Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we getting "Sexton-ed"???

Started by Uncle Remus, November 16, 2017, 04:47:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Remus

So the article linked below just dropped from CBS Sports.  I don't know that I have ever seen a sitting coach who is having a successful year at a program potentially jumping to a program in the basement get so much play in the National/SEC Regional media.  Is all this Gus Malzahn name dropping and media attention just the latest in successful media driven contract bumps acquired by the hardest working man in college football?  Do we really have a shot at landing him or will we all walk away disappointed after Bret is fired and it turns out that we were never in the running for Gus anyway?  What do you all think?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-influential-arkansas-boosters-want-to-ditch-bielema-for-auburns-gus-malzahn/

Al Boarland

More like Auburn is getting "Sexton-Ed". The guy is a magician. I would expect power players at Bama to help push the narrative along leading up to their game with Auburn.

Hawginj

Thats my feelings on it i believe they will stick to Arkansas every chance they get.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Uncle Remus on November 16, 2017, 04:47:24 pm
So the article linked below just dropped from CBS Sports.  I don't know that I have ever seen a sitting coach who is having a successful year at a program potentially jumping to a program in the basement get so much play in the National/SEC Regional media.  Is all this Gus Malzahn name dropping and media attention just the latest in successful media driven contract bumps acquired by the hardest working man in college football?  Do we really have a shot at landing him or will we all walk away disappointed after Bret is fired and it turns out that we were never in the running for Gus anyway?  What do you all think?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-influential-arkansas-boosters-want-to-ditch-bielema-for-auburns-gus-malzahn/

I have an awfully hard time seeing Gus coming here especially if Auburn wins the Iron Bowl.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 16, 2017, 04:50:51 pm
I have an awfully hard time seeing Gus coming here especially if Auburn wins the Iron Bowl.
im sure you never saw petrino coming either...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HawgWild

Not a bad negotiating tool if your current employer wants to keep you around.

woodrow hog call

I think it's very damaging to his future at AU if Gus is using us to get a raise and or extension. If he plans on staying there he needs to say it very clear right now.

If he gets a raise out of this and stays on the plains, he will be hated by the fans if he can't beat bama.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

bphi11ips

Yeah. Rupert Murdoch learned everything he knows from Sexton.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Iceman

My suspicion is yes. Or this could be a Mike Anderson coming home situation.

RazorPiggie

I hope Sexton gets him a big nice fat raise at Auburn.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 16, 2017, 04:53:43 pm
My suspicion is yes. Or this could be a Mike Anderson coming home situation.

There will be far more hate for Gus than there was for Mike.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2017, 04:51:45 pm

I saw Petrino coming. Jeff Long was under too much pressure to make it happen.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Al Boarland

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 16, 2017, 04:53:02 pm
I think it's very damaging to his future at AU if Gus is using us to get a raise and or extension. If he plans on staying there he needs to say it very clear right now.

If he gets a raise out of this and stays on the plains, he will be hated by the fans if he can't beat bama.
Coaches say all the right things. Agents do the dirty work.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 16, 2017, 04:56:23 pm
There will be far more hate for Gus than there was for Mike.

Agreed. Mike Anderson was loved by most everyone since he was part of Nolan's staff. Gus, on the other hand, is despised by many for what he did in 2006 and the way he left.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Hawg Marshal

It's going to get harder and harder for Gus and Auburn to keep quiet about this.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Uncle Remus on November 16, 2017, 04:47:24 pm

We are getting Tubbervilled!!!

Al Boarland

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 05:00:13 pm
It's going to get harder and harder for Gus and Auburn to keep quiet about this.
They have a lame duck AD. They will hire the new AD in short order and put a deal together. Right now Sexton is creating leverage.

slappy

Is that how he wrecked his motorbike?

dmaxfan

Maybe he though he was just breathing hard? :puke:
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

greenEGnHAWGS

That is correct, but Petrino wasn't exactly killing it where he was at.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

phadedhawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 16, 2017, 05:04:01 pm
That is correct, but Petrino wasn't exactly killing it where he was at.

Yeah but we don't have the athletic director who made that happen so where does that leave us?

longpig

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 16, 2017, 04:53:02 pm

He owes Auburn nothing. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Razorback7

It's real simple folks. Gus is being treated the same way Nutt was back here when Nutt was let go. Why stay at a toxic environment. Then again why come to this hell hole becasue half the fan base has their heads in the clouds. The refusing to allow someone who has proven themselves to return to their home. I say make Gus an offer let him be the one to say NO. When he does go with plan B. For the Petrino guys, Grow up it is not happening ever again. Stop with the dang nonsense.

3Scoreand10

Personally I hope he never comes to Arkansas.
It this is his playing games, I hope Allbarn fires his butt and he is unemployed next year.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on November 16, 2017, 05:19:04 pm
Personally I hope he never comes to Arkansas.
It this is his playing games, I hope Allbarn fires his butt and he is unemployed next year.
He may not be here or at Auburn  next year, but he'll only be unemployed if he wants to be.

Pork Ranger

How would it work if he beat Bama and finished the season 10-2? Then goes on to play in the SECCG and possibly the playoffs??

I'm guessing he'd obviously coach those games but could he be announced here and still coach them??

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

We are going to pay between 6 and 7 mil for between 6 and 7 wins.
Go away, batin'

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 16, 2017, 05:27:14 pm
How would it work if he beat Bama and finished the season 10-2? Then goes on to play in the SECCG and possibly the playoffs??

I'm guessing he'd obviously coach those games but could he be announced here and still coach them??
Drops the Mic "Gus Out"

TrueBlue

People dismiss it, believe it or not, but there is a real possibility of Long going to Auburn as AD.

How would ole Gus feel then?

ShilohTreyDad#67

Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 04:59:32 pm
Agreed. Mike Anderson was loved by most everyone since he was part of Nolan's staff. Gus, on the other hand, is despised by many for what he did in 2006 and the way he left.

ShilohTreyDad#67

Gus was forced out in 2006.  Get your facts straight.

King Kong

November 16, 2017, 06:55:41 pm #33 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:32:33 pm by King Kong
I don't think we are getting Sextoned.

I think Gus weeks ago saw the writing on the wall and made a caluated move to have a great job after Auburn.

The big boosters he reached out to made the moves to make it happen and then the unexpected happened. Gus beat UGA.

Gus, Auburn, Arkansas and UGA were not expecting this.

Now it's a crapshoot if he comes. If he beats Bama and wins the SEC Championship. No chance he comes.

Lose to Bama and we are still in play. IMO

ipigsooie

Quote from: King Kong on November 16, 2017, 06:55:41 pm

I think Gus weeks ago saw the writing on the wall and made a caluated move to have a great job after Auburn.

The big boosters he reached out to make moves to make it happen and then the unexpected happened. Gus beat UGA.

Now it's a crapshoot if he comes. If he beats Bama and wins the SEC Championship. No chance he comes.

This story is coming together. It looked like a match made in heaven. And then UGA happened. I think Norvell may be the backup plan. I think what happens at home against bama will decide a lot. I still want Norvell but it looks like its gus unless he wins.

Poker_hog

Quote from: King Kong on November 16, 2017, 06:55:41 pm

The big boosters he reached out to make moves to make it happen and then the unexpected happened. Gus beat UGA.

This.  It's pretty simple.  If Gus wins the sec, auburn will open the checkbook and pay him Saban money.  If not they aren't going to have much of a problem letting him go. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

dmaxfan

They damn sure ain't going to fire him if they think he's going to Arkansas. They will want some money back.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Boarme

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 05:00:13 pm

I do not know if Gus is planning on coming to Arkansas or not but this is for sure how we lose the opportunity to get him.  Remember the Michigan opening and Les Miles.  The media started making such a big deal about it Miles was forced to say he was not interested so he could focus on the SEC championship game. 

FATHAWG08

Gus was on the hot seat until his win over Georgia. If Gus comes to Arkansas & say Petrino or some other top tier coach goes to Auburn are we in a better position? Auburn is a School with the right coach can be a Top 5 program. Is Gus body of work at Auburn really that impressive with the kind of recruits Auburn can attract? That's debatable.
I love off season Football!!

King Kong

Quote from: dmaxfan on November 16, 2017, 08:41:55 pm
They damn sure ain't going to fire him if they think he's going to Arkansas. They will want some money back.

He apparently doesn't have a buyout. The only money he would owe would be that of his Asst coaches assuming they don't come with him or if they aren't retained at Auburn.

So let's assume Gus comes. I'm not saying he does. Just for planning purposes

For sure all his offensive coaches will come. All are Gus guys with the acceptation of Larry Porter. Burns and Horton are of course from Arkansas.

On Defense Garner probably stays Auburn guy great recruiter the next HC would want him. I'm just spit balling here but I assume Gus would go after Tracy Rocker here currently unemployed. Coaches with Gus twice, NFL and at UGA.

Auburn's LB coach is an Auburn guy could stay and Kevin Steele the DC is related to the Asst AD at Auburn but could come if the next HC doesn't want to retain him. I see no reason Gus wouldn't bring Steele if Steele wants to come. Greg Brown DB coach would also come. He is a nomad as is.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 16, 2017, 04:55:47 pm
I hope Sexton gets him a big nice fat raise at Auburn.
Amen! I seriously would take Lester or Kiffin before Gus! Gus will be a divisive alsoran here, he can't be a consistently big winner at a school surrounded by the best talent in the country.

Hayduke

It wouldn't be the first time Arkansas got Sexton'd (Gundy) and probably wouldn't be the last.

King Kong

Quote from: Hayduke on November 17, 2017, 12:24:38 am
It wouldn't be the first time Arkansas got Sexton'd (Gundy) and probably wouldn't be the last.

We got it like 5 times from Houston

Roadrunner

Yes, we are getting Sexton'd.

Happened every year with Tuberville and duck hunting, remember?
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

pghawg1