Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Better Norvell vs Malzahn Poll

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, November 13, 2017, 10:32:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should yield clearer results

1st Choice:  Mike Norvell  2nd:  Gus   3rd:  The Field.
57 (25%)
1st Choice:  Mike Norvell  2nd:  The Field   3rd:  Gus.
30 (13.2%)
1st Choice:  Mike Norvell  2nd:  The Field   3rd:  Never Gus.
42 (18.4%)
1st Choice:  Gus Malzahn 2nd:  Mike   3rd:  The Field.
81 (35.5%)
1st Choice:  Gus Malzahn 2nd:  The Field   3rd:  Mike.
17 (7.5%)
1st Choice:  Mike Norvell  2nd:  The Field   3rd:  Never Mike.
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 228

Dwight_K_Shrute

Polls that just put Mike against Gus can give the appearance if you favor one you would be against the other which often isn't the case.

Here the Field isn't every option but in your mind the next best option.  You don't have to say who your next best option is, we have enough threads for that.

So say Chad Morris is your next best option after Norvell, but you would still be OK with Gus if we couldn't land either then Option 2 fits that criteria.

I could have put several more scenarios if Field was your top option but didn't want to go that far.  If Field is your top choice just slot that person as number 2 for this poll because it's more about Mike v Gus since that's where everything seems to be trending.

Thanks 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jackflash

if their is a change at Arkansas I believe the biggest is who will be the DC

Dwight_K_Shrute

Right now Gus is a preferred choice (1st or 2nd) on 60% of the votes.  He's an acceptable on about 74% with "Never Gus" holding up 26%.

If I was spit balling I would say that each Gus win or bad BB loss can shrink that never Gus pool down a little but doubt it would ever drop below 20%.

Mike Norvell is preferred choice (1st or 2nd) on 96% of the votes.

So a strong majority would accept Gus but higher % prefer Mike.  What's interesting is Mike tutored under Gus.  If you want GM philosophy with less baggage but maybe a slightly higher risk (reward) due to youth/inexperience go with Mike Norvell. 

If you are risk averse and don't care about the baggage you go with Gus Malzahn.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

thebignasty

I'd take field, norvell then gus but I'm not opposed to Gus or Norvell, just like the upside of some guys more.

navyhog24

No thanks on Gus. One win over at Georgia doesn't hide all of the underachieving. I will never understand the love for him.

I'd rather take a shot at an up and comer like a Mike Norvell or Matt Campbell.

With Gus, you already know what you're getting. It would just be continued underachieving but even worse with our lack of recruiting advantages that Auburn has.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

007 License To Squeal

How many SEC games have Gus's teams won?
How many SEC games have Novell's teams won?
This question wasn't asked before the last hire, and look what happened.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hawginj

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 03:15:42 pm
not a relavent question unless all candidates coach in the SEC or they don't.

hogfansince79

1st Choice:  Mike Norvell  2nd:  The Field   3rd:  Never Gus.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Birminghog

Dwight, I assume you meant your last selection to be 1. Gus 2. Field 3. Never Mike? Doesn't show that way.

Paul

I don't understand the votes for "Never Mike" or "Never Gus"

Boardon Hamsay

This is like a poll within the poll options. Sounds like an episode of "Missionary Impossible."
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

SPAL

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Birminghog on November 13, 2017, 04:00:54 pm
Dwight, I assume you meant your last selection to be 1. Gus 2. Field 3. Never Mike? Doesn't show that way.

Yes, I modified it after I originally did the poll and realized the mistake.  Should read that way now.

Hawginj

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Paul on November 13, 2017, 04:21:45 pm
I don't understand the votes for "Never Mike" or "Never Gus"

It means neither would be even your third choice.

Take option 2 vs 3 for example.

Option 2) 1.  Mike  2.  The Field  3.  Gus
Option 3) 1.  Mike  2.  The Field  3.  Never Gus.

Option 2 means Mike is your first choice, some guy in the The Field is your second, say you really like Charlie Strong, and then 3rd you would be OK with Gus.  To simplify he's not your first or second choice, but you would be fine with the hire, think he would do well, etc.

Option 3 means in no way shape or form would you support Gus being hired, not even if your 1st 2nd 3rd choice weren't available.  You are opposed to the hiring of Gus for whatever reason could be it would just split the fan base too much, or you think he's dirty, or you think he's an awful coach.  Whatever that reason is it's so strong you wouldn't support him. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 07:15:03 pm
63 to 51 close race

It's an interesting dynamic since these polls first started to pop up.  You don't see as much absolute opposition to Gus.  I think as more info leaks out and more see it as a possibility then more warm up to the idea.  Him winning also helps.  As I said when I posted instead of a straight either or it's more of a gauge of acceptance versus those diametrically opposed to a Gus hire.

Hawginj

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 07:22:57 pm
But Norvell is winning the polls!

Yeah I actually voted for MN #1 Gus #2.  Personal opinion is that both would do well.  Gus has a longer history so it's easier for people to find bumps along the way where he maybe should have achieved more.  Then there is the baggage issue for some.  Mike Norvell is a greater unknown has a good but limited body of work, but the ceiling may seem higher to some and lack of baggage could be seen as a plus by others so it's easy to understand why he would be leading.  Seems like a fresher although riskier start.

Paul

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 07:17:15 pm
It means neither would be even your third choice.

Take option 2 vs 3 for example.

Option 2) 1.  Mike  2.  The Field  3.  Gus
Option 3) 1.  Mike  2.  The Field  3.  Never Gus.

Option 2 means Mike is your first choice, some guy in the The Field is your second, say you really like Charlie Strong, and then 3rd you would be OK with Gus.  To simplify he's not your first or second choice, but you would be fine with the hire, think he would do well, etc.

Option 3 means in no way shape or form would you support Gus being hired, not even if your 1st 2nd 3rd choice weren't available.  You are opposed to the hiring of Gus for whatever reason could be it would just split the fan base too much, or you think he's dirty, or you think he's an awful coach.  Whatever that reason is it's so strong you wouldn't support him.
okay. Those voting those 2 options would cease being Hog FB fans as haters of the head coach:  the nuclear option

Hawginj

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 07:35:54 pm
Yeah I actually voted for MN #1 Gus #2.  Personal opinion is that both would do well.  Gus has a longer history so it's easier for people to find bumps along the way where he maybe should have achieved more.  Then there is the baggage issue for some.  Mike Norvell is a greater unknown has a good but limited body of work, but the ceiling may seem higher to some and lack of baggage could be seen as a plus by others so it's easy to understand why he would be leading.  Seems like a fresher although riskier start.
completely agree big Norvell fan

hog.goblin

Quote from: thebignasty on November 13, 2017, 02:27:30 pm
I'd take field, norvell then gus but I'm not opposed to Gus or Norvell, just like the upside of some guys more.

this

26.2Hog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 03:15:42 pm

How many AAC games have Mike's teams won?
How many AAC games have Malazahn's teams won?

Sorry 007, just couldn't hep mysef.   ;D

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 13, 2017, 08:23:40 pm
How many AAC games have Mike's teams won?
How many AAC games have Malazahn's teams won?

Sorry 007, just couldn't hep mysef.   ;D

Gus wants nothing to do with Cincinnati or the like.

Hawginj

EastTNHog

Dr. Leonard Ford

Is Gus still married to that woman? 

ipigsooie

Hawginj

Hollywood870

Isn't the last option supposed to be for Gus? Rigged! Poll is Rigged!

Hawginj

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 13, 2017, 09:08:25 pm
Isn't the last option supposed to be for Gus? Rigged! Poll is Rigged!
it only has one vote

Hollywood870

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 09:10:45 pm
it only has one vote
It was suppose to be Gus, the field, and never Mike. I understand what your saying.

EastTNHog

1st Choice:  Gus Malzahn 2nd:  Mike   3rd:  The Field.
- 60 (35.5%)

What am I missing here? 

GuvHog

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 14, 2017, 09:49:10 am
- 60 (35.5%)

What am I missing here? 

Your point is??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawginj

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 14, 2017, 09:49:10 am
- 60 (35.5%)

What am I missing here?
Are you asking why Norvell is winning the poll or how the poll is set up?

EastTNHog

BigK_HogHeaven

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Does anyone think Gus could recruit the kind of athletes to UA comparable to those that stonewalled Georgia last week?  I don't.  I prefer Norvell over Gus, but I can see either one constructing a decent offense. Somewhere along the line, though, either the HC focuses on defense or has a great DC.

EFBAB