Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell or Gus?

Started by RebelW, November 14, 2017, 06:43:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better long term for our program and have more wins?

Gus
96 (38.4%)
Norvell
154 (61.6%)

Total Members Voted: 250

RebelW

If Gus was younger I'd pick him.  Just think Norvell is exactly what we need.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: RebelW on November 14, 2017, 06:43:50 am

I tend to agree.  It's just that if Gus has a QB, he's pretty much a threat to beat anyone.  I think he would have that here for the next 3 years if CK can stay off the sauce. 

On a side note: snowballs chance in hell Auburn fires him after this season.  I mean, who in the world would take that job when they fired the last coach with a top 10 team? 

I also don't think he's leaving that top 10 team to come fish a turd out of the toilet here at UofA.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

RebelW

I agree, I just don't see it happening. He would be a Great hire, but the man is 52.. How long will he want to coach? Gus and Norvell's styles will work here. Just I believe as young as Norvell is, and this being his dream job.. He could be long term

Boarsnest

Gus will be getting a raise and extension if he beats Bama. If you can land a sweet raise and buyout why leave for Arkansas? Coach 5 more years and retire without the rebuilding headache.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Not sold on Norvell yet but would take him over Gus.  I think the program needs to move forward and leave the past in the past.

FANONTHEHILL

I just want to point out that no matter who the coach is, their age and how much longer will they coach shouldn't matter.  This is Arkansas and half the people will want them gone after two years anyway.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jwreynolds01

Norvell over Gus.  You have lost it.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 14, 2017, 08:06:23 am
I just want to point out that no matter who the coach is, their age and how much longer will they coach shouldn't matter.  This is Arkansas and half the people will want them gone after two years anyway.
It's an impossible job but at the same time you can't be going backwards against teams you should be advancing against. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Two years? How about the first TAMU, Auburn, or LSU game. As soon as we lose to somebody other than Bama, the coach will be hated and the hate will grow. And I already hate Gus.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

colbs

It depends will Arkansas be able to afford BB and Gus' buyout, Gus' salary, and Kevin Steele and other key members of the Auburn staff?

Hawginj

Quote from: jwreynolds01 on November 14, 2017, 08:11:48 am
Novell over Gus is a great call and a fairly popular one I might add.

ImHogginIt

I'll be thrilled with either one. For Shag66's sake though I hope it is Norvell  :D

ipigsooie

Yes. The 70 percent is crazy! Crazy grounded in reality. We are screwed if we get caught up in waiting on the Gus bus.

Hoggie17

November 14, 2017, 08:37:51 am #13 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:59:23 am by Hoggie17
Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 08:15:13 am
Novell over Gus is a great call and a fairly popular one I might add.
In my opinion either would be an up grade.

Gus has as a record of 51-23 mid way through November of his 6th year at  2 schools, 5 of those 6 yrs was spent in the tough SEC West. His life time average is .689

Norvell has a record of 15-6 midway through November of his 2nd year at 1 school, in the much weaker American Athletic Conference. His life time average is .714.

As of November 14, 2017 Average wins per year:

Gus.........8.5
Norvell.....8.0

RebelW

Watch, I made this poll and we are all talking about our next coach, and the fat sucker is still here next year.. Surely not... Right?

Cotton

The Gus bus is long gone. We let it drive off full of hot girls like Harry and Loyd did on Dumb and Dumber.

We got stuck with a Sheepdog instead.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Danny J

smb

As long as Auburn wins big games and beats Alabama Gus will not be coming to Arkansas. Dilly! Dilly! Look for him to hop soon to the NFL.
GeorgiaHOG

Hogwild

The New Orleans' paper is predicting Gus

QuoteArkansas
Bret Bielema: 4-6 this season, 29-32 in five seasons

How hot is it in Fayetteville? Bielema looked like a boiled lobster in Tiger Stadium on Saturday in the midday sun in his red outfit. His seat is equally hot.

Auburn
Gus Malzahn: 8-2 this season, 43-20 in five seasons

How hot is it in Auburn? Malzahn is riding high now. But it wouldn't shock if he bolts for Arkansas if Bielema gets fired.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hogwild on November 14, 2017, 08:51:46 am
and others are predicting Kiffin, Norvell, Strong, and Bert staying no one knows I'm just ready to move on with it

Mike Irwin

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with Hal Mumme about Mike Leach. Leach had been Mumme's offensive coordinator at Kentucky. Mumme told me that Leach had called him after his first year at Washington State with a question: "Know any names of decent defensive coordinators? Mine is terrible."

Mumme said to Leach, "You kidding me? You learned this game from me and I know less about defense than you do. Call somebody else."

He went on to say that Leach must have found somebody because his defense at Washington State had improved."

Norvell is a young Mike Leach. He's all about offense and he's damn good at it. Check out Memphis' offensive stats this year.

However his defense is borderline awful. If he ends up at Arkansas hopefully whoever is making the hire (and supposedly it's going to be a committee) will give him the money to hire a proven defensive coordinator. You don't win big in the SEC with offense alone. You need a good defense.

Everybody is raving about Mississippi State's offense this year. Their defense has impressed me. They came at Alabama like Kamikaze pilots. It was a great game to watch.

smb

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 08:56:42 am
A couple of years ago I had a conversation with Hal Mumme about Mike Leach. Leach had been Mumme's offensive coordinator at Kentucky. Mumme told me that Leach had called him after his first year at Washington State with a question: "Know any names of decent defensive coordinators? Mine is terrible."

Mumme said to Leach, "You kidding me? You learned this game from me and I know less about defense than you do. Call somebody else."

He went on to say that Leach must have found somebody because his defense at Washington State had improved."

Norvell is a young Mike Leach. He's all about offense and he's damn good at it. Check out Memphis' offensive stats this year.

However his defense is borderline awful. If he ends up at Arkansas hopefully whoever is making the hire (and supposedly it's going to be a committee) will give him the money to hire a proven defensive coordinator. You don't win big in the SEC with offense alone. You need a good defense.

Everybody is raving about Mississippi State's offense this year. Their defense has impressed me. They came at Alabama like Kamikaze pilots. It was a great game to watch.
Agreed should have beat Bama.
GeorgiaHOG

jkstock04

Supposedly Bielema was going to be a defensive guru, the opposite of Petrino. So much for that. With the culture of high school football these days...main emphasis on offense, it's just going to be easier for us to recruit and compete that way in my opinion.

With that said I voted Norvell. I'm ready for someone new and fresh. Let's get a guy on the way up...not someone who has leveled out or is on the way down like Bielema. I would be OK with the Gus hire but he's not my first choice...the guy has nothing left to prove really. I know he is a hell of a better coach than Bielema but in the same sense it just feels like we would be hiring another retread and he no doubt would be promised the moon and stars to come here just like Bielema. Essentially he would have all leverage...like Bielema did.

Up and comer route sounds better to me...you really don't know what you are getting but the possibility of 'catching lightning in a bottle' is there. I like the idea of getting a guy with something still to prove. We don't want someone to come here like it's a comfort vacation...that's what we got with Bielema.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawginj

It is my opinion that Gus Malzahn would work just as hard as he can if the salary was 100K annually or 5 mil annually and that is the huge difference in Bret and Gus.  If Gus wishes to return to his native state, he will if asked.  Auburn is a better job with far more expectations like actually beating BAMA.  8 or 9 win season will get you fired there and will get you a statute here.

Norvell is the hot up and comer and I wouldn't know if he had the right stuff until he faces defenses like the SEC produces.  Most fail against those defenses.  Petrino couldn't stand up to the best of the SEC defenses but he still got us respectable. 

Gus has proven he can put better defenses on the field than he can offenses on average.  That surprised me.   Gus has put Auburn as the 4th best team on average in the SEC over the 4 complete seasons he has been there and it appears this season will only make that stat better.

If Gus Malzahn would come here, he is the most likely coach out there to make us respectable again.  He has energy, a controlled ego, smarts about the game, and experience that we can see.  Both Norvell and Malzahn will have a group of schools better than us to choose from if either want another job.  Both likely will attract better recruits than what we have now.  Both could take what we have now and make them far better.  Neither Guy may want the job. 

Matt Burks

But to be fair, his defense this year has been riddled with injuries from the start. He's playing a lot of first year starters on that side and with that in mind, he's done a pretty good job.

dc10x5555

gus over anyone.....no one better than he is.

Grizzlyfan

I'll take either.  But did you know that Norvell owns a house on the north side of Beaver Lake?  Fascinating.

hawginbigd1

I don't like Gus offense period, never have. Too conservative and simple in the passing game.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hogwild on November 14, 2017, 08:51:46 am

I smell a Gruden......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

AnthroHog

Don't remember half the people wanting Nutt or Petrino gone after two seasons.  Nutt had just won the Cotton Bowl and Petrino had won 8 games. 

Seemed like the majority wanted Nutt gone when he lost at home to Vanderbilt in his 8th season.  Petrino didn't feel any heat until he crashed his motorcycle and it was found out that he had hired his mistress.

I thought the majority were on the fence on Bielema after losing the last two games last season and losing to Texas A&M for the 5th consecutive time pushed them over.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: 12247 on November 14, 2017, 09:45:25 am
It is my opinion that Gus Malzahn would work just as hard as he can if the salary was 100K annually or 5 mil annually and that is the huge difference in Bret and Gus.  If Gus wishes to return to his native state, he will if asked.  Auburn is a better job with far more expectations like actually beating BAMA.  8 or 9 win season will get you fired there and will get you a statute here.

Norvell is the hot up and comer and I wouldn't know if he had the right stuff until he faces defenses like the SEC produces.  Most fail against those defenses.  Petrino couldn't stand up to the best of the SEC defenses but he still got us respectable. 

Gus has proven he can put better defenses on the field than he can offenses on average.  That surprised me.   Gus has put Auburn as the 4th best team on average in the SEC over the 4 complete seasons he has been there and it appears this season will only make that stat better.

If Gus Malzahn would come here, he is the most likely coach out there to make us respectable again.  He has energy, a controlled ego, smarts about the game, and experience that we can see.  Both Norvell and Malzahn will have a group of schools better than us to choose from if either want another job.  Both likely will attract better recruits than what we have now.  Both could take what we have now and make them far better.  Neither Guy may want the job.

No Gus. Not now. Not ever. Never.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

The NewEra

You're the first one to bring up the most glaring issue I've had with Norvell.  I've watched his teams and really like his offense's ability to put up points.  He makes great adjustments and even though I've seen his team get down 2-3 touchdown by half his team never gives up.  During those games I've also seen a bad defense.  Norvell needs the financial resources and the personal commitment to hiring a great defensive staff and the willingness to let them run their own show.  Petrino and other great offensive minds have a tendency to neglect their defense.  You can't do that and win big CONSISTENTLY in this league over time.  Sometimes outscoring everyone isn't going to work and you need to rely on your defense to stop the other guy.

One other thing:  If Norvell is the guy, I would love to see him bring Keith Burns back to coach the defense.

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hawginj

Quote from: dc10x5555 on November 14, 2017, 09:47:25 am
gus over anyone.....no one better than he is.
lol hello Dc you Gus love is well noted.

SemperFi

I voted Norvell. I used to be the anti-Gus, but have reconsidered my thoughts on him simply because he has proven to be able to play with anyone in college football. The guy can coach. However, there is no way that he's leaving Auburn for Arkansas unless we pay him Saban like money and I don't see that happening. Norvell, on the other hand, is more than just an up and comer, the man can coach. Memphis finished out with a 50+ ranking in the recruiting wars and yet he's got his team competing with teams that beat them handily on the recruiting front. I like what I've seen from Norvell and think that he would be the right guy at the right time for the UA.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

bville_hog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 14, 2017, 06:50:44 am
I tend to agree.  It's just that if Gus has a QB, he's pretty much a threat to beat anyone.  I think he would have that here for the next 3 years if CK can stay off the sauce. 

On a side note: snowballs chance in hell Auburn fires him after this season.  I mean, who in the world would take that job when they fired the last coach with a top 10 team? 

I also don't think he's leaving that top 10 team to come fish a turd out of the toilet here at UofA.

How many coaches win anymore without a great QB, besides Saban.  Is what killed Miles at LSU.  Had everything but a QB.

Kicking Wing

Assuming Gus would be interested, he would be a no-brainer over Norvell.  Aside from leading teams to national championship games and being so focused on football that he is a weirdo, Gus's list of recruits that he could bring immediately to Arkansas is going to be infinitely better than Norvell's.  You want the guys that are being recruited by Auburn or Memphis?  Who has a bigger name in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and more of a relationship with Arkansas HS coaches?  I doubt Gus is in the mix but that is the obvious home run hire.

Hawginj

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 14, 2017, 10:40:03 am
Assuming Gus would be interested, he would be a no-brainer over Norvell.  Aside from leading teams to national championship games and being so focused on football that he is a weirdo, Gus's list of recruits that he could bring immediately to Arkansas is going to be infinitely better than Norvell's.  You want the guys that are being recruited by Auburn or Memphis?  Who has a bigger name in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and more of a relationship with Arkansas HS coaches?  I doubt Gus is in the mix but that is the obvious home run hire.
Gus is not bringing recruits with him doesn't work that way. But he is a good coach I like Norvell better bigger ceiling in my opinion.

Sho Nuff

I actually think we're a little more patient than most of the SEC fan bases.  We understand that it takes time, we just don't want a coach to be going backwards in year 5.

The Kig

Both Norvell and Malzahn will have a group of schools better than us to choose from if either want another job. Neither Guy may want the job.

Almost verbatim what I was gonna type...

My preference is Gus.  Even given that the fanbase would be divided day one with so many Gus haters.  Of the entire list of candidates, he is the only one who has actually done it at a high level. I literally laughed out load when I saw people posting concerns about his age...he is in his coaching prime with easily 10+ years left in the tank. 

A distant 2nd would be Norvell. Only up-and-comer we should consider. 

Neither may come and we may end up the 2017 LSU trying to save face with a WTH hire.
Poker Porker

Silver Hog

Quote from: RebelW on November 14, 2017, 06:43:50 am
oh man, now i have heard everything!  First Gus didn't have any college experience. Then he didn't have enough. Now that he has enough, he is too old? AYSM?  So in the 11 years Gus has been at the College level, exactly what year would he have been a great choice?

Would you take Saban now, or consider him too old too?

If you can't answer those, the answer is you just don't like Gus and will always find a reason not to.

onebadrubi

They went and got a top DC and look what it has done.  Mullen has been through a few the last few years, and he was going after top names.  He found one that worked, along with paying some good kids like top LB'ers. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 14, 2017, 11:33:02 am
oh man, now i have heard everything!  First Gus didn't have any college experience. Then he didn't have enough. Now that he has enough, he is too old? AYSM?  So in the 11 years Gus has been at the College level, exactly what year would he have been a great choice?

Would you take Saban now, or consider him too old too?

If you can't answer those, the answer is you just don't like Gus and will always find a reason not to.

Saban is 65 and will retire soon.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Paul

you lost me here

Sweet Feet

What has Norvell accomplished compared to Gus? Il wait....

ipigsooie

Every poll that is ever ran on here shows a large margin people preferring norvell over gus. Every single one of them are followed by gus huggers crying about why people dont like gus. People just dont.  You arent convincing anyone with what you are saying. You arent winning anyone over. If you want a coach here that will already be unpopular and when he starts off losing, its going to get rough quick. Did you spend this much time convincing hilary voters why they needed to vote for trump or trump voters why they need to vote for hilary? No. People just feel the way they feel and thats how its going to be. Quit crying and trying to convince people to like Gus. Its simple, a lot of people just dont like gus.  Nobody is going to get 100% of the fans out there to support them,  but you van bet there are a lot of guys out there that will get more support than Gus in our state!

Rzback

Gus, Norvell is unproven with his own players
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

navyhog24

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 14, 2017, 06:13:40 pm
What has Norvell accomplished compared to Gus? Il wait....

Dilly Dilly! Lets go hire a coach that one of our fellow SEC schools was ready to let go of before he had one win against Georgia. Then once he's hired and fails here (bc he's mediocre at best) will be hard to get rid bc of his ties to the GOBN.

Hawginj

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 14, 2017, 06:21:31 pm
Every poll that is ever ran on here shows a large margin people preferring norvell over gus. Every single one of them are followed by gus huggers crying about why people dont like gus. People just dont.  You arent convincing anyone with what you are saying. You arent winning anyone over. If you want a coach here that will already be unpopular and when he starts off losing, its going to get rough quick. Did you spend this much time convincing hilary voters why they needed to vote for trump or trump voters why they need to vote for hilary? No. People just feel the way they feel and thats how its going to be. Quit crying and trying to convince people to like Gus. Its simple, a lot of people just dont like gus.  Nobody is going to get 100% of the fans out there to support them,  but you van bet there are a lot of guys out there that will get more support than Gus in our state!
Dilly Dilly Dilly Dilly! That's all I have to say....about that!