.... WOO HOO!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: lynbug on February 06, 2018, 09:35:27 pm
Well, I was gonna make an original post about this but your post seems an appropriate place.  A couple of days ago I checked the winning percentages of SEC coaches....all wins, not just SEC and It was prior to the start of this season.  Anderson ranked 4th at 66% behind Calipari--78, White--70, Drew--69 and Wade--67.  You might say that we could remove Wade and Drew from this conversation because they are the underclassmen in this group.  This leaves MA ranking 2nd behind Cal.  Also, MA ranks 4th in NCAAT appearances behind Barnes, Cal and Howland.  Objectively, we might not be in as bad of a situation a we sometimes think.

Spin. Spin. Spin. Here's one:

Since Mike Anderson has taken over the Arkansas basketball program he's the only coach to take Arkansas to the NCAA tournament. I think I'll tweet that to Bo and have him use it tomorrow.

One more: since taking over as head coach Mike Anderson's teams have never lost a game in which they've scored more than their opponent. That's 100%.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: razorpimp on February 06, 2018, 09:50:30 pm
You are comparing records of a coach that is at South Carolina....let that sink in...

We are better than USCe.... WOO HOO!!!

Don't be dense. Martin is a good coach.

Did anyone see the answer to the trivia question about the only active coaches that have never had a losing record? For the life of me, I can't remember who they were but Mike Anderson was with 3 legends. Pretty impressive for a mediocre coach.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

razorpimp

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 06, 2018, 09:54:40 pm

Since Mike Anderson has taken over the Arkansas basketball program he's the only coach to take Arkansas to the NCAA tournament. I think I'll tweet that to Bo and have him use it tomorrow.

One more: since taking over as head coach Mike Anderson's teams have never lost a game in which they've scored more than their opponent. That's 100%.

Great points!  Let's lock him down with an extension...wait

razorpimp

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 09:55:52 pm

Did anyone see the answer to the trivia question about the only active coaches that have never had a losing record? For the life of me, I can't remember who they were but Mike Anderson was with 3 legends. Pretty impressive for a mediocre coach.

Yep that plus all of those final fours is mind boggling

3of5-2

LOL, I like it, but Bo would probably screw it up.

sowmonella

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 06, 2018, 09:40:08 pm
People think we can get back to where we were for 4-5 years in the 90's...the only team Arkansas has ever done that was Nolan freaking Richardson with the same style as MA....you see what happens when you bring the slow down game into Fay, Arkansas, nobody wants to come play at Fayetteville where nobody has ever heard of. Name a worse place to go to than Fayetteville, not scenic wise but city wise.

???
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

lynbug

No spin.  I just want to win like everyone else.  But sometimes stats can be surprising.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: sowmonella on February 06, 2018, 10:01:00 pm
???
I'm not talking about it bad but what attracts people to Fayetteville? I'm saying like Florida has the beach, Kentucky has the scum, Texas A&M has Texas, Georgia has Atlanta.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

sowmonella

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 06, 2018, 10:05:27 pm
I'm not talking about it bad but what attracts people to Fayetteville? I'm saying like Florida has the beach, Kentucky has the scum, Texas A&M has Texas, Georgia has Atlanta.
I'm not from there but I'll give it a shot. It's one of the top 5 places to live I the United States according to several national surveys. It's one of the fastest growing areas in the US. You said "not scenic" but then you listed the beach for Florida.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

daprospecta

Quote from: sowmonella on February 06, 2018, 10:20:35 pm
I'm not from there but I'll give it a shot. It's one of the top 5 places to live I the United States according to several national surveys. It's one of the fastest growing areas in the US. You said "not scenic" but then you listed the beach for Florida.
He means that outside of nature and obviously razorback sports, there isn't much to do. I lived in Fayetteville ten years after my playing days (grew up in Little Rock) before moving to Austin a few years ago. Both places are usually top 3 cities to live in but it's not even close. If you fancy going to work and home every night and occasionally get out on the weekends, Fayetteville is for you. Hard to entice a recruit with what Fayetteville has to offer compared to other decent sized cities. If you choose Arkansas, it's because you either grew up a Razorback fan or family member did or you are playing for Mike because his style of play fits your game. I'm sorry but the city isn't a strong selling point for recruits.

onebadrubi

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 09:55:52 pm

Roy Williams at UNC/Kansas
Izzo at mich st
Mark pew at gonzaga. 

That stat is nice, but it just goes to show that we accept mediocrity.   

Sow’sEar

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2018, 08:02:08 am
Izzo at mich st
Mark pew at gonzaga. 

Stats can be presented to make any argument you want to.  Yes, that is a nice thing about Mike Anderson, that he's never had a losing season, however, that stat doesn't tell you a whole lot.  For example, does anyone throwing that stat around truly believe that Anderson is a better coach than Calipari, Krzyzewski, Self, et. al???  He must be since they have all had a losing season.....

hawgfan4life

Stats can be used for a lot of things and many people like to select certain stats to make their point.  With MA, simply take the overall stats over time, and they prove he is not a poor coach nor even a mediocre coach.  Fans get on here after every opposing team basket and cry about our poor defense and coaching.  Fans get on here after every poor offensive series and cry about how pitiful our half court offense is and how poor our coaching is on offense.  Yet, over time, we are almost always one of the better overall defensive teams and we are currently one of the best offensive teams in the conference.  The problem with most fans doing the crying is that they make sure they find the negative in everything even if the overall result was good.  They don't agree with the overall offensive stats because the offense doesn't fit their model of what an offense is supposed to look like.  They believe the defense is horrid because what they see doesn't fit their version of what it should look like.  Never mind that much of what they are seeing is a system and philosophy in play and the results over time have been pretty good for MA.  OP didn't say MA is a hall of famer or an elite coach, but it stated based on provable facts that he is a good coach.  Some simply don't like the product they see, don't like the coach for whatever personal reasons, etc. and they refuse to let any facts get in the way of their opinion.

greenEGnHAWGS

Izzo at mich st
Mark pew at gonzaga. 

I'm not connecting the dots here between Mike being in a group of coaches who've never had a losing season and "we've accepted mediocrity". The announcers even commentated about how it shows even more so how good Mike is considering he took over 3 programs.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BannerMountainMan

Izzo at mich st
Mark pew at gonzaga. 

Anderson if for sure a better coach than Calipari, is he a better recruiter? Heck no. If Calipari can go 6-5 so far with a bunch of 5 stars than that's not good at all.

dsims2k3

Quote from: sowmonella on February 06, 2018, 10:20:35 pm
18 year olds aren't looking for a quaint place to raise a family.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 05:12:59 pm
Anderson if for sure a better coach than Calipari, is he a better recruiter? Heck no. If Calipari can go 6-5 so far with a bunch of 5 stars than that's not good at all.

I'm sorry, my reading skills are pretty poor, can you help me with knowing where you read calipari in my post.  I am trying to improve my skills.

onebadrubi

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 07, 2018, 04:38:02 pm
I'm not connecting the dots here between Mike being in a group of coaches who've never had a losing season and "we've accepted mediocrity". The announcers even commentated about how it shows even more so how good Mike is considering he took over 3 programs.

Please tell me what Mike has in common with any of those three coaches?  Besides the stat pulled out of thin air to look good.  We have given MA some pretty easy schedules at times here.  If any of those three coaches had a 7 year stretch that MA has had, they would be looking for a job. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2018, 05:49:53 pm
Please tell me what Mike has in common with any of those three coaches?  Besides the stat pulled out of thin air to look good.  We have given MA some pretty easy schedules at times here.  If any of those three coaches had a 7 year stretch that MA has had, they would be looking for a job. 
He has in common with every other coach in college basketball for that time frame the same opportunity to meet the standard of that stat.  I guess the dozens of coaches that didn't make the list all had stronger schedules than MA and is why they didn't make the list.  Too bad you can't see that MA isn't as bad a coach as you are convinced.  The fact is that he has done better than almost all coaches in that area.  Fans say he can't recruit which would mean he did this without good talent making the weak schedule a mute point.  Fans say the SEC conference was weak, but don't consider that there have been weaker conferences and half the coaches in college basketball in the upper half of their conferences that had the same opportunity despite their conference ranking.  Must really burn haters to see stats like that and they have to dig deep to find the counter arguments to disprove the validity and prove MA is not a good coach.  SAD!

razorback1829

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 08, 2018, 10:04:11 pm
He has in common with every other coach in college basketball for that time frame the same opportunity to meet the standard of that stat.  I guess the dozens of coaches that didn't make the list all had stronger schedules than MA and is why they didn't make the list.  Too bad you can't see that MA isn't as bad a coach as you are convinced.  The fact is that he has done better than almost all coaches in that area.  Fans say he can't recruit which would mean he did this without good talent making the weak schedule a mute point.  Fans say the SEC conference was weak, but don't consider that there have been weaker conferences and half the coaches in college basketball in the upper half of their conferences that had the same opportunity despite their conference ranking.  Must really burn haters to see stats like that and they have to dig deep to find the counter arguments to disprove the validity and prove MA is not a good coach.  SAD!

It does, and they are pathetic.

Sharky

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 06, 2018, 09:22:03 pm
Supposed to be well known for defense and gave up countless wide open 3 point shots.

Isn't CMA's system really all about conversions on turnovers. And we have to trap to force turnovers. So, yes, it's defense, but if opponents beat the press in the backcourt and push the ball up, they'll almost always have a numbers advantage. And if we don't press, then we resort to a half-court game which isn't CMA strongsuit.

Basically, if teams can figure out how to beat the pressure, there will always be openings downcourt.