Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hogwild on 14 Nov 2017
  • Who/When was our last non-SEC, Power 5 conference team we beat in Fayetteville?

• #2 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • We have never beaten a power 5 nonconference opponent in Fayetteville since we joined the SEC. (There's only about 4-5 games that fit that criteria: TCU, TTU, Texas, USC)

Going through the schedules, the last Noncon Major college home win was Ole Miss in 1986 in Little Rock when we were in the SWC.
  • #3 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • On further review we beat SMU in 1994 in Little Rock. They were part of the dying SWC then.
  • #4 by Tick Hog on 14 Nov 2017
  •  I was gonna say Baylor in 1989 in Fayetteville but they were in our conference at the time but I think that would be the answer to the question.
  • #5 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • Last major college NONCONFERENCE win in Fayetteville?

9/29/1973 against Iowa State

Most of our big noncon games were in LR
  • #6 by bphi11ips on 14 Nov 2017
  • Last major college NONCONFERENCE win in Fayetteville?

9/29/1973 against Iowa State

Most of our big noncon games were in LR

Yep. From 1955 forward thatís the only one I found.
  • #7 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • Going through the schedules, I did find it interesting that, in the 60's and 70's, we made schools like Kansas State and Okie State play us in LR and not in Fayetteville even though that would have been much closer.

Were the teams flying or busing to games back then?

Given the lower population of NWA at the time and paucity of good roads in NWA, would that have given the other teams too much of an advantage and allowed a lot of visiting fans to come?

I was little bitty back then and did not go to a game in Fayetteville until 1989.

• #8 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • Yep. From 1955 forward thatís the only one I found.

I was shocked when I found that.

So, what you are saying is that, since 1955, they have had ONE major college nonconference win in Fayetteville?

That is truly amazing.
  • #9 by bphi11ips on 14 Nov 2017
  • Going through the schedules, I did find it interesting that, in the 60's and 70's, we made schools like Kansas State and Okie State play us in LR and not in Fayetteville even though that would have been much closer.

Were the teams flying or busing to games back then?

Given the lower population of NWA at the time and paucity of good roads in NWA, would that have given the other teams too much of an advantage and allowed a lot of visiting fans to come?

I was little bitty back then and did not go to a game in Fayetteville until 1989.

Razorback Stadium didnít have lights until about 1989. WMS seated 15,000 more fans. Four games per year were played there. OSU series was never home and home until the last few games. JFB deal
  • #10 by DeltaBoy on 14 Nov 2017
  • WOW !
  • #11 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • Yeah, I had forgotten about the lights deal. I remember my dad talking about the fact that Broyles wasn't pushing for lights because he did not want night games in Fayetteville. He did not want a bunch of drunken fans driving home on bad, curvy mountain roads after dark.

TV money changes things.
  • #12 by Fan1958 on 14 Nov 2017
  • Yeah, I had forgotten about the lights deal. I remember my dad talking about the fact that Broyles wasn't pushing for lights because he did not want night games in Fayetteville. He did not want a bunch of drunken fans driving home on bad, curvy mountain roads after dark.

TV money changes things.

I-49 didn't hurt things.
  • #13 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • I-49 didn't hurt things.

Yeah, but that came long after the lights.
  • #14 by Simple Swineman on 14 Nov 2017
  • I was shocked when I found that.

So, what you are saying is that, since 1955, they have had ONE major college nonconference win in Fayetteville?

That is truly amazing.

That is humbling
  • #15 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • That is humbling

Yes, beating TCU or Tortilla Tech the last few years would have helped.
  • #16 by Hogwild on 14 Nov 2017
  • I was shocked when I found that.

That is truly amazing.

That's why I asked the question I thought I was missing something. 
    The reason it came up was I had a coworker tell me- this past Saturday was the 63rd time LSU and Arkansas have played, Arkansas has won only three times in Tiger Stadium and only twice in Fayetteville.
  • #17 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • You also have to realize over that 44 years since the Iowa State game there have been less than 10 (I don't know the exact number) major college noncons in Fayetteville. We usually only played 1, if any, major noncons a year and they were either on the road or in WMS. Many years we played OSU, Ole Miss, or SMU (in the SEC) as our only major noncons. Those were always in WMS when they were home.

We have had 2 in the last 3 years, but that is unusual, but is going to become the norm. But, I don't think we have another one until 2021 (Texas). (Thanks, Michigan)
  • #18 by razorcash2 on 14 Nov 2017
  • Please don't let this grow legs...kinda embarrassing.
  • #19 by NoogaHog on 14 Nov 2017
  • With further research, this fact, although sad and eye-opening, is an anomaly of scheduling.

Since beating ISU in Fayetteville in 1973, Arkansas did not play another major noncon in Fayetteville until Texas in 2004. There have only been 3 since then: USC 2006, TTU 2015, and TCU 2017. (Rutgers was Big East at the time.) So, only 4 games over 44 years.

Still embarrassing, and we still haven't won a major noncon in LR since 1994.

So, we should have that Texas game on 9/11/2021 circled to end the drought.
  • #20 by Pigsknuckles on 14 Nov 2017
  • Razorback Stadium didnít have lights until about 1989. WMS seated 15,000 more fans. Four games per year were played there. OSU series was never home and home until the last few games. JFB deal

There was one game in the mid to late 80's where they brought in mobile lighting for a night game. For the life of me I can't remember who the opponent was.
  • #21 by Atlhogfan1 on 14 Nov 2017
  • You also have to realize over that 44 years since the Iowa State game there have been less than 10 (I don't know the exact number) major college noncons in Fayetteville. We usually only played 1, if any, major noncons a year and they were either on the road or in WMS. Many years we played OSU, Ole Miss, or SMU (in the SEC) as our only major noncons. Those were always in WMS when they were home.

We have had 2 in the last 3 years, but that is unusual, but is going to become the norm. But, I don't think we have another one until 2021 (Texas). (Thanks, Michigan)

Yes.  Posted this a couple of months ago.  We've lost all of the RRS era "return" games:  Texas, USC, Texas Tech and TCU but won 3 of 4 on the road in those 2 game series.

I remember when a number of on campus stadiums didn't have lights and they started bringing in portable lights for those late afternoon tv games which would go into the early night. 
  • #22 by Simple Swineman on 14 Nov 2017
  • There was one game in the mid to late 80's where they brought in mobile lighting for a night game. For the life of me I can't remember who the opponent was.

Baylor. I was there. It was a really big deal.
  • #23 by BoynamedWooPigSooie on 14 Nov 2017
  • Wow! what a soberingly pathetic truth.
  • #24 by bphi11ips on 14 Nov 2017
  • Wow! what a soberingly pathetic truth.

I'm not sure you wouldn't find something similar at many schools that didn't have annual non-conference rivalries.  If you count WMS then there are a lot of victories over OkSU and Ole Miss through the 80s. 

Home and home nonconference games have never been that common in college football.  Most teams have preferred rent a wins.  OkSU was one for Arkansas for many years.  Tulsa, too.  It was about leverage.  I can't think of too many P5 schools that have ever played other P5 schools home and home until recently.  The trend now is towards neutral site games.  No one wants to go into the lion's den unless the conference requires it.  Auburn has done it recently with Clemson.  Florida has had home and home series for many years with FSU and Miami.  Arkansas is scheduling now only because of SEC mandate, like everyone else. 

Notre Dame and Penn State were part of a bunch of great home and home rivalries, but they were independent.  So was Miami for some of their NC years. 

Arkansas also had rivalries with Ole Miss and LSU for many years, but those were almost always neutral site games before Arkansas joined the SEC.

If you figure in WMS, where all the big intersectional television games took place in the network television days, plus the general historic lack of home and home series between major college football teams, it's not as bad as it looks.  Nonetheless, it suprised me.
  • #25 by Atlhogfan1 on 14 Nov 2017
  • It isn't too big of a deal.  The only somewhat interesting part could be the recent trend of winning on the road and losing the next season in RRS to the Texas programs in all 3 back to back games.  The big loss in Austin in 2008 not fitting since we are still waiting on Texas to return the game. 
  • #26 by tusked on 14 Nov 2017
  • All the big games were played in LR.  USC, Cal with Plunket, Miami, even lower out of conference games with Northwestern and Navy were played in LR. 
  • #27 by Mo_Better_Hogs on 15 Nov 2017
  • Yes, beating TCU or Tortilla Tech the last few years would have helped.

No kidding. How about protecting the home field?? Good grief, 1973?
  • #28 by HoginMemphis on 15 Nov 2017
  • From my teen years in '70's on, I've always thought we should toughen up the non-conference schedule but JFB would not have it. We had a game every decade that was a big deal out of conference and that was about it. See USC in LR in '72 or '73, or was it '74? Hard to recall many regular season non-conference games against any team that at the time, was a nationally competitive program. For instance, in the early '80's when I was at U of A, all I can remember playing every year out of conference was Tulsa, Navy, Okla St, and NM St. Probably 2 or 3 others but not anything memorable.

Have never regularly scheduled a home and home with a tough, nationally competitive opponent whether going back to SWC days or in last 25 years in the SEC. Very weak.
Pages:
Actions