Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard

Started by labb, December 22, 2017, 12:07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

So here we are almost through with out of conference pre season and getting ready for the conference grind...I think that there are some that need to rethink their evaluation of Beard...Lots of doubt cast on this kid by some at the beginning of the season. Questioning the minutes he was getting.  He has been solid so far. He seems to fit really good with Macon, Barford and/or Jones.

chiti66

Hog Fan from Camden

IMHO his good play started late last season, even though some on here still refused to give him any type of credit.  Happy to see him doing good!

wpswillriseagain

I thought he was gonna be real special after his freshmen year. He had the off the court problems but this is by far the best basketball he has played. He looks thinner and quicker so it looks like he worked hard in the off season.

DenaoStyle

Beard is a very solid college guard.  It seems he's making the most of his senior season.

It's funny how far we've come, talent wise.  Beard looked, to me, like the best guard on the team his Freshman season.

cypress rock

I remember feeling sorry for him in that big comeback game at Tennessee his freshman year. he was shooting free throws with a chance to win the game and he missed.

HogFanDan

Ugh...and him getting robbed of being the hero at Gainesville because Alandise Harris's clean block called a foul by the official 60 feet away. I still think it's the only time in SEC history a coach called out an official by name in the post-game press conference and not be fined. Still makes me furious.

niels_boar

Beard has been good at both ends all season.  He wasn't making shots that he can make early in the season, but his shooting percentages are heading in the right direction.  The encouraging news is that he is possibly a source of more treys in SEC play than he was in nonconference, which would make us even more difficult to guard. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

lynbug

I was one who, six weeks ago, was saying he needs fewer minutes.  At the beginning of the season I was fearful that he might be a detriment sometimes while trying to stay even with Barford and Macon.  However, recently he seems to have settled into whatever role he needs to play on that night.  He is currently tied with Barford for assists and when all three are on the floor together I'm not seeing the selfishness that I feared earlier.  He takes his good shots and also looks for  someone with a better shot.  I'm feeling better about the situation all the time.  And.....he appears to have lost maybe 20 pounds making him much more agile.

labb

"which would make us even more difficult to guard."   That statement made me smile and think of Guy Lewis....He liked to say "I like them players that are hard to guard." and he had a few over the years....Our team this season is "hard to guard". We got a lot of weapons...WPS!!

trippigs

He is playing well and is an integral part of the team

HogFansReunited

Beard is the most underrated player on the team. No he isn't someone that blows up the stat sheet but he does all the little things and makes the team better.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HoopS

Beard is another example of why you shouldn't listen to many people around here.

We have a handful who are true DA's who always find someone to turn on and claim Mike is making a mistake playing him.

Leave it to them and they'd have cut Beard this preseason. No joke. Like Durham a couple years ago.

They'll be another example next making them look like ignorant mouth breathers again.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: labb on December 22, 2017, 12:07:17 pm
So here we are almost through with out of conference pre season and getting ready for the conference grind...I think that there are some that need to rethink their evaluation of Beard...Lots of doubt cast on this kid by some at the beginning of the season. Questioning the minutes he was getting.  He has been solid so far. He seems to fit really good with Macon, Barford and/or Jones.

I have changed my thinking very impressed and he's playing a lot better than I thought he was capable of. Hope he continues but to this point he's been rock solid not great but very good.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 22, 2017, 04:46:26 pm
Beard is the most underrated player on the team. No he isn't someone that blows up the stat sheet but he does all the little things and makes the team better.
Exactly and he always has, I do think he is in better shape and he is playing a little quicker. He is no superstar, he is a glue guy, does all the little things, takes charges, deflects balls, rebounds, always one of the top assist guys, and scores when it's available and is solid from 3, not great. You always need these guys on a successful team.

rude1

Raises hand as guilty. Never been a fan of this kid from his first year on, but he is really putting the pieces together for a solid senior season, really playing within himself and is cutting down substantially on his biggest problem of trying to do too much.

Letsroll1200

I've watched alot of SEC basketball. With the improved decision making of Beard and the play of Jones, Arkansas has chance to win the SEC this year. Beard has been solid and he's not taking as many "what the hell was that" shots anymore.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HoopS on December 22, 2017, 05:33:09 pm
Beard is another example of why you shouldn't listen to many people around here.

We have a handful who are true DA's who always find someone to turn on and claim Mike is making a mistake playing him.

Leave it to them and they'd have cut Beard this preseason. No joke. Like Durham a couple years ago.

They'll be another example next making them look like ignorant mouth breathers again.
Damn if we could all only be as brilliant as you think you are. Beard received a fair criticism last year and it was spot on.
Now he is playing well and he is getting credit but don't act like he's been the glue he was a bad player last year. If you didn't see it then you are the one who is ignorant.

The real Hogules

Beard "this year" knows his role and seems to have accepted it.
He's playing MUCH better on both ends of the floor and isn't trying to force shots.
Beard is playing team ball and it's helped elevate his over all play.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HoopS

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 23, 2017, 10:07:26 am
Damn if we could all only be as brilliant as you think you are. Beard received a fair criticism last year and it was spot on.
Now he is playing well and he is getting credit but don't act like he's been the glue he was a bad player last year. If you didn't see it then you are the one who is ignorant.
yeah whatever. 

People calling for a senior guard to not play and I'm the ignorant one. You probably called for Durham to be cut too didn't you?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HoopS on December 23, 2017, 11:11:07 am
yeah whatever. 

People calling for a senior guard to not play and I'm the ignorant one. You probably called for Durham to be cut too didn't you?

How stupid..Just because someone is a senior he should get to be a starter??? LMAO...

Yeah you are ignorant.

HoopS

December 23, 2017, 02:39:29 pm #21 Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:31:57 pm by HoopS
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 23, 2017, 12:18:45 pm
How stupid..Just because someone is a senior he should get to be a starter??? LMAO...

Yeah you are ignorant.
when did I ever say he should start. Never.

Hogs run wild

hindsight is 20/20. most people talking bad about beard was doing so based on his body of work up to that point. he's solid now and the OP has a point, but if he starts screwing up bad, well then the other group also has a valid point.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hawgsalot

Good grief can we just brag on the kid for this year and not rub it in the faces of those who critiqued in the past.  These threads on here are getting ridiculous enjoy the team and the players, just because a few of you never criticized mike or a few of the players doesn't mean you have to come on here and claim superior you or more knowledgeable than those who did.  Be happy.

ShadowHawg

The attacks on Beard were awful. Those who did it deserve to be poked.

HoopS

There's a difference in critiquing and being jerks. Some deserve every bit of the comments toward them. If you didn't cross lines, good on you. If you did cross lines we shouldn't spare your hurt feelings now.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 24, 2017, 11:04:05 am
[/quote

Aweful??? What are you talking about most all of it was dead on..It's called the TRUTH. I give him credit but am still very skeptical but hope he continues. We need him.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HoopS on December 24, 2017, 11:21:37 am
There's a difference in critiquing and being jerks. Some deserve every bit of the comments toward them. If you didn't cross lines, good on you. If you did cross lines we shouldn't spare your hurt feelings now.

You couldn't ever hurt my feelings..You take yourself way to seriously and you also think you actually have some knowledge. Beard was fairly critiqued as he is now. He's playing well..STFU about someone crossing the line.

HoopS

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 24, 2017, 07:23:49 pm
You couldn't ever hurt my feelings..You take yourself way to seriously and you also think you actually have some knowledge. Beard was fairly critiqued as he is now. He's playing well..STFU about someone crossing the line.
I have no idea if it was you or not. I just know some of our fans were jerks and deserve any fan criticism they get.

I don't take myself too seriously and I didn't say I hurt YOUR feelings although you seem to be bothered every time I post, even if it isn't toward you. FTR, I have no idea what you've said or haven't. I do know I've read posts that were unnecessary well beyond critiquing the kid's basketball skill or decision making. Like I said earlier, if it doesn't apply to you then I wasn't talking about you.

mhuff

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 23, 2017, 10:07:26 am

Personally speaking I believe that if you look at last years full load of work , you will see that he improved from the year before on 3P percentage and FT percentage especially for most of the year. I was proud of his hard work.

Rawker

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 24, 2017, 11:04:05 am

Poke me then.  I love that his shots are falling, and his defense has been solid.  I love all BBall Hogs either deep in my heart or as worn on my sleeve (i.e., Gafford, Macon, Barford).  But I still have yet to see Beard so much as glance at an open man for a shot as opposed to opt to go one-on-4 in the trees.  That's why he drives me nuts.  And watch Macon...drives him nuts too....I've seen Macon literally barking at Beard about it (Beard not hearing it because he rarely looks at another teammate to know where it's coming from).  But thankfully many of those ill-advised one-man blitzkriegs have been working.  But we'll see how much it does in SEC play.  Count the successes in that regard and come back later and throw them back in my face.  I'll be happy to turn the other cheek for additional smacks if it means we're winning.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rawker on December 25, 2017, 11:56:26 am
Poke me then.  I love that his shots are falling, and his defense has been solid.  I love all BBall Hogs either deep in my heart or as worn on my sleeve (i.e., Gafford, Macon, Barford).  But I still have yet to see Beard so much as glance at an open man for a shot as opposed to opt to go one-on-4 in the trees.  That's why he drives me nuts.  And watch Macon...drives him nuts too....I've seen Macon literally barking at Beard about it (Beard not hearing it because he rarely looks at another teammate to know where it's coming from).  But thankfully many of those ill-advised one-man blitzkriegs have been working.  But we'll see how much it does in SEC play.  Count the successes in that regard and come back later and throw them back in my face.  I'll be happy to turn the other cheek for additional smacks if it means we're winning.

Firm and resolute, haha. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.  ;D

AlmaHog2011

Umm bam drop the mic.

ShadowHawg

He's second on the team in assists.

Drop the mic................

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 25, 2017, 08:32:33 pm
He's second on the team in assists.

Drop the mic................

You showed me

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 25, 2017, 08:53:02 pm
You showed me

I believe your claim is that he passes up OPEN guys purposely to get his own shot all the time. Looks like stats make that a questionable claim.

The guy is in there to provide toughness to the team anyway. His true value isn't in  being Barford or Macon for this team and he isn't expected to be either.

There are only 4 guys on the roster I would consider tough on the court. 2 of them are frosh and one isn't ready for a big role. That leaves 3 guys on the roster to cover 40 minutes with.

Managing personalities is a huge but overlooked part of getting the most out if a team.

azhog10

Ive also seem Macon get upset when he didn't get the ball or hasn't shot it in a while even when the team is making shots and succeeding. Macon can be just as selfish and instead of crashing the glass or locking down defensively Macon can get into a phase where he's sulking almost. Beard at least keeps just playing and you can't evwr see him get too high or too low.