Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you think keeping Bielema for the next 2 games is wrong, read this

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, November 14, 2017, 05:42:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Bill Moos also thinks that keeping a HC through the season is a better idea and doesn't hinder a HC'ing search that can be conducted while the current HC is still employed.

Nebraska AD Bill Moos said Monday that he won't follow his colleagues at Tennessee and Florida by firing his head coach during the season.

"It's not like I've got a coach to hire this afternoon at 3:30," Moos said Monday, via ESPN. "Mike Riley deserves to finish the 2017 season. That's how I operate."

Moos conducted a football coaching search at his previous job as well. He allowed Paul Wulff to complete Washington State's 2011 season — the Cougars went 4-8 — before hiring Mike Leach after the season.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/13/nebraska-ad-says-mike-riley-will-finish-the-season/
Go Hogs Go!

hoggin

Keeping employees, of any kind, while you know they will eventually be fired, is a bad idea.  Everyone has checked out, and focusing on their next steps- NOT their current job.  Sends a bad message to assistants, players, recruits, etc...

Mellon Collie

The only way it is wrong is if Bret wins both, finishes 6-6, wins the AutoZone Bowl and returns for a few more seasons......shudder.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hoggin on November 14, 2017, 06:10:34 am
Keeping employees, of any kind, while you know they will eventually be fired, is a bad idea.  Everyone has checked out, and focusing on their next steps- NOT their current job.  Sends a bad message to assistants, players, recruits, etc...

But it sends a message to the FUTURE COACH, that even if he comes in and screws up so bad he can barely compete with Coastal Carolina, as long as he is not having off the field problems, he will get to make as graceful of an exit as possible.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Razorbackers

Yeah we should hire an interim.

Hogwild

I have no problem keeping him as head coach for the remaining two games, but my questions are with recruiting.  We just received a commitment from a JUCO OL, will he fit in the new coach system?  We have a bunch of defensive recruits coming to the game on Saturday, is CBB going to be allowed to offer these kids scholarships?

Hawginj

Quote from: Hogwild on November 14, 2017, 08:45:06 am
I have no problem keeping him as head coach for the remaining two games, but my questions are with recruiting.  We just received a commitment from a JUCO OL, will he fit in the new coach system?  We have a bunch of defensive recruits coming to the game on Saturday, is CBB going to be allowed to offer these kids scholarships?
it all comes out in the wash happens at every other school when there is a coaching change

Wooderson

You would be 100% right if you were able to have the replacement in place immediately. College football is not like the real world. Norvell is not going to up and drop Memphis with games left. It WONT happen. An interim coach does nothing to change the situation.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Hogwild

Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 08:48:04 am
it all comes out in the wash happens at every other school when there is a coaching change

the question I have, do we want CBB to continue to offer especially to JUCOs if he isn't going to coach them.  If he is recruiting road grating lineman and we have go with a pass happy offense, we might be recruiting personnel that won't fit the new system. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 08:26:19 am
Yeah we should hire an interim.

Yeah bc that couldnt possibly be any worse than what we have now. Let enos coach them. It might bring some fans to the game. It shows that change is on the way and the administration agrees that what we have put on the field this year is unacceptable. It cannot possibly do any harm to our program to rip off the band aid.

SDZ_Hog

I don't care if he coaches from a lawn chair as long as it's a for sure thing that he isn't going to be here next year.

Porkette

What I take away from this is that at least Florida, Tennesee, and Nebraska have leadership that has publicly addressed their bad situations, even though in different ways. At least their fans have been given SOMETHING.

We get nothing but silence.
GO HOGS GO!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Screw Bill Moos.  He old.  There is no wrong or right way.  Hell under the Bill Moos philosophy Les Miles would have finished the year at LSU.  They more than likely finished stronger than if they would have kept him and avoided a lot of internal and fan BS that we are seeing now.  It all depends on when you are dead certain a change needs to be made.  Once you cross that line, what's the point?  Oh Coach X or Y deserves this or deserves that.  Players deserve a lot of things as well.  Deserve to be lead, not thrown under a bus, play if they have demonstrated they can help the team, deserve not to be in fear for their life because their OL coach is worthless.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Razorbackers

Grizzlyfan

There aren't really many employment situations comparable to firing a sports team coach.  As bad as the perception is right now, it could get worse for recruits, commitments, players, and potential assistants.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 01:46:08 pm
Ask Florida.

Their season was already down the tubes.  They had made the decision to can Mc.  Why bother keeping him around.  It at least let them get a start on coaching search without having to do it behind JMs back with a bunch of wailing from the fans.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 01:48:50 pm
There aren't really many employment situations comparable to firing a sports team coach.  As bad as the perception is right now, it could get worse for recruits, commitments, players, and potential assistants.

Walmart store manager for one.  He's the HC, the Co-Man for grocery can be thought of as the DC and the Co-Man for Gen Merch can be thought of as the OC.  Both Coordinators have department supervisors under them that are responsible for different areas (the position coaches) then you have the front line associates (the team). 

See it wasn't that hard or that big of a stretch.