Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl 31-28 over Mississippi State.

Started by jbcarol, November 23, 2017, 08:12:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

QuoteRare is the situation where one team is counted out all week and still manages to not meet expectations.

In 2013 Mississippi State started its third-string quarterback, Damian Williams, and had Dak Prescott come off the sideline and into the game to engineer an overtime comeback. A year later Ole Miss had lost its best wide receiver (Laquon Treadwell), was shut out the week before at Arkansas and its QB (Bo Wallace) didn't practice all week; Hugh Freeze called what is in my mind his finest game as Ole Miss' head coach, and the Rebels won.

The exception to this is, of course, 2011, the last time we knew the head coach on one side was coaching his last game [Fifty!]. Ole Miss had no chance, knew it and there were people that were a part of that program then that figuratively barely even got on the bus to Starkville. It was over 15 minutes before they arrived.

That is not this Ole Miss team, which will play with maximum effort in Thursday's Egg Bowl. The question is just how much that will matter, since Mississippi State is considerably more talented in almost every respect. That much has been reflected in the point spread, which we locked in Tuesday morning at Mississippi State -
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RyeHogFan

That is a NASTY broken ankle for Fitzgerald! Looked like it was turned a good 90 degrees from where it should be

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: RyeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 06:56:00 pm
That is a NASTY broken ankle for Fitzgerald! Looked like it was turned a good 90 degrees from where it should be

That was awful. 

RyeHogFan

str8volfan

I know exactly how Fitz feels. I had a bad wreck in April and had the same injury. 250k and 3 surgeries later, Im still not even close to normal. Said all that to say this, his career is likely over. Hate it for the kid, he had a bright future.

Boarcephus

Quote from: str8volfan on November 23, 2017, 07:39:00 pm
I know exactly how Fitz feels. I had a bad wreck in April and had the same injury. 250k and 3 surgeries later, Im still not even close to normal. Said all that to say this, his career is likely over. Hate it for the kid, he had a bright future.

In all fairness, we don't know exactly what the injury is. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

str8volfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 23, 2017, 07:50:02 pm
In all fairness, we don't know exactly what the injury is. 
true, but from the looks of it, its bad. A foot isnt made to face the way that one was. And an ankle cant pop out of joint the way its made.

Boarcephus

I've spent quite a few years in the medical field and I'm a little hesitant to declare someone's career as likely over based on a quick view of an injury on tv.  JMHO. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

str8volfan

I wish you were down here, I just had my 3rd surgery November 2nd, I hope its the last one. Its been a nightmare. I dont complain because the ER doctor at the first hospital I was taken to wanted to amputate my foot. I wont name any names, but I wont be going to that hospital ever again.

str8volfan

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

17-6, Ole Miss, with 7:13 left in the third quarter.

jbcarol

Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales
1m1 minute ago

Ole Miss has now forced five turnovers tonight, three fumbles and two picks.

jbcarol

loganlowery‏ @loganlowery
5m5 minutes ago

MSU had lost one fumble on offense all season. It has three tonight.

jbcarol

4m4 minutes ago

Jamal Peters had a pick-6 but he drops it

jbcarol

1h1 hour ago

Mullen says he plans to be MSU's coach next season

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger‏Verified account @HKellenbergerCL

Column: Ole Miss embraces the present, walks away from Starkville with an unlikely Egg Bowl win.

QuoteSTARKVILLE — When it was all over, and Ole Miss had won the unlikeliest of unlikely Egg Bowls, it was A.J. Brown, the hometown kid of Starkville who eschewed hometown Mississippi State in favor of the Rebels, who led the caravan to the end zone and the Golden Egg.

Except for one thing — when he went to lift the trophy, it was already in the air, held up by the arms of injured offensive lineman Daronte Bouldin. It was somehow fitting in that moment the combination — the uber-talented kid who was one of Ole Miss' greatest recruiting wins and has dealt with disappointment after disappointment during his two-year Ole Miss career and the redshirt senior who signed up with Hugh Freeze before he had ever coached and game and saw it all during his five years.

I don't know what's going to happen next at Ole Miss. No one does. The NCAA decision will come, and that'll go a long way toward determining who is the next football coach.