Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like we are setting up win the Trifecta!!

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 08:19:35 pm
Yep, no doubt, $7-8m salary and $20m buyout, which will be fine with me.

Armani Ronnie will be happy!!

ricepig

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 08:29:12 pm
I'd like to roundhouse Paul Finebaum for mentioning this as a possible scenario. I can't believe so many have fallen for this nonsense. There's 0.0% chance Gus ever coaches @ Arkansas!!

I'm good with Malzahn or Norvell, but I would love to see Malzahn get it if for no other reason than to see some of y'all's reactions...

ur

Quote from: shshark00 on November 13, 2017, 08:28:07 pm
Yes that’s the language in the contract. So I’m obviously assuming anyone left behind won’t be retained by their new coach which means he brings his whole staff or pays the buyout for those left behind.
most are ark or aub guys so pretty good chance they would get picked. I'm sure their contracts are mitigated also if they get jobs elsewhere.  http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/m-footbl-coaches.html

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hollywood870

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 08:07:17 pm
One thing you might want to consider...without this "GOBN," we might well be looking at another year of Long and Bielema.

Given that, I'm all for letting those gentlemen hash this thing out.
Good Ole Boys to the Rescue

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 13, 2017, 08:39:00 pm
Good Ole Boys to the Rescue

I'm not talking about Hogville. I'm talking about those up on the hill that want to live 20-30 years in the past. Honestly, Brett fired himself, and if Hogville had a vote CBB wouldn't have been hired. Also, Norvell is the better choice for The Arkansas Razorbacks.

grayhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 08:34:59 pm
I'm good with Malzahn or Norvell, but I would love to see Malzahn get it if for no other reason than to see some of y'all's reactions...
Two or three people say it's job if he wants it. Now if he does come I will support him and if he turns us down I will fine with that as well. Then these guys who have been saying Arkansas was his dream job will be eating crow. After going through a few of these coach searches I believe in only a few days after the announcement, (Dana Altman effect)

shown006

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm
Can we really win the Trifecta?
1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!
3.  The Gus Bus comes to NWA!!!

WPS!!!!
Exacta.  But no Tri.  To hit the Tri need #3 to be the Mike Norvell bus comes to NWA!
WPS!

Hollywood870

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 08:43:01 pm
I'm not talking about Hogville. I'm talking about those up on the hill that want to live 20-30 years in the past. Honestly, Brett fired himself, and if Hogville had a vote CBB wouldn't have been hired. Also, Norvell is the better choice for The Arkansas Razorbacks.
I know who The GOBN is.

hotdog hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 08:01:31 pm
We need to go forward not backwards.. no more GOBN. Start over. Gus has had success with a bought QB and a transfer, not even with top 10 classes. Norvell is what we need and I hope we are FORTUNATE enough to call him coach.
Norvill is a good option and probably more realistic. I really like him. But you would be foolish to take him over a proven winner in his prime. Bill Parcells said it best, "Potential will get you beat!"

GuvHog

Quote from: grayhawg on November 13, 2017, 08:44:32 pm
Two or three people say it's job if he wants it. Now if he does come I will support him and if he turns us down I will fine with that as well. Then these guys who have been saying Arkansas was his dream job will be eating crow. After going through a few of these coach searches I believe in only a few days after the announcement, (Dana Altman effect)

Auburn gets Bama at home this year. After what they did to Georgia, if they beat Bama, Arkansas won't even bother making Gus an offer.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

H&D

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 13, 2017, 06:04:29 pm
How does firing an inept AD hurt the football team going forward?

Was Jeff calling plays or doing some recruiting that I don't know about?

Inept? By who's standard? Have you been on the Hill lately? He's the athletic director, not the Football Director.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hawg Life

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 13, 2017, 09:00:21 pm
Norvill is a good option and probably more realistic. I really like him. But you would be foolish to take him over a proven winner in his prime. Bill Parcells said it best, "Potential will get you beat!"

Take away the Cam years because he wasn't coming here, and take away this year because Stidham wasn't coming here. You'll see that Gus despite his recruiting advantages being in the top 10 every year and Gus has averaged 8 wins a season. If he can only average 8 wins with top 10 recruiting classes what makes you think he'll average 7wins here. I don't think he will, and we'll never know.

oldbooniehog

I cannot be described as a "Gus fan."

I personally don't think he'll be the next Arkansas coach.

However, I can see reasons why he might actually take the Arkansas job, should he be presented with it.

1) He's an Arkansan. Born and raised in the state. Went to college in Arkansas (Arkansas and Henderson State). All his high school coaching jobs were in Arkansas. Heck, went to Arkansas State for his first college head coaching gig.

2) He's 52 years old. He's got what, maybe 10 more years left as an NCAA Head Coach? In 2016, there were only 14 NCAA head coaches in all of college football older than 60. Malzahn is only 8 years from being 60. (link to coach age article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2657850-college-footballs-oldest-and-youngest-coaches-in-2016)

3) He knows that all it takes is one more 7-5 season at Auburn and he's fired, booted, kicked out, sent packing. Just a few short weeks ago, he topped the list of SEC Coaches on the proverbial "hot seat." That situation at Auburn has been building for a while with Malzahn, too.

4) If he "came home" to Arkansas, he'd be the golden boy, the hero, the "savior" if you will of Hog football. At least that's how lots of folks would view him initially. He would be the recipient of oceans of good will and good feelings.

5) Even if he eventually got canned at Arkansas, it would take probably at least 5 years to happen, and he'd be 57 years old by then. He'd be back in his home state, where he has lots of family and friends. He'd take his buyout and already be moved home, so to speak.

Again, I'm not a Gus fan, and I don't think he will be the next coach at Arkansas.

But even I can see logical reasons why he might take the job, if presented with the opportunity.

1highhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 08:34:59 pm

Prepare to be disappointed Wilson, he's not coming here.  I'm all for Long and Bielema leaving but and I hope we get a great coach that preaches defense, but hires the best of the best assistants out there and then let's them do their jobs.  And, I hope they all are ace recruiters in the state of Texas and Louisiana and Florida.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hollywood870

There will be an epic celebration/meltdown on the board if Gus ends up being the guy. Best of both worlds. This alone...

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 13, 2017, 09:39:13 pm
There will be an epic celebration/meltdown on the board if Gus ends up being the guy. Best of both worlds. This alone...

Too bad.. it'll never happen.

1highhog

LOL, don't worry about it, Gus is never going to be here as Coach.

ipigsooie

I want norvell but if we get Gus I'll be happy. He is a good coach and I don't really care about the political bs. My biggest fear is Gus dragging us along and we end up missing out on Norvell.  If he wants the job, take it after the iron bowl. If not, turn it down. If he needs more time, move along.

hotdog hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 09:06:46 pm
Take away the Cam years because he wasn't coming here, and take away this year because Stidham wasn't coming here. You'll see that Gus despite his recruiting advantages being in the top 10 every year and Gus has averaged 8 wins a season. If he can only average 8 wins with top 10 recruiting classes what makes you think he'll average 7wins here. I don't think he will, and we'll never know.
Bill Parcells would be pretty average without Tom Brady, what's your point? Most teams need a good QB to be successful. Good players will want to play for him here too. But I agree he's a longshot.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 07:14:27 pm
Tubbs will hire Norvell, not Gus. But, it doesn't matter because Gus ain't going to be offered the job.

Already has been Hoss.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 09:32:16 pm
Prepare to be disappointed Wilson, he's not coming here.  I'm all for Long and Bielema leaving but and I hope we get a great coach that preaches defense, but hires the best of the best assistants out there and then let's them do their jobs.  And, I hope they all are ace recruiters in the state of Texas and Louisiana and Florida.

Well...the job is his if he WANTS IT.

PRJ

hogblitz

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 13, 2017, 09:53:55 pm

PRJ
What if our top 2 choices are Gus and Norvell.  Hypothetically, let's say each wins out.  However, one wants to be our coach.  Will they still get rid of CBB right after the final game of season? Or will they make us go through several more weeks of worrying if they are going to get rid of him?  They could string it out because of December signing period.  I would rather CBB get canned and just not have a coach for a few weeks. 

1highhog

PRJ

I do know for a certainty that he's not coming, PRJ, you like to come on here and make these claims of having inside knowledge, I have no problem with that, perhaps you do.  But I do know that he's NOT coming.  People can take that or leave that.  I will stand by that 100%.

Hawg Life

PRJ

If ANYTHING he'll use us to get a raise and extension, and I doubt even that happens. Maybe, Gus will pull a Tubberville on us.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 09:06:46 pm
Take away the Cam years because he wasn’t coming here, and take away this year because Stidham wasn’t coming here. You’ll see that Gus despite his recruiting advantages being in the top 10 every year and Gus has averaged 8 wins a season. If he can only average 8 wins with top 10 recruiting classes what makes you think he’ll average 7wins here. I don’t think he will, and we’ll never know.

Take away the highly rated quarterbacks he signed but keep the high recruiting ranking and see what happens?

and (as I saw in another thread)

Forget the win against #1 UGA because they're not really a number one team.

I guess whatever it takes for you guys...

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 10:06:02 pm
I do know for a certainty that he's not coming, PRJ, you like to come on here and make these claims of having inside knowledge, I have no problem with that, perhaps you do.  But I do know that he's NOT coming.  People can take that or leave that.  I will stand by that 100%.

If he wants it....it's his.

Now, I don't know if he will or not. I don't claim anything other than how this is played out.

Secondly, I would rather have Norvell.

PRJ

Hawg Life

You sir are 100% correct!!

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 10:07:17 pm
If ANYTHING he'll use us to get a raise and extension, and I doubt even that happens. Maybe, Gus will pull a Tubberville on us.

Again....if he does, he does.

I would rather have Mike Norvell.

PRJ

PossumFan

Quote from: razorpimp on November 13, 2017, 06:17:45 pm
They need to do the ol corporate switcheroo....

Have JL fire BB
Then you fire JL

It's beautiful and rotten

That's not the old switcheroo. No, no, the old switcheroo is you poison your drink then you switch it
with the other person's.

(Seinfeld reference)

hogblitz

So, who do you suspect is?

Hawg Life

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 13, 2017, 10:07:50 pm
If he wants it....it's his.

Now, I don't know if he will or not. I don't claim anything other than how this is played out.

Secondly, I would rather have Norvell.

PRJ

Me too. Hopefully, Jimmy Sexton doesn't drag it out and it happens right after the Missouri game.

porkrindjimmy

And I ain't campaigning for Gus. 6 years ago, maybe, but I am not. As I said, I would rather have Norvell....

PRJ

The Boar War

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 07:49:56 pm
You're not going to be shocked, I can promise you Gus will not be coach after Bielema is let go.

Words matter.  You promise that it will not happen.  How do you know?  I'm not saying you aren't in the know but to promise that he will not be coach after Bielema is let go means you have some pretty good access.

Otherwise it's "I don't think Gus...."

Hawg Life

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 13, 2017, 10:08:26 pm
Again....if he does, he does.

I would rather have Mike Norvell.

PRJ

http://media.jrn.com/documents/Mike+Norvell's+contract.pdf

Page 19 with Sexton's signature means he'll get all the $$$$.

Hawg Life

Quote from: The Boar War on November 13, 2017, 10:11:18 pm
Words matter.  You promise that it will not happen.  How do you know?  I'm not saying you aren't in the know but to promise that he will not be coach after Bielema is let go means you have some pretty good access.

It's not Gus.

1highhog

Quote from: hogblitz on November 13, 2017, 10:08:48 pm
So, who do you suspect is?

I have no idea on that, never said I did.  Without going into details, I just know that the Malzahns are not going to be leaving Auburn anytime soon unless he's fired.  I know that to be fact.   My choice as head coach would be to go out and get the best defensive coach out there, that would be either Brent Venables and or Dave Aranda.  Then, they could bring in the best assistants possible and especially a OC that brings and exciting offense that utilizes a dual threat QB.

1highhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 13, 2017, 10:10:39 pm
And I ain't campaigning for Gus. 6 years ago, maybe, but I am not. As I said, I would rather have Norvell....

PRJ

PRJ, by the way I wasn't taking a shot at you, hope you didn't take it that way.

WilsonHog

I always try to couch what I say in term of "I think" or "I believe." Usually works out better than using words like IS or NOT.

As far as our next coach, I want an Arkansas man. Malzahn or Norvell will do fine. I would also like to see Lunney retained and Tim Horton brought back on staff. I also want an Arkansas man as AD. Someone who knows our culture, our traditions, our history, our people.

I'm not sure how all this will work out, but based on what I've been told so far I will trust the decision-makers to orchestrate this thing in the best interest of our program. Whichever direction they take it in, I'm good with.

potus

I could live with Bret Bielema another year if they fire Long now!  Fire Long first.  Get an athletic director that has been a very successful head coach or that has been a very successful athlete on an championship team.  They have the background and instincts through their personal experiences to hire a good head coach i.e., Terry Don Phillips and Dabo Sweeney

WilsonHog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 13, 2017, 10:11:18 pm

Exactly. Language is a precise tool, to be used surgically. Words like "not," unqualified, are best reserved for statements like, "I know it's not daylight in Arkansas right now."

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 07:14:27 pm
Tubbs will hire Norvell, not Gus. But, it doesn't matter because Gus ain't going to be offered the job.

I am a little confused here.  Does Tubbs have any experience being an AD?

Hawg Life

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 13, 2017, 10:22:59 pm
I am a little confused here.  Does Tubbs have any experience being an AD?

No, but he's lobbying for AD here and Auburn or that's the rumor.. I hope we hire Mack Rhoades from Baylor.  I'm not sure Long will be gone. He may stay another year or less while looking for another job.

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 05:56:56 pm
Whatever your opinion on Jeff Long, firing him and Bielema both at this time of the year is not optimal.  It's going to set us back significantly. If you want Bielema gone and a decent replacement then firing Jeff long right now is not the recipe. 
Actually is JL is moving on, it is much better to do so before a move is made with CBB.  This allows the new AD to get his man and for the new HC to feel confident he will have a boss that supports him.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 10:27:56 pm
No, but he's lobbying for AD here and Auburn or that's the rumor.. I hope we hire Mack Rhoades from Baylor.  I'm not sure Long will be gone. He may stay another year or less while looking for another job.

Mack have Arkansas ties?

1highhog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 13, 2017, 10:22:46 pm
Exactly. Language is a precise tool, to be used surgically. Words like "not," unqualified, are best reserved for statements like, "I know it's not daylight in Arkansas right now."

I will say this for you then.  GUS WILL NOT BE OUR COACH PERIOD.  I am a 100% sure on this, this is not coming from a 2nd hand source, but,,, unless Gus is fired which is now highly unlikely the Malzahns are happy where they are.

WilsonHog

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 10:29:28 pm
I will say this for you then.  GUS WILL NOT BE OUR COACH PERIOD.  I am a 100% sure on this, this is not coming from a 2nd hand source, but,,, unles. Gus is fired which is now highly unlikely the Malzahns are happy where they are.

I'll note that you said "PERIOD" and "unles" in the same paragraph when talking about the prospect of Malzahn coming to Arkansas. "Unles" would seem to mitigate against 100%, stick-a-gun-to-my-head-if-I-am-wrong certainty.