Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn's proximity to all that talent.

Started by rtr, November 17, 2017, 07:35:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

That is mentioned over and over in regard to Auburn but has any coach really set the world on fire there? Arkansas has been competitive with Auburn since joining the SEC.  That has changed somewhat since Bielema arrived.  Has anyone considered the possibility that Gus would be better at Arkansas than at Auburn? What sayeth Ye?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hoggie17

I think Gus will hava an ax to grind with Auburn, they have treated him shabby.  He will still recruit in that area and make big a splash in Texas. He will have better recruits than we have seen during the BB years.

rtr

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 17, 2017, 07:46:59 am
I think Gus will hava an ax to grind with Auburn, they have treated him shabby.  He will still recruit in that area and make big a splash in Texas. He will have better recruits than we have seen during the BB years.
I think Ironhog nailed it,  Arkansas can recruit better skill and could be set up to be the fastest team in the West.

Hoggie17

I don't think we will see slow BiG type of players, we will see fast SEC types.

fademe

Quote from: rtr on November 17, 2017, 07:35:20 am
That is mentioned over and over in regard to Auburn but has any coach really set the world on fire there? Arkansas has been competitive with Auburn since joining the SEC.  That has changed somewhat since Bielema arrived.  Has anyone considered the possibility that Gus would be better at Arkansas than at Auburn? What sayeth Ye?

I think it would force Gus to be better on the Xs and Os side of the game. IMO he relies too much on talent and execution at Auburn rather than trying to out scheme other teams. At Arkansas, where he wouldn't have as much of a talent advantage, I think he'd have to get back to devising great schemes, which he's been good at doing before in his career.

Hoggie17

Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 07:52:19 am
I think it would force Gus to be better on the Xs and Os side of the game. IMO he relies too much on talent and execution at Auburn rather than trying to out scheme other teams. At Arkansas, where he wouldn't have as much of a talent advantage, I think he'd have to get back to devising great schemes, which he's been good at doing before in his career.

Hoggie17

Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 07:52:19 am
I think in 3 years he will take Ala down, Saban will retire.

colbs

Auburn is about an hour and a half from Atlanta...

rtr

Quote from: colbs on November 17, 2017, 08:07:45 am
Auburn is about an hour and a half from Atlanta...
Still there must be some limitations there that keeps coaches taking advantage of all that talent. 

colbs

I don't think Tuberville was just great but he did win almost 70% of his games at Auburn.

colbs

Quote from: rtr on November 17, 2017, 08:09:44 am
Still there must be some limitations there that keeps coaches taking advantage of all that talent. 
I don't consider Chizik, Tuberville, or Terry Bowden just amazing coaches and they did well there.  Chizik, Bowden, and Tuberville all had an undefeated season.  All of their winning percentages were good.

woodrow hog call

The biggest thing auburn has to deal with is being in the same state as Nick Saban, as long as he is there AU is second fiddle, and it could very well continue to be that way from now on.

Even if AU wins the iron bowl this year, when next season media days roll around, Nick is the king.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Roadrunner

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 17, 2017, 08:23:55 am
The biggest thing auburn has to deal with is being in the same state as Nick Saban, as long as he is there AU is second fiddle, and it could very well continue to be that way from now on.

Even if AU wins the iron bowl this year, when next season media days roll around, Nick is the king.

And some of you think auburn is dirty. LOL  Who do you think auburn is competing with?  You think alabama players walk their on broken glass?  Nope. 
the machine has it down to a science and it includes having the NCAA president in their hip pocket.
Everyone, including arkansas, pays. 
We just don't pay enough and combined with our geography, it's just more difficult for us.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

colbs

People act like he will automatically be able to do what he did at Auburn and some even think he will do better.  He might do but I think a lot of people are kind of downplaying the talent Auburn is able to get every year.  The last few coaches before Gus had similar or better resumes and haven't done much since leaving Auburn.  It's the same concern with Les.  His resume is a lot better than Gus' but I don't think he could get close to what he did at LSU here.

If he comes here I hope he does win and win big.  I'll support him like I do every coach.  He will be a risk like every potential candidate though.

#1 STUNNA

If hes coming with his system... the in state skill classes the next two classes are their for him to start his foundation here.

rtr

Quote from: colbs on November 17, 2017, 08:47:42 am
People act like he will automatically be able to do what he did at Auburn and some even think he will do better.  He might do but I think a lot of people are kind of downplaying the talent Auburn is able to get every year.  The last few coaches before Gus had similar or better resumes and haven’t done much since leaving Auburn.  It’s the same concern with Les.  His resume is a lot better than Gus’ but I don’t think he could get close to what he did at LSU here.

If he comes here I hope he does win and win big.  I’ll support him like I do every coach.  He will be a risk like every potential candidate though.
Yet Arkansas was very competitive with them before Bielema got here.  The series record since 1998 is even at 10 wins a piece for each team.

King Kong

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 17, 2017, 07:51:47 am
I don't think we will see slow BiG type of players, we will see fast SEC types.

Good news is our current Freshman class has this