Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Wilson should be a top fallback

Started by SONofHAM, November 13, 2017, 12:28:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

If we struggle to get the big names boosters are wanting, Frank Wilson would be a great choice for our next HC. 

-Elite recruiter
-Experience recruiting TX, LA, Memphis, MS
-Young, energetic, and fresh approach
-Born leader: student body president, Director of Athletics for New Orleans Public School System
-2nd year as UTSA HC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Not-just-a-recruiter-How-Frank-Wilson-is-building-his-empire-at-UTSA-106009796/Amp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wilson_(American_football)
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Deep Shoat

He should be our first call, honestly.  But he's likely too unknown for the "name" crowd and too unNorvell for the Norvell crowd.  He's a far better fit in every way, except he didn't play for an Arkansas team.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Razorbackers

I mean...personally, I feel like if we're hiring the HC from UTSA, that is a last option hire. He very well could be a great HC, but you show me a coach in the SEC who hired a guy who is 11-11 as a HC from a conference like CUSA that panned out.

Not to be mean or anything.

jgcat4

I'm not gonna lie. I started to scoff at this idea and then i read the 24/7 article. This guy is legit. He sounds like the real deal. Not a bad option.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 12:57:29 pm
I mean...personally, I feel like if we're hiring the HC from UTSA, that is a last option hire. He very well could be a great HC, but you show me a coach in the SEC who hired a guy who is 11-11 as a HC from a conference like CUSA that panned out.

What was the record at the program before he got there? Just so we can put his record into context.

SONofHAM

He checks all the boxes...except being from Arkansas or having played here.

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 01:00:17 pm
What was the record at the program before he got there? Just so we can put his record into context.

If I remember, he took them to their first bowl in a while? Or am I mixing up the schools down there. I might be thinking of UTEP.

Razorbackers

Quote from: SONofHAM on November 13, 2017, 01:00:28 pm
He checks all the boxes...except being from Arkansas or having played here.

That's not a box for me. I don't care if the new coach is from mars.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 12:57:29 pm

Right.  Which is why I said he should be a fallback option. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: SONofHAM on November 13, 2017, 01:01:59 pm
Right.  Which is why I said he should be a fallback option.

True, you did say that. My bad.

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 01:00:17 pm

Just looked it up. They started football in 2006 with Larry Corker as HC. They weren't eligible for bowl games, but they actually would have probably went bowling had they been. Wilson took over last year, and lead them to their first bowl game, but not their best overall record.

So it's a really new program, and he's took them bowling, which is a positive for sure.

TX HOG

He’s more than likely going to get a big gig in 2 years. I see him eventually at LSU

Hawginj

Hogwild

Quote from: TX HOG on November 13, 2017, 01:21:23 pm
He's more than likely going to get a big gig in 2 years. I see him eventually at LSU

That's the only negative is that he would leave for LSU if he is successful.  He has coached at Tennessee as well.

ChicoHog

November 14, 2017, 11:44:36 am #14 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:18:00 am by ChicoHog
What about Bill Clark from UAB who beat UTSA last week in San Antonio as a TD underdog?  He has done a phenomenal job there getting that program back on track. 

davehog