Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Hogville-born, realistic College Football Playoff system that works

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, January 05, 2018, 12:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:55:51 am
Yes. Make being a conference champion mean something or scrap it altogether. Auburn would've loved to not play in the SECCG.

I'm fine with Bama being at large, as long as the field has the conference champs in it.

Here's how I would've ranked them;
1)UGA
2)Clemson
3)OU
4)Bama
5)OSU
6)USC
7)UCF
8)Wisconsin

The committee;
1)Clemson
2)OU
3)UGA
4)Bama
5)OSU
6)Wisconsin
7)USC
8)UCF

So you ranked Bama 4th, and they got in as the 4 under the present system. I fail to see the issue except people don't like Bama.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 09:57:34 am
So you ranked Bama 4th, and they got in as the 4 under the present system. I fail to see the issue except people don't like Bama.

Truthfully, I think they're #1.

But at some point we have to let what's done on the field decide. If I'm not mistaken, Wisconsin was 4th before the final weekend. They would've loved to not play in that championship game as well.

I'm a college football fan. I think 4 is better than 2. 8 is where it should stop.

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 10:03:02 am
Truthfully, I think they're #1.

But at some point we have to let what's done on the field decide. If I'm not mistaken, Wisconsin was 4th before the final weekend. They would've loved to not play in that championship game as well.

I'm a college football fan. I think 4 is better than 2. 8 is where it should stop.

No way to let what is done on the field decide as long as FBS is 130 or more teams. I still think eventually FBS will be cut into two divisions. Basically the current p5 leagues, give or take a few other teams, will become the top division. The rest of the wanna bees will be somewhere else.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CDBHawg

There absolutely is. It's putting in the conference champions. Everybody has a chance to do that. Throw in at large if you wish. But as it stands now we could possibly see 4 teams that don't win their conference.

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 10:40:17 am
There absolutely is. It's putting in the conference champions. Everybody has a chance to do that. Throw in at large if you wish. But as it stands now we could possibly see 4 teams that don't win their conference.

But are the conf champs the BEST teams? It was only 2 or 3 years ago when the PAC12 could have had a ccg winner with 6 losses ( UCLA went into the game at 6-6 ). In 2016 the ACC could have had a 3 loss winner. In 2012 the Big10 had a 4 loss ccg winner.

bob slydell

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:50:34 am
I said if Bama wins.

True, on the rest of what you stated. But I'm not okay with a team that hasn't even won their division winning a national championship by a playoff format, unless the field has the conference winners in it.

Disagree completely.  The goal should be to award the best team the national championship.  Conference champions in many instances have very little bearing on that.  BTW, the other 3 teams happened to be conference champions including the SEC champ.  Does anyone really think that the sun belt champion has any business playing for a national championship?  Logistical issues aside, it's really pointless to have a 16 team playoff. 
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.