Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any historical analogy for these injuries?

Started by PurpleBullHog, November 20, 2017, 11:24:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleBullHog

Let's get this out of the way first, I don't want CBB to stick around. I liked the guy and wanted him to be successful here, but it wasn't on the cards.

With that landmine defused, I can't remember a season with this many top teir guys going down in one year. Any of you old timers have any good comparisons? I'll save my "if Knile Davis didn't get hurt, we'd've won the title" rant for another time.

Jimbob111

Well, it's not like it's year 5 or anything and anyone is expecting depth at any position...or all positions.

Every team has injuries. Every team has back ups. Why are the back ups at Arkansas so terrible? Answer that question and you'll have something there.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 20, 2017, 11:28:06 pm
Well, it's not like it's year 5 or anything and anyone is expecting depth at any position...or all positions.

Every team has injuries. Every team has back ups. Why are the back ups at Arkansas so terrible? Answer that question and you'll have something there.

first of all, I too wanted CBB to be successful here. Things are however not working out and it is time to move on. With that said, I don't think all other teams have that kind of depth. The top 1-2 tiers do, the rest are 2-4 key injuries from a busted season. Not many teams have the depth to overcome key injuries at their leading rusher HB, QB, WR, best OL-man, CB. That was rough.

mweston

Yes, it's year 5 BUT, the system CBB uses brings in 3 stars and develops them to 4 and 5 stars.  So, in a perfect world if we had hit on every recruit and developed them the way they had planned, we would have depth and CBB may be coaching here next year.  However, it's not a perfect world.  We have switched coordinators and positions coaches which in some ways hurts in the development department.  In particular we made changes at OL.  Now, we may have been ok there if Pittman had done his job till the end, but the way he left tells me he slacked off or worse yet told the recruits to go where he was going not where he was at.  This alone hurt our depth at OL to an extent and was a big setback.  Combine that with a few misses in recruiting and we are left with our current issues at OL which in turn hurt the entire offense.  I think many would agree that if our offense had been to the level it had been in previous seasons the defense did a good enough job to get us to a bowl game.  7-5 probably would have been respectable with the number of injuries we had.

ballinhog

It seems that a lot of our team is overweight. I can't help but wonder just a little bit if that has anything to do with some of the injuries. It seems like in our offseasons that too many guys put on way too much weight in way too short of time.

I remember the best I ever seen Henre Tolliver look was as a skinny freshman. Of course I know guys will gain weight as they mature but it seemed as if this staff put way too much emphasis on putting too much weight on in too short of a time frame. One of their many personnel mistakes imo

But I'm nobody so my opinion matters to no one outside of me

dfwalumdad

well the season i just watched, we seemed to do better with the back ups than the starters.

we weren't good in any aspect of the game, healthy or otherwise.

the only good things out of this season, looks like we found a kicker that's always good and maybe sosa has finally turned the corner and looks as advertised.

his statement that you can't coach to the abilities they don't have that alone should have gotten him fired immediately in year five.

cjack

I think the super quick muscle mass increase that they all seem to go through has something to do with it.  I'm just a dumb engineer and don't have any medical knowledge at all.  All I used to see were the before/after pics of our guys a few years ago and the transformation that took place.  They went from kids to body builder pretty quickly.  I don't see any of those pictures any more.  I see each game we have 5 or 6 kids coming off the field with injuries and whoever we are playing may have 1 or 2.   I have no idea if we have just had an extremely rare case of injury after injury each game or if there is something that can be done to help prevent it.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cjack on November 21, 2017, 08:22:04 am
I think the super quick muscle mass increase that they all seem to go through has something to do with it.  I'm just a dumb engineer and don't have any medical knowledge at all.  All I used to see were the before/after pics of our guys a few years ago and the transformation that took place.  They went from kids to body builder pretty quickly.  I don't see any of those pictures any more.  I see each game we have 5 or 6 kids coming off the field with injuries and whoever we are playing may have 1 or 2.   I have no idea if we have just had an extremely rare case of injury after injury each game or if there is something that can be done to help prevent it.

I've been thinking that too for awhile.  Tennessee has gone through the same thing the last couple of years.  I think today's strength & conditioning methods border on reckless.  Yeah, it's great to get stronger and bigger, but sometimes I think you can overdo it and the result is being more susceptible to injury.  The one that always gets me to thinking is "torn bicep", which you seem to hear all the time now.  Ten years ago I had never heard of such an injury.  I just think that sometimes the body gets bigger and stronger than the Good Lord intended it to be, and sometimes the body lets you know it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogimus Prime

Arkansas has never traditionally had great depth

dhizzle

I don't have an analogy for you. The injury bug is the reason why you give younger players in the previous years mop up time. There have been times when the hogs are getting blown out or blowing the other team out and younger players ride the bench. I'm not talking about redshirt players but guys that have played a couple snaps need the reps for the future. That is building depth, they might no be great but they will get better with live action reps. Now then below is a link to all team injuries. It doesn't show players that are no longer injured. Some teams have a butt load of injuries some have one or two. Arkansas is about average, however the o-line has 4 injured.

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

onebadrubi

Quote from: cjack on November 21, 2017, 08:22:04 am

Injuries are becoming more popular across football.

Bama is down 5 linebackers.
Auburn is down a rb or two and some lineman.
Look at the nfl, look how many starting qb's are out of been out.  Google the all pro IR team right now. 

It's football and we are seeing more and more injuries pop up in football. 

Bubba's Bruisers

OL and QB play were very bad this season...even prior to the injury bug.  Injuries beyond that really don't matter much.  We were toast regardless.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The NewEra

It's certainly been a bad year for injuries.  Historically I can't put it into context with any other season.  The injury situation to me is muted significantly because of so many other concerns around this team's performance over the past two years.  This is year five and greater depth should have been established on both front lines and all other positions groups.  Injuries wasn't the reason this team quit playing half the way through several games, showing no heart or will to fight.  Poor tackling, poor player development, out of position, head scratching play calls, ineffective utilization of personnel, failure to scheme round the personnel you do have, etc.

If we were a 6-5 team right now or a 7-4 team I would look at injuries and say they have been a reason for a sub-par fifth year.  The injuries have come gradually over the course of this season and our poor performance started game one and continued to this date.  Although injuries were an issue, I can't look past the problem and the problem I place firmly on coaching.

The program has been trending down for two years.  Historic blowout losses and lack of passion to play the game and win aren't because of  injuries.  As I said, I can't have a serious discussion about injuries without all of the other problems above coming to mind which for me mutes the conversation of injuries.

Hog Fan...DOH!

He lost his top QB, RB, WR, CB,  and OL .  Three other O-linemen have been walking wounded, including Frojholt, Gibson and Jackson.  And now Rogers.  K-Rich gets hurt every other play. 

That's pretty bad. 

Russ22

The reality is that the Hogs are playing football in the Southeastern Conference and virtually every coach, program and fanbase in the 14-team league has their own version of the same song about injuries or missing players:

• Ole Miss lost Chad Kelly prior to the A&M game last year and Shea Patterson this season yet they still have one of the conference's most explosive passing attack.

• Will have a new coach next season (for multiple reasons)
  • Texas A&M starting QB Nick Starkel and potential all-SEC Safety in Donovan Wilson during the first game at UCLA.

• Will likely have a new coach next season
  • Auburn lost Kerryon Johnson for a short period and is now missing Cam Pettway.
  • Jim McElwain lost pretty much everyone just days before the season-opener due to legal issues

• Will have a new coach next season
  • Alabama (yes, even Alabama) is way down the depth chart at linebacker and is struggling on the OL.
Bret Bielema has been given a fair opportunity to build this team in a way that he wanted. His decisions, both in-game and on the recruiting trail, are the reasons that the Razorbacks will not be in a bowl game this year. The woes are not caused by injuries, but injuries have not helped him.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

cjack

Quote from: The NewEra on November 21, 2017, 08:46:05 am
It's certainly been a bad year for injuries.  Historically I can't put it into context with any other season.  The injury situation to me is muted significantly because of so many other concerns around this team's performance over the past two years.  This is year five and greater depth should have been established on both front lines and all other positions groups.  Injuries wasn't the reason this team quit playing half the way through several games, showing no heart or will to fight.  Poor tackling, poor player development, out of position, head scratching play calls, ineffective utilization of personnel, failure to scheme round the personnel you do have, etc.

If we were a 6-5 team right now or a 7-4 team I would look at injuries and say they have been a reason for a sub-par fifth year.  The injuries have come gradually over the course of this season and our poor performance started game one and continued to this date.  Although injuries were an issue, I can't look past the problem and the problem I place firmly on coaching.

The program has been trending down for two years.  Historic blowout losses and lack of passion to play the game and win aren't because of  injuries.  As I said, I can't have a serious discussion about injuries without all of the other problems above coming to mind which for me mutes the conversation of injuries.

Exactly.  Injuries are not an excuse for incompetence in leadership.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Russ22 on November 21, 2017, 08:50:55 am
The reality is that the Hogs are playing football in the Southeastern Conference and virtually every coach, program and fanbase in the 14-team league has their own version of the same song about injuries or missing players:

• Ole Miss lost Chad Kelly prior to the A&M game last year and Shea Patterson this season yet they still have one of the conference's most explosive passing attack.

• Will have a new coach next season (for multiple reasons)
  • Texas A&M starting QB Nick Starkel and potential all-SEC Safety in Donovan Wilson during the first game at UCLA.

• Will likely have a new coach next season
  • Auburn lost Kerryon Johnson for a short period and is now missing Cam Pettway.
  • Jim McElwain lost pretty much everyone just days before the season-opener due to legal issues

• Will have a new coach next season
  • Alabama (yes, even Alabama) is way down the depth chart at linebacker and is struggling on the OL.
Bret Bielema has been given a fair opportunity to build this team in a way that he wanted. His decisions, both in-game and on the recruiting trail, are the reasons that the Razorbacks will not be in a bowl game this year. The woes are not caused by injuries, but injuries have not helped him.

Florida is comparable to Arkasnas this year.  Both were annihilated by injuries or suspensions.  Both are now looking for new coaches.   The rest of the schools you named didn't have 1/3 of their starters go down in the first half of the season.

NoogaHog

I may be making this up, so feel free to blast me. As far as injuries go it seems like 2012 (the JLS year) was bad on defense. It seemed like most of our seniors on defense did not finish the season. I seem to remember being about out of linebackers. It seemed that every week someone else's career was over.

It almost had the feel that players were protecting their future by not finishing a lost season. I certainly don't want to call any players out from that season, but that was what it felt like.

It does not feel like that this season. I feel like the players we lost would bust their butt to be back out there if they could.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 21, 2017, 09:12:08 am
I may be making this up, so feel free to blast me. As far as injuries go it seems like 2012 (the JLS year) was bad on defense. It seemed like most of our seniors on defense did not finish the season. I seem to remember being about out of linebackers. It seemed that every week someone else's career was over.

It almost had the feel that players were protecting their future by not finishing a lost season. I certainly don't want to call any players out from that season, but that was what it felt like.

It does not feel like that this season. I feel like the players we lost would bust their butt to be back out there if they could.

At Arkansas, we are ALWAYS about out of linebackers.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PurpleBullHog

Anybody want to take a shot at answering my actual question? I was hoping for something like "back in 68 a bunch of our fellas went down with a typhoid outbreak that Ole Shoestring Gilbert brought to campus with him," but I'd settle for "been a hog for 87 years and I ain't never seen nothin like it." Any takers? 

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 08:42:31 am
OL and QB play were very bad this season...even prior to the injury bug.  Injuries beyond that really don't matter much.  We were toast regardless.

That about sums it up.
We weren't good prior to the Allen and Ragnow injuries.
The multiple Oline injuries are recent - and the line was horrible prior to any injuries.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Russ22

Quote from: PurpleBullHog on November 21, 2017, 09:24:21 am
Anybody want to take a shot at answering my actual question? I was hoping for something like "back in 68 a bunch of our fellas went down with a typhoid outbreak that Ole Shoestring Gilbert brought to campus with him," but I'd settle for "been a hog for 87 years and I ain't never seen nothin like it." Any takers? 
I guess the reason we haven't answered the original question is that memories of the effects/number of injuries just kind of fades away - because it is part of football.

I do remember the hogs being down to a 3rd or 4th string QB in the 90's though.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

MTBrookHog

Quote from: dhizzle on November 21, 2017, 08:35:35 am
I don't have an analogy for you. The injury bug is the reason why you give younger players in the previous years mop up time. There have been times when the hogs are getting blown out or blowing the other team out and younger players ride the bench. I'm not talking about redshirt players but guys that have played a couple snaps need the reps for the future. That is building depth, they might no be great but they will get better with live action reps. Now then below is a link to all team injuries. It doesn't show players that are no longer injured. Some teams have a butt load of injuries some have one or two. Arkansas is about average, however the o-line has 4 injured.

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

Get ready to hear "But, but, but Belachick doesn't sit Tom Brady".
So sick of hearing this. This isn't the freaking Pro's. Players are already developed when they reach the Pro's.

bphi11ips

1976 is the closest I can think of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Arkansas_Razorbacks_football_team

1976 was Broyles' last season.  Arkansas started 5-1 but finished 0-4-1 after Ron Calcagni went down with an injury.  Broyles went to Tom Rystrom, and he got hurt.  True freshman Houston Nutt was all he had left. Jerry Eckwood even threw 4 passes. Broyles' offense just didn't work without Calcagni's legs.  The 10-2 season the year before had been powered by Scott Bull's legs. Broyles had this to say about the 1976 season:

"If you don't have a strong runner at quarterback, you don't have to be as strong elsewhere.  There is no offense that can't be handled by a running quarterback.  You are severely limited in your choice of offenses if your quarterback is primarily a passer."

Sound familiar?   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

texas tush hog

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Yamahog

Quote from: PurpleBullHog on November 21, 2017, 09:24:21 am

OK, I'll try. In Houston Nutt's early years, there was a season we lost to UNLV (Nevada Las Vegas) in a Bowl game. Then, the very first game of the next season in Little Rock, we played UNLV again. We had so many injuries during fall practice that year that Coach Nutt stopped scrimmaging - and it showed. If it wasn't for a Cedric Cobbs run at the end of the game we would have lost that one, too. I'm sure some other posters could provide more details.

bville_hog

Also when you don't play good fundament football, don't tackle well, don't block well, don't run proper routes and you keep putting players on the field who are already pretty banged up, you are going to get more significant injuries than most teams.

It seems after almost every play Saturday one of our guys was having to be helped off the field.  I remember playing the exact same team Miss St, years ago when Keith Burns was DC and them having to help multiple Miss St players off the field on a single play! Times here have changed.

SPAL

Quote from: Yamahog on November 21, 2017, 11:08:55 am
OK, I'll try. In Houston Nutt's early years, there was a season we lost to UNLV (Nevada Las Vegas) in a Bowl game. Then, the very first game of the next season in Little Rock, we played UNLV again. We had so many injuries during fall practice that year that Coach Nutt stopped scrimmaging - and it showed. If it wasn't for a Cedric Cobbs run at the end of the game we would have lost that one, too. I'm sure some other posters could provide more details.

There was also a year against south Carolina that we lost three quarterbacks in one game. I can't remember the year but it seems like kalimba Edwards played for the gamecocks. It sparked the common phrase of having to look on the intramural fields for a QB.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 21, 2017, 09:12:08 am

If you notice, teams that are in despair often rack up injuries.  Look to the NFL right now, Giants and others and same goes for college, when teams hit the wall of no hope they pile up. 

LA Football fan

Has any other team lost their BEST player at the different positions like we  have this year.  Every team has injuries and may lose a valuable starter here and there, but we lost our #1 RB, #1 QB, #1 DB, #1 OL, and #1 WR.  You can't possibly believe that if any other team in the SEC, including Bama had lost their #1 players at those positions that it would not have severely impacted their system.  For instance Bama, take out Hurts, take out Harris, take out Fitzpatrick, take out Ridley, and take out Bozeman their center and see if Bama is still undefeated.  Without Hurts and Harris they lose to MSU without a doubt.  It wouldn't devastate them as much as other teams because their backups are more talented already but  you can see how much it would affect a team with the most depth in the country.  Now apply that to any other team in the country that isnt bama and you can  readily see injuries to your best players at several key positions is going to have a major impact on your season.

Not excusing CBB here.   Just stating facts.  There is a big difference in losing players to injuries through the season and losing the best one you got at critical positions such as QB, RB, CB, Center, and WR.

Jim Harris

Quote from: mweston on November 21, 2017, 01:08:46 am
Yes, it's year 5 BUT, the system CBB uses brings in 3 stars and develops them to 4 and 5 stars.

Seems his system at Arkansas became bringing in 4 stars and developing them into bench warmers and bringing in lots and lots of walk-ons or guys with low-level offers.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 21, 2017, 11:22:34 am
There was also a year against south Carolina that we lost three quarterbacks in one game. I can't remember the year but it seems like kalimba Edwards played for the gamecocks. It sparked the common phrase of having to look on the intramural fields for a QB.

2000. That was Nutt's year like Bielema has had this year, such as trailing UT 35-0 after one quarter. But it came after a two-year run of 17-7, a beatdown of Texas in the Cotton Bowl, etc. And unlike Bielema blowing the Mississippi State game last week, Nutt won at Mississippi State in OT and beat LSU in the season finale to get to another bowl game.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Boog41

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 21, 2017, 11:22:34 am

That's because Nutt literally did go to the intramural fields and plucked a former walk-on QB and suited him up.....Even got in a game. Rutledge maybe?

SPAL

Quote from: Boog41 on November 21, 2017, 11:56:18 am
That's because Nutt literally did go to the intramural fields and plucked a former walk-on QB and suited him up.....Even got in a game. Rutledge maybe?

Yes.... Rutledge. I couldn't remember it. Thanks.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LA Football fan on November 21, 2017, 11:49:21 am
Has any other team lost their BEST player at the different positions like we  have this year.  Every team has injuries and may lose a valuable starter here and there, but we lost our #1 RB, #1 QB, #1 DB, #1 OL, and #1 WR.  You can't possibly believe that if any other team in the SEC, including Bama had lost their #1 players at those positions that it would not have severely impacted their system.  For instance Bama, take out Hurts, take out Harris, take out Fitzpatrick, take out Ridley, and take out Bozeman their center and see if Bama is still undefeated.  Without Hurts and Harris they lose to MSU without a doubt.  It wouldn't devastate them as much as other teams because their backups are more talented already but  you can see how much it would affect a team with the most depth in the country.  Now apply that to any other team in the country that isnt bama and you can  readily see injuries to your best players at several key positions is going to have a major impact on your season.

Not excusing CBB here.   Just stating facts.  There is a big difference in losing players to injuries through the season and losing the best one you got at critical positions such as QB, RB, CB, Center, and WR.

Good post. We also had a schedule with only three slam dunk wins even at full strength. Six other games were winnable and three were most likely losses under the best scenario. It was those winnable games, only one of which we won, that turned this season into a snowball rolling downhill. The injuries flipped those winnable games to uphill battles. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 21, 2017, 11:54:47 am
2000. That was Nutt's year like Bielema has had this year, such as trailing UT 35-0 after one quarter. But it came after a two-year run of 17-7, a beatdown of Texas in the Cotton Bowl, etc. And unlike Bielema blowing the Mississippi State game last week, Nutt won at Mississippi State in OT and beat LSU in the season finale to get to another bowl game.

Problem with trying to compare is the type of offenses faced then vs now and overall competition.  Nutt won those 17-10 in OT and 14-3. 

You do bring up a good point though in that it was coming off two good seasons.  The AU, Mizzou and VT games last season left Bielema no opportunity for a season like this to happen and survive.  We are beat to hell this season.  But maybe this will be similar to Ford where Bielema is pushed out just before it is about to turn if you want to think optimistically.  I think Bielema has failed in the OL recruiting including in signing too few but a new coach will bring hope. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

havok

Injuries or Not....The Coastal Carolina game shown there is a problem with the football program, that goes well beyond injuries.  That game, we should have rolled out our 3rd team and had the game in hand before halftime.

But they whipped us at line of scrimmage with Freshmen (One soph) o-line, up and down the field, and didn't miss a beat when starting QB went down...and had to play backup.   Our O-line played in our own backfield most of game, & we had numerous 3 & outs on Offense, to just squeaked by with a win at home (on Homecoming).

onebadrubi

Quote from: LA Football fan on November 21, 2017, 11:49:21 am

We didn't lose these players all at once. 

Lets look at this more indepth:

-Rumors allen was hurt before the season, they should have been getting someone more ready already. 

-RWIII went down in the spring, we actually covered that loss very well, we have a RB that was a top national recruit, a senior back that proved to be very good in Williams, Hayden who was tearing it up, and then don't forget the complete misuse of Hammonds.

-WR, look, Jared wasn't fixing these issues.  We had a lapse in WR recruiting that led us to this spot.  Anytime you go from Seniors to freshman at a position in 1 year you have a recruiting and coaching error. 

-Ragnow went down mid year, Most teams lose a lineman in a year.  Besides, we were majorly misusing Ragnow anyways.  Look to the game we had our best Oline performance, we moved ragnow away from center and put in rogers.  Why is this the first year we don't put our best lineman at our worse position, Bielema has been doing that since at Arkansas.  Coaching error and not being consistent with his past. 

-Losing Pulley Hurt.  Again, we went from seniors to freshman to even notice Pulley.

NoogaHog

Quote from: Russ22 on November 21, 2017, 09:32:08 am
I guess the reason we haven't answered the original question is that memories of the effects/number of injuries just kind of fades away - because it is part of football.

I do remember the hogs being down to a 3rd or 4th string QB in the 90's though.

Ahh, the legend of Wade Hill, trombone player in the band, turned SWC starting QB after a Baylor defender ripped freshman Jason Allen's leg off at the knee.

I do also remember Nutt literally having to find an intramural QB to play. Was that Sorahan? I think he had to be talked into playing.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"