Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk to the D-League

Started by AlmaHog2011, December 25, 2017, 05:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisinHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 25, 2017, 09:28:18 pm
Have you watched the matador defense our guards play a lot of the time? Good defensive technique isn't taught here.
Lol ... Umm ok

IronMountainHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 07:57:36 pm
You know nothing about this kid. I'm guessing your opinion of him is based solely on third hand information, and have never really had any interaction with him. I can tell you this, while you sit on your fat ass eating honey buns and drinking diet cokes, he will be working to get his game where it needs to be to get back in the league.
You don't know Monk, so you better not talk bad of him? You don't know rude1, so you can talk bad about him? Double standard Jackazz much? Here's my take, Malik sucks, Marcus sucks worse (because traitors always do) and why is Nick Mason allowed on radio in this state?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 25, 2017, 05:46:00 pm
Good.

Don't care if I ever hear his name again.

When I do, I hope it is like this.

+1.....agree 100% with above.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

felixfan

Quote from: rude1 on December 25, 2017, 05:30:48 pm
I wish him nothing of the sorts, and it feels good to watch him failing. Hopefully he doesn't turn this around.

Name checks out

The_Bionic_Pig

December 26, 2017, 12:43:43 am #54 Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:55:10 am by The_Bionic_Pig
You know nothing about this kid. I'm guessing your opinion of him is based solely on third hand information, and have never really had any interaction with him. I can tell you this, while you sit on your fat ass eating honey buns and drinking diet cokes, he will be working to get his game where it needs to be to get back in the league.

We know he absolutely loves The Bluegrass State, Bourbon Capital of the World, Athens of the West, Horse Capital of the World, BBN etc... Kentucky more than he does the very fanbase who have been cheering him on to the point of worship (9th grade) 3yrs before John Calapari even showed interest.

It was very much assumed he was 1 and done by his Junior year in H.S. so turning up your nose to get drafted by the Charlotte Hornets???

I can recall not just the Head Coaches and assistant coaches but the entire 2016-17 basketball roster attending his H.S.game.... how much love & attention from home is required.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JayHog

Lololololol. D-League, and didn't make it in the NBA more than a few months.  Serves him right.
How does it feel to know 95% of a state roots against you and delights in your downfall?
I'm assuming the answer is the typical "I got paid, so I don't care". But that pay has a way of disappearing pretty quick... it's gone as fast as it came. 10 years from now, We'll see if you care then... when you're broke, busted and disgusted.

And you'll know there won't be any business opportunities in this state.
Kentucky won't care about you by then.
You don't have a college degree, so that won't save you.
Your day is coming

Cure

Every talented player from Arkansas doesn't need to play for the Hogs. The butthurt is strong. You should be happy a kid from Arkansas even makes it to the league.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

The_Iceman

So, he is in the same league as Dusty Hannahs?

The Hogfather

December 26, 2017, 07:06:14 am #58 Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:07:31 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: Cure on December 26, 2017, 06:29:50 am
You should be happy a kid from Arkansas even makes it to the G-League.

FIFY

AlmaHog2011

Every talented player from Arkansas doesn't need to play for the Hogs. The butthurt is strong. You should be happy a kid from Arkansas even makes it to the league.

He's not from Arkansas I think he said he's just from his hometown. And he's Kentucky now and i don't give a flip about Monk or his brother. Actually Marcus has cost us two great players.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 25, 2017, 10:58:14 pm
You don't know Monk, so you better not talk bad of him? You don't know rude1, so you can talk bad about him? Double standard Jackazz much? Here's my take, Malik sucks, Marcus sucks worse (because traitors always do) and why is Nick Mason allowed on radio in this state?
Wow you sir are 100% correct in your opinions.

King Kong

Nope

jjdlc

Why should I?  I cheer for good kids from Arkansas all the time, regardless if they were a hog or not.  Monk has went out of his way to not be in that category, he's on his own.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rude1 on December 25, 2017, 05:30:48 pm
I wish him nothing of the sorts, and it feels good to watch him failing. Hopefully he doesn't turn this around.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

rude1

Well why don't you joint him at Ky and the D league since you have such a love affair with him?

rude1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 08:14:36 pm
One on one defense is not a requirement in the NBA. There are a few lock down defenders and that's it. It's all about scoring, not shooting. I doubt they will give up on him.
Now this shows your complete lack of knowledge about the NBA. Unless you are an elite scorer, then you had better be a  lock down defender are your stay in the league will be very short. He is neither, thus his quick trip to the D league.

3of5-2

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 25, 2017, 10:58:14 pm
You're right, I don't know rude1, and I don't know you, and my life is excellent not knowing either one of you. I can't help the fact that your mouth and fingers work faster than your brain. Take a little time to think about what you were doing at 20, and see if you were anywhere near getting drafted in the NBA. I'm thinking you were not even close, but you want to be some kind of expert on everybody else.

chiti66

Wish MM the best, at the end of the day, he just wanted to make it to the NBA.  Love the job that CMA is doing, and I hope he can keep (show) our kids in state.  Hopefully people will understand that all glitter isn't gold.  GO HOGS!

SemperHawg

Well at least he didn't piss off a bunch of people in his home state so he can fall back on tha.....ohhhhh wait never mind.

3of5-2

Quote from: rude1 on December 26, 2017, 08:40:13 am
Now this shows your complete lack of knowledge about the NBA. Unless you are an elite scorer, then you had better be a  lock down defender are your stay in the league will be very short. He is neither, thus his quick trip to the D league.
No, this shows your complete lack of knowledge about the NBA. Rosters are full of guys that can't defend, and a lot that can't score. A lot has to do with how much a team has invested, or not invested in a player. The only reason Melo is still playing, coming off the bench, is because OKC overpaid for him, and now they are stuck with an overpriced veteran that is past his prime. Malik will be fine, either way. He played in the league, something most people on HV will never ever do.

The_Bionic_Pig

December 26, 2017, 08:52:11 am #70 Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:04:28 am by The_Bionic_Pig

Sonny Liston was born in Sand Slough, Arkansas....i guarantee you 99% of the state was cheering for Cassius Clay on February 25Th 1964.

The Razorback fanbase is not obligated to show favor to someone who viewed us as not good enough for his services...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

rude1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 26, 2017, 08:43:27 am
You're right, I don't know rude1, and I don't know you, and my life is excellent not knowing either one of you. I can't help the fact that your mouth and fingers work faster than your brain. Take a little time to think about what you were doing at 20, and see if you were anywhere near getting drafted in the NBA. I'm thinking you were not even close, but you want to be some kind of expert on everybody else.
Well the good news is that yes he got drafted into the NBA, but he was drafted by the same guy who drafted Kwame Brown with the first over all pick in Washington. So I had hope this would work out for the best for Hog fans!!!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 26, 2017, 08:51:37 am
No, this shows your complete lack of knowledge about the NBA. Rosters are full of guys that can't defend, and a lot that can't score. A lot has to do with how much a team has invested, or not invested in a player. The only reason Melo is still playing, coming off the bench, is because OKC overpaid for him, and now they are stuck with an overpriced veteran that is past his prime. Malik will be fine, either way. He played in the league, something most people on HV will never ever do.

Listen Marcus, Archie or whatever you go by in real life.... the name Malik Monk is now permanently and forevermore linked to the term traitor,  betrayer, backstabber, double-crosser, renegade, sell-out, turncoat, defector, no matter how many times you choose to compare our eating habits, financial success etc...to his.

You say butthurt but the correct term is heartbroken
Link: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article124817849.html
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The Hogfather

Hey, if that's all it takes to make him happy, fine.  With the amount of natural talent he has, I think it is pretty sad he is already in the G-League.  He should've come to Arkansas and actually developed his talents instead of heading to get used for a year under Calipari.

rude1

Clueless!!!! So you show me the players on rosters who can't defend nor score? That is dumb to even suggest that teams would have players on their roster who basically contribute next to nothing. Melo is still playing because he was always an elite scorer who people had trouble matching up with.

HoopS

had his brother not done all he did behind the scenes including burning lifelong bridges, things would be different.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on December 26, 2017, 09:41:55 am
Clueless!!!! So you show me the players on rosters who can't defend nor score? That is dumb to even suggest that teams would have players on their roster who basically contribute next to nothing. Melo is still playing because he was always an elite scorer who people had trouble matching up with.

Wouldn't surprise me if that guy really is Marcus.  He has probably been telling Malik that defense doesn't matter, so all they've worked on is scoring.  Also the guy who basically forced Malik to go to Kentucky because he thought it was better for HIS (as in Marcus') career.  He thought he'd be able to represent all of Malik's teammates, which is funny.

Science Fiction Greg

This thread is hilarious.  From the Monk lover claiming most NBA rosters are full of players that can't score nor play defense to this amazing gem:

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hogimus Prime

Outside of the stars in the NBA every player is a role player: shooter, defender, rebounder, etc.  Monk is a streak shooter. That is all he brings. A player can be a streak shooter, but he better be able to bring amother thing or two to the table. Monk can't create or defend. 

rude1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 26, 2017, 10:42:32 am
Outside of the stars in the NBA every player is a role player: shooter, defender, rebounder, etc.  Monk is a streak shooter. That is all he brings. A player can be a streak shooter, but he better be able to bring amother thing or two to the table. Monk can't create or defend. 
^^This. One look at the box score will show that shooting is all he does, and he doesn't do it nearly well enough. No rebounding, no assists, and if you are going to be that one dimensional, you had better be a lock down defender or a shooter that can get and MAKE your shot on any defender.

pigture perfect

I'm not a big fan of the 1 and done system for this reason. Some position players can do it, but I don't believe it's a smart move. A 6'3 combo guard is not like a 6'10 inside outside player. I believe (and hoping) that the only ball playing Monk will be doing, in a couple of years, is underneath a bridge somewhere in Memphis.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Piglet

I think we are lucky he went to Kenturkey.  A one-and-done player can be disruptive to team chemistry.  If all they are interested in is getting to the NBA and looking good to the scouts, the rest of the team may not play well with them.  LSU definitely did not win a lot of games with their one-and-done.
After watching his high school championship game with Cabot, I realized he could lose as many games as he could win for a school.  I don't have a problem with players wanting to get to the NBA, but I do want them to be a team player and take pride in being part of the school.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

labb

Quote from: Piglet on December 26, 2017, 11:53:27 am
I think we are lucky he went to Kenturkey.  A one-and-done player can be disruptive to team chemistry.  If all they are interested in is getting to the NBA and looking good to the scouts, the rest of the team may not play well with them.  LSU definitely did not win a lot of games with their one-and-done.
After watching his high school championship game with Cabot, I realized he could lose as many games as he could win for a school.  I don't have a problem with players wanting to get to the NBA, but I do want them to be a team player and take pride in being part of the school.
This. best that could have happened for both parties...IMO

phadedhawg

Monk being sent down is my favorite present this Christmas season.

Biggus Piggus

Monk went to Kentucky because he wanted to be a one-and-done. Cal gave Monk the shots to get the stats. But Cal should have helped Monk realize he was not ready. All Cal cared about was whether Monk would be another first round draft choice from Kentucky. The NBA needs to learn what's going on.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 26, 2017, 12:17:37 pm
Monk went to Kentucky because he wanted to be a one-and-done. Cal gave Monk the shots to get the stats. But Cal should have helped Monk realize he was not ready. All Cal cared about was whether Monk would be another first round draft choice from Kentucky. The NBA needs to learn what's going on.

These kids (and their wannabe agent brothers) need to figure out what's going on and what is/isn't best for them.  Calipari uses these kids for a year to make him look good.  Monk would've done well to spend a few years at Arkansas and it would've also helped after the fact if he ends up being sent to the G-League in a few months and then ultimately out of a job.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 26, 2017, 12:23:41 pm
These kids (and their wannabe agent brothers) need to figure out what's going on and what is/isn't best for them.  Calipari uses these kids for a year to make him look good.  Monk would've done well to spend a few years at Arkansas and it would've also helped after the fact if he ends up being sent to the G-League in a few months and then ultimately out of a job.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/monk-and-bacon-to-g-league.252310/
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WJBilly

3of5-2

Quote from: WJBilly on December 26, 2017, 12:38:25 pm
Beatles me to it.
This might be funny, but since I'm not Marcus, it's just another dumb ass response on HV. Oh, and you might want to proof that spell check before your overworked right hand hits enter.

Cure

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 26, 2017, 10:35:35 am
This thread is hilarious.  From the Monk lover claiming most NBA rosters are full of players that can't score nor play defense to this amazing gem:

How many players from Arkansas have went to the NBA over the last 10 years?

Yes, the thread is hilarious because people are tearing down a teen for making a decision that he felt was best, with or without influence. Cal puts them in the pros period.

You want to get mad because the favors given by fans/boosters didn't land him? Cool, but that's the name of the game, deal with it.
Quote from: HoopS on December 26, 2017, 09:43:13 am
had his brother not done all he did behind the scenes including burning lifelong bridges, things would be different.
They shouldn't have offered in the first place. If you're going to drop the bag off, make it worth it.

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 26, 2017, 08:52:11 am
The Razorback fanbase is not obligated to show favor to someone who viewed us as not good enough for his services...
And Arkansas kids aren't obligated to attend the U of A, but they shouldn't be hounded by grown men for choosing to go out of state either. Choosing to go elsewhere isn't a middle finger to the state.
Team Economics

The Hogfather

Quote from: Cure on December 26, 2017, 01:25:32 pm
How many players from Arkansas have went to the NBA over the last 10 years?

None.  Several have gone, though.

King Kong

Cal doesn't put crap in the NBA. These kids talents do.

If anything you could argue Cal ruined the Draft stock of can miss NBA first rounders in the Harrison's and Alex Poythress.

Dillon23

I wish him nothing but the worst.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 26, 2017, 12:17:37 pm

The NBA knows what's going and they don't give a damn.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Piglet

I often wonder how the Kentucky fans feel about their one-and-done players.  The players are not there to represent the state or even the school.  They are there trying out for the NBA and representing themselves (or as it has been said - it's a business decision).

I assume very few players are from Kentucky and virtually none get a degree from the school.  Do the fans continue to follow their careers in the NBA?  Do ex-players ever return or even keep up with Kentucky after they leave?

Since we have never had a one-and-done drafted out of the Razorbacks, its something I can't identify with.  Portis was our closest, but he was of course an Arkansas native and he didn't go to Fayetteville as a business decision.  He wanted to help the team get back to national prominence.

We have had some one-and-done transfers to other schools.  I don't feel any continued connection to them even if they go on to have successful careers at other schools and in the NBA.

With that said, I am not against taking a one-and-done recruit from out of state.  Just wondering what it would feel like when they left.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Cure on December 26, 2017, 01:25:32 pm

Yes, the thread is hilarious because people are tearing down a teen for making a decision that he felt was best, with or without influence.

This thread is hilarious partly because of your stupid statement that I should be happy when any player from Arkansas makes it to the NBA.  Laughable and stupid.  So thanks.

Which, by the way, I was pretty clear about in my last post.  I even bolded it for you.  Not sure why you just started talking about a whole bunch of other unrelated stuff.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

20gauge

He got sent for a grand total of one game according to the Charlotte observer article. Then out on the road. Being done to get him PT and development. I'd expect a couple more trips there. You guys will get more chances to post articles. Maybe he will make it, maybe he won't. Been plenty of guys hang around the NBA for years based on potential.

Look for the one and done rule to be changed in the next CBA. Silver hates it and wants it gone. Wants to use the G-league as a minor league if possible. Could possibly see something similar to football.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: JayHog on December 26, 2017, 12:57:01 am
10 years from now, We'll see if you care then... when you're broke, busted and disgusted.

Pretty sure he has friends with business ideas that they haven't been able to finance so he has probably already invested in in chicken wing joint, an old van converted into a food truck and a detail shop.
Hogs up! Covid down!

opineonswine

Really dumb move going to Kentucky.  Crash and burn.  Too bad.

Cure

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 26, 2017, 02:57:08 pm
This thread is hilarious partly because of your stupid statement that I should be happy when any player from Arkansas makes it to the NBA.  Laughable and stupid.  So thanks.

Which, by the way, I was pretty clear about in my last post.  I even bolded it for you.  Not sure why you just started talking about a whole bunch of other unrelated stuff.
Call it whatever you want, but at some point try to get that hurt off your chest.
Team Economics