Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What worries me about dragging our feet.

Started by ipigsooie, November 14, 2017, 10:30:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ipigsooie

This was taken from saturdaydownsouth.com today under their First and 10. It also worries me that we get caught up waiting on Gus and we miss out on Norvell.

7. Bidding war

With a loss to Mississippi State, Arkansas almost has to fire Bielema to prevent Tennessee to get a two-week (or more) lead on the Hogs in backchannel discussions with potential coaches.

The prime candidate: Memphis coach Mike Norvell.

Norvell played for Central Arkansas, knows the state and its high schools (and has recruited it as the Memphis coach), and would be a perfect fit in Fayetteville. He's young and charismatic and will bring a spread offense diametrically opposite to crawl ball the Bielema runs.

But Norvell also has turned heads in Tennessee, and a significant number of heavy-hitting Vols boosters live in Memphis and have watched Norvell build on the turnaround from former coach Justin Fuente.

Memphis needs one win over the next two weekends (SMU, ECU) to win the AAC West Division and play UCF or USF in the AAC championship game. Getting to Norvell early through backchannels will be a critical component in landing him.

NuttinItUp

If they are backchannel discussions, why does the coach need to be fired first?

If you fire your coach earlier, then you risk getting in a situation like LSU did last year.

Hawginj

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 14, 2017, 10:52:50 am

If you fire your coach earlier, then you risk getting in a situation like LSU did last year.
exactly  and nobody wants that.

nwahogfan1

I agree.  If they have made up their mind they are letting CBB go which I think they have then I believe they are talking to the agent of the Coach they want to check out his interest.    They may be doing this with several Coach's agents so they are not putting all their eggs in one basket.

I also do not want a bidding war.  I want a Coach who really wants to be here.

GuvHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 14, 2017, 10:52:50 am

LSU got into the situation it was in by only going after 1 HC last year. When Texas got Herman, LSU was left with no choice but to hire Orgeron by default. It had nothing to do with the fact that they fired their HC during the season.

Arkansas will not concentrate only on one coach so what happened at LSU does not and will not apply here.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 14, 2017, 11:27:12 am
I agree.  If they have made up their mind they are letting CBB go which I think they have then I believe they are talking to the agent of the Coach they want to check out his interest.    They may be doing this with several Coach's agents so they are not putting all their eggs in one basket.

I also do not want a bidding war.  I want a Coach who really wants to be here.

I agree. If they are talking to agents, they are considering more than one HC possibility.

colbs

Norvell won't take a job until the regular season is over.  So it's not like Tennessee will hire him tomorrow.  If he makes the AAC it will add additional week on.  Norvell's agent may be in discussion but I highly doubt he has been in talks with any school.  Also, I assume that Arkansas has already started their search behind the scenes.

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 14, 2017, 11:27:33 am
LSU got into the situation it was in by only going after 1 HC last year. When Texas got Herman, LSU was left with no choice but to hire Orgeron by default. It had nothing to do with the fact that they fired their HC during the season.

Arkansas will not concentrate only on one coach so what happened at LSU does not and will not apply here.

It worries me more that we negotiate with sexton over gus and he needs time to make his decision. Especially if they keep winning. Thats when i think we find ourselves in the LSU herman situation.

GuvHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 14, 2017, 11:39:01 am
It worries me more that we negotiate with sexton over gus and he needs time to make his decision. Especially if they keep winning. Thats when i think we find ourselves in the LSU herman situation.

I seriously doubt Arkansas will even attempt to negotiate with Sexton over Gus until after Auburn plays Bama. If Auburn wins that game, Arkansas won't even bother to offer Gus their HC job.

Wooderson

Gus will be offered the job to quiet the should have hired Gus people. He will more than likely turn it down.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Maddhog

There are probably four coaches that I would rather have than Coach Malzahn but I will not let myself get worked up about it.      Record wise, he makes sense but, unless you've been living in Outer Mongolia for the past decade, then You know his ability as a coach is only a part of the story.  If he is hired I will wish him and his devotees the very best because I love my team and I want them to win.   Some of those kids have given so much and received so little.  They deserve some success.   If GM brings that then the fans will unite to a large degree.

Go Hogs!
Go Hogs!
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

NoogaHog

Yeah, I don't think that the UA brass is waiting to talk to coaches until after the season. I'm sure discussions are already being had with these coaches' representatives.

You know how the story goes: "Mr. Agent, would Coach X take the job at our University for umpteen million $, if we were to offer it to him?" "No? OK, then Mr. Agent."

Coach X: "I have not talked to anyone at University Y, and have not been offered a job there."
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"