Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trap Game?

Started by bphi11ips, November 14, 2017, 10:43:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Mississippi State laid it all on the line against Alabama and almost got it done.  They have to be disappointed about the way the game slipped away in the fourth quarter.  They have to be a bit beat up. Sort of like Arkansas in 2014 when they didn't wake up until the second half against Georgia the next week after Alabama scored in the fourth quarter to win 14-13.

Mississipi State gets Ole Miss 5 days after they travel to Fayetteville.  If the Bulldogs don't win but one game a year, they want it to be The Egg Bowl. 

Arkansas returns home with two SEC games left to get bowl eligible.  These will be the last two home games for a fifth year senior QB who passed for 304 yards against Mississippi State last year.  Arkansas players have something to play for.  A win here does nothing but improve Mississippi State's bowl position.  If Mullen is leaving for Florida or Tennessee, he probably knows it already, and his players may sense it, too. 

A good crowd Saturday would help the team, especially in the second half.  Arkansas is still waiting for a game where everything clicks and the ball bounces the right way.  Every team usually has one or two of these per season.  This could be one of those for the home team.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Al Boarland

Fitz is going to have a field day.

Ham Ham Pigelow

This team doesn't have enough heart to be a trap opponent.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 14, 2017, 10:46:20 am

Maybe they do.

EastexHawg

I don't think Nick Fitzgerald's feet are going to come out flat.  If he stays healthy all day he will destroy our defense.  We may put up a few more points than we have against the decent SEC teams we have played, but he will put up more.

Mississippi State is 7-3 and ranked 17th.  If they win out they will be 9-3 and probably in the top 15.  That will get them a really good bowl game.  On the other hand, what does Arkansas have to play for?  I have a feeling once Mississippi State punches us in the mouth a couple of times our enthusiasm will end up about like it has been pretty much all season and we will just take our beating.

bphi11ips

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 10:50:55 am
I don't think Nick Fitzgerald's feet are going to come out flat.  If he stays healthy all day he will destroy our defense.  We may put up a few more points than we have against the decent SEC teams we have played, but he will put up more.

Mississippi State is 7-3 and ranked 17th.  If they win out they will be 9-3 and probably in the top 15.  That will get them a really good bowl game.  On the other hand, what does Arkansas have to play for?  I have a feeling once Mississippi State punches us in the mouth a couple of times our enthusiasm will end up about like it has been pretty much all season and we will just take our beating.

You may be right, but Arkansas may very well beat Mississippi State if they decide to come out and play. 

Atlhogfan1

If we had a team capable of putting up a fight, yes this would be an obvious potential trap for MSU.  Post-Bama, on the road in mid-Nov cold NWA, early kick.  Could probably catch them sleepwalking long enough to stay in it.  But we are beat to crap and Fitz is a horrible matchup for us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TNhawgfan

Miss state can come out flat as a 5 year old girl, and i still wouldn't like the hogs chances of playing good for 4 quarters. A half, sure, but not a whole game
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Cotton

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 10:57:01 am
You may be right, but Arkansas may very well beat Mississippi State if they decide to come out and play.
You been hanging out with Cole Kelley?

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We are our own trap. Trapped in a horrible season that just wont end
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

majp51

That would require MSU to not come out and play. And here is the really bad news. MSU over the season has been decimated at the WR position. They are expected to get some of their Starters back, or healthy, by this game.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 14, 2017, 11:08:58 am
Anything is possible.  But the very thing no one ever talks about and that is the BERT and his staff .  No matter how tired and beat up the opposing team, no matter how flat......BERT and the boys will do something stupid at the critical point of the game to lose momentum for the HOGS.   Every week is always something with these clowns.   

So Yea, MSU shows up flat just means the score will be closer (50 pts loss to 25 pt loss).   Honestly, I feel bad for the players to have to put up with these fools with the same excuses each week and then "throwing them under a bus" during press conferences.

Trap Game?????    No its more like a TRAP SEASON for the HOGS.

Could be a lot like 1997. Danny Ford was 3-6 and a lame duck. Arkansas was on a five game losing streak. Mississippi State was 6-3 and came to Fayetteville ranked 15th.

Attendance in Fayetteville was just less than 40,000, about 80% full. It was Senior Day. Chrys Chukhuma pounded MSU 3 yards at a time. Arkansas won 17-7. MSU lost 14-13 the next week to Ole Miss.

elksnort

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2017, 11:01:18 am
If we had a team capable of putting up a fight, yes this would be an obvious potential trap for MSU.  Post-Bama, on the road in mid-Nov cold NWA, early kick.  Could probably catch them sleepwalking long enough to stay in it.  But we are beat to crap and Fitz is a horrible matchup for us. 
THIS^^^^.

It would take our team all four quarters of playing very well to beat Mississippi State. When is the last time the Razorbacks have played four complete quarters?

Calling All Hogs

Arkansas might trap them the first half but if we do they will adjust. We won't adjust cause Bert likes to stay the course.

hoglady

Ms. St. defense sacked Hurts something like 5 times - they should destroy the Arkansas Oline if they play aggressive like they did against Bama.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

elksnort

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 11:27:07 am
Could be a lot like 1997. Danny Ford was 3-6 and a lame duck. Arkansas was on a five game losing streak. Mississippi State was 6-3 and came to Fayetteville ranked 15th.

Attendance in Fayetteville was just less than 40,000, about 80% full. It was Senior Day. Chrys Chukhuma pounded MSU 3 yards at a time. Arkansas won 17-7. MSU lost 14-13 the next week to Ole Miss.
Danny Ford might not have been too cerebral, but did any of his teams ever quit? And yes I watched them then, just don't remember the spirit of his teams too well. It seems like they always played hard.

jgcat4

Who has more total yards? The entire Arkansas offense or Fitz feet? You make the call. We'll get hammered. Not even close.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: elksnort on November 14, 2017, 11:27:37 am
THIS^^^^.

It would take our team all four quarters of playing very well to beat Mississippi State. When is the last time the Razorbacks have played four complete quarters?

Been a while, but that is partly mental. On paper we should be much better than we have played. Sometimes all it takes is something to go right for that to change.

Arkansas was 4-5 in 2014 and had lost 17 straight SEC games. Who thought they were about to shut out two ranked opponents in Fayetteville back-to-back?

I'd rather win than lose.  I have to think these players are the same way. They do have reason to believe, starting with a healthy fifth year QB.

Seebs

This may be a trap game for Arkansas since there is no trophy involved.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 10:43:15 am
Mississippi State laid it all on the line against Alabama and almost got it done.  They have to be disappointed about the way the game slipped away in the fourth quarter.  They have to be a bit beat up. Sort of like Arkansas in 2014 when they didn't wake up until the second half against Georgia the next week after Alabama scored in the fourth quarter to win 14-13.

Mississipi State gets Ole Miss 5 days after they travel to Fayetteville.  If the Bulldogs don't win but one game a year, they want it to be The Egg Bowl. 

Arkansas returns home with two SEC games left to get bowl eligible.  These will be the last two home games for a fifth year senior QB who passed for 304 yards against Mississippi State last year.  Arkansas players have something to play for.  A win here does nothing but improve Mississippi State's bowl position.  If Mullen is leaving for Florida or Tennessee, he probably knows it already, and his players may sense it, too. 

A good crowd Saturday would help the team, especially in the second half.  Arkansas is still waiting for a game where everything clicks and the ball bounces the right way.  Every team usually has one or two of these per season.  This could be one of those for the home team.

Snouty

Dan Mullen is a very good coach.  He knows how to get his team up for a game.  We won't have Cole Kelley available this week, and I'm not sure Austin Allen is able to throw long passes, regardless of the statements we're hearing from him and Coach Bielema.  If Nick Fitzgerald stays healthy, it's going to be a long day for the Hogs.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 14, 2017, 11:41:22 am
Arkansas was 4-5 in 2014 and had lost 17 straight SEC games. Who thought they were about to shut out two ranked opponents in Fayetteville back-to-back?

Neither of those teams had a QB who should have been starting in the SEC.  LSU was, well, LSU with one of their perennially awful so-called QBs.  Ole Miss had Bad Bo for a while, then he was so beaten up that they turned to a guy who may have been the worst ever trotted out onto the field by a team in this conference.  How he got a scholarship to play QB at an SEC school is a bigger mystery than what happened to Amelia Earhart or why Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett.

Mississippi State doesn't have that problem.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Bielema has beat Mississippi state only once in 4 games. I have no faith in his ability to change the trend now
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

11 am kick.  Tickets cost .50 cents.  Its deer season.  It will be a decent day for golf.  It will not be a great crowd.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

I don't think they have to throw the ball one time to beat us by 30...and I am serious.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

EastexHawg

Quote from: code red on November 14, 2017, 12:28:43 pm
11 am kick.  Tickets cost .50 cents.  Its deer season.  It will be a decent day for golf.  It will not be a great crowd.

There is hope among some, including the administration, that tickets being virtually given away will be enough to make a few thousand extra people show up...thereby masking how disgusted the ticket buying fan base with the product being put on the field.  It will work to some extent, but not much.

Kevin

it would be if we had at least a competent team on the field
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CiriusPorker

if we win this game, I say keep bielema...

ok..just kidding.  No I don't.

Ex-Trumpet

I'm driving up for a band concert on Sunday, thought I might catch the game on Saturday.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BigK_HogHeaven

jgphillips3

Unless MSU absolutely self destructs, and I mean like throwing 3 pick 6's to us type self-destructs, no way we can beat them.  Tired, flat, trap game, whatever, they are better than us.

majp51

Quote from: Snouty on November 14, 2017, 12:16:46 pm
Dan Mullen is a very good coach.  He knows how to get his team up for a game.  We won't have Cole Kelley available this week, and I'm not sure Austin Allen is able to throw long passes, regardless of the statements we're hearing from him and Coach Bielema.  If Nick Fitzgerald stays healthy, it's going to be a long day for the Hogs.

Just FYI, Fitzgerald's backup has higher upside, and as a runner may already be better (albeit different) than Nick.

Keytaon Thompson, is only 6'4" but is faster than Nick, and the potential to be a much better passer. No 1. QB recruit out of LA, The Number 5 Dual Threat QB in the Nation out of High School.

cosmodrum

They will absolutely destroy us. Trap game hahaha
Go away, batin'

Porkchop#1

Well, we certainly are due, to show up ready to play, no doubt about that.

Not sure we have done that a time this season.

hoglady

This may be the game we finally see some of Ty Storey.

AA certainly isn't 100% and not sure the Oline will hold up well.
I can see him getting knocked out of this game.

Ms St. is awfully physical.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bphi11ips

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 14, 2017, 12:49:03 pm
Unless MSU absolutely self destructs, and I mean like throwing 3 pick 6's to us type self-destructs, no way we can beat them.  Tired, flat, trap game, whatever, they are better than us.

They have been very inconsistent. Auburn and Georgia embarrassed them.  They beat UMass at home by 11. Coastal Carolina beat UMass by 10. The only good road game Mississippi State has played was a win over A&M where Aggie QBs threw 3INTs.

Arkansas hasn't played well since A&M, which is the last time AA was healthy and set as starter. He now returns home for his last two games. Fitzgerald is good. So is Mississippi State. But intangibles come into play in college football far more than some realize. This is a game Arkansas can win and I hope there is a good crowd there to support the players.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: code red on November 14, 2017, 12:31:13 pm
I don't think they have to throw the ball one time to beat us by 30...and I am serious.
Or throw it every down, not 1 running play, and win by 30 or more.

Coach Mullen has some easy decisions to make, which ever he goes with, it will be the right one, or at least look like it against us.

Con el Cerdos

MsSt's OL is much better than our DL.
MsSt's QB,  RBs and WRs will handle the rest

MsSt's DL is much, much better than our OL
MsSt's LBs and Dbs will handle the rest

OP's right, however, anything is possible.

But the reality is MsSt is just much better than we are offensively and defensively, and the "anything" is likely going to be a beat down of our Razorbacks.

Of course, this all my opinion.

hogsgolfpro

Better put your money down now! State -12....easy winning!

Ex-Trumpet

If Dan Mullen gets beat by Bret Bielema, DM can plan on staying in Starkville next year.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

smb

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 14, 2017, 10:46:20 am
Dilly! Dilly!
GeorgiaHOG

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 01:23:08 pm
If Dan Mullen gets beat by Bret Bielema, DM can plan on staying in Starkville next year.

Good point and one that may keep Mullen focused.

007 License To Squeal

When will you realize that BB coached  teams don't work like that......they expend everything in the first half.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

bphi11ips

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 14, 2017, 01:20:17 pm
MsSt's OL is much better than our DL.
MsSt's QB,  RBs and WRs will handle the rest

MsSt's DL is much, much better than our OL
MsSt's LBs and Dbs will handle the rest

OP's right, however, anything is possible.

But the reality is MsSt is just much better than we are offensively and defensively, and the "anything" is likely going to be a beat down of our Razorbacks.

Of course, this all my opinion.

Even the most diehard Razorbacks fans would agree Mississippi State should win.  Going in to the season most would have said otherwise.  Regardless, Urban Dictionary defines Trap Game this way:

"A Trap Game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat."

Yahoo Answers defines it this way:

"A Trap Game is one that is played before or after a tough or rival opponent."

Are "Trap Games" viewed prospectively or retrospectively?  If the favorite wins, was it a trap game?

Viewed prospectively, Arkansas looks like the operational definition of a trap game for Mississippi State. 

elviscat

Get for a good ass whooping. They will beat us as bad as they want.

bphi11ips

Quote from: elviscat on November 14, 2017, 04:49:48 pm
Get for a good ass whooping. They will beat us as bad as they want.

If we win everyone will say it was a trap game.

Paul

We'd have to set a trap to have their team bus drive into a huge pit so they can't reach the stadium

ricepig

Quote from: Paul on November 14, 2017, 05:22:21 pm
We'd have to set a trap to have their team bus drive into a huge pit so they can't reach the stadium

Pit of misery??

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ricepig on November 14, 2017, 05:22:51 pm
Pit of misery??

I can only imagine the Pit of Missouri analogies next week!  Then again, we may be so far gone nobody cares.