Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long gone clear’s hurdle for Gus to come hone

Started by Mr. Porkleone, November 15, 2017, 09:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Getting Arkansas back in charge of athletics. Long did some good and some bad. The chips are falling into place.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 15, 2017, 09:49:48 am
Getting Arkansas back in charge of athletics. Long did some good and some bad. The chips are falling into place.

Yep. That was his first stipulation when he reached out TO US.....

PRJ

MC_Hog

:puke:

The Hogfather

I like getting Arkansas guys involved again, but I'm not overly excited about Gus as our coach. 

cosmodrum

I don't want Gus.  It's not even about his coaching ability. It's about his cult surrounding him. I'm just afraid of them having their claws firmly in the program.
Go away, batin'

The Hogfather

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 15, 2017, 10:19:29 am
I don't want Gus.  It's not even about his coaching ability. It's about his cult surrounding him. I'm just afraid of them having their claws firmly in the program.

He still has a good sized group of Arkansas fans who don't like him at all and would not be happy with him as our coach.  As you said, it isn't really about this coaching ability.  I'd be just ok with him as our coach.  Not thrilled and would prefer others (Kiffin).

cosmodrum

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 15, 2017, 10:22:06 am
He still has a good sized group of Arkansas fans who don't like him at all and would not be happy with him as our coach.  As you said, it isn't really about this coaching ability.  I'd be just ok with him as our coach.  Not thrilled and would prefer others (Kiffin).

Yeah I think it would be too divisive and if he didn't win, the Nutt fiasco would be a cute little story comparatively.
Go away, batin'

Gonzo

I think a fresh start is the best move for the UA, no ties to any of the recent past (last decade or so).

Go Hogs!

navyhog24

WilsonHog

Looks like we are going to make Malzahn turn down our offer before we go in another direction. His job to turn down.

goodguytex

Malzahn is just way too divisive and polarizing to Hog fans. We need to start fresh with someone hog nation as a whole can get behind. I don't know who that should be. I'd look at a defensive minded coach who has a plan for solid OC who can run a solid offense though if it were me. Go the Kirby Smart route. Hey, it worked well with Saban.

Hogeration

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 15, 2017, 10:26:02 am
Yeah I think it would be too divisive and if he didn't win, the Nutt fiasco would be a cute little story comparatively.

If he doesn't win is the telling statement.  If he wins, he will get a statue.

WilsonHog

Malzahn makes $4.725 million a year. We may be about to see how badly we want him. If we offer to make him the second highest paid coach in the SEC, maybe around $5.5 million a year...

Dwight_K_Shrute

Does Gus ride in on a unicorn, Rick Schaeffer, or in a chariot with Pastor Ronnie.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: goodguytex on November 15, 2017, 10:54:14 am
Malzahn is just way too divisive and polarizing to Hog fans. We need to start fresh with someone hog nation as a whole can get behind. I don't know who that should be. I'd look at a defensive minded coach who has a plan for solid OC who can run a solid offense though if it were me. Go the Kirby Smart route. Hey, it worked well with Saban.

He is divisive if we don't hire him and he continues to have success.  Similar to how it was with basketball post-Nolan.  Just bring him back and get it over with if this is where he wants to be.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 15, 2017, 11:10:17 am
Does Gus ride in on a unicorn, Rick Schaeffer, or in a chariot with Pastor Ronnie.

Hell, I bet Ronnie is our new AD.
Go away, batin'

goodguytex

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2017, 11:13:27 am
He is divisive if we don't hire him and he continues to have success.  Similar to how it was with basketball post-Nolan.  Just bring him back and get it over with if this is where he wants to be.
It won't matter if our next HC actually wins and builds a solid program. Petrino seemed to be on the way to doing that. Then his own little Bobby got in the way.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Gonzo on November 15, 2017, 10:32:38 am
I think a fresh start is the best move for the UA, no ties to any of the recent past (last decade or so).

Go Hogs!
We had that with BB, how did that work out?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: goodguytex on November 15, 2017, 11:21:59 am
It won't matter if our next HC actually wins and builds a solid program. Petrino seemed to be on the way to doing that. Then his own little Bobby got in the way.

IF.  Would be too good to be true for us. ;)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

goodguytex

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 15, 2017, 11:40:00 am
There's always going to be a big roll of the dice with pretty much any HC we hire. Even those winning big where they came from. There's just no such thing as a sure thing unless you hire someone like a Saban.

lakecityhog

If any coach demanded the firing of our sitting AD he should not be considered for the job, period! If the University gave in to such a demand they would have no control of said coach and that is just plain stupid. This has nothing to do with JL, if the AD was JFB or Chuck Dicus or whoever it would not matter. You just don't run a business that way.

Matt Burks

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 15, 2017, 12:25:40 pm
If any coach demanded the firing of our sitting AD he should not be considered for the job, period! If the University gave in to such a demand they would have no control of said coach and that is just plain stupid. This has nothing to do with JL, if the AD was JFB or Chuck Dicus or whoever it would not matter. You just don't run a business that way.
A few posters (I know, that's not always reliable) said that Gus has impacted the firing of 2 other ADs - one at ASU and at Auburn (Jay Jacobs). If that is true, I agree that we shouldn't want him here.

Mellon Collie

Vegas has the over/under set at 7 "we prayed about it" during introductory press conference.

Hawginj

No we had a name coach with a winning resume. Same is what people are pushing with Gus only difference is Gus brings back an ugly past with him.

Gonzo

BB worked out badly, that's why I want the Hogs to move on from him. And your point would be?

BB not working out and having no connection to the Hogs prior are completely unrelated.

Go Hogs!

jgcat4

This is really starting to worry me. Is there anyone with ties to Gus who can legitimately confirm any of this mess?
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

BroyledNutts

In a chariot, on Rick's shoulders, next to Ronnie, pulled by unicorns ...

MC_Hog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 10:53:48 am
Looks like we are going to make Malzahn turn down our offer before we go in another direction. His job to turn down.

:puke:

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 12:53:12 pm
No we had a name coach with a winning resume. Same is what people are pushing with Gus only difference is Gus brings back an ugly past with him.
Wisconsin had only to win 2 games a year while BB was there, the rest were cup cakes. That was Michigan and Ohio State. During this period teams like App State beat Michigan, it was the worst period in their history.  Ohio state had problems of their own with the NCAA, far example they were barred from playing in the Rose Bowl, Wisconsin by default won the Big. While BB was in the BIG, it was the weakest it had been in years. Ohio State had their Sugar Bowl stripped from them when they played us.

Just look at who Wisconsin has played this year, their schedule is a joke and has been for the last 20 years.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 16, 2017, 08:49:10 am
Wisconsin had only to win 2 games a year while BB was there, the rest were cup cakes. That was Michigan and Ohio State. During this period teams like App State beat Michigan, it was the worst period in their history.  Ohio state had problems of their own with the NCAA, far example they were barred from playing in the Rose Bowl, Wisconsin by default won the Big. While BB was in the BIG, it was the weakest it had been in years. Ohio State had their Sugar Bowl stripped from them when they played us.

Just look at who Wisconsin has played this year, their schedule is a joke and has been for the last 20 years.
all that is true but doenst change the perception nationwide of the Big 10, Wisconsin or BB's  time there now does it. Even with that schedule if the Bashers win out guess what they are in the playoffs.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 15, 2017, 08:36:47 pm
This is really starting to worry me. Is there anyone with ties to Gus who can legitimately confirm any of this mess?

The PTB want Gus!

They will make him turn it down. Believe me!

duckman

For those thinking it can't be Gus you may be shocked...

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 12:53:12 pm

Another key difference: It's pretty apparent that Bielema hadn't any idea what he was getting into by jumping to the SEC West.

lakecityhog

This thread is a load of BS. The Auburn AD left over the FBI, not Gus. JL was not fired to clear the way for Gus.

I would love for anyone to provide 1 single shred of evidence supporting that either AD was fired over GM.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 16, 2017, 09:43:30 am
This thread is a load of BS. The Auburn AD left over the FBI, not Gus. JL was not fired to clear the way for Gus.

I would love for anyone to provide 1 single shred of evidence supporting that either AD was fired over GM.

No where did I say Long was fired for Gus, Gus didn't care for Long after passing on him for CBB.

But your mistaken badly. This is GUS'S job to accept or turn down. Sit back and watch

Kevin

Bring him in or bring in norvell.  Or bring in somebody else. Just ready to see something different
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

henri2

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 15, 2017, 10:22:06 am
This

jgcat4

I've heard that Kristi Malzhan and Julie Peoples are friends. Any truth to this totally unsubstantiated rumor?
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...