Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help me with razorback football question- last non SEC win

Started by Hogwild, November 14, 2017, 11:49:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Who/When was our last non-SEC, Power 5 conference team we beat in Fayetteville?

NoogaHog

We have never beaten a power 5 nonconference opponent in Fayetteville since we joined the SEC. (There's only about 4-5 games that fit that criteria: TCU, TTU, Texas, USC)

Going through the schedules, the last Noncon Major college home win was Ole Miss in 1986 in Little Rock when we were in the SWC.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

On further review we beat SMU in 1994 in Little Rock. They were part of the dying SWC then.

Tick Hog

I was gonna say Baylor in 1989 in Fayetteville but they were in our conference at the time but I think that would be the answer to the question.

NoogaHog

Last major college NONCONFERENCE win in Fayetteville?

9/29/1973 against Iowa State

Most of our big noncon games were in LR

bphi11ips

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 12:20:37 pm
Last major college NONCONFERENCE win in Fayetteville?

9/29/1973 against Iowa State

Most of our big noncon games were in LR

Yep. From 1955 forward that's the only one I found.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

NoogaHog

Going through the schedules, I did find it interesting that, in the 60's and 70's, we made schools like Kansas State and Okie State play us in LR and not in Fayetteville even though that would have been much closer.

Were the teams flying or busing to games back then?

Given the lower population of NWA at the time and paucity of good roads in NWA, would that have given the other teams too much of an advantage and allowed a lot of visiting fans to come?

I was little bitty back then and did not go to a game in Fayetteville until 1989.

NoogaHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 12:39:02 pm
Yep. From 1955 forward that's the only one I found.

I was shocked when I found that.

So, what you are saying is that, since 1955, they have had ONE major college nonconference win in Fayetteville?

That is truly amazing.

bphi11ips

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 12:41:14 pm
Going through the schedules, I did find it interesting that, in the 60's and 70's, we made schools like Kansas State and Okie State play us in LR and not in Fayetteville even though that would have been much closer.

Were the teams flying or busing to games back then?

Given the lower population of NWA at the time and paucity of good roads in NWA, would that have given the other teams too much of an advantage and allowed a lot of visiting fans to come?

I was little bitty back then and did not go to a game in Fayetteville until 1989.

Razorback Stadium didn't have lights until about 1989. WMS seated 15,000 more fans. Four games per year were played there. OSU series was never home and home until the last few games. JFB deal

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NoogaHog

Yeah, I had forgotten about the lights deal. I remember my dad talking about the fact that Broyles wasn't pushing for lights because he did not want night games in Fayetteville. He did not want a bunch of drunken fans driving home on bad, curvy mountain roads after dark.

TV money changes things.

Fan1958

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 12:53:05 pm
Yeah, I had forgotten about the lights deal. I remember my dad talking about the fact that Broyles wasn't pushing for lights because he did not want night games in Fayetteville. He did not want a bunch of drunken fans driving home on bad, curvy mountain roads after dark.

TV money changes things.

I-49 didn't hurt things.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

NoogaHog

Simple Swineman

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 12:45:14 pm

So, what you are saying is that, since 1955, they have had ONE major college nonconference win in Fayetteville?

That is truly amazing.

That is humbling

NoogaHog

Hogwild

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 12:45:14 pm

That is truly amazing.

That's why I asked the question I thought I was missing something. 
The reason it came up was I had a coworker tell me- this past Saturday was the 63rd time LSU and Arkansas have played, Arkansas has won only three times in Tiger Stadium and only twice in Fayetteville.

NoogaHog

You also have to realize over that 44 years since the Iowa State game there have been less than 10 (I don't know the exact number) major college noncons in Fayetteville. We usually only played 1, if any, major noncons a year and they were either on the road or in WMS. Many years we played OSU, Ole Miss, or SMU (in the SEC) as our only major noncons. Those were always in WMS when they were home.

We have had 2 in the last 3 years, but that is unusual, but is going to become the norm. But, I don't think we have another one until 2021 (Texas). (Thanks, Michigan)

razorcash2

NoogaHog

With further research, this fact, although sad and eye-opening, is an anomaly of scheduling.

Since beating ISU in Fayetteville in 1973, Arkansas did not play another major noncon in Fayetteville until Texas in 2004. There have only been 3 since then: USC 2006, TTU 2015, and TCU 2017. (Rutgers was Big East at the time.) So, only 4 games over 44 years.

Still embarrassing, and we still haven't won a major noncon in LR since 1994.

So, we should have that Texas game on 9/11/2021 circled to end the drought.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 12:46:35 pm
Razorback Stadium didn't have lights until about 1989. WMS seated 15,000 more fans. Four games per year were played there. OSU series was never home and home until the last few games. JFB deal

There was one game in the mid to late 80's where they brought in mobile lighting for a night game. For the life of me I can't remember who the opponent was.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 01:49:49 pm
You also have to realize over that 44 years since the Iowa State game there have been less than 10 (I don't know the exact number) major college noncons in Fayetteville. We usually only played 1, if any, major noncons a year and they were either on the road or in WMS. Many years we played OSU, Ole Miss, or SMU (in the SEC) as our only major noncons. Those were always in WMS when they were home.

We have had 2 in the last 3 years, but that is unusual, but is going to become the norm. But, I don't think we have another one until 2021 (Texas). (Thanks, Michigan)

Yes.  Posted this a couple of months ago.  We've lost all of the RRS era "return" games:  Texas, USC, Texas Tech and TCU but won 3 of 4 on the road in those 2 game series.

I remember when a number of on campus stadiums didn't have lights and they started bringing in portable lights for those late afternoon tv games which would go into the early night. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 14, 2017, 03:38:41 pm
There was one game in the mid to late 80's where they brought in mobile lighting for a night game. For the life of me I can't remember who the opponent was.

Baylor. I was there. It was a really big deal.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

bphi11ips

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 14, 2017, 04:10:02 pm
Wow! what a soberingly pathetic truth.

I'm not sure you wouldn't find something similar at many schools that didn't have annual non-conference rivalries.  If you count WMS then there are a lot of victories over OkSU and Ole Miss through the 80s. 

Home and home nonconference games have never been that common in college football.  Most teams have preferred rent a wins.  OkSU was one for Arkansas for many years.  Tulsa, too.  It was about leverage.  I can't think of too many P5 schools that have ever played other P5 schools home and home until recently.  The trend now is towards neutral site games.  No one wants to go into the lion's den unless the conference requires it.  Auburn has done it recently with Clemson.  Florida has had home and home series for many years with FSU and Miami.  Arkansas is scheduling now only because of SEC mandate, like everyone else. 

Notre Dame and Penn State were part of a bunch of great home and home rivalries, but they were independent.  So was Miami for some of their NC years. 

Arkansas also had rivalries with Ole Miss and LSU for many years, but those were almost always neutral site games before Arkansas joined the SEC.

If you figure in WMS, where all the big intersectional television games took place in the network television days, plus the general historic lack of home and home series between major college football teams, it's not as bad as it looks.  Nonetheless, it suprised me.

Atlhogfan1

It isn't too big of a deal.  The only somewhat interesting part could be the recent trend of winning on the road and losing the next season in RRS to the Texas programs in all 3 back to back games.  The big loss in Austin in 2008 not fitting since we are still waiting on Texas to return the game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Tusks

All the big games were played in LR.  USC, Cal with Plunket, Miami, even lower out of conference games with Northwestern and Navy were played in LR. 
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 14, 2017, 01:38:35 pm
Yes, beating TCU or Tortilla Tech the last few years would have helped.

No kidding. How about protecting the home field?? Good grief, 1973?

HognotinMemphis

From my teen years in '70's on, I've always thought we should toughen up the non-conference schedule but JFB would not have it. We had a game every decade that was a big deal out of conference and that was about it. See USC in LR in '72 or '73, or was it '74? Hard to recall many regular season non-conference games against any team that at the time, was a nationally competitive program. For instance, in the early '80's when I was at U of A, all I can remember playing every year out of conference was Tulsa, Navy, Okla St, and NM St. Probably 2 or 3 others but not anything memorable.

Have never regularly scheduled a home and home with a tough, nationally competitive opponent whether going back to SWC days or in last 25 years in the SEC. Very weak.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.