Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't think firing Long was the wrong move, but....

Started by Tusks, November 20, 2017, 12:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 02:36:39 pm
There is a justifiable reason for waiting to announce, even if the new AD is known.
But he isn't.  So there's that...

This was a decision made by the "4th dumbest" part of our fan base.  They just happened to be on the BoT as well as Hogville.

So we fired our All-World AD over "access", are going to pay him more cash than we paid Dale the Wonder Weasel to leave, and we don't have the first fricking clue who we are going to hire as AD.

Is everyone else excited the GOBN is back in charge?
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 09:55:24 am
I hope you are right, but I don't think that you are.  I can't imagine that there are tons of people with the specific knowledge of how to run a major college athletics program, but if you are right then we don't have any thing to worry about.

Of course I'm right.  We could throw darts at the phone book and come up with someone who will do a better job of managing the football program than Jeff Long.  He has had two chances now at two different programs.  At Pitt he fired a successful coach, brought in his own guy and killed the damn program.  They've yet to recover.  He did the same here and we'll see if we recover.

BadHog

Quote from: Seebs on November 20, 2017, 01:03:32 pm
I believe Long has until the 30th to be fully gone. Has there ever been overlap?  I don't know.

He cleaned out his office and left. We have an interim.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 21, 2017, 10:05:07 am

This was a decision made by the "4th dumbest" part of our fan base.  They just happened to be on the BoT as well as Hogville.

So we fired our All-World AD over "access", are going to pay him more cash than we paid Dale the Wonder Weasel to leave, and we don't have the first fricking clue who we are going to hire as AD.

This is about how I feel.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to say long was all-world.  I thought he was good though.  Everything else I pretty much agree with you on.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 11:04:42 am
This is about how I feel.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to say long was all-world.  I thought he was good though.  Everything else I pretty much agree with you on.
The rest of the country sees him as All World.  I see him as very good.  But I didn't like the GOBN the first time around and was happy they were rooted out of the BAC.
All Gas, No Brakes!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 21, 2017, 11:55:50 am
The rest of the country sees him as All World.  I see him as very good.  But I didn't like the GOBN the first time around and was happy they were rooted out of the BAC.

Same.  I thought they did more damage than good

Been10Hog

Finebaum said yesterday he has heard through "his sources" that Gus was being offered a say in who the AD would be.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: tusked on November 20, 2017, 02:28:13 pm
Grant is saying he was told by what I thought he called 'a confirmed source' that Scanlon is NOT going to be the next AD.

The optics for this are terrible.  They should have had someone ready to go and then Stienz just say 'im looking for a replacement' while waiting on whatever to have the next AD in line.  Whatever being a certain time frame or something other than a committee to be formed.  AYSM a committee.  There's a difference between a named committee and a few inner circle people making a committee like decision. 

This just reeks of a mess.  For the sake of all that's razorback, have your ducks in a row.

Another Chicken Little post.  Stop it!  The sky isn't falling.  I don't understand why anybody would think it is.  I haven't heard a peep out of Fayetteville so what would make anyone think the UA doesn't have their ducks in a row?  Because HV hasn't broken some news?  Long's job line number cannot be overlapped folks.  He is still in that line number until Nov 30.  And really, how critical is the AD hire?  Who is Bama's AD or OSU AD?  Who cares who the AD is!  All I care about is the next HC!

GuvHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 21, 2017, 11:55:50 am

When Bobby Petrino was fired, I stated that Long's days as Hog AD were numbered. Many thought I was crazy.

When Long hired CBB, I stated that he had put all of his eggs in one basket with Bret and if Bret failed, Long would be fired too. Again people thought I was crazy.

Now Long is gone and Bret is about to be terminated.

If Long was as good as you think, he'd still be the AD.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on November 21, 2017, 12:22:19 pm
When Bobby Petrino was fired, I stated that Long's days as Hog AD were numbered. Many thought I was crazy.

When Long hired CBB, I stated that he had put all of his eggs in one basket with Bret and if Bret failed, Long would be fired too. Again people thought I was crazy.

Now Long is gone and Bret is about to be terminated.

If Long was as good as you think, he'd still be the AD.

We still think you're crazy
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

island hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 10:00:00 am
Letting the head coach have a hand in picking the AD is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  The AD is not the AD of the football program, but of the entire university athletics programs. 
Well said... there should always be a chain of command and if the AD is always looking over his / her shoulder, that's a recipe for disaster imo.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 20, 2017, 11:25:41 pm
New to college sports?

In my lifetime I have rarely seen ANY program have someone lined up when a guy was fired.  Look no further than all the coaches this year, for the most recent examples.  Enough with the, well Arkansas... crap.  This is just how it is done the majority of the time at all places.

You are correct in your statement.  Couple of reasons.  First there are likely federal and state hiring guidelines (Human Resources type stuff) and probably university guidelines that have to be followed with this type hiring.  Some of it even has, I'm sure, time-limit requirements when jobs are posted by the university.

Secondly, there are frequently unofficial back-channel type discussions between agents and boosters.  A feeling-out process to determine if there is mutual interest.  But generally speaking in athletics, college and pro, folks don't agree to interviews unless the position is officially open.

Unless maybe your name is Petrino.

So, no big deal the AD and HC positions are open for awhile.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 21, 2017, 10:05:07 am

Well, if it took the GOBN to rid us of Long and Bielema, then yeah I'm excited, thinking we might be in for better days with the Razorback football program.  And probably next year if the right coach is hired.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 12:16:12 pm
Another Chicken Little post.  Stop it!  The sky isn't falling.  I don't understand why anybody would think it is.  I haven't heard a peep out of Fayetteville so what would make anyone think the UA doesn't have their ducks in a row?  Because HV hasn't broken some news?  Long's job line number cannot be overlapped folks.  He is still in that line number until Nov 30.  And really, how critical is the AD hire?  Who is Bama's AD or OSU AD?  Who cares who the AD is!  All I care about is the next HC!

I can't understand this board.  For the past two years or longer i have heard how Jeff Long has ruined the football program and was driving the university into the ground also probably killing everyone's first born.  Now that he has been fired it's  "Who the hell cares who the AD is, it makes not difference anyway."  that was a really fast turn around from the AD is ruining the entire University of Arkansas athletic program to Who the hell even cares about the AD. 

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 10:00:00 am
Letting the head coach have a hand in picking the AD is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  The AD is not the AD of the football program, but of the entire university athletics programs.

Whoever is hired is clearly going to be hired for football

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 21, 2017, 05:36:02 pm
Whoever is hired is clearly going to be hired for football

Hiring a football coach and letting him pick his boss is not a good move. It sends a lot of bad signals, not the least of which is that the AD is has no power.  It also sends bad signals to the other coaches in the program  for example what if the football coach picks an AD who clashed with Van Horn and Mike Anderson.  What if you let a coach pick an AD and he picks a buddy who then doesn't want to hold him accountable, and what if he has to fire him.  it's just a dumb move to do that.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 02:07:26 pm
I can't understand this board.  For the past two years or longer I have heard how Jeff Long has ruined the football program and was driving the university into the ground also probably killing everyone's first born.  Now that he has been fired it's  "Who the hell cares who the AD is, it makes not difference anyway."  that was a really fast turn around from the AD is ruining the entire University of Arkansas athletic program to Who the hell even cares about the AD.